• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•17-19•17 - Americans say no to The Wall on Presidents' Day Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Yeah, Jason Isaacs isn't really a name. He's one of "those guys" more than anything.

He's someone that can get a good line going at Dragoncon, but you would have to point out to the lay person that he was Lucius in the Harry Potter films because they sure as hell wouldn't know it otherwise.

Any impressiong for The Great Wall? GCI looked like crap in the trailers and it looked so cheesy but I love Zhang Yimou so I'm sure it will at least look beautiful?

Ridley327

Any impressiong for The Great Wall? GCI looked like crap in the trailers and it looked so cheesy but I love Zhang Yimou so I'm sure it will at least look beautiful?

The consensus seems to be that it's schlock, but really good looking schlock and that the reports of Matt Damon being China's Great White Hope are grossly exaggerated.

kswiston

Wick 2 has already passed the first's total worldwide gross.

Not too shabby at all

John Wick 2 is one of those instances where doubling the production budget over that of the first film was justified. It should end up making around double the first film domestically, and get a nice bump overseas.

Ninjimbo

Moana's numbers are kinda low for the kind of caliber movie it is. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would and it's a better musical than La La Land. Those numbers for La La Land are crazy btw.

I'm glad Lego Batman stayed on top. I don't care at all for the movie but I'm glad it's continuing to reach people.

kswiston

La La Land has a shot at knocking Independence Day Resurgence out of the Worldwide Top 20 for 2016. I expect it to get get a nice box office bump from winning best picture in a week.

Moana's numbers are kinda low for the kind of caliber movie it is.

Moana still has to release in Japan. As long as it's not the lowest grossing Post-Tangled film there, it should at least break $600M WW.

I can't believe Damon did The Wall. It looked like some Jai Courtney throw away action movie from the trailer I saw. It didn't interest me at all.

Im actually kind of surprised Great Wall is doing as well as it is. The movie only probably has to make 30-50 million in the US to keep the investors happy and it will meet or maybe even surpass that. It was pretty big in China and will likely end up making a solid profit despite the shit reviews.

kswiston

Im actually kind of surprised Great Wall is doing as well as it is. The movie only probably has to make 30-50 million in the US to keep the investors happy and it will meet or maybe even surpass that. It was pretty big in China and will likely end up making a solid profit despite the shit reviews.

The Great Wall was an expensive film. Maybe $300M worldwide, with a $40-45M domestic gross is not very good.

Moana should've beaten Titanic but noooooooo y'all hate brown people

I
C
U

Domestic audiences chose singing pigs.

The consensus seems to be that it's schlock, but really good looking schlock and that the reports of Matt Damon being China's Great White Hope are grossly exaggerated.

Yep. Just got back from watching it and that sounds right. No White Saviour, no forced romance, some good looking shots/scenes. I enjoyed it.

3N16MA

Banned

Xander Cage did it better.

Is the movie 100% in English? Do the Chinese actors have obvious dubs over them or is it their real English?

There are one or two from the army who speak English/interpret for interactions with Damon. Otherwise it is subtitles for dialogue amongst the non English speakers. No awkward dubbing.

I feel confident speaking for all of China, and we like:

White girls
Bald ethnic guys
Donnie Yen
Maaaaaaaaaaaatt Daaaaaaaaaamon

We also realize that Star Wars is bullshit and have no nostalgia for it whatsoever

But Rey...

Seriously, these new movies for me are like watching today's NBA. Sure, I still love the game but the players and teams of today will never affect me like those old movies did. Those old movies happened during defining periods of my life.

Today's SW movies are instantly disposable for me, like today's game. I can still enjoy them in the moment but good luck getting me to rewatch them over and over again like the classics.

CREED is the only one that broke that mold for me but mostly because Coogler is a God and Creed was secretly Rocky 7 and built on all the mythos of the classic flicks in a cool way while paying homage to the original.

TFA gave us, "Droid, please."

Not

Banned
Whoa guys it's almost like it makes no difference if there's a white guy leading your Chinese-set movie or not IF YOUR MOVIE SUCKS

Ya basketball and Star Wars both suck but were awesome in the 90s wait hold on

Whoa guys it's almost like it makes no difference if there's a white guy leading your Chinese-set movie or not IF YOUR MOVIE SUCKS

Great Wall is making money tho

Personally, I've never understood the cult for SW to begin with. They're just silly fantasy movies, that's it. What's even weirder to me is that people retained their cult when you would think the prequels would have killed that off, if you look exclusively at criticism of them. So in reality, you have to conclude that the prequels and its massive (massive) merchandise operations did very well in maintaining and even increasing the esoteric cultism of the franchise.

It's a fun experiment to do in terms of viewpoint and information versus judgment. (people always think they have enough information and the best information when in reality they usually have neither)

Personally, I've never understood the cult for SW to begin with. They're just silly fantasy movies, that's it. What's even weirder to me is that people retained their cult when you would think the prequels would have killed that off, if you look exclusively at criticism of them. So in reality, you have to conclude that the prequels and its massive (massive) merchandise operations did very well in maintaining and even increasing the esoteric cultism of the franchise.

It's a fun experiment to do in terms of viewpoint and information versus judgment. (people always think they have enough information and the best information when in reality they usually have neither)

The prequels didn't affect my fandom of the overall IP primarily because there was an endless trove of EU material that I cared about far more than those movies. I've spent far more time in my life with book series and gamea and TV shows than I have with the movies.

Movies are still the best or at least some of the best parts. That the prequels aren't isn't a big deal to me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
rogue one had 2/4 and China didn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck

Yeah, but it didn't have Wire-Fu and terrible CG.

Great Wall was still a shitty movie, but it wasn't any shitty than the typical RE Fest or something. Just twice as expensive, but doesn't look as good.

MIMIC

Banned
Man, Hidden Figures has had some excellent holds. Nine weeks and has only dropped to No. 6 (so far). And also, that's pretty dismal for "A Cure For Wellness." I thought it looked like an interesting movie, but that RT score isn't comforting. Oh well.

kswiston

So we have one slow week left before 7 straight weekends of major releases.

Anyone have domestic/worldwide predictions for any of the bigger releases?:

Logan
Kong: Skull Island
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
Ghost in the Shell
Fate of the Furious

I didn't realize Xander Cage did so well overseas.

And people tried to clown on my man, Vin.

Overseas got mad love for Vin. No idea if he wants to do another Riddick or not but now would probably be the time to make that happen if he does. He's probably a bigger international star now than he's ever been

I have reservations about Kong doing well. Can't explain why I get flashes of Pacific Rim when I look at it; thinking it'll be a fun movie that gathers a following but mostly tepid BO.

Yeah, Pacific Rim seems like a decent model for what Kong might end up being. It won't blow the doors off and it'll dance right around the line of "financial disappointment," but the fans it secures will be so in tune with its brand of ridiculousness that you're gonna deal with about a month straight of fevered proselytizing for its layered goofiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom