• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like literally every discussion about Annie goes in circles. We go somewhere with her, and people get excited, and then someone complains about how she's a little girl and we go down that particular rabbit hole for a bit. Rinse and repeat.

I'd rather have Minette over Annie. I'm opposed to little girl characters but at least Minette is a fish thing. Annie is literally a little girl with an eyepatch, the kawaii double strap kind. Not even a badass one

have you even seen her backstory or know ANYTHING about her? she's badass and pretty much one of those "she's actually 1000000 years"

I feel like literally every discussion about Annie goes in circles. We go somewhere with her and then someone complains about how she's a little girl and then we go somewhere else. Rinse and repeat.

She is. With a star motif. She sounds very boring to me and the packaging doesn't have much to do with it. I probably should have mentioned that the new gameplay elements are what got me onto this point.

Had to poke the hive for the new page ;)

have you even seen her backstory or know ANYTHING about her? she's badass and pretty much one of those "she's actually 1000000 years"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

She is. With a star motif. She sounds very boring to me and the packaging doesn't have much to do with it. I probably should have mentioned that the new gameplay elements are what got me onto this point.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

she's badass like Cars

Mike has said that Annie would act like a Badass

Jintor

The appeal of a kawaii star mahou shoujo kicking the shit out of someone and just generally being a serious badass is amazing.

Moonlight

Banned

Pretty hard to tell when the only thing you're doing is complaining about the packaging, lol. Especially when deceptive appearance is literally the whole point. Alex pretty much went out and said that she's a grizzled war hero in magical girl's clothing.

But you really don't see any potential in how the galaxy is literally her arsenal? Quasars, spatial tears, sword beams, meteorites, suns, black holes, none of that seems like it could serve interesting gameplay ideas or offer visual spectacle? Stuff like that immediately captures my attention, and I can see so much that could be done with it, just from the hints that Alex dropped.

Solune

I feel like literally every discussion about Annie goes in circles. We go somewhere with her, and people get excited, and then someone complains about how she's a little girl and we go down that particular rabbit hole for a bit. Rinse and repeat.

This sounds like what happens to me, except it's when people talk about Beowulf.

wildfire

Banned
That's the thing with potential. It can potentially be well made or crap. Past magical star girls have sucked aesthetically in fighting games. I'm willing to hold my breath to see Labzero's implementation because their art direction isn't unintentionally nauseating.

[edit]
Well when Beowulf is constantly paired up with Scythana he does look like a bit of a girly-man.

Moonlight

Banned
This entire vote is about potential
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I don't know for sure if Isaac's time travel shenanigans could be as game-changing as it sounds, but the potential is there, and so is the talent, and that's why I've kept a vote on him. The same could be said for practically every other character available to vote. If we're not voting on potential of mechanics, visuals, or story, what are we voting on? What's guaranteed?

But you really don't see any potential in how the galaxy is literally her arsenal? Quasars, spatial tears, sword beams, meteorites, suns, black holes, none of that seems like it could serve interesting gameplay ideas or offer visual spectacle? Stuff like that immediately captures my attention, and I can see so much that could be done with it, just from the hints that Alex dropped.

That's the thing. All I'm imagining is regular moves (dps, rush punches, flash kicks etc.) with sparkles and galaxy fireballs. Pretty much stars/rainbow Ken

I don't have much of an imagination :(

With respect to Isaac/Aeon, telling me a character is a time character is a lot more captivating than a regular character that harnesses the power of (blank)

she's badass like Cars

Annie throwing gang signs in fabulous poses would definitely bring me around.

Loona

Well when Beowulf is constantly paired up with Scythana he does look like a bit of a girly-man.

What story there is for him makes it clear he can certainly keep up with her supposed advantages, it sort of is the whole point of depicting them together.

From Salty Cupcakes and Alex, Annie could, among other things (and I missed some stuff because my stream loves skipping whenever Annie comes up):

- Ride Sagan like a scooter.
- Shoot beams from her sword.
- Create quasars that shoot hot streams of gas.
- An uppercut with a nebula effect.

Don't forget the most important part - create a minature realistic sun. LOLOLOL

Hot damn. I guess Utsuho wasn't being reffed just for the galaxy motif. It feels great to be wrong!

Espada

tumblr_mlhm71mSQ11rnx5rho1_1280.png

Wow, this is just awesome. Eliza + Gurren Lagann is an awesome combo. She's still my favorite one, both in looks and gameplay concept/dynamics.

From Salty Cupcakes and Alex, Annie could, among other things (and I missed some stuff because my stream loves skipping whenever Annie comes up):

Don't forget the most important part - create a minature realistic sun. LOLOLOL
Oh holy hell this sounds awesome.

Loona

I don't like the whole "I'm gonna tame you" feel I get from him when associated with her.

That's not what I see in those pics. The association may just derive from the mention of gigans for both their stories, which have no other major presence in the game with the possible exception of the bigger horned skulls in the Marie boss fight.
She's only mentioned as a captive in Parasoul's story, and he's only briefly mentioned by Andy, which barely counts as a separate character, so it's hard to tie them in nicely with the existing cast in the way fangirl Parasoul does.

It really would have been nice to have the character info, both regarding story/seting and gameplay, expand in the "3rd character" page of he LabZero for a bit more to hold on to when making a decision.
As it stands, some characters simply have more going for them to to more mentions in game and the official site's profiles of the currently playable cast...

It's kind of annoying when stuff gets mentioned in streams (which are kinda long and impractical if you're in the "wrong" time zone), but doesn't get officially compiled somewhere, and odd we hear more from Mike than we do from Alex, who's probably having to twist some story plans to fit time and budget constraints, but now also the whims of the voting fandom, but should still have some solid story concepts that can survive that...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Awesomeness

Thanks!

It always feels a bit unfair when this kind of info comes out, and for one character, because it does feel like it'd sway votes, because it's the "hot topic of the moment"...

...but in the end, this kind of detail is par the course for a Skullgirls character. About the only thing that REALLY surprises me, is that they'd give her a BEAM, rather than "GUNFLAME!", as that should really help her full-screen game.

This entire vote is about potential

No kidding! It's why I'm most sad when people don't "think outside the box" with what's already there... Look at the amount of detail they went into with Annie here, now imagine that much focus placed on what we've heard of someone like Stanley. People would probably be just as impressed, in some ways.

I don't know for sure if Isaac's time travel shenanigans could be as game-changing as it sounds, but the potential is there, and so is the talent, and that's why I've kept a vote on him. The same could be said for practically every other character available to vote. If we're not voting on potential of mechanics, visuals, or story, what are we voting on? What's guaranteed?

I wish we knew what kind of moves Issac had. "Time travel!" is nice, but the whole thing would change depending on if he's time looping projectiles, rapid punches, attack-grab attempts, or parts of rekka chains.

Glad you like it! Was afraid it'd get lost amongst all the post!

----

Personally, of Mike's "To Do" list, I think I'm most hype in seeing Roxie's "Build" Mechanics prototyped, because I can't really think about any other FG characters that offer such a mechanic; Emmett in PSASBR is probably the closest that comes to mind, and that's an entirely different realm of gameplay.

REALLY hope the character Gameplay-concepts info pages get Upgraded for these final vote rounds. HELP GIVE EVERYONE A LEGIT CHANCE! (It'd be too much to ask for some special move sketch concepts, but that would be wonderful...)

Beckx

It always feels a bit unfair when this kind of info comes out, and for one character, because it does feel like it'd sway votes, because it's the "hot topic of the moment"...

...but in the end, this kind of detail is par the course for a Skullgirls character. About the only thing that REALLY surprises me, is that they'd give her a BEAM, rather than "GUNFLAME!", as that should really help her full-screen game.

----[cut]-----

REALLY hope the character Gameplay-concepts info pages get Upgraded for these final vote rounds. HELP GIVE EVERYONE A LEGIT CHANCE! (It'd be too much to ask for some special move sketch concepts, but that would be wonderful...)

Yes, but at least the good news is that Thursday nights are likely the best time - almost all the voting is apparently over by then, and it's still days away from the new vote on Monday.

But absolutely agree that the final round should have an update with (roughly equal) concepting for the final four. It may not matter, but you never know.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yes, but at least the good news is that Thursday nights are likely the best time - almost all the voting is apparently over by then, and it's still days away from the new vote on Monday.

But absolutely agree that the final round should have an update with (roughly equal) concepting for the final four. It may not matter, but you never know.

Yeah, most who watch Salty Cupcakes probably voted minute/day 1, so at least that's good.

I really wouldn't mind getting to wait a while before Character Vote 2, and using the time in between to flesh out and explain character concepts better. There could be some real "diamonds in the rough" that people are sleeping on, because their ideas are unfairly swayed by 1 character inspiration example, or a lack of knowing what the characters real "hook" will be like.

I agree here: a DP and Sagan Car are at least two things you could guesstimate out from her inspirations list. But I expect that she will have even more surprising things than a beam or the micro-sun if she gets in.

I mean, many of her other inspirations gameplay-wise were either so generic or vague it was hard to get a playstyle out of her outside of "sword-derivative shoto toolkit", which I knew 100% wasn't going to be the end product. You don't have to look past how Filia turned out to understand why.

No kidding! It's why I'm most sad when people don't "think outside the box" with what's already there... Look at the amount of detail they went into with Annie here, now imagine that much focus placed on what we've heard of someone like Stanley. People would probably be just as impressed, in some ways.

I totally agree here. This competition would be a lot more interesting if everyone was running off the faith that whichever character is picked is going to have some unique and interesting concepts guaranteed, but sadly it takes some feature/spotlight work to convince others.

For example, if there had been some concept art of Talesin [literally] objectifying women like they described or a model of his type of gameplay, I bet he would have at least made it past Round One. And I'm not even a huge fan of puppet-style characters.

Personally, of Mike's "To Do" list, I think I'm most hype in seeing Roxie's "Build" Mechanics prototyped, because I can't really think about any other FG characters that offer such a mechanic; Emmett in PSASBR is probably the closest that comes to mind, and that's an entirely different realm of gameplay.

The only thing I have against everyone getting a chance is really just the 'time is money' aspect. It'd be nice if it was possible, but we'd need someone to clone Mike a few times.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I totally agree here. This competition would be a lot more interesting if everyone was running off the faith that whichever character is picked is going to have some unique and interesting concepts guaranteed, but sadly it takes some feature/spotlight work to convince others.

For example, if there had been some concept art of Talesin [literally] objectifying women like they described or a model of his type of gameplay, I bet he would have at least made it past Round One. And I'm not even a huge fan of puppet-style characters.

Yeah, I'd love to see even just 1 "key special move" or "unique Normal" sketch'd image, or something of the sort.

The only thing I have against everyone getting a chance is really just the 'time is money' aspect. It'd be nice if it was possible, but we'd need someone to clone Mike a few times.

Im surprised Mike is even making gameplay proof-of-concepts and such, really. I'd figure the artist would be giving us roughs before he does!

Ravidrath

One of our contractors lives near the current Boston manhunt action.

Their house was inspected by the SWAT team, there were explosions within 150 feet of their place, etc.

Crazy shit.

Nyoro SF

One of our contractors lives near the current Boston manhunt action.

Their house was inspected by the SWAT team, there were explosions within 150 feet of their place, etc.

Crazy shit.

I live like 3 minutes from where the manhunt is taking place. I was forced to sit inside and play Dark Souls all day.

wildfire

Banned
I live like 3 minutes from where the manhunt is taking place. I was forced to sit inside and play Dark Souls all day.

It's crazy how much they locked you guys down and they probably did that (in addition to clearing away any additional bombs) because they wanted to make sure if any additional suspects could be found they would have a harder time leaving the city.

I wish for you the best circumstances out of this disaster.

Ultimadrago

It's crazy how much they locked you guys down and they probably did that (in addition to clearing away any additional bombs) because they wanted to make sure if any additional suspects could be found they would have a harder time leaving the city.

I wish for you the best circumstances out of this disaster.

Indeed. Best of hopes to you guys out there.

Top Bottom