• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Any patch notes?

Not on the PS4.
But it seems like this is the same patch as the PC beta one, from a few days ago.

Stuff like blocking doesn't consume that much stamina anymore, and being able to block every move, or being invincible for a moment after a finishing move, which I can both confirm.

hawk2025

I'm ready to say this is currently the underrated game of the year.

They've boiled down the Souls formula into a confident, unique, streamlined variant that stands on its own.

I'm really blown away.

I'm ready to say this is currently the underrated game of the year.

They've boiled down the Souls formula into a confident, unique, atreamlined variant that stands on its own.

I'm really blown away.

100%!
Just came back from playing Injustice 2 for some days, and I'm instantly and totally hooked into The Surge again :)

Q8D3vil

I was so hyped with this game, but i got injustice 2 and i've been spending tons of time unlocking good ass loot. I think im ready to start playing another SP game and concentrate on mp in injustice.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That solves the whole mystery, thank you very much.

Starting area out of the Medbay, moving right at each of the 1st 3 hammer guys, go through the boxes where you'll fight a berserker and the guy on the turret, take a right after the boxes, hard right at the bottom of the stairs below where the hammer and turret guys are, go up the stairs past the ARC bot. Through that door, you'll find 4 guys in Scarab armor.

Use the drone to bait them out individually, or you're in for trouble.

Jingo

Im so pissed, i just beat
black ceribrus and now i discovered i could have gotten his all set and weapon
i really want his 2.0 weapon!

h0tp0ck3t

Steelbook :D

IMG_20170530_182849_zpsnlpzgv95.jpg

DrSlek

I am always dodging as well but those fucks with the staff are all over the place with their attacks, it have a far reach that is the problem.

I'm currently up against the Security forces with staves. The best thing to do it wait for their jab or overhead smash. When the do that, dodge back or to the side then attack. Should give you enough time to land a couple of good combo hits before they recover.

If they're swinging sideways, just dodge back until they stop....or you could block. I honestly haven't tried blocking with their H attacks yet. I have blocked their jabs, so i know that works.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just chiming in to say after many hours of play I'm still enjoying the game greatly. Its a bit rough around the edges but never in a manner that hurts it to any serious extent and the good easily outshines the bad.

Holy shit, my new game + is fucked!
The first time I started it, the screen just stayed black after the opening.
Started it again and skipped the opening.
Now the game misses like 90% of textures and i can looking through walls almost everywhere.
Restarting the game or console does not help.

What the fuck, dude?

HStallion

Holy shit, my new game + is fucked!
The first time I started it, the screen just stayed black after the opening.
Started it again and skipped the opening.
Now the game misses like 90 of textures and i can looking through walls almost everywhere.
Restarting the game or console does not help.

What the fuck, dude?

Might be an issue with the latest patch they just put out.

HStallion

So how do you know if you got a 2.0 boss weapon or not? Does it actually say 2.0 in the name?

So how do you know if you got a 2.0 boss weapon or not? Does it actually say 2.0 in the name?

Yes it does.

PAX is don't let it shoot itself with rockets.
Firefly is knock off all legs.
Sister is don't destroy the welders in the second phase.
Black Cerberus is let PAX destroy the white tanks.
I don't know the last boss.

The game feels much more polished and better produced than LoTF.

HStallion

Yes it does.

I'm guessing bosses don't respawn if you return to the area to try again?

pa22word

Yes it does.

Last boss you get a weapon either way it just gives you a different one depending on where you targeted.

After fighting pax 4 times through various ng+s I still can't get him. I usually bash my head against him 3/4 time then say "fuck it I like other shit better anyways" lol >.>

DrSlek

Yes it does.

For the sister
you are allowed to destroy 2 welders in the second phase.
make sure you destroy the ones on the right. It'll make it easier to attack the brain.

HStallion

Also was there some other way to handle the guy trapped in the first area in the dark underground passage?
He instantly came at me and I ended up killing him unsure if that was the right thing to do.

Okay, about to start this up for the first time. Longtime Soulsborne player, even played through Lords of the Fallen and enjoyed it (!!!). Anything I need to know?

I'm guessing bosses don't respawn if you return to the area to try again?

No, NG is the only option.

Last boss you get a weapon either way it just gives you a different one depending on where you targeted.

After fighting pax 4 times through various ng+s I still can't get him. I usually bash my head against him 3/4 time then say "fuck it I like other shit better anyways" lol >.>

Yeah I think I targeted the right arm both times and got a different weapon. PAX is annoying.

For the sister
you are allowed to destroy 2 welders in the second phase.
make sure you destroy the ones on the right. It'll make it easier to attack the brain.

Cool, didn't know. I fought the whole fight those things annoying me.

Okay, about to start this up for the first time. Longtime Soulsborne player, even played through Lords of the Fallen and enjoyed it (!!!). Anything I need to know?

Combat is fast but so is the framerate! Don't worry too much about farming area 2 from anything higher than level 2 materials, you'll find out all that soon. Take your time and explore, lots of little secrets. Block and counter is extremely powerful.

DrSlek

Cool, didn't know. I fought the whole fight those things annoying me.
I knew you could kill 2, but I was trying to kill the front ones and then the ones at the rear for 3-4 attempts each until I realised the right side of the final platform would be relatively safe if I destroyed the arms on that side.

h0tp0ck3t

Also was there some other way to handle the guy trapped in the first area in the dark underground passage?
He instantly came at me and I ended up killing him unsure if that was the right thing to do.

I had the same outcome on both of my play throughs I think it's the only way

Yes it does.

The white tanks during Black Cerberus fight are for the head, chest and leg schematics of Black Cerberus set , V2 weapon and arm schematic is for cutting off his weapon arm. You can get the whole set and v2 weapon in one fight.

As for the Rouge Process you get the Claws of Gestalt for cutting off either left or right arm and Mimetic Edge for cutting off anything else from what I've tested.

Which armor is worth investing in, Onyx. Scareb, Goliath?
I am mainly using the one handed weapon.
Armor sets can give you better stability, higher damage at higher energy levels, etc. Gorgon gives you almost instant stamina regeneration and Lynx gives you increased attack speed. The implants are what really matters. My final build for NG+ was Iron Maus set with MG Cerberus and shield drone.

h0tp0ck3t

Which armor is worth investing in, Onyx. Scareb, Goliath?
I am mainly using the one handed weapon.

Alot of people swear by Lynx but I found it lacking later in the game. Gorgon is probably best. 50% less drone cost, lower stamina usage plus the stamina regen for having the full set.
Personally I use Proteus because I think it looks badass lol

Edit: Unrelated NG+ spoiler
I just now realized Claws of the Gestalt uses the Mimetic Edge (sword) for horizontal attacks and crazy fast claw combos with the vertical attack.
Absolutely my favorite weapon now

The white tanks during Black Cerberus fight are for the head, chest and leg schematics of Black Cerberus set , V2 weapon and arm schematic is for cutting off his weapon arm. You can get the whole set and v2 weapon in one fight.

As for the Rouge Process you get the Claws of Gestalt for cutting off either left or right arm and Mimetic Edge for cutting off anything else from what I've tested.

For [last boss weapon spoilers]
rogue process, I think you need to destroy all his limbs in the first phase and then cut off his right arm in the second phase.

hawk2025

I'm reaching the end :(

I have no earthly idea what some people were talking about saying that the game falls apart in the back half.

It's consistently brilliant. If anything, it only gets better and more intricate.

Heigic

Fun game and definitely underrated. Last boss was disappointing way too many health implants by that point and could just hit it with little thought.

I'm doing an N+ play through to get the 2.0 boss kills. The game seems pretty short in N+ as I know where to go and am not dying all the time. I got to the third area in a couple of hours. The amount of scrap required to upgrade armor seems a bit ridiculous though so doubt I will be going for a 3rd playthrough.

