• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Teknoman

So is there a chance that those comparison videos were from an earlier build, or is that pretty much wishful thinking at this point?

Just started another play of 2 on my PC. It's got some problems but at least it has a decent contrast ratio.

Question though, did the PS2 version have a ton of lag when switching menu screens or looking at close-up objects? Every time I open the inventory or look at an object or go to options it pauses for literally five seconds, I counted. Ridiculously annoying.

benzy

Any suggestions on the best version of SH4 to buy? PS2, Xbox (over BC) or PC? The only one of the first 4 that I've yet to play.

I only have the Xbox version, but it looks and plays great. 360 BC has graphical glitches where the character faces have clipping issues.

You can't be too sure with Konami's marketing.
Even so, I doubt that Gamespot has that old of a build if they're reviewing it already. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I highly doubt it.

Question though, did the PS2 version have a ton of lag when switching menu screens or looking at close-up objects? Every time I open the inventory or look at an object or go to options it pauses for literally five seconds, I counted. Ridiculously annoying.
I think it was possible for some slowdown at times, depending on the location/enemies, but it certainly wasn't an every time sort of thing.

i found a PC copy of 3 on ebay (well, i say found, someone in the Downpour thread posted a link to it) so i think i'm good with that. i already own 2.

i don't remember being as excited about a release as i was for this, and then being completely put off before release like i am now. it was so easy to get right. even if they'd just ported the PC versions i'd have been happy.

Teknoman

Well I really hope so. Even though its not an HD collection, we've already had games like Binary Domain that seemed like they wouldnt be any good, and then release was another story altogether.

Lime

That's a pretty terribly written review.

Example:

Both games look great. The high-definition visuals let you pick up on small details, such as shop signs and the deformities of a monster's face, that were easy to miss in the original games. Fog remains prevalent but has been pushed back to reveal more of the scenery. The lighting effects have also been improved. Previously, darkness was darkness: black, oppressive, and nearly impossible to see through without the intense beam of your flashlight. Now the darkness isn't as thick, and the light sources have been softened to make everything easier on the eyes.

Ehm, what?

Mr_Zombie

That's a pretty terribly written review.

Example:

Ehm, what?

Well, that's true. See the comparison video of HD collection vs the original version. In the PS2 version when there was darkness, you couldn't see a thing, it was literally black. In the HD version, it's just slightly darker, but you can still see objects and details easily.

On the gameplay video, it seems the sharp aliased shadows weren't fixed for the game release :/

Lime

Well, that's true. See the comparison video of HD collection vs the original version. In the PS2 version when there was darkness, you couldn't see a thing, it was literally black. In the HD version, it's just slightly darker, but you can still see objects and details easily.

On the gameplay video, it seems the sharp aliased shadows weren't fixed for the game release :/

Oh, I am aware of the visual changes. But doing a review of a horror game and complimenting the fact that being able to see more because the game is less dark, kind of goes against the goal of the genre.

Oh, I am aware of the visual changes. But doing a review of a horror game and complimenting the fact that being able to see more because the game is less dark, kind of goes against the goal of the genre.

I was about to complain about your post saying that the review wasn't poorly written because that is a very valid criticism of a horror game.

But it was a compliment? Geeze.

Mr_Zombie

Oh, sorry, I haven't read the full review, only the snippet you've posted before the edit, and I though the reviewer was complaining about the change. I can't believe someone actually liked that the game is less oppressive now. smh

Lime

I was about to complain about your post saying that the review wasn't poorly written because that is a very valid criticism of a horror game.

But it was a compliment? Geeze.

Oh, sorry, I haven't read the full review, only the snippet you've posted before the edit, and I though the reviewer was complaining about the change. I can't believe someone actually liked that the game is less oppressive now. smh

You are right, I should probably include the entire context of the quote. Post now edited.

UrbanRats

It's always sunny in Silent Hill.
iqyYeErY9ImA4.jpg

(i hope Gamespot's fucking with us)

I dunno if its just the video or the fact I havent played SH 3 in awhile...but does the framerate look smoother?

I actually saw HOLY SLOWDOWNS BATMAN on the bakery area, and the monsters weren't even on camera :| Am I the only one?

I don't even want to see the pulsating walls part because it may run at 10fps.

UrbanRats

I actually saw HOLY SLOWDOWNS BATMAN on the bakery area, and the monsters weren't even on camera :| Am I the only one?

I don't even want to see the pulsating walls part because it may run at 10fps.

Well, to their credit, Ps3 is less powerful than Ps2.
They removed some effects, but maybe it wasn't enough.

iqyYeErY9ImA4.jpg

Can't be too critical, looks like a good first effort for me.

It isn't fair to compare the updated Silent Hill 3 with the predessor Silent Hill 3 HD. Sure, it is a shame we have to live through the original versions now, but we always knew this day would come when we got the re-mastered versions 9 years ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
iqyYeErY9ImA4.jpg

Honestly, in that case, it looks like a gamma or brightness issue. I suspect adjusting those settings would result in a scene that looks correct. I noticed that the black level in the video was way too high whenever it cut to a loading screen.

The slowdown, though, is surprising. It's a shame Bluepoint didn't handle this one. :(

Teknoman

Honestly, in that case, it looks like a gamma or brightness issue. I suspect adjusting those settings would result in a scene that looks correct. I noticed that the black level in the video was way too high whenever it cut to a loading screen.

The slowdown, though, is surprising. It's a shame Bluepoint didn't handle this one. :(

Thats what I was thinking, because in the hallway you see that odd discoloration on the walls as if the brightness was turned too high. The missing fog effects (well not missing but lighter fog effects) are something we'll just have to deal with.

Persona7

Banned
delayed again? UK retailers are saying 30th now

Hmm...Maybe it was delayed again in Europe.

As far as I can tell it is still on for the 20th of March in North America.

EDIT :

Here we go

http://uk.games.konami-europe.com/news.do?idNews=639

Back to the beginning... Silent Hill HD Collection

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has confirmed its two-game Silent Hill HD Collection, will be released for Xbox 360(R) and PlayStation(R)3 on March 29th. The publisher has also unveiled a teaser trailer for the eagerly-anticipated compilation.

Silent Hill HD Collection comprises the second and third games from the series, both of which were previously released for PlayStation(R)2. As befits their resurrection, the new Xbox 360 and PS3 updates enjoy completely-updated HD make-overs, while the soundtrack has been re-recorded, as has all dialogue - reuniting the original vocal artists. The included version of Silent Hill 2 also features the exclusive stages from the original Director's Cut supplemental release.

Cudder

here's a pretty cool user made Dynamic theme that somebody made for PS3. ive been using it for the last few days.

http://www.ps3-themes.com/gaming/silent-hill-hd-collection-animated.html

14960-silenthillcollection.jpg

The official trophy lists are out. While the idea of the trophy notifications going off during gameplay seems detrimental to the atmosphere, it seems that these trophies were designed to interfere with that as little as possible.

Silent Hill 2 Trophy List

Silent Hill 3 Trophy List

I'm not sure why some of these aren't hidden, particularly the one for the final boss in Silent Hill 2. Also, the fact that the final boss is
Mary in the "Maria" ending, but Maria for the others, if I'm not mistaken

I was hoping for "Chip Off the Old Block" for the final boss in SH3, though. :(

Ridley327

VGPlus.Ca has this in stock, apparently

Is the 360 version going to be two disc?

I'd have to think that it's going to be on one disc. I can't imagine there being any huge problems fitting them since SH2 is the only one with any real extensive use of CG and they aren't exactly dripping with VA.

Persona7

Banned
The official trophy lists are out. While the idea of the trophy notifications going off during gameplay seems detrimental to the atmosphere, it seems that these trophies were designed to interfere with that as little as possible.

Silent Hill 2 Trophy List

Silent Hill 3 Trophy List

I'm not sure why some of these aren't hidden, particularly the one for the final boss in Silent Hill 2. Also, the fact that the final boss is
Mary in the "Maria" ending, but Maria for the others, if I'm not mistaken

I was hoping for "Chip Off the Old Block" for the final boss in SH3, though. :(

They've been out for awhile! Except the pictures.

Amazon just started processing my order.

Teknoman

Hoping someone snags it early tomorrow so we can really see if all this over-brightness can just be solved by adjusting some in-game settings.

Persona7

Banned
Hoping someone snags it early tomorrow so we can really see if all this over-brightness can just be solved by adjusting some in-game settings.

Yeah, there are a few unboxings of the game on youtube but I have not been able to find gameplay or anything else.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I just watched the HD video of Silent Hill 3 that Combichristoffersen just posted and this video of the PS2 game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmAXyzLw3A); the black levels, lighting, etc. all look pretty much the same to me. I think people might be freaking out unnecessarily. If all else fails, it's not difficult to adjust the brightness/gamma/contrast/whichever on our fancy televisions.

the chris

I just watched the HD video of Silent Hill 3 that Combichristoffersen just posted and this video of the PS2 game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmAXyzLw3A); the black levels, lighting, etc. all look pretty much the same to me. I think people might be freaking out unnecessarily. If all else fails, it's not difficult to adjust the brightness/gamma/contrast/whichever on our fancy televisions.

People on the internet freaking out unnecessarily? First I've heard about something like that happening.

I'm actually looking forward to playing this, I just really wish Silent Hill 4 was included on the collection.

Top Bottom