• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the actual power of the Nintendo Switch?

Reading through threads is somewhat confusing. Some people say that it's a Wii U, which, by some accounts, is an underpowered PS3 and Xbox 360.

Some people are saying that it's an underpowered Xbox One / PS4, but slightly more powerful than last gen hardware.

I'm confused. As the hardware gets full Unreal Engine support, I assumed that it was capable of doing last gen ports with 'relative' ease. Granted, there's no 'easy port' button, but early reports about the hardware claimed that getting things running on it takes considerably less work than the Wii U ever did.

So I guess what i'm asking is - hypothetically - can the switch do at least fantastic ports of last gen (xbox 360/ps3) titles, or what? Like when Bluepoint Games pulled off that magical port of Titanfall on the Xbox 360, hypothetically (not necessarily realistically), could the switch do a flawless version of Destiny 1? Titanfall? Diablo 3?

Or are the big 3rd party games of last gen held back once again by limitations of Nintendo hardware? As I said, reading through Gaf is confusing. I get that the devs aren't necessarily biting due to the unproven install base, but is there a concern that the hardware is incapable of doing those old AAA ports?

The handheld mode is basically a Wii U+ (BOTW, for example, runs better in that mode than on Wii U)
The docked mode is like 2.5x that which should allow in many cases for a decent resolution bump.
You saw it with MK8D which is MK8 but 1080p on the TV.
Switch also has more ram which helps, I believe the double items were disabled in the original due to a RAM issue.
The architecture is also really modern when compared to Wii U which helps

More powerful than last gen, about 1/4-1/3 of current gen when docked with more modern features to help it along. You can port most current gen stuff if you take a resolution hit and downgrade shit. Talking 720p docked 600p or less in handheld mode though.

It lags and chugs along while I play Binding of Isaac when I get too many spiders or flies on the screen. That said I still love the console. Wish it had more power, though.

Mechazawa

Using International Standards:

Xbox 360/PS3 - Yamcha
Wii U - Tien
Switch - Piccolo
Xbox One - Vegeta
PS4 - Goku
PC - Bruce Banner

It has full feature parity with current gen consoles. Thats the most important thing, and why Unreal Engine 4 supports the Switch so "easily". Anything (hardware wise) that the PS4 and Xbox One can run can run on the switch.

Beyond that, its just weaker.

You have to realize comparing different architectures (like the Wii U / Xbox 360 / PS3) just isn't something that is comparable with simple numbers or scales. They all do things very differently and with different strengths. The idea that someone says "Its 80% of Y" is just a ridiculous notion.

However, im confident that its "weaker" on a general scale. By "how much" is just too generic a question.

ahm998

Reading through threads is somewhat confusing. Some people say that it's a Wii U, which, by some accounts, is an underpowered PS3 and Xbox 360.

Some people are saying that it's an underpowered Xbox One / PS4, but slightly more powerful than last gen hardware.

I'm confused. As the hardware gets full Unreal Engine support, I assumed that it was capable of doing last gen ports with 'relative' ease. Granted, there's no 'easy port' button, but early reports about the hardware claimed that getting things running on it takes considerably less work than the Wii U ever did.

So I guess what i'm asking is - hypothetically - can the switch do at least fantastic ports of last gen (xbox 360/ps3) titles, or what? Like when Bluepoint Games pulled off that magical port of Titanfall on the Xbox 360, hypothetically (not necessarily realistically), could the switch do a flawless version of Destiny 1? Titanfall? Diablo 3?

Or are the big 3rd party games of last gen held back once again by limitations of Nintendo hardware? As I said, reading through Gaf is confusing. I get that the devs aren't necessarily biting due to the unproven install base, but is there a concern that the hardware is incapable of doing those old AAA ports?

Between 1-1.3 teraflop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ZHu3wHecM

~6 Gamecube duck taped together

Can you give an example of a console that was shit fun wise?

Virtualboy.

I know answer was ridiculous, sometimes though it's not about power. I know that wasn't the question, nor is it the correct answer. Wasn't supposed to be definitive answer.

Similar to when Frodo told Gandalf he's late. I arrive precisely when I mean to,, that's all. It's as powerful as it needs to be.

Could be a shit answer, but it's how I feel.

Its as powerful as it needs to be. It's an awesome machine design wise and fun wise.

gdfVvns.gif

Wii U was only underpowered compared to PS360 in raw flops numbers, while not many multiplats showed it in reality it was noticeably better and switch is noticeably better than that

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's more powerful than Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U, but nowhere near PS4 or Xbox One.

/thread

Why is this still open.

Maxey

You know, everytime someone answers with that site, I can't help but roll my eyes.

It feels so incredibly condescending and smarmy, like, what if the OP wants a more personal response from the people here? I'm sure the OP has the necessary skills to google whatever they want and this thread was fully intentional, despite googling being an option.

Top Bottom