• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

glddrgn

A bit off topic, but a currency derives its value from being a:

-Store of value
-Medium of exchange
-Unit of account
-System of control

Crypto is a good store of value, because it's difficult to steal, global, doesn't deteriorate and limited in supply.
It does well as a medium of exchange, as it's digital, divisible, transborder (fast international remittances).
It's not so great as a unit of account, until things start getting priced in crypto.

The best thing about it for many, is that it cannot be used by governments, banks or anyone else as a system of control. The supply is not controlled by a central bank, preventing inflation. No one can take away your money or close your bank account. You don't have to trust a third party to keep your money safe. This is a real concern in countries like Venezuela, Zimbabwe, ... where the inflation rate is sky high.

Those are the fundamentals. If you think crypto is undervalued against those properties compared to fiat, gold, ... then you should invest. If not, then you shouldn't :)

longdi

Banned
A bit off topic, but a currency derives its value from being a:

-Store of value
-Medium of exchange
-Unit of account
-System of control

Crypto is a good store of value, because it's difficult to steal, global, doesn't deteriorate and limited in supply.
It does well as a medium of exchange, as it's digital, transborder (fast international remittances).
It's not so great as a unit of account, until things start getting priced in crypto.

The best thing about it for many, is that it cannot be used by governments, banks or anyone else as a system of control. The supply is not controlled by a central bank, preventing inflation. No one can take away your money or close your bank account. You don't have to trust a third party to keep your money safe. This is a real concern in countries like Venezuela, Zimbabwe, ... where the inflation rate is sky high.

Those are the fundamentals. If you think crypto is undervalued against those properties compared to fiat, gold, ... then you should invest. If not, then you shouldn't :)

Isnt the fact that Amazon or Nvidia can generate way more crypto than your bedroom stacks of radeons, thats why pricing in crypto is not happening.

glddrgn

So we're just going to replace banks with IT companies ?

You could see it that way, but the difference is that developers don't hold your money like banks do. The system is decentralized. The whole network keeps and secures your money with no one having control over your money but yourself.

So, if anything, banks are being replaced by you being your own bank.

Isnt the fact that Amazon or Nvidia can generate way more crypto than your bedroom stacks of radeons, thats why pricing in crypto is not happening.

Sorry, I'm not following you.. Pricing is not happening yet because crypto is too new, not widely accepted and volatile

To relate back to the topic of this thread a bit: Bitcoin futures will be traded by the CME group, the world's largest futures exchange, by end of this year.

A good way to make money with crypto is doing paper/usb/etc wallets. Just give up 6 hours a day after your normal job, and do big markups on the materials. Easy money for now.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Banks are not being replaced.....

I'm still here. Currently pondering selling investments in taxable. Market is so high but I think it could go higher before summer.

Is selling covered calls basically free money?
I just sold 5 contracts for NIO expiring 11/20 with a strike of $70 for over $400.
if NIO is below $70 at expiration I keep my shares and the premium. If NIO is $70 or over by expiration then I may be forced to sell my 500 shares for $70 and keep the premium.

am I missing something? In the chance i have to sell my shares, i’m Still making a shit ton of profit and I can always buy the shares back with the proceeds. If not, I can keep repeating this every week and net $400 a week.

why doesn’t everyone do this?

Last edited:

isual

Is selling covered calls basically free money?
I just sold 5 contracts for NIO expiring 11/20 with a strike of $70 for over $400.
if NIO is below $70 at expiration I keep my shares and the premium. If NIO is $70 or over by expiration then I may be forced to sell my 500 shares for $70 and keep the premium.

am I missing something? In the chance i have to sell my shares, i’m Still making a shit ton of profit and I can always buy the shares back with the proceeds. If not, I can keep repeating this every week and net $400 a week.

why doesn’t everyone do this?

1. because it doesn't work all the time due to volatility; if you win now, you'll get that 'high' of winning $, so you keep going. there is no true safe risk/reward with doing option calls 100 percent.
2. if it was viably successful, everyone would be doing it, but not everyone is. its a big risk, and i'd say in order to do it you have no be able to take the risk of not being able to sell at the premium if it doesn't go your way.
3. etfs and mutual funds are better for risk/long term growth.

