• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•17-19•17 - Americans say no to The Wall on Presidents' Day Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Split dropped 37% Friday to Friday despite the same genre competition. Last Sunday backed onto a holiday, so the weekend drop might be around 45%

Log4Girlz

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is up to $68M ($63.4M without service fees lumped in) after 2 days in China. It's going to end up with an opening weekend of over $90M.

Get Out's official Friday estimate is $10.8M. Slayven's 2017 animated film of the year, Rock Dog, opened to a bit less than $1M on its first day. Collide opened to $500k.

Why would anyone make a movie that involves Rock in any way. It's a dead genre. May as well make a movie involving Jazz to go die in theaters.

Slayven

I am a stonehearted bastard, but I catch feels with the Beauty and the Beast commercial that has the music and lines from the movie. This movie is going to be huge

kswiston

Do any of the box-office GAF mods know when xaosslug's ban is done? He's still banned as of now, so I am assuming that I am filling in again for tomorrow's thread. It would be helpful to know if he will be missing many more weeks beyond that though!

Boxoffice.com updated their long term forecast again.

They bumped Logan up to $81M OW, and $225M total

It doesn't look like there are many other notable changes.

Katherine Heigl's attempt to restart her career post-kitty litter commercials is one of the newly forecasted movies at $10M OW, $23.5M total. It doesn't look like it will live up to its title of Unforgettable.

Random Posts for this thread, but finally got around to seeing Arrival and I was totally blown away. What a film.

Is it nominated for any cinematography awards? It is shot beautifully

kswiston

Random Posts for this thread, but finally got around to seeing Arrival and I was totally blown away. What a film.

Is it nominated for any cinematography awards? It is shot beautifully

Yes. Bradford Young became the second black cinematographer in history to be nominated for that award I believe. The first time was Remi Adefarasin for Elizabeth in 1998.

EDIT: Young is also doing the Han Solo prequel.

Yes. Bradford Young became the second black cinematographer in history to be nominated for that award I believe. The first time was Remi Adefarasin for Elizabeth in 1998.

EDIT: Young is also doing the Han Solo prequel.

Wow, well I really hope he wins for it. I was blown away by the film in general but good lord is it shot incredibly

I actually paid money to watch The Great Wall today and I dunno if it was cause I was on a date but I didn't haaaaaaaaaate it

Real dumb movie though

kswiston

I just learned that Rock Dog had a $60M budget...

It was also a Chinese produced film that bombed in China (it made less than $6M there last summer). Definitely in the running for biggest flop of the year. You may have been saved Ben Affleck.

kswiston

Weekend estimate for Resident Evil 6 in China is $94M.

Technically the biggest opening weekend ever for a hollywood film, but only because Furious 7 opened on a Sunday, and both Age of Ultron and Warcraft opened in the middle of the week.

$94M is also the biggest single territory release of the year so far, including domestic. Beauty and the Beast will likely take that title in coming weeks though.

Edit: As was the case with Warcraft, the Chinese gross for RE6 will be larger than the rest of the worldwide gross combined.

gamz

Technically the biggest opening weekend ever for a hollywood film, but only because Furious 7 opened on a Sunday, and both Age of Ultron and Warcraft opened in the middle of the week.

$94M is also the biggest single territory release of the year so far, including domestic. Beauty and the Beast will likely take that title in coming weeks though.

Edit: As was the case with Warcraft, the Chinese gross for RE6 will be larger than the rest of the worldwide gross combined.

Wow!

Deserved.

Yeah. Monster Hunter will do well.

Tencent Pictures will probably foot the bill for half or most of the budget in exchange for all the China gross. Milla will get a prominent role.

jett

D-Member
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is up to $68M ($63.4M without service fees lumped in) after 2 days in China. It's going to end up with an opening weekend of over $90M.

Get Out's official Friday estimate is $10.8M. Slayven's 2017 animated film of the year, Rock Dog, opened to a bit less than $1M on its first day. Collide opened to $500k.

The Chinese market is an absolute mystery to me.

Geeky

Did RE6 feature Ada Wong in prominent role or something? That's the only reason this will make sense.

Unless they recorded some Chinese exclusive footage, no.

This is crazy. RE The Final Chapter is a horrible movie on almost every metric. I wonder if the people at Sony are going to get one more movie out of the old crew with numbers like this.

Did RE6 feature Ada Wong in prominent role or something? That's the only reason this will make sense.

Hilarious, so Afterlife(4) did well.
Retribution(5) gets a known Chinese actress and does less.
6 cut the Chinese actress and it does way better.

She was going to stay in 6 but because Li Bingbing wouldn't promote 5 in Japan or something they wrote her out just like Jill and Leon.
resident-evil-retribution-bingbing-li-noscale.jpg

They marketed her for 5 like crazy.

Caode

Did Moana really only get $573 million world wide? I would think that would still be a success, but it's a Disney Princess movie. Zootopia and Big Hero 6 both did better than it.

It's still a success, and it's still got Japan coming up, should give it a decent boost.

gamz

Gitesh Pandya‏@GiteshPandya

Global #BoxOffice Update: #Moana $580.4M, #LaLaLand $369M, #XXX $330M, #FiftyShadesDarker $328.3M, #TheGreatWall $300M, #Split $221.2M.

FTF

Global #BoxOffice Update: #Moana $580.4M, #LaLaLand $369M, #XXX $330M, #FiftyShadesDarker $328.3M, #TheGreatWall $300M, #Split $221.2M.

Japan should boost Moana over $600m and a bp win tonight for La La Land should have it hit $400m. Well deserved for both, great movies.

gamz

Moneymaking hit streak continues for #Blumhouse this yr. #Split & #GetOut cost $14M combined to produce & shd gross $400-500M worldwide.

SSSSSSSSSSSSShhhiiiiiiiiiitttttt

kswiston

I am waiting for Box Office Mojo to update, otherwise the new thread is done.

La La Land will easily hit $400M. It probably won't top Les Miserables (2012) though, so it will have to settle for #3 on the worldwide musical film chart (not counting Disney cartoons).

I am waiting for Box Office Mojo to update, otherwise the new thread is done.

La La Land will easily hit $400M. It probably won't top Les Miserables (2012) though, so it will have to settle for #3 on the worldwide musical film chart (not counting Disney cartoons).

What was Get Out's haul? What number did it hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom