• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

Prine said:
No no no no NO! I played Yakuza 3 demo and its nothing like Shenmue. Its very unpolished, the fighting system was a mess, last gen animation with OTT situations.

Complete opposite of Shenmue.

Hang on now, lets not pretend Shenmue had an amazing fighting system, because it didn't. But I agree its definitely a different beast to Shenmue. Shenmue to me is more about fully realised digital towns with cupboards to open, NPC's with real daily routines, that kinda stuff. Which is why I doubt if we did see a sequel it would be anything good. Who shares that level of detail and vision any more? No-one, because a game hasn't matched Shenmue in that area in the last decade.

Vinterbird said:
As much as it would piss off every single Shenmue fan, I think the right way to do it would be to keep the name of Shenmue, reboot it and re-interpretate the original story and do it all over again.

Throw out everything from the first two games, and do everything from the beginning and ground up again.

mf9LIHOYgqt2m1vxbTZuy5Wdo1_500.png

Objection!
Thats insane, thats like making a second Yakuza.

Btw: I'm sure, that the game itself was almost done. I mean, they had clips of shenmue 2 in the saturn era, so you can be sure, they already worked on shenmue 3 back then. then made the dreamcast versions of 1 and two, but I think that III was still in development, so at least the core story and many locations should have been build already and only have to be upgraded to the standards of today. thats pure speculation, but not that illogical.

Deku

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Hang on now, lets not pretend Shenmue had an amazing fighting system, because it didn't. But I agree its definitely a different beast to Shenmue. Shenmue to me is more about fully realised digital towns with cupboards to open, NPC's with real daily routines, that kinda stuff. Which is why I doubt if we did see a sequel it would be anything good. Who shares that level of detail and vision any more? No-one, because a game hasn't matched Shenmue in that area in the last decade.

that makes me want to boot up the games again. I love my fully realized, and interactive digital towns.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
mf9LIHOYgqt2m1vxbTZuy5Wdo1_500.png

Objection!
Thats insane, thats like making a second Yakuza.

Btw: I'm sure, that the game itself was almost done. I mean, they had clips of shenmue 2 in the saturn era, so you can be sure, they already worked on shenmue 3 back then. then made the dreamcast versions of 1 and two, but I think that III was still in development, so at least the core story and many locations should have been build already and only have to be upgraded to the standards of today. thats pure speculation, but not that illogical.

While you can upgrade the graphics and animations easily you can't upgrade the writing so easily. By todays standards writing of Shenmue is probably the biggest problem and the story isn't most impressive either. Don't know how todays gamers would take the story/writing of shenmue today.

Dra-Q

Banned
Vinterbird said:
As much as it would piss off every single Shenmue fan, I think the right way to do it would be to keep the name of Shenmue, reboot it and re-interpretate the original story and do it all over again.

Throw out everything from the first two games, and do everything from the beginning and ground up again.

Sounds good to me. They could even link the Shenmue series with Yakuza if both games play in our time. Like, Ryo goes to Tokyo and is beaten up by Kazuma Kiryu.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SecretBonusPoint said:
SecretBonusPoint, did you see my PM?

The fact Sega haven't ported Shenmue 1 and 2 over to Wii is a massive shame, Shenmue deserves a proper shot on a poplar system and when the Wii has gone that option will disappear with it.
I can't see a 3rd game coming out unless somthing is done with the first two.

KamenSenshi

no reboot. do a shenmue double pack for 30-40 like hotd and when it sales to a certain milestone announce 3. even if its a $90 limited edition i'd be there day 1.

KamenSenshi said:
no reboot. do a shenmue double pack for 30-40 like hotd and when it sales to a certain milestone announce 3. even if its a $90 limited edition i'd be there day 1.

This sort of deal would not bring Shenmue 3 any closer to reality. Shenmue more or less bombed, and it did so for a reason. It was slow, tedious, with embarrassing voice acting and weird controls.

If you were in to what it was trying to do (immersion over every other priority, even fun) then it was amazing. But if you weren't in to that, well, it was basically the single most boring game of all time.

Bringing Shenmue 1 and 2, unchanged, to any platform, will just make its failure all that more apparent.

Shenmue fans need to come to terms with the fact that Shenmue, as it was, is probably dead and never coming back. It exists in some weird bizarro limbo where niche concepts met a grand scope and a ridiculous budget. It lacks mainstream appeal, but the ideas at the core of Shenmue's concept demand mainstream appeal because of how detail-oriented they are (and therefore, expensive to create).

If Shenmue comes back, it is not going to be the Shenmue you remember.

cryptic

Sega1991 said:
This sort of deal would not bring Shenmue 3 any closer to reality. Shenmue more or less bombed, and it did so for a reason. It was slow, tedious, with embarrassing voice acting and weird controls.

If you were in to what it was trying to do (immersion over every other priority, even fun) then it was amazing. But if you weren't in to that, well, it was basically the single most boring game of all time.

Bringing Shenmue 1 and 2, unchanged, to any platform, will just make its failure all that more apparent.

Shenmue fans need to come to terms with the fact that Shenmue, as it was, is probably dead and never coming back. It exists in some weird bizarro limbo where niche concepts met a grand scope and a ridiculous budget. It lacks mainstream appeal, but the ideas at the core of Shenmue's concept demand mainstream appeal because of how detail-oriented they are (and therefore, expensive to create).

If Shenmue comes back, it is not going to be the Shenmue you remember.

Did you play it when it came out?

I've read so many people first playing the second on the xbox or revisiting it so many years after it's release that hold it to standards that shouldn't be there.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let Nagoshi remake the first two games using the RGG/Yakuza 3/4 engine. Then let him team up with Yu-san to make Shenmue III. Problem solved, since the existing engine should save some $$$...

MedIC86

Sounds to me its not gonna happen :(..

But SEGA how about a remake of Shenmue 1 + 2 Full HD for PS3 and or X360

pwutty please 0_0

jay

Sega1991 said:

The first sold over a million copies. It bombed relative to its enormous budget.

Sega1991 said:
Shenmue fans need to come to terms with the fact that Shenmue, as it was, is probably dead and never coming back.

This is funny considering your name and avatar. I doubt you can begrudge people for remembering a game and period fondly and hoping to revisit them.

Vgamer

jay said:
The first sold over a million copies. It bombed relative to its enormous budget.

Ya it actually sold really good considering the install base for the Dreamcast at the time. In fact it was the 4th best selling Dreamcast game of all time. The problem was the enormous budget of the game.

Kron

Banned
wrowa said:
I don't think that would work. Most people simply don't have nostalgic feelings for Dreamcast graphics

REALLY? I can't believe this at all.

A console that offered native VGA output 10 YEARS AGO!, A console that offered bright enticing graphics with texture quality that the PS2 simply couldn't hope to match. Can you imagine what a muddy non defined mess a game like Shenmue would have looked like on the PS2?

The ones with no nostalgic feelings are the ones who spent no time with the system.

charsace

Vinterbird said:

Fuck no. The shenmue games were top notch and there was just something about the cut scenes that don't think anyone else would be able to capture. I really don't want to see anyone try to recreate the Lan Di/Ryo stare down from shenmue 2.

Fuzz Rez said:
While you can upgrade the graphics and animations easily you can't upgrade the writing so easily. By todays standards writing of Shenmue is probably the biggest problem and the story isn't most impressive either. Don't know how todays gamers would take the story/writing of shenmue today.
Shenmue's writing and plot is better executed than most of the shit that comes out today.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
@Sega1991

Shenmue didn't " boombed ", but it was failure considering it's huge budget that all , iirc according to NPD it did 460,316 in the US , and overall it sold more than million on the Dreamcast when it was 10 months old system.

Shenmue don't need to change it's Story or completely change the style or Dudebro it , maybe only the control and graphics only , it's still a Unique Experiment with few games doing what it did even by today's standards.

The Power Of Snap said:
How about a new Ristar or Comix zone

until Sonic Team make very very good Sonic game again , I don't want them to ever touch Ristar again with their dirty hands.

Zapages

Maybe Sega take a page from Valve's book and go with Episodic content with Shenmue? Its just a thought. I have Shenmue for the original Dreamcast. Its was a fun/quirky game for its time. :)

KamenSenshi

Sega1991 said:
Shenmue fans need to come to terms with the fact that Shenmue, as it was, is probably dead and never coming back.
oh, i dont really expect that type of thing to happen, just that it seems like a decent way to maybe gauge interest. plus i just want it finished, its been said before but sega at this point is just kinda teasing.

ElFly

Zapages said:
Maybe Sega take a page from Valve's book and go with Episodic content with Shenmue? Its just a thought. I have Shenmue for the original Dreamcast. Its was a fun/quirky game for its time. :)

Maybe they did!

It'd be in line with Valve episodic content delivery times.

cryptic said:
Did you play it when it came out?

I've read so many people first playing the second on the xbox or revisiting it so many years after it's release that hold it to standards that shouldn't be there.

Are you kidding? I consider myself in the camp of people who UNDERSTANDS Shenmue. I have a copy of Shenmue 2 (UK) for the Dreamcast.

But that does not mean I lack the ability to understand what happened to Shenmue. I produced an entire video review/retrospective on Shenmue that was basically "Look, Shenmue was awesome, but it was awesome because it was intentionally boring and obviously some people aren't going to put up with that."

Totobeni said:
Shenmue didn't " boombed ", but it was failure considering it's huge budget that all , iirc according to NPD it did 460,316 in the US , and overall it sold more than million on the Dreamcast when it was 10 months old system.

One could argue it sold that much based on marketing and hype alone. It's happened. But look around this very thread - there are people who were not happy with Shenmue. There were people back in 2000 and 2001 that were not happy with Shenmue.

It was touted as the second coming and it wasn't. Nobody copied Shenmue's mechanics. There has only been one Shenmue. It was not as successful as Sega wanted (and needed) it to be.

Sega1991 said:
Are you kidding? I consider myself in the camp of people who UNDERSTANDS Shenmue. I have a copy of Shenmue 2 (UK) for the Dreamcast.

But that does not mean I lack the ability to understand what happened to Shenmue. I produced an entire video review/retrospective on Shenmue that was basically "Look, Shenmue was awesome, but it was awesome because it was intentionally boring and obviously some people aren't going to put up with that."

One could argue it sold that much based on marketing and hype alone. It's happened. But look around this very thread - there are people who were not happy with Shenmue. There were people back in 2000 and 2001 that were not happy with Shenmue.

It was touted as the second coming and it wasn't. Nobody copied Shenmue's mechanics. There has only been one Shenmue. It was not as successful as Sega wanted (and needed) it to be.

well shenmue introduced cinematic QTEs

MightyKAC

This game deserves a conclusion. And not as some bastard child of Yakuza, but in the spirit of the first two.

Keep the elements that worked (the immersion, the exploration, and the rpg elements) tweak the stuff that didn't (the pacing, the dialogue, and IMO some of the QTE's). Release it WITH the originals, and call it something like "Shenmue saga" and call it a day.

Oh and make that shit multi platform.

C-Jo

Gravijah said:
Sega are like the best trolls ever.

Unfortunately this.

It breaks my heart to even see this brought up, because I just can't ever see it happening. No matter what Sega is saying now.

ethelred said:
Cool. It'd be neat to have a Shenmue 3 made by someone other than Yu Suzuki so that it diverges from the earlier games so drastically that series fans drown on their own tears. I bet it'll be Sonic Team taking over.
Everyone would love it, just like the NiGHTs revival everyone always wished for.

Tamanon

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
Holy crap. After the info i posted in the Natal thread and seeing this, could you imagine Shenmue with natal? Is it MS that is going for exclusivity?

I can't think of a more fitting pairing than Natal and another Shenmue game.

gimz said:
they should start all over again

shenmue reboot

just put shenmue 1 and 2 in one pacvkage, streamline shenmue 1 the way they streamlined 2, maybe add the second chapter of shenmue (the boat chapter). Release Shenmue three with the remaining chapters after that.

But btw guys, do you remember that extended shenmue online trailer with shenhua and land di fighting with the phoenix and dragon against each other? If thats an indicator for the story, I would rather not see it completed. a little magic is ok, but that trailer was just over the top

PyschoDiver

Neo Member
I wonder how much money was sunk into Shenmue online before it was canned? Sega just made a shitload from Bayonetta, I think they have a little free money for a third Shenmue.

IrishNinja

Mama Robotnik said:
In terms of financing, could Sega not make "Shenmue III" using the Megaman IX approach, having the game made for a Dreamcast-esque engine with less expensive assets?

I know people want a 1080p surround sound internet-co-op behemoth, but in terms of funding and audience, this may not be feasable.

this makes tremendous sense, and cant be quoted enough. it'd sell as a niche title, and not even cost much.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Lets reopen an old wound for no reason! Thanks Sega!

...this, of course, is the harsher pill to swallow.

Jacobi

Banned
A downloadable ShenMue with improved lightning and in HD would be great already.
Why can't Sega make this? It would pay out for them - I think

Shenmue II was distributed by Microsoft:

561258_back.jpg

I think if any 1st party is going to jump on exclusivity, it's going to be Microsoft (again). Hell, they fucking wanted Monster Hunter Frontier Online to be on their system. However, I don't think Microsoft will be a publisher or distributor for MHFO. Capcom just got a bribe.

Wedge7

Man, these Shenmue rumors always get me. Gets my hopes up everytime, I reminisce about the game for a while, reminds me how much it sucks that the story will never be concluded. Damn.

NinMicroSega said:
Shenmue II was distributed by Microsoft:

561258_back.jpg

I think if any 1st party is going to jump on exclusivity, it's going to be Microsoft (again). Hell, they fucking wanted Monster Hunter Frontier Online to be on their system. However, I don't think Microsoft will be a publisher or distributor for MHFO. Capcom just got a bribe.

this post makes no sense, at all.

jay

Is it entirely irrational to hold MS somewhat accountable for the death of the series? The first game sold well in America on the DC, the second sold poorly in America on the Xbox. Of course even if you concede that the exclusivity deal severely hurt the series, Sega had to agree to it in the first place.

You win this time, Microsoft.

Jcgamer60

Wedge7 said:
Man, these Shenmue rumors always get me. Gets my hopes up everytime, I reminisce about the game for a while, reminds me how much it sucks that the story will never be concluded. Damn.

This info is no rumor.

Top Bottom