1. because it doesn't work all the time due to volatility; if you win now, you'll get that 'high' of winning $, so you keep going. there is no true safe risk/reward with doing option calls 100 percent.
2. if it was viably successful, everyone would be doing it, but not everyone is. its a big risk, and i'd say in order to do it you have no be able to take the risk of not being able to sell at the premium if it doesn't go your way.
3. etfs and mutual funds are better for risk/long term growth.

how is it a big risk? If I get executed all that happens is that I am forced to sell my shares. I’m still profiting. nio is like $45 now and my strike is $70. If nio goes to 75 next Friday, then I sell my shares for 70 and miss out on $5 per share profit. That’s a lot yeah - $2500 but if you subtract the premium I got, it’s more like $2000 profit loss.
Selling weeklies far out of the money seems like extremely low risk in getting executed. I highly doubt nio is going to $70 next week
If I do this strategically and only sell calls that will likely not be executed, I can repeat this indefinitely and keep collecting that premium

Last edited:
how is it a big risk? If I get executed all that happens is that I am forced to sell my shares. I’m still profiting. nio is like $45 now and my strike is $70. If nio goes to 75 next Friday, then I sell my shares for 70 and miss out on $5 per share profit. That’s a lot yeah - $2500 but if you subtract the premium I got, it’s more like $2000 profit loss.
Selling weeklies far out of the money seems like extremely low risk in getting executed. I highly doubt nio is going to $70 next week
If I do this strategically and only sell calls that will likely not be executed, I can repeat this indefinitely and keep collecting that premium

It’s not big risk. It’s the lowest risk of all the options strategies.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Hey guys rejoined the site after 8 year hiatus. Good to see investing strong. Completed my CFA recently and MsCIF a few years back (if anyone is interested in credentials).

Current portfolio includes a few good stocks - just to name a few

MGM, ETSY, FTCH, NIO (sold yesterday), CAKE, JKS, CSIQ, PINS, BJRI, MSFT, DKNG, BA, TPR, TSLA. (Most bought in March)

ETFS - VGT, TAN, FNGU (buy and sell this one).

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
It’s not big risk. It’s the lowest risk of all the options strategies.

The correct answer. The downside of covered calls is the potential to lose out on gains, not the potential to lose money. (Relative to the underlying)

If you sell 1 year out covered calls on Microsoft for example at 5% above current value, you would gain the premium + all returns up to 5%.

What if Microsoft goes up 40%?

You didn’t lose money, but you’re still going to be looking for the nearest bridge on Google maps.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm currently invested in TSLA, AMD, BTC, and ETH.

I am profitable in all, except ETH. I went in during it's highest point ($1,100.00). Oof! :messenger_confounded:

And the it's around $20,000 worth, invested.

I feel like we're about to see another market correction/collapse to earlier levels due to increased COVID cases and potential shutdowns in some city centers.

I could be wrong though, but I sold out of some short term positions and locked in profits. Hoping to re-buy lower. On the flip side I may have also screwed myself, lol.

Last edited:

greyshark

Wow, this thread is 13 years old guys. Maybe we should have a new thread for this?

Not super active but we have one in Communities:

There are two problems.

1. You are trying to sell the call at a high price. What that price should be will change over tine due to inflation, so you need to have a way of calculating what the call price should be.

2. If we get a period of rapid sustained inflation it will actually be better to hold onto the stock because you won't be able to buy back in at your starting point, and by the time you buy back in it will probably be higher than at the price you sold for.

I know this part will sound nuts but, there are competing theories about whether the future will have more inflation or deflation. If the future is deflationary it's free money, if it's inflationary than this will cost you in the long run and the best bet is either buy and hold or sell and get into gold, silver, or crypto.

There are two problems.

1. You are trying to sell the call at a high price. What that price should be will change over tine due to inflation, so you need to have a way of calculating what the call price should be.

2. If we get a period of rapid sustained inflation it will actually be better to hold onto the stock because you won't be able to buy back in at your starting point, and by the time you buy back in it will probably be higher than at the price you sold for.

I know this part will sound nuts but, there are competing theories about whether the future will have more inflation or deflation. If the future is deflationary it's free money, if it's inflationary than this will cost you in the long run and the best bet is either buy and hold or sell and get into gold, silver, or crypto.
Well I keep my shares if it doesn’t hit $70 by Friday. There’s no way NIO is going from $45 to $70 in 5 days

Well I keep my shares if it doesn’t hit $70 by Friday. There’s no way NIO is going from $45 to $70 in 5 days

In my experience I usually don't see people buying calls this far out of the money, or if they do it's super cheap especially with such a short term expiration it may be going on now, but I would expect that to change at some point, unless it does have the kind of volatility where some people looking at charts might think that will actually happen.

In my experience I usually don't see people buying calls this far out of the money, or if they do it's super cheap especially with such a short term expiration it may be going on now, but I would expect that to change at some point, unless it does have the kind of volatility where some people looking at charts might think that will actually happen.

Yeah, honestly I don't know why would anyone would think NIO's going to $70 next week but they sold immediately.

Yeah, honestly I don't know why would anyone would think NIO's going to $70 next week but they sold immediately.

There are people shilling it on Wallstreet bets subbreddit, and I think 4chan's stock market general thread on the biz board. Some of these people are total degenerates and have no idea what they are doing. They just copy what someone else did without an understanding of the fundamentals or why they are doing it. I would feel bad but you can't talk sense into these degenerates.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

You're seeing a rotation out of Chinese EV last week. XPENG and LI AUTO were also down. What investors are banking on are the Chinese shift into EV to meet their own green goals and Chinese protectionism. In the case of NIO it has BaaS (Battery-as-a-Service) which saves 20% of the vehicles cost to the consumer.

The downside is that the EV market is rapidly approaching saturation in terms of supply. TESLA has first-mover advantage alongside other components that make it a far better stock.

I sold my NIO shares. The vol is too much, I tracking renewable and EV ETFs.

Last edited:
May have sold my FSR and FSR warrants too early. I made 30 and 60% respectively, but it's been hot and heavy after the merger.

I just didn't feel comfortable holding into the weekend with COVID cases spiking, but it seems right now the market is looking past the pandemic.

Arimer

I"ve been dabbling in investments using M1 finance app. I looked up something called the lazy portfolio and been running that. I"m interested into getting into more active trading but at the same time i don't know anything about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're seeing a rotation out of Chinese EV last week. XPENG and LI AUTO were also down. What investors are banking on are the Chinese shift into EV to meet their own green goals and Chinese protectionism. In the case of NIO it has BaaS (Battery-as-a-Service) which saves 20% of the vehicles cost to the consumer.

The downside is that the EV market is rapidly approaching saturation in terms of supply. TESLA has first-mover advantage alongside other components that make it a far better stock.

I sold my NIO shares. The vol is too much, I tracking renewable and EV ETFs.
Bailed ship on Li Auto. Got in at close to $17 at IPO, just dumped it all for $36 flat. Just doubled my money.

Way too volatile. NIO reports tomorrow. If it's good, all Chinese EV will shoot up and I'll miss out. Oh well, but hopefully the remaining investors keep making money. Share the wealth!

Still got KNDI at $6.50. Currently at $8. Will ride that out a bit. They make tiny shitty looking EV cars, but market cap only $500M.

Hoping Lightspeed POS keeps going up. Got in the $40s (CDN). Cant believe my HPE s finally up. Got in at $10. WIll dump it if it can hit $13-14.

Got in Utz chips at about $17 IPO. Finally up. Two months of nothing. But shot up $1.50 past two weeks.

Got in the GO (Grocery Outlet) IPO over a year ago at $35. Asshole stock right away shot to $48. Then the past year it trickled down slowly like a turtle. Rebounded lately due to COVID sales spike, dumped at $44 maybe 2 weeks ago. People must had hated the earnings because it's now at $37. Might get back in if it hits $30-35.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Bailed ship on Li Auto. Got in at close to $17 at IPO, just dumped it all for $36 flat. Just doubled my money.

Way too volatile. NIO reports tomorrow. If it's good, all Chinese EV will shoot up and I'll miss out. Oh well, but hopefully the remaining investors keep making money. Share the wealth!

Still got KNDI at $6.50. Currently at $8. Will ride that out a bit. They make tiny shitty looking EV cars, but market cap only $500M.

Hoping Lightspeed POS keeps going up. Got in the $40s (CDN). Cant believe my HPE s finally up. Got in at $10. WIll dump it if it can hit $13-14.

Got in Utz chips at about $17 IPO. Finally up. Two months of nothing. But shot up $1.50 past two weeks.

Got in the GO (Grocery Outlet) IPO over a year ago at $35. Asshole stock right away shot to $48. Then the past year it trickled down slowly like a turtle. Rebounded lately due to COVID sales spike, dumped at $44 maybe 2 weeks ago. People must had hated the earnings because it's now at $37. Might get back in if it hits $30-35.

XPENG AND LI, beat earnings I think. I still have Li Auto which gave strong guidance (caution should still be high for Chinese ADRs, Luckin Coffee is a good example of this).

Options are priced for a strong move after earnings tomm which I suspect would beat but it depends on how much and is the market willing to reward the company based on the result. IV is up over 200% so if you have the room you can do a put or call or both (Nov expiry).

However given the momentum of the stock, the hype behind EV, the global investment appetite to shift from gas to EV, Nio could still rise but I won't risk over exposing my portfolio to chinese ADRs.

TrainedRage

Banned
Anyone have advice for me about Apple? I kinda want to get out... I only have like 4 shares but I bought at 120$ so I’m not too keen to sell for a minor loss.

I just noticed since the split they have been really stagnant and mostly dropping. 💁‍♂️

Or am I worried about nothing?

bigsnack

I feel like we're about to see another market correction/collapse to earlier levels due to increased COVID cases and potential shutdowns in some city centers.

I could be wrong though, but I sold out of some short term positions and locked in profits. Hoping to re-buy lower. On the flip side I may have also screwed myself, lol.
Volatility has been getting smoked and market behavior is sliding into the bull grind. I am buying every dip!

ManofOne

Plus Member

I don't think so, the market reaction to the March covid was overdone but it's not without its merits.

You're seeing companies forced to operate leaner (i.e. low inventory, low labor,). You're also seeing companies being forced into a technological paradigm that many were slow to transition into. The restaurant business is a good example of this, now companies are revamping their websites for online ordering and partnering with 3rd party delivery and order apps.

I expect the market to remain pretty bullish until the full election results are in. Biden's plan will definitely hurt businesses if he hikes the minimum wage and increases taxes. An extremely large fiscal plan (possibly around 2 trillion) would help balance it but added upon a $1 trillion plan for climate change and higher regulatory costs the U.S may see that tax increase up from 28% to 30-35%.

I would short the market if the dems take control of the senate as much of those plans fall into limbo under republicans

Last edited:
I don't think so, the market reaction to the March covid was overdone but it's not without its merits.

You're seeing companies forced to operate leaner (i.e. low inventory, low labor,). You're also seeing companies being forced into a technological paradigm that many were slow to transition into. The restaurant business is a good example of this, now companies are revamping their websites for online ordering and partnering with 3rd party delivery and order apps.

I expect the market to remain pretty bullish until the full election results are in. Biden's plan will definitely hurt businesses if he hikes the minimum wage and increases taxes. An extremely large fiscal plan (possibly around 2 trillion) would help balance it but added upon a $1 trillion plan for climate change and higher regulatory costs the U.S may see that tax increase up from 28% to 30-35%.

I would short the market if the dems take control of the senate as much of those plans fall into limbo under republicans

Yeah I disagree. These online orders aren’t enough to help restaurants limp by. They need alcohol orders too, which many states don’t allow.

The market is such bullshit. A few weeks ago there was some red days because of coronavirus fears, and as of today, things have never looked worse numbers-wise. It’s going to take a long while for any vaccine to be distributed, wait 3 weeks, then give booster shot etc etc.

We certainly shouldn’t be at all time highs, this action is all forward looking past the pandemic.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yeah I disagree. These online orders aren’t enough to help restaurants limp by. They need alcohol orders too, which many states don’t allow.

The market is such bullshit. A few weeks ago there was some red days because of coronavirus fears, and as of today, things have never looked worse numbers-wise. It’s going to take a long while for any vaccine to be distributed, wait 3 weeks, then give booster shot etc etc.

We certainly shouldn’t be at all time highs, this action is all forward looking past the pandemic.

This is true for smaller restaurants but for larger franchise companies, they're beating estimates. Take CAKE (Cheesecake factory) for example, their model heavily relies on foot traffic through malls and shopping areas but they beat estimates easily, their cash balance is growing and they are operating restaurants at 50%-60% capacity, however, despite that, revenues are still up alongside a leaner company. Their focus on online service and delivery is keeping them in the game. Reduce food/delivery waiting time and faster inventory turnover has resulted in a consensus buy. Same for DARDEN, BJ Restaurants, YUM Brands etc.

This virus is showcasing good management which shareholders are rewarding. A miss on earnings results on average 5% - 10% decline in share price the harshest it's ever been in a while.

I still think the case for a bull market is very strong BUT that depends mostly on January runoffs.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Just an update on Berkshire Hathaway holdings..

Source article Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio
106657-16055852792173474.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Woo-hoo. Kandi Krush (KNDI). Texas giving out EV incentives so stock is