• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
brain_stew said:
Not really. If someone in charge of a company developing PC games believes that a port of an Xbox game running worse than Crysis is acceptable, then he needs a new job. Heck, we ban people here on GAF for showing less ignorance than that. How can anyon in anyway associated with videogames not work out that something is wrong with that scenario?

honestly can't comprehend how he managed to con Lorne Lanning into giving his studio charge of the PC port of his treasured IP.
I mean yeah, that's what I'm saying. It seems like he's a bit out of his element.

Teknoman

RockmanWhore said:
Damn, that Munch port is bad.

At first, I try to move arround with the 360 controller, and Abe doesn't want to move. So I try to play it with the keyboard because there's no controller options at all in the menus. Then the default keyboard layout is absolutely crazy, the camera speed on the mouse is extremely low and it's a pain to play. Then I read on the internet that you have to switch some running/walking option in the keyboard setting to get 360 controls. Then, I try to play again but the second stick doesn't move the camera. Well at least I could play for 20 minutes and I didn't crash :lol Oh, and no resolution options in 2010 (at least let me play in windowed mode), when most users have LCD screens that are TERRIBLE at upscaling is pretty nasty too, I would have liked some dubs, but at this point, I'd just like the game to control fine...

It's a good thing I waited for the PS3 version of Stranger's Wrath, from what I've read it's even worst.

I think you need to change camera controls to wasd to work with right analog, for munch anyway. Hopefully the patch works to fix controls as well.

wwm0nkey

apparently an ATI fix has been found.

Just download THIS and put it in your .bin folder for Strangers Wrath

EDIT: Catalyst still needs to be off but users are reporting 60fps+ using this.

wwm0nkey

Moobabe said:
When you say "fix" what exactly do you mean?
the frame rate gets a HUGE boost from what people are saying. Im not 100% sure but if some of you with ATI cards can try it out, go for it.

Esperado

Got my refund. Hopefully this comes back out of JAW's account and isn't eaten by steam. The money wasn't the big issue, feeling like I was rewarding this studio for such a sub par job was. I'm sure they had the best intentions with this game, but it's obvious they didn't put the amount of support they should have behind it and released it in an unfinished state.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Esperado said:
Got my refund. Hopefully this comes back out of JAW's account and isn't eaten by steam. The money wasn't the big issue, feeling like I was rewarding this studio for such a sub par job was. I'm sure they had the best intentions with this game, but it's obvious they didn't put the amount of support they should have behind it and released it in an unfinished state.

I thought about doing it but i really want to play these games so it would be pointless for me to do so since its the only way i can.

Moobabe

wwm0nkey said:

I'm running it at:

width=1920
height=1080
fullscreen
resolution=custom

And it's 60 fps LOCKED with this fix!!!!

Teknoman

wwm0nkey said:

Is this something like that DX10 fix for Deus EX and Unreal 1?

Also if this fixes the problems with performance, we still need other things like gamepad stability and an actual custom resolution changer.

Haunted

Random user does what JustAddWateron't.

Good ol' OpenGL.

Luigi87 said:
I hope it isn't too late for something like this

strangersadd.png
:lol Underappreciated pic, well done man.

Teknoman

wwm0nkey said:
I think so, the guy on Steam got the idea from the Jedi Academy fix and it happened to work :lol

Heh and here I thought nothing used Open GL anymore...at least nothing on an Xbox would anyway.

Hopefully they figure out how to get this out to the majority of the people.

Moobabe

V_Ben said:
Whoa. That's good to hear.

I have a weird glitch now though - I'm sure if it was pre-fix or not. The models now walk with their arms outstretched like in CSS/DoD/Gmod etc - I'm at the.. third? bounty at the fort and the enemies are all doing it.

At least it performs perfectly though - I definitely need to pick up a 360 pad though, changing ammo is a bitch.

wwm0nkey

Moobabe said:
I have a weird glitch now though - I'm sure if it was pre-fix or not. The models now walk with their arms outstretched like in CSS/DoD/Gmod etc - I'm at the.. third? bounty at the fort and the enemies are all doing it.

At least it performs perfectly though - I definitely need to pick up a 360 pad though, changing ammo is a bitch.
Oh if you are getting those Errors just download THIS ONE instead :D

wwm0nkey

jet1911 said:
Is there a fix like that for those with nVidia card?
theroy going around is if you take the cg.dll and cgGL.dll from your driver installation it will work. If anyone can do that get right on it!

Moobabe

wwm0nkey said:
Oh if you are getting those Errors just download THIS ONE instead :D

Put it in the .bin as well though right? Someone should shove all these fixes in the OP

And this looks like it replaces the fix I've just got - won't this just put my fps back down?

stuminus3

Banned
This is the OGL driver file pulled from an earlier Catalyst version, this fix is quite common for some ATI OGL games because older games don't do too good with newer extension limits... which version of the Cats is it coming from?