Jingo

Quick question, does the game goes automaticly to ng+? I want do the stuff i left behind , can i save ir for later or better do it before the final boss?

h0tp0ck3t

Quick question, does the game goes automaticly to ng+? I want do the stuff i left behind , can i save ir for later or better do it before the final boss?

Right to NG+ from the final boss so do whatever you want to finish before hand. Audio logs transfer to NG+ but quest progress resets

Playing New Game+ and damn, I think it's even more fun than my first playthrough :)
Might this be the best Euro-Jank game of the last few years?

I really hope the game is selling decent enough for them, so they can further improve with the next game.
I smell incredible potential.

Opa-Pa

I've been reading a lot of positive impressions on GAF and especially in this thread so I ended up impulse buying this earlier today, oops.

I'm a huge Souls fans and Nioh kind of disappointed me to the point I dropped it (I plan on going back to it after beating this), but this looks so fresh. I had 0 hope in it due to Lords of The Fallen but the sci fi approach is really cool and people seem to like it, so why not.

Just started it and I'm very excited. Kind of a bummer it doesn't have a character creator, but Warren being a disabled person gives it positive points, and I hope the game having a pre established protagonist pays off at some point, although I don't care much about story in these games.

HStallion

Damn the difficulty really does ratchet up in the second area but the Lynx set with my PAX are making short work of them. I gotta admit those fucking twin rig chainsaw dudes are a bitch to fight with how fast and aggressive they are. Is there a proper way to dodge their charging attack because even a well timed dodge well out of the way isn't enough to avoid it.

Also how do you do the jump/duck dodge move? Is that an implant?

*Splinter

Damn the difficulty really does ratchet up in the second area but the Lynx set with my PAX are making short work of them. I gotta admit those fucking twin rig chainsaw dudes are a bitch to fight with how fast and aggressive they are. Is there a proper way to dodge their charging attack because even a well timed dodge well out of the way isn't enough to avoid it.

Also how do you do the jump/duck dodge move? Is that an implant?
Block and then right stick up/down.

I think you can change it in the options to left stick now. Default controls are a little janky imo

Opa-Pa

So yeah after a couple hours and making it to the second area, I'm definitely loving this game. It even makes time fly like Souls.

Movesets are nice, the mechanics feel familiar yet they all have their own original twist, and the atmosphere is actually pretty good too. Sure some animations are janky and stuff like that, but it's all pretty minor compared to how solid the game is.

I rescued a couple of guys in the second area and called it a day. Can't wait till I have time to play again.

HStallion

Block and then right stick up/down.

I think you can change it in the options to left stick now. Default controls are a little janky imo

Wow that was a game changer for the chainsaw enemies. I'm guessing its possible to dodge most attacks with that? Still kind of testing it out. They should really tell players how to use that ability as it makes a lot of fights much more manageable.

h0tp0ck3t

Wow that was a game changer for the chainsaw enemies. I'm guessing its possible to dodge most attacks with that? Still kind of testing it out. They should really tell players how to use that ability as it makes a lot of fights much more manageable.

They do at some point. I remember seeing it on a wall near an enemy that needs to be counter attacked to be easily beaten. I could never get the timing right so I just ran past them lol

HStallion

Yeah the gameplay mechanics are now clicking for me a lot better as I kind of had to learn them for the second area which is far more brutal than the first. Finally got my implant load out sorted out and things are going much smoother.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just accidentally found out that holding down the button, on one piece of armor, will equip the full set.

On PC this is left mouse button.

Umbasa.

HStallion

There are a surprising amount of quality of life things the game doesn't even really high light. Even the granularity of the slow down during finishing moves was really nice to see as I actually left it on but only when acquiring new weapons and armor which is a little gratifying extra for me but also didn't over do it either.

Top Bottom