• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 04•13-15•12 - Larry, Curly and Moe killed in action by Katniss, nyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
I really hope Titanic makes another $115 million, but I don't see that happening. :(
That is impossible. It can't even do 1/3rd of that. It doesn't have too much life left in it domestically.

Oh and now the big question is, will Hunger Games pass Return of the King? It is on pace to do 375 mil now.

big ander

The idea that there are so many people in the world who will see hunger games but neither cabin in the woods nor the raid is frightening to me

Cheebo

Banned
The idea that there are so many people in the world who will see hunger games but neither cabin in the woods nor the raid is frightening to me

Well Hunger Games is a movie based on a young adult novel and Cabin in the Woods is a R-rated horror movie. I don't see much crossover there.

big ander

Don't worry I'm not ACTUALLY sad and I know how the mpaa works and about how different movies have different audience sizes. it was a joke

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

You have to go out of your way to see The Raid

Even in NYC, you have to go into the city and the times are sparse in between, and most times the movie will be in the back alley theaters of those Magaplexes, you know lodge between that artistic/international subtitled movie

It won't be given that premium theater, you know why, they rather put Wrath of the Titans (which is like God of War video game come to life, only Kratos is a badass, while Sam Worthington is fucking deadwood)

I think Cabin in the Woods will have good worth of mouth, people will tell their friends just go see it, you will enjoy it if you love monsters + horror + a good time

My theater that I went to it go into the movie clapping/laughing right when the movie showed the parts where you can pour your emotion out
When that Merman loving dude fell due to the grenade blast back, and they show smoke, I screamed Merman to the Rescue, I had no clue that shit was gonna happen, but when it came, others started laughing screaming Merman!, and that blood spurt through the blow-hole, HOLY FUCK! the theater laughed so fucking hard

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Titanic was one piece of '90s nostalgia I didn't need.

Courtney Love is back in the news for all the wrong reasons, Soundgarden released a new single, and Daytona USA is on Xbox Live Arcade, that's all I need.

strafer

ibqTG5TLF7DlH3.png

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

I always thought JP did more.

Subtitles: 'muricans dont go to a movie to read all them words

Also, 'muricans don't want to go to a movie where the lead is a slanty-eyed foreigner
More accurately, 'muricans don't go to a movie that isn't showing at their local theater and has a non-existent marketing campaign.

JdFoX187

Banned
I was thinking The Lucky One would be the one to knock off Hunger Games since it has that Nicholas Sparks magic going for it that brings people out for whatever reason.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Apparently, Disney had employed Nina Jacobson at one point, then let her go.

I bet that they completely regret that decision.

Why isn't Bob Iger on the hot seat? He should be looking behind his back, worried senseless about a shareholder's revolt.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why isn't Bob Iger on the hot seat? He should be looking behind his back, worried senseless about a shareholder's revolt.

I think people have been pretty pleased with his big picture moves, like acquiring Pixar and Marvel. That overshadows some disappointing features films.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think people have been pretty pleased with his big picture moves, like acquiring Pixar and Marvel. That overshadows some disappointing features films.

Yes, but the $200 million writeoff on John Carter, plus the giant bomb that was Mars Needs Moms, has me thinking otherwise. And since it was established that most major studios had a shot at getting The Hunger Games before Lionsgate did, I have to assume Disney had a chance to get it.

And as I mentioned above, Nina Jacobson was employed by Disney at one point. Oh, what could have been. Instead of the biggest bomb(s) in the history of movies, they could have been rolling in the dough by now.

Anyways, I noticed a separate thread about this, I'll continue the discussion over there.

Chris R

Huh? There is no way it can make any less than 375 at this rate, it is still doing real good, especially weekdays.

Bah I misread Box Office Mojo, thought the 4M was the estimate for this weekend. Ok so 375M is a lock, will be interesting to see beyond that though.

kswiston

Wow, this is surprising

Only sort of true. Avatar was #2 for a couple days during its second week (Wed, Dec 23 and Fri, Dec 25), but then went on to be #1 for over 40 days straight. Unless there is some arbitrary rule that Daily streaks MUST start of Day 1, Avatar beats out the Hunger Games and The Sixth Sense.

filler

Banned
You have to go out of your way to see The Raid

Even in NYC, you have to go into the city and the times are sparse in between, and most times the movie will be in the back alley theaters of those Magaplexes, you know lodge between that artistic/international subtitled movie

It won't be given that premium theater, you know why, they rather put Wrath of the Titans (which is like God of War video game come to life, only Kratos is a badass, while Sam Worthington is fucking deadwood)

Surprisingly, The Raid is playing out here in Boise and it's at the main theater here. Somehow it's even running for a second week. I went to see it during the first week and there were only two other people in the theater. It was a Tuesday night, but still.

iammeiam

Only sort of true. Avatar was #2 for a couple days during its second week (Wed, Dec 23 and Fri, Dec 25), but then went on to be #1 for over 40 days straight. Unless there is some arbitrary rule that Daily streaks MUST start of Day 1, Avatar beats out the Hunger Games and The Sixth Sense.

This has Avatar in 2nd on 1/15, breaking its streak. It'd then go back to being first for three weeks, dropping back to second on on 2/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom