• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis reaches out to Night Trap dev to help bring game to Switch and retail

You guys have to educate me on what's wrong with Nicalis.

Delays. Basically anything they touch not called :"Binding of Issac Rebirth" gets delayed for a minimum of a year with absolutely no explanation. Hell, Europe is still waiting for the Switch version of Afterbirth+. They also have a fantastic record of picking up indie games to publish, and said indie games immediately disappearing into the ether, never to be found.

_Clash_

I'll forgive them once they get a proper European distributor.
Can you believe that we're still missing on Binding of Isaac ?

Yes but we are getting it and our retail pre orders will have Zelda manual and stickers ( at least in AU)

I'll take it

I remember when I backed the Night Trap kickstarter, they went into detail about their animosity with Nintendo. They weren't interested in doing business with them after the way Nintendo treated them back in the day, and only turned around because of fan outcry. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Here.

Also don't forget The 90s Arcade Racer debacle.

It looks like the game is being renamed 90s Super GP for the Switch, PC and PS4 yet you still wouldn't know because Nicalis still hasn't said a lick about any of it.

Delays. Basically anything they touch not called :"Binding of Issac Rebirth" gets delayed for a minimum of a year with absolutely no explanation. Hell, Europe is still waiting for the Switch version of Afterbirth+. They also have a fantastic record of picking up indie games to publish, and said indie games immediately disappearing into the ether, never to be found.

They take forever to release stuff in europe and they completely forgot to ever release 90s arcade racer

I've had a few devs tell me they are absolutely horrific to work with.

Stay away from them if your a dev.

Oh dear, that is really shitty of them. I was genuinely asking because I only know one of their games and it was pretty good, but had no idea about their horrible track record. Thank you guys for responding.

Well I really wanted 90's Arcade Racer, and it was one of the reasons I got a wii u in 2013 but hey this terrible FMV game that was only ever talked about ironically as an example of 90s fmv cheese is just as good.

Nicalis, all is forgiven.

The Hermit

La mulana :(

While I'm not going to praise them for how they treat Europe, they have been shipping all of their Switch titles on time and they've been doing a rather nice job with their physical packaging without having to charge a major premium. Perhaps they've managed to find a nice vacuum on the platform as they're not having to compete as fiercely, but whatever they've been doing has been working out really well for them.

Are they still bundling stolen mod content into their Cave Story releases?

Can't blame them considering the history.

hqdefault.jpg

Although I don't think that's the issue, well, at least not fully.

howard lincoln was ruthless

Piers

It's a shame the Kickstarter for a spiritual successor didn't succeed because honestly, it's a very unique and cool idea.
For how logistically difficult it is to get live action working amongst switching cameras, I do hope this concept is revisited at some point. I think it would of made good use of the Wii U gamepad.

ghibli99

I would but it right away, but Nicalis is pure poison and can bugger off.
*shrug* I like their physical Switch releases, even though they're priced a bit too high. There's some real effort that went into their contents vs. just throwing the game on a cart and calling it a day.

And despite some bugs, 1001 Spikes on Wii U was definitely a favorite of mine.

cj_iwakura

It's a shame the Kickstarter for a spiritual successor didn't succeed because honestly, it's a very unique and cool idea.
For how logistically difficult it is to get live action working amongst switching cameras, I do hope this concept is revisited at some point. I think it would of made good use of the Wii U gamepad.
They are working on a sequel.

Vinnk

I would but it right away, but Nicalis is pure poison and can bugger off.

I don't know about them as a developer. They might be a total nightmare.

But the 2 Switch releases I bought from them, Issac and Cave Story were both really nice. Good extras (cd and manual) and reasonably priced. As a consumer, I have no problem with them.

Top Bottom