• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I never played Shenmue 2, I thought it was some huge myth or it never got made or something.

Or am I thinking of three? Did Shenmue 2 leave off on a cliffhanger?

Dra-Q

Banned
SEGA: "Hey, give us money for Shenmue III exlusive for your system."

Nintendo: (laughs)

Sony: (laughs)

Microsoft: Yeah, if the game saves the 360 in Japan, sure all you want.

eso76

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, he's retired. Left SEGA last summer sometime, now relaxing at home watching TV and tending his garden.

and driving in his Ferrari.

I sure hope they would at least follow Suzuki's original script if they ever bothered continuing the saga.

Speaking of which I don't see Shenmue 3 being that expensive to produce now; the original concept was a lot like GTA, minus the cars, the shootouts and the ability to punch everyone in the face, but the game had to be scaled back to a much more linear experience in an incredibly small environment; it was way too ambitious for its time.
But with today's libraries, tools and hardware ? I don't see what would make Shenmue 3 more expensive than a lot of games being developed by smaller developers today.

Agalloch

Dear Nintendo,

you're printing money from years now with the DS, Wii and various games, overcoming every possible prediction.
Now it's finally time to invest some in the best way possible, by funding Shenmue 3 and tell Sega to port the first two on actual consoles.
Do it and all is forgiven ... all !
Thx and sorry for my english.

m3k

well at least they are open to the idea

i still cant help to laugh at the clamouring over number 3... its cruel

a phone job would be funny... an exclusive deal would be cool

Sloane

Banned
Agalloch said:
you're printing money from years now with the DS, Wii and various games, overcoming every possible prediction.
Yeah, I'm still wondering what they are DOING with all that money. They don't buy exclusives, they don't really develop more games than they used to (and even if, Wii & DS development isn't that expensive). They can't possibly spend that much on R&D.

So... What the hell are they doing with it?

Dra-Q

Banned
Sloane said:
Yeah, I'm still wondering what they are DOING with all that money. They don't buy exclusives, they don't really develop more games than they used to (and even if, Wii & DS development isn't that expensive). They can't possibly spend that much on R&D.

R&D on the next Handheld and Console?

Sloane

Banned
Dra-Q said:
R&D on the next Handheld and Console?
Some, sure, but we are talking about Nintendo here. It's not like their next platforms are expected to be cutting edge in terms of graphics or whatever.

Seriously, do we know what they are doing with all that money? I just looked up their last financial report but they don't seem to disclose much...

Backflip

When Shenmue II was released on the Dreamcast in Europe, SEGA had already announced that they would stop production of the system. A lot of people had sold their Dreamcast at that point. That does not help game sales.

When Shenmue II was released on the Xbox, it's not like the console was setting the world on fire. Nobody in Europe wanted one for example.

Shenmue is one of seven million sellers on the Dreamcast. It did the best it could on such a small installed base.

People need to stop blaming Shenmue for what happened to SEGA. SEGA made a lot of bad business decisions over the course of a few years (Mega/SEGA CD, 32X) and they all came back to bite the company in the ass.

Shenmue cost a lot of money to make. But going as far as Shenmue II on a Saturn version before cancelling the game and starting from scratch on the Dreamcast didn't help keep costs low. That's another bad business decision from SEGA.

ajim

Backflip said:
When Shenmue II was released on the Dreamcast in Europe, SEGA had already announced that they would stop production of the system. A lot of people had sold their Dreamcast at that point. That does not help game sales.

When Shenmue II was released on the Xbox, it's not like the console was setting the world on fire. Nobody in Europe wanted one for example.

Shenmue is one of seven million sellers on the Dreamcast. It did the best it could on such a small installed base.

People need to stop blaming Shenmue for what happened to SEGA. SEGA made a lot of bad business decisions over the course of a few years (Mega/SEGA CD, 32X) and they all came back to bite the company in the ass.

Shenmue cost a lot of money to make. But going as far as Shenmue II on a Saturn version before cancelling the game and starting from scratch on the Dreamcast didn't help keep costs low. That's another bad business decision from SEGA.
I love you <3

Fuzz Rez

Banned
ScHlAuChi said:
Let the Yakuza guys do ShenMue Trilogy after they are done with Yakuza4!
They can even reuse alot of the assets!

No.

I like Yakuza games but they are nothing like Shenmue. I don't want to see any Yakuza infulence in Shenmue because it would not work.

ScHlAuChi said:
They're busy making games that make money.

And as someone else pointed out, you really wouldn't want these guys to do it. It wouldn't come out right. Frankly, it wouldn't come out right with anyone but Yu Suzuki at the helm.

Exclusivity is what killed Shenmue in the first place. Had Shenmue 1 & 2 been on PS2 it would have probably sold fine... IMO the approach to go is to create a port of 1/2 on Wii, PSN and XBLA first.

Sloane said:
Some, sure, but we are talking about Nintendo here. It's not like their next platforms are expected to be cutting edge in terms of graphics or whatever.

Seriously, do we know what they are doing with all that money? I just looked up their last financial report but they don't seem to disclose much...

Actually yes, it is gonna have some beefy hardware, as reported by John Davison:

..has been characterized as similar to “the shift from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance,” where familiar, key elements were left intact while the core hardware was made more powerful...

And from the same piece:

In 2003, Nintendo declared that $34 million was spent on R&D. This figure steadily climbed to $103 million in 2006 and the following year bumped dramatically to $370 million.

So some money is going into the R&D bin.

Source - http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/
It's worth reading if you haven't already.

Jcgamer60 said:
Where does it say that he is absolutely done with Sega?
Yes, I'm sure he's eager to come back to work for a company that he retired from due to them shoving him in a corner for six or seven years, and I'm equally sure that company would welcome him back with open arms.

You are more likely to see John Carmack and John Romero collaborating on a new FPS. You are more likely to see Tomonobu Itagaki do Ninja Gaiden 3. You are more likely to see Gunpei Yokoi's dead body rise from the netherworld to design the DS2.

Let the guy relax. He had a tough decade.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think Shenmue is totally possible. A game like that on a major platform could only do well after the success of the Yakuza series. The only thing is do you reboot the series or try to just continue like your company wasn't bought out by pachinko makers

DeVeAn

It would have to be much cheaper to make now. The have the idea done already just tweak it a bit and bring it on.

Jcgamer60

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I'm sure he's eager to come back to work for a company that he retired from due to them shoving him in a corner for six or seven years, and I'm equally sure that company would welcome him back with open arms.

You are more likely to see John Carmack and John Romero collaborating on a new FPS. You are more likely to see Tomonobu Itagaki do Ninja Gaiden 3. You are more likely to see Gunpei Yokoi's dead body rise from the netherworld to design the DS2.

So you don't have a source?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173580

According to this he is still with the company. He still loves Shenmue I'm sure of it. Not saying he has any control at this point but if Shenmue is greenlit I don't see why they wouldn't let him be involved with the project in "some capacity".

rvy

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
No, he's not. He's retired from SEGA and from game development. He's done.
Last I heard he was doing nothing, but still at SEGA. Or he was working on some arcade game called Psy something.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was retired though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sloane said:

Shareholders. Like money.

Last year they paid back 184bn yen in dividends to shareholders, out of 279bn net profit. A pretty hefty chunk. Of course, it still leaves 95bn yen for the company...but as I understand it, Nintendo likes to sit on cash. Lots of cash :p They've pretty much always had fairly vast cash assets, but they've never been too prone to extravagant fan services, certainly not outside of their own properties.

I want an HD Shenmue 1 and 2 as much as the next guy. I still own both (1 on Dreamcast and 2 on Xbox).

But honestly, do you think having these games released on XBLA and PSN will make Sega money?

And with Sonic Adventure rumored to come to XBLA (in a horrible looking boxed in port), I think we may see Shenmue on XBLA and PSN by the end of the year. Achievements and the 360 controller is all I need to motivate me through another play through.

Effect

I wonder if it's time Sega started selling off some of it's old IPs. They seemingly don't have the talent to work on them anymore. Let someone else do it. Or at least license them out to other developers. I would love to see another Crazy Taxi game. Shenmue is just another example of that. Maybe they don't have the talent and/or clearly don't have the money to make the game on their own. However expecting someone to simply fund the entire development is crazy. Do they think either of the three would do that and not want more then exclusivity. They'd want ownership in the end. Sega wouldn't be negotiating from strength I think.

jay

Segata Sanshiro said:

If Sega told him to retire then you're right, he isn't touching any more games. But if he left of his own volition then it seems more likely he would put on some pants and go into the office for Shenmue III than any other project.

Let me put this another way. Why do you hate hope?

Mato

Sega never delivers with long-awaited sequels. All this Sonic crap and then Nights. If they do it, it will be something cheap.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Effect said:
I wonder if it's time Sega started selling off some of it's old IPs. They seemingly don't have the talent to work on them anymore. Let someone else do it. Or at least license them out to other developers. I would love to see another Crazy Taxi game. Shenmue is just another example of that. Maybe they don't have the talent and/or clearly don't have the money to make the game on their own. However expecting someone to simply fund the entire development is crazy. Do they think either of the three would do that and not want more then exclusivity. They'd want ownership in the end. Sega wouldn't be negotiating from strength I think.

This is something I never understood in gaming industry. Why do most big studios just sit on IPs and let them dust. Lucas Arts is one of the finest examples, they have many quality ips that could still make money but for some reason we will never see new full throttle game nor Day of the Tentacle.

Prine

Banned
ScHlAuChi said:

No no no no NO! I played Yakuza 3 demo and its nothing like Shenmue. Its very unpolished, the fighting system was a mess, last gen animation with OTT situations.

Complete opposite of Shenmue.

Xater

This so never going to happen. :lol

Don#t get your hopes up guys! Buy Yakuza instead and experience Shenmue without the suck.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would be great to see them tackle such a project in this day and age. I always thought the Dreamcast was NOT well suited to the type of game they tried to create. None of the last gen machines were really capable of delivering such dense environments without any loading screens.

No no no no NO! I played Yakuza 3 demo and its nothing like Shenmue. Its very unpolished, the fighting system was a mess, last gen animation with OTT situations.

Complete opposite of Shenmue.
Uhh, how long has it been since you've played Shenmue? Go take a look at that animation once again...

Blackace said:
I think Shenmue is totally possible. A game like that on a major platform could only do well after the success of the Yakuza series. The only thing is do you reboot the series or try to just continue like your company wasn't bought out by pachinko makers

As much as it would piss off every single Shenmue fan, I think the right way to do it would be to keep the name of Shenmue, reboot it and re-interpretate the original story and do it all over again.

Throw out everything from the first two games, and do everything from the beginning and ground up again.

Top Bottom