Either way, not quite the fix you guys are making it out to be for me. I get a much better framerate at 1600x900 on my 5770 now, it's playable, but it sure as shit isn't a solid 60fps. I dropped it to the "medium" setting (1024x768) and it's not much better.

And of course this will do nothing for Nvidia users...

Game's still fucked, guys. This is just a workaround to get it playable. Thanks though, wwm0nkey.

Tendo said:
Fixes are being found and I just got my refund. Ill manage without it though. I'd rather not support jaws.

Yeah man, forget about wanting to play a quality game. Boycott those evil developers!

wwm0nkey

stuminus3 said:
This is the OGL driver file pulled from an earlier Catalyst version, this fix is quite common for some ATI OGL games because older games don't do too good with newer extension limits... which version of the Cats is it coming from?

Either way, not quite the fix you guys are making it out to be for me. I get a much better framerate at 1600x900 on my 5770 now, it's playable, but it sure as shit isn't a solid 60fps. I dropped it to the "medium" setting (1024x768) and it's not much better.

Game's still fucked, guys. This is just a workaround to get it playable. Thanks though, wwm0nkey.
Hey at least its a start right :D

scitek

stuminus3 said:

Well...

stranger2010-12-2220-3ctqe.jpg

BUT, it crashed on me once, and the rest of the times I've tried it, I can't move, only turn. *sigh*

Moobabe

stuminus3 said:

Maybe for you - I'm on Ultra and it's smooth as silk. I'm still in no way defending the game's release, but I'm grateful someone has found a short term fix at least.

Vamphuntr

Just finished reading the meltdown that started on page 11. Wow I was feeling depressed but you guys made me feel happy again. Awesome GAF Awesome :D

Atomski said:
Whoa they giving refunds?

Steam gave me a refund. I'll buy them again if they ever fix the bugs, add the PS3 content, and discount it. In the meantime I'm going to put the money towards one of the thousand working games steam has on sale right now.

scitek

K, I was able to get it working again, but it crashed after a few minutes. Not saying it isn't just my PC crashing, though. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Alright, it's not crashing on me so far, but all the enemies are now stuck in the T pose. :(

Teknoman

After testing the first ATIogl download:

Huge performance boost when playing at custom 1440x900. 50-60 fps for most of the tutorial area, dropped to about 30-40 when capturing the rest of the ammo, back up to 50-60 for the area after that and New Yolk City. Had the "T stance" problem with enemies though.

Game actually doesnt look bad at higher resolutions, but still hoping fixes, performance upgrades (game shouldnt be under 60 at any point) and of course the HD content.

Going to try the second download to see if the T stances are fixed (also the dots are still there...guess I still have to disable Catalyst a.i. for that).

scitek said:
K, I was able to get it working again, but it crashed after a few minutes. Not saying it isn't just my PC crashing, though. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Alright, it's not crashing on me so far, but all the enemies are now stuck in the T pose. :(

Did you try the other download he posted?

EDIT: Someone needs to tweet this to their official twitter account.

stuminus3

Banned
Moobabe said:
Maybe for you - I'm on Ultra and it's smooth as silk. I'm still in no way defending the game's release, but I'm grateful someone has found a short term fix at least.
What's your specs? I think maybe we're all just looking at different parts of the game... I haven't seen an indoor part of the game like the screenshot scitek posted, I've just been running around in the open outdoor area at the start... I might play a bit more tonight to get to where that screenshot shows to see what the framerate is. It can hit 60 in the area I tested, but it can also go down to 25.

Teknoman

Also more shots at 1440x900:

dxbar9.jpg

Havent checked Munch, but didnt get an update for that either. Hopefully this stuff gets ironed out because onces the update start rolling in, im going back to finish Odyssey :D Just got to the temple part there.

stuminus3

Banned
Hmm, in my attempt to play further into the game to see how the performance is, I discovered that it's not just the performance that has issues. My "taken alive" counter stayed at 6 for ages, then suddenly jumped up to 30-something. I don't think that's right. Also, enemies started doing that T-shape thing, which although was kind of hilarious (especially when you shoot that web thing at them), isn't really how it's supposed to be... also, the prompts for R3 (or whatever it's called on the 360 controller) and RB are mixed up, same with L3/LB. So my opinion of this shitty port hasn't changed. But I do like that there's a way to get it somewhat playable, on the (likely IMO) chance that J.A.W never actually fix it. It's a glorious game underneath all the shitty portage.

So does anyone know which actual Catalyst version this atioglxx.dll file is pulled from?

Cronen

I downloaded the first ATI file posted above, and stuck that in my 'bin' folder. Framerate has improved, however enemies are stuck walking around in a T pose! Is there a fix for that, or is this another problem that needs to be sorted?

wwm0nkey

If you are still having problems with the ATI fix delete your /common/stranger's wrath/ folder, download it again then apply the fix.

Top Bottom