• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Sanjay

Phloxy said:
So the game works fine on my rig. HOWEVER, my rig is far above normal.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
Evga 480 in SLI
12 gigs of ddr3 ram

Get 60 on average but it dips down whenever there is a text overlay on screen. Still, with my rig, I should be getting 200 fps, not 60. So, damn shame on the port.

Post some pictures please.

IronRinn

Going to have to go through this thread later but, as it stands, I can't even get Stranger's Wrath to run. Screen goes black and I have sound but no video whatsoever. Incredibly frustrating as it appears I now own two copies of this game, neither of which I can play.

stuminus3

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
...the CEO is a bit down...
Aww... he should give Denis Dyack a call, I hear he's looking for friends on GAF.

Actually no, he shouldn't. I still actually like Denis Dyack. I told you guys I was forgiving.

eznark

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Everyone on the team is shocked and working very hard to rectify these issues.

Wow, it's shocking to me that not a single person on the team bothered to boot up the games and play them before shipping. That is the only possible way anyone involved could be shocked.

Teknoman

stuminus3 said:
Aww... he should give Denis Dyack a call, I hear he's looking for friends on GAF.

Actually no, he shouldn't. I still actually like Denis Dyack. I told you guys I was forgiving.

But that would cause some kinda crossover fight sequel to GAF vs Dyack. I dont think I was around on GAF when it happened...but I guess it was something like this:

332tq1v.gif

wwm0nkey said:
Good news guys Much is getting a patch TONIGHT!

As for Stranger the devlopers said the CEO is a bit down but the dev team is in good spirits and will have a patch out somtime after the new year.

Oh also here are new PS3 shots

I wonder what the Munch patch will fix? Oh and was this posted on the Steam forums or something?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
wwm0nkey said:
I think the main problem here is that there are many different things to account for when doing a PC port, the game could have run buttery smooth at their office PC's and ect but with other PC's....not so much.
If compatibility testing isn't part of their development cycle, the programming lead needs to be fired ASAP

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I find it hilarious that the one dev said these issues weren't there during testing.

Either:
A: He's lying
B: The testers fraudulently misreported the performance of the game (ALL of the testers)
C: The testing processes in the studio are completely flawed beyond repair, and the entire testing system needs to be scrapped and redone.

stuminus3 said:
Hey Zaraki_Kenpachi, thought you might be interested to know... I loaded up Munch on my laptop with the integrated Intel GMA X4500 GPU, and sure enough, the game craps out just the same as it does on my gaming desktop at home.

That's a pretty wide spectrum of hardware that this junk doesn't work on!

Cool, thanks. I can't think of what could be happening. I'm afraid I'm jinxing myself by even saying this but I can't understand what's going on that I made it to where you switch to Munch fine on my desktop. Only people with ATI cards were complaining so I assumed that was it but now other Nvidia users are complaining.

My specs is

Core 2 Duo E6750 @2.66
4GB Ram
2 8800GTs in SLI
Windows 7 Professional.

I can't see what is different about my setup. Maybe I'll try run not and SLI and see if it crashes? That would be really weird since SLI usually causes more compatibility issues.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My specs is

Core 2 Duo E6750 @2.66
4GB Ram
2 8800GTs in SLI
Windows 7 Professional.

Thats pretty close to my specs, I have a different variation on your CPU and graphics card (I cant remember exactly which numbers as I'm not at my PC) and only have one graphics card (8600 I think?) and it crashes for me.

Are you on the dev team? you seem to be going to a lot of effort to stop it working...

Munin

GaimeGuy said:
I find it hilarious that the one dev said these issues weren't there during testing.

Either:
B: The testers fraudulently misreported the performance of the game (ALL of the testers)
C: The testing processes in the studio are completely flawed beyond repair, and the entire testing system needs to be scrapped and redone.

or

D: There are no testers nor any "testing system" to speak of.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
epmode said:
I don't understand. How can anyone responsible for this port be surprised by our reaction? The only thing that makes sense is that they've never played a PC game before.

Let me clear that up - the team is shocked that the games came out and those technical issues were present. In-house, they were rock solid and ran great, even on Stew's shitty 5 year old laptop. QA reports did come back clean. Real, *actual* shock.

boutrosinit

eznark said:
Wow, it's shocking to me that not a single person on the team bothered to boot up the games and play them before shipping. That is the only possible way anyone involved could be shocked.

Actually, we did. :)

The game even worked on a bootcamp Mac.

Bottom line is this was a total curve-ball. Sometimes in development, you get issues that only surface post-release. Or something was missed in QA (rare, but it happens).

All we can do now is do whatever it takes to fix it so you guys having problems get the experience you paid for.

StuBurns

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Let me clear that up - the team is shocked that the games came out and those technical issues were present. In-house, they were rock solid and ran great, even on Stew's shitty 5 year old laptop. QA reports did come back clean. Real, *actual* shock.
While you're here, straight up, is the PS3 SKU running fine? Because when that ships, there is no room for hardware differences being blamed.

I intend to buy it, I hope I'm not fucked over.

On a side note, I've never met another 'Stewart' except the guy I was named after, strange.

boutrosinit said:

The thing is, even if they weren't so buggy they would still be the absolute bare minimum for what's acceptable in a port. There was almost no effort put into making these games feel like they should be played on a pc. The fact that they set the bar that low and then tripped on it is just hilarious.

railGUN

Banned
You too can spend your winter holidays testing and reporting bugs for the low price of $7.50.

I'm so tempted to gift this to my enemies :lol

Edit: I dunno where I got $7.50 from, this shit is $18.50 on sale... wow.

Firehead

Wow. I managed to keep it from crashing in the first room and collected all of the spooce (that I could find) and it says I'm one short. Please tell me I'm missing one that's well hidden. This can't be another bug.

Edit:
Nevermind! Had to regrow them or whatever.

stuminus3

Banned
boutrosinit said:
So why the flying mother of all fuck did he come to NeoGAF and tell us things like we were wrong to expect to be able to play with regular modern resolutions and framerates on top-end hardware?

Here, let me do the PR.

"Hi guys, Stew from Just Add Water here. I'm sorry to hear that our game isn't running so good for all of you. We're working hard on sorting this out and we'll get a patch to you as soon as we can."

There, done. That's all it needed. Just three simple sentences and PC-GAF would have loved him.

Here's what we actually got:

"Derp, derp, ninjas!"

ghst

thanks for the laugh
boutrosinit said:

if you list the specs of each of your test machines, we can surely find posters with similar setups and determine the validity of your claims and find out which setups are okay to run this game on.

and what is your idea of a "rock solid" performance for a game that ran at 30fps/480p on a pentium III/geforce 4200 equivalent, on a modern machine - in your opinion is anything less than an unwavering 60fps at 1980x1080 technically acceptable, given the specs involved?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I cracked open a bottle of port, rolled a (medical) joint, turned down the lights, and read this thread. God I love the internet.

Tendo

Meh, I feel kind of bad posting Steam mess in here. Dude is just doing his job. Summed up

Steam is able to open it in a window = no refund. So either they fix it or we are stuck.

Damn, that Munch port is bad.

At first, I try to move arround with the 360 controller, and Abe doesn't want to move. So I try to play it with the keyboard because there's no controller options at all in the menus. Then the default keyboard layout is absolutely crazy, the camera speed on the mouse is extremely low and it's a pain to play. Then I read on the internet that you have to switch some running/walking option in the keyboard setting to get 360 controls. Then, I try to play again but the second stick doesn't move the camera. Well at least I could play for 20 minutes and I didn't crash :lol Oh, and no resolution options in 2010 (at least let me play in windowed mode), when most users have LCD screens that are TERRIBLE at upscaling is pretty nasty too, I would have liked some dubs, but at this point, I'd just like the game to control fine...

It's a good thing I waited for the PS3 version of Stranger's Wrath, from what I've read it's even worst.

boutrosinit said:

100% false.

The CEO of the company confirmed in this very thread that he was getting a meagre 30fps at a pitiful 1024x768 on a laptop with a Core 2 Duo and 8600GT. That is simply atrocious performance for an Xbox port. That is worse than the performance that machine would get in any random Xbox 360 port. So you honestly believe that Stranger's Wrath performing worse than, say, Unreal Tournament 3 or Batman: AA is somehow acceptable?

He knew the product was horrendous, he's admitted to it.

Why tarnish your reputation defending the indefensible, this guy has let you down as much as anyone else, and you'd do well dissociating yourself from him.

Also one of the worst parts of the port that no one has brought up is the fact that its incompatible with anisotropic filtering. Of the 200+ games I've played on this system this is only the second game I've ever tried that is incompatible with anisotropic filtering. It looks hideous and completely spoils the visuals. Of course, there's no MSAA support either despite their not being a single good reason for that but alas, its the last thing I was expecting from this POS.

boutrosinit

StuBurns said:
While you're here, straight up, is the PS3 SKU running fine? Because when that ships, there is no room for hardware differences being blamed.

I intend to buy it, I hope I'm not fucked over.

On a side note, I've never met another 'Stewart' except the guy I was named after, strange.

Stewart is a weird name... I agree. Sounds like someone in charge of stew, or stewing. Not as strange as 'Duncan' though.

Anyway - what I've seen of the PS3 Sku looks promising, but it's way too early to bother opining meaningfully. There's a fair amount of the art in, but it's still quite a few months away at least.

I'm sure you'll see video of the game running within a few months, so my advice would be to judge for yourself at that time. :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
brain_stew said:
He knew the product was horrendous, he's admitted to it.

That's a little harsh...imo, he just seemed very naive about the industry he was working in. And boy was he especially naive about how to interact with his target audience. I wonder what Stew's last job was?

StuBurns

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Stewart is a weird name... I agree. Sounds like someone in charge of stew, or stewing. Not as strange as 'Duncan' though.

Anyway - what I've seen of the PS3 Sku looks promising, but it's way too early to bother opining meaningfully. There's a fair amount of the art in, but it's still quite a few months away at least.

I'm sure you'll see video of the game running within a few months, so my advice would be to judge for yourself at that time. :)
I thought it was first quarter for some reason, it's just down for 2011 according to wiki so that's fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

bistromathics said:
That's a little harsh...imo, he just seemed very naive about the industry he was working in. And boy was he especially naive about how to interact with his target audience. I wonder what Stew's last job was?

Not really. If someone in charge of a company developing PC games believes that a port of an Xbox game running worse than Crysis is acceptable, then he needs a new job. Heck, we ban people here on GAF for showing less ignorance than that. How can anyon in anyway associated with videogames not work out that something is wrong with that scenario?

honestly can't comprehend how he managed to con Lorne Lanning into giving his studio charge of the PC port of his treasured IP.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GaimeGuy said:

Either:
I find B to be plausible, if the number of testers is something small like 1 to 3 guys, or testing was outsourced.

stuminus3

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Stewart is a weird name... I agree. Sounds like someone in charge of stew, or stewing. Not as strange as 'Duncan'...
Well that's just fucking great, now you guys are making fun of my name. Way to add insult to injury. :lol

"Stewart" is the crappy way to spell it, though.

Drkirby said:
I find B to be plausible, if the number of testers is something small like 1 to 3 guys, or testing was outsourced.

Or D, the guy responsible for having the final say on what is deemed as acceptable performance, believes that an age old Xbox port running worse than Crysis is A-OK.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GoldenHelmet said:
With the GREATEST of respects, you say "has anyone here been able to run the game as intended".

There was no commitments to HD modes or 60fps BUT saying that we have played it on various machines at 40fps at 1280x900 etc. Whilst this MAY not be ideal for some of you, it's certainly a lot better than the original Xbox version at 640x480 locked at 30fps.

Guys, we are totally distraught by the reactions, please don't perform a Witch Hunt, we are trying to fix these issues as soon as we can, so in the meantime, please hang in there.

Stewart Gilray
CEO - Just Add Water (Developments) Ltd.
GoldenHelmet said:
Just to Clarify ...

I certainly wasn't attacking anyone with my last post, re: HD etc. I was just asking a question.

As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that, I do NOT (personally) need to see the game running at 60+ fps to be made happy, the GAME is everything do me.

Where the problem lies is *I* didn't actually think PC gamers were ninjas at wanting the highest FPS NO MATTER WHAT!

So from my point of view, I'm sorry, my bad. FYI I'm the CEO of JAW not a programmer, I will now move to beat our programmers to make sure they fix the issue.

Saying that I do believe there is actually "glitch" causing the slow down, what I'm seeing is that machines with higher specs should be running quicker, but for some reason the speed is simply NOT coming through, THAT IS A PROBLEM, and is likely one that can be resolved.

So please bear with us! :D thanks
GoldenHelmet said:
I'm done here guys, I'm just trying to talk to you like an adult and ask for opinion and suggestion, and offer something back.

I'm NOT trying to piss you off, I'm NOT trying to make you look like children or treat you as such.

Good luck and take care.
I, just, ...what. I don't even. SMH

The thing that most stands out to me is the ignorance towards performance and coding.
I saw your initial post saying that there would be updates and I expected a competent PC port so I purchased the game today without hesitation.

I sincerely hope you have some incredible coders and debuggers on your team to help rectify this, as well as a good PR person. I do appreciate the fact that you'd come out and try to troubleshoot and talk, but that is not what your consumer base wants to hear.

It's a shame to see this not running correctly.

Has anyone tried it with XP? I only see reports of W7.

Hell, try W2000, it should be super duper compatible with Xbox1.

Glix

PetriP-TNT said:

I run XP

My rig is crappy, I can run Half Life 2 @ 60 fps with settings maxed, The Witcher at Medium Settings in 720 widescreen. I have an older ATI card. I'm not at home, so I don't have my exact specs

I'm having the same exact issues as everyone else.

Munch crashed in the first room.

SW ran, but with a terrible terrible framerate. (on medium.)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PetriP-TNT said:

I'll be trying it on my rig soon.

wind_steaker said:
Thats pretty close to my specs, I have a different variation on your CPU and graphics card (I cant remember exactly which numbers as I'm not at my PC) and only have one graphics card (8600 I think?) and it crashes for me.

Are you on the dev team? you seem to be going to a lot of effort to stop it working...
:lol Not at all but if it gets some of my favorite games working and gets it fixed for everyone else it's worth it. I'm sure the dev team is working on it but since we're all posting anyhow if we can find some similarity in why it isn't working it can only help to get it fixed quicker.

Speaking of which I'm at my slow ass home internet so it probably won't be until late tonight before I can test it on my macbook pro.

PetriP-TNT said:

Yes, the machine I tried this afternoon w/ the x1650pro was an XP machine and it crashed during the opening room so it's not the OS. The other crash I had was on my tablet with a 4550 ATI card thus with other's complaints being from machines with ATI GPUs I thought something with ATI cards may have been the problem.

boutrosinit said:
Actually, we did. :)

The game even worked on a bootcamp Mac.

Bottom line is this was a total curve-ball. Sometimes in development, you get issues that only surface post-release. Or something was missed in QA (rare, but it happens).

All we can do now is do whatever it takes to fix it so you guys having problems get the experience you paid for.

Hey since you seem to be good with JAW, can I ask a favor of you? Would you be able to get us complete specs for some of the machines they had it running smoothly on? I'm curious if we can find someone with something similar to see what could be the difference between their machines and some of ours. I'd really appreciate it if you could.

Just wanted to make a new post so mine wasn't too huge but I just got this email back from JAW tonight

JAW Support said:
Actually Munch is DirectX, only Stranger is OpenGL powered.

We have just uploaded a potentially crash free version of Munch to Valve, so keep an eye out.

I don't know if there is a delay or what have you in when they up something to when it's distributed on Steam so this is definitely a good sign if they have made this much progress. Just wanted to share for those interested.

Edit: Beaten at the top of the page saying there will be a patch. :p

Just read this thread from launch day up to current and...wow. Astonishing. Easily Hall of Fame material, hands-down Fail of the Year, if not the decade.

I don't know what's worse, a CEO on GAF expecting us to sit at his feet and show proper deference...I mean, is that how things are in the office, man? Maybe that's your problem. "Positive feedback ONLY" isn't the best policy for the man upstairs. Small wonder you're so clueless.

Anyway, I was making a point. I don't know what's worse, this asshat snake-oil salesman's behavior, or the handful of gaffers who were all too eager to leap to his defense. How embarrassing. Did you guys read the thread before the "OMG GAF SO RUDE" bullshit you posted? Nobody was even that rude, meanwhile if this guy had said some of those things in many of the other threads on this forum, he would have been banned for it. I suspect he still would be banned if there wasn't some small chance that he might return for another glorious display of spectacular failure (or...you know. To apologize for his patronizing and demeaning behavior). FWIW, if that's what we should expect from direct communication from developers and publishers, they wouldn't have a place in this community to begin with. At all. Fortunately, it's not. Plenty of people in the industry have shown they can be "adult" in their conversations with gamers (OMG I just wanted to have an ADULT conversation was perhaps the most insulting line from this guy's diatribe).

Brief aside: I cannot wait for the inevitable "So Here's What Happened With the Oddboxx" blog post from one of the folks in the trenches. JAW devs: We want this story, from beginning to end, particularly the meltdown which is occurring as we speak. TAKE NOTES. :D

Ultimately, the losers here aren't those who were swindled into plopping down cash for this. I feel for you guys but it happens. We're PC gamers and we will never fully escape this; if JAW had said "we're working on it" and put their collective nose to the grindstone this thread would not be 18 pages. No, it's Lorne Lanning and any and all Oddworld fans, everywhere. This series has been on life support for years, since even before Stranger's Wrath was released to be perfectly honest. This bullshit does nothing to help advance the case for more Oddworld games in the future. So, that's why I'm pissed...for my part, anyway. Can I get a show of hands from people who have played these games to death and told their friends to buy this? Yeah, that's me. Somehow I doubt many potential converts will be brought into the fold by this stinking smear of shit on their HDs.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that HD patch, were I you. Or for the game to ever run close to what you were expecting, for that matter. This CEO's behavior smacks of someone not surprised by how buggy his port turned out to be, but rather by our "behavior." He was expecting you to swallow, you ungrateful whores.

Just disgusting. Bleh. If I were Lorne Lanning I would be doing my damnedest to get SW out of JAW's...well...jaws, and into the hands of a capable developer. I seriously doubt JAW can fix this...even if they have the talent, they are going to run out of money before they do. I hope they prove me wrong. It is utterly depressing to see one of the most underappreciated series in gaming, a series which bleeds the pure passion of Oddworld Inhabitants, laid low by shovelware scrap and a cynical grab at our holiday gaming dollars.

honeymustardn said:
Potentially!

Well no matter what the patch is for any game it's hard to say it's 100% crash free. Shit happens, if it fixes 99% of the problems where people can't exit the first room without crashing I'll be very pleased with the progress.

Cels

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well no matter what the patch is for any game it's hard to say it's 100% crash free. Shit happens, if it fixes 99% of the problems where people can't exit the first room without crashing I'll be very pleased mildly appeased with the progress.

fixed

Tendo

Latest post on twitter. I can't help but wonder if these are fake. They sound so sugary sweet. Want say thank you to @jawltd for emailing me a fix to one of the bugs i had in Stranger's Wrath. If only other devs were this thorough! <3

Top Bottom