• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 04•13-15•12 - Larry, Curly and Moe killed in action by Katniss, nyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone actually seen American Reunion? Is it as bad as the trailer? Just looks like a retread of the first film.

Such an odd time to release another AP movie.

I saw it and thought is was alright. IMO if they were going to go back to that well again, they needed to go all out, and this one felt really safe to me. I'm not sure I laughed more than once or twice. It also felt like many of the periphery characters were shoehorned in just so that they can receive 30 seconds on screen. Hopefully they will let this series die

Kusagari

Hunger Games will end up with more overseas than Twilight did, which should be encouraging.

Twilight went from 199m to 413m with New Moon. So it will be interesting to see if Catching Fire can make as big a leap.

artist

Banned
Didn't do too well? It's going to be the second highest grossing 3D re-release behind The Lion King...
You can always view from such perspectives to view it as a success. But expectations that come with the highest grossing movie of all-time (for 10+ years) and James Cameron, you simply cant settle for 2nd best behind a film like Lion King.

Cheebo

Banned
Hunger Games will end up with more overseas than Twilight did, which should be encouraging.

Twilight went from 199m to 413m with New Moon. So it will be interesting to see if Catching Fire can make as big a leap.

Catching Fire is locked for over 400 mil domestically at the very least.

JGS

Banned
You can always view from such perspectives to view it as a success. But expectations that come with the highest grossing movie of all-time (for a 10+ years) and James Cameron, you simply cant settle for 2nd best behind a film like Lion King.
This is like saying you can't view it as a success unless you want to define success as being successful.

It easily recouped it's 3D conversion domestically and is killing it overseas in contrast to the Avatar re-release which was a failure. Titanic can be seen just about every month and it's DVD can be bought at anytime. Lion King should have had a more spectacular showing simply on the basis of how protective Disney is of it.

That's kind of what happened in the States. The book & the movie were feeding off each other. As people finish reading the book, they go to the movie and vice versa.

That was me as well. My wife read it a while ago, I decided to read it ahead of the movie.

JGS

Banned
I think Catching Fire will be the highest grosser. It will have a bigger budget, an audience even more familiar with the material, & unlike most middle movies, it's very self contained until what I imagine are the last couple of minutes. It will be almost like Back to the Future.

Mockingjay Part 2, on the other hand, will have the lowest gross unless they completely change the story or add the 3D surcharge.
Like this?

Hello low standards.
Unless you were actually doubting the re-release wouldnt even break 18M.
Not like that at all. I'm saying the Titanic re-release was a success period. It's crazy to think otherwise unless you think in the "Unless it's 1st place, the view is always the same".

It's silly to think that the primary goal of Cameron & company was to be the #1 domestic grossing 3-D conversion ever. They wanted to make money on an old product and easily did so.

EDIT: Oops, plus it appears they're #1 anyway so I added to a line.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think Catching Fire will be the highest grosser. It will have a bigger budget, an audience even more familiar with the material, & unlike most middle movies, it's very self contained until what I imagine are the last couple of minutes. It will be almost like Back to the Future.

Mockingjay Part 2, on the other hand, will have the lowest gross unless they completely change the story or add the 3D surcharge.

I see Mocking Jay Part 2 doing better than Part 1, but falling short of Catching Fire, assuming it does more than Hunger Games. I think Part 1 will probably have the lowest gross of the quadrilogy. Always seems to work out that way for some reason.

JGS

Banned
I see Mocking Jay Part 2 doing better than Part 1, but falling short of Catching Fire, assuming it does more than Hunger Games. I think Part 1 will probably have the lowest gross of the quadrilogy. Always seems to work out that way for some reason.
What I was thinking is that word of mouth will be so abysmal (Not trolling. I like Mockingjay better, but most don't) it won't get the same buzz. However, if most that go see it are also readers, it should be fine. Still, so many readers tune out the last book too as if it didn't exist. Mockingjay is going to be a weird one unless they retool it.

Shepard

Saw Titanic 3d today, and it's the best 3d I've already seen, hard to say it's a conversion rather than filmed that way. And the movie is as good as it was 15 years ago, amazing.

Cheebo

Banned
What I was thinking is that word of mouth will be so abysmal (Not trolling. I like Mockingjay better, but most don't) it won't get the same buzz. However, if most that go see it are also readers, it should be fine. Still, so many readers tune out the last book too as if it didn't exist. Mockingjay is going to be a weird one unless they retool it.

Being the last film is always a boost. I say it will go Mockingjay Part 2 > Catching Fire > Mockingjay Part 1 > Hunger Games in terms of gross.

All of them other than the first will hit 400 mil domestically.

gdt

Everyone who is able to needs to see The Raid. Holy shit what an action movie. Will put hair on your balls and your chest.

Oh yeah. Yamato here said Tintin was going to bomb. So when it became a huge hit overseas, I said he didn't specify domestic - since AGAIN, that is what I'm used to. It isn't coincidence that I made it clear to Kusaragi I was talking about domestic with our bet. There is no weaseling going on here and I don't appreciate that insinuation.
US BOX OFFICE THREAD.

Jennifer Lawrence in 15 years

I MADE THAT JOKE ON THE FIRST PAGE!

JdFoX187

Banned

They've already proven they're not afraid to rework some things with Hunger Games if it suits a movie better. I'd be surprised if we don't see more whole-sale changes to Catching Fire and the two parts of Mocking Jay.

artist

Banned
US BOX OFFICE THREAD.
Reading comprehension not the strongest suit in this thread apparently.

Titanic re-release is already #1!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ

Not like that at all. I'm saying the Titanic re-release was a success period. It's crazy to think otherwise unless you think in the "Unless it's 1st place, the view is always the same".

It's silly to think that the primary goal of Cameron & company was to be the #1 domestic grossing 3-D conversion ever. They wanted to make money on an old product and easily did so.

EDIT: Oops, plus it appears they're #1 anyway so I added to a line.
That is like saying Sony and Raimi were happy with SM3 domestic take.

Reading comprehension not the strongest suit in this thread apparently.

Titanic re-release is already #1!!! ZOMGWTFBBQ

Indeed, because I said apana for some reason instead of you. Trying to downplay Titanic's success against TLK rerelease only to find out it's already surpassed it. Lulz.

Being the last film is always a boost. I say it will go Mockingjay Part 2 > Catching Fire > Mockingjay Part 1 > Hunger Games in terms of gross.

All of them other than the first will hit 400 mil domestically.

Mockingjay is such a bad book, pt. 1 will kill the hype for pt. 2. It's honestly Matrix Revolutions levels of disappointing.

Kusagari

Mockingjay is such a bad book, pt. 1 will kill the hype for pt. 2. It's honestly Matrix Revolutions levels of disappointing.

I've had it for like 3 months and still haven't been able to force myself to finish it. I can't believe how bad it is.

Really hope they change the movies up.

I've seen Catching Fire praised and now the third book put down, but honestly, I thought the second one was the low point. I liked the change in venue/tone for the third book.

Before irfan pretends it all didn't just happen and continues his smarmy pursuit in this thread, let us recap on today's escapades alone:

You can always view from such perspectives to view it as a success. But expectations that come with the highest grossing movie of all-time (for 10+ years) and James Cameron, you simply cant settle for 2nd best behind a film like Lion King.

To then finding out and seeming to ignore the fact that Titanic 3D has already surpassed TLK rerelease.

Derp.

kswiston

I think that the Hunger Games films will perfom more like the Harry Potter series and less like Twilight domestically. I expect the first film to be the highest until perhaps the last film, even if opening weekends increase. I think that a lot of factors favoured the hunger games that won't necessarily favour its sequels. One factor being the weak release slate from the past month. Only two films debuted over 20M since the Hunger Games was released and that is unlikely to change next weekend.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I did a movie marathon today

Last movie I saw in theaters was Tron Legacy IMAX (December 25th, 2010)... so a long fucking time a go

Can't believe my theater rose ticket prices astronomically

It's $13.50 now, used to be $10.50 in 2010, and 2008 8.50 for 2D, 3D is fucking $15.50... GOOD LORD!
Can't believe theaters think raising 2D prices and "lower" the 3D price will be a victory for them, all the movies I saw today were 50% full

I went to 1:00PM (First Showing) of 21 Jump Street, no matinee price, enjoyed it, very fucking good, and those cameos, fucking LOL, I read they were in it, but I was still shocked to see them

Saw @3:00PM Cabin In The Woods... HOLY FUCK that was amazing, the last 25 minutes I had a grin from ear to ear, I went "Those sons of Bitches!"
The betting board had me in tears from laughing at the subject names
SEXY WITCHES!

@5:00PM saw Wrath of the Titans, someone stated it was like a goddamn video game, with boss battles... Holy Shit that was pure 100%, horrible, I never understood why people didn't like Sam Worthington, but good lord he was so horrible, he gives trees a bad name

@7:00PM watched the The Hunger Games... Was OK, nothing crazy, I mean I saw Battle Royale I & II, so was expecting something like that, didn't turn out what I thought it was going to be

I'd rank them:

1. Cabin In The Woods
2. 21 Jump Street
3. The Hunger Games
4. This smoking hot girl 2 rows down from me
5. The 2 Pisses I took
36. Wrath of the Titans

I'm hoping word of mouth gets people's asses to go see Cabin In The Woods, I wanna see it again =/

Christ, people actually went to see that monstrosity re-imagining of the Three Stooges?

TheThreeStooges-040-SavedByTheBelle1939CurlyLarryMoe2.gif

The Stooges must be rolling in their graves.

Guys, I saw Battleship this past Saturday. All your assumptions about this movie are correct. So so so bad. Worse than either of the Transformer movies. So bad that it makes me dislike Liam Neeson for being in it.

american reunion was very funny. definitely go check it out. The viewer score on RT is about 78% and I rate it quite highly. very good.

battleship was terribad but there was something about it that made it quite enjoyable. First 30 minutes was really bad. Last 20 minutes was a riot. Once the invasion starts; its quite entertaining.

JGS

Banned
I've seen Catching Fire praised and now the third book put down, but honestly, I thought the second one was the low point. I liked the change in venue/tone for the third book.

Ditto.

Plus part 1 won't kill the buzz. If they follow the same course as the book it will be similar to the storyline everyone likes.

eastmen

Banned
I dunno but I'm gonig to see the original 3 star wars in 3d multiple times. The last time I got to see them in thearters was exactly halfway through my life to date.

aznpxdd

To be fair, probably not too many people had the chance to catch Titanic in theaters in China back in 1997.

Plus, they are marketing the shit out of Titanic in China. Its a pretty good (albeit long) date movie and people eat up that shit here.

artist

Banned
Before irfan pretends it all didn't just happen and continues his smarmy pursuit in this thread, let us recap on today's escapades alone:

To then finding out and seeming to ignore the fact that Titanic 3D has already surpassed TLK rerelease.

Derp.
You havent done this yet;
Thats the second mistake, go back to the first one.
Which leads to this.
Bingo.

As much as I love Titanic, I'm glad the rerelease didnt too well in NA. +1 respect for NA audiences.
The Lion King - $94,242,001
Titanic - $44,419,000

So yeah derp backfire Sculli, sorry to lay such a beating on you but you asked for it. You really are off your game, which was shitty to begin with.

JCX

I wonder where the split for Mockingjay will be. Catching Fire is my favorite, so I hope it is done justice on film.

To be fair, probably not too many people had the chance to catch Titanic in theaters in China back in 1997.

Plus, they are marketing the shit out of Titanic in China. Its a pretty good (albeit long) date movie and people eat up that shit here.

I wondering how they are marketing the movie there?
American made ships kills many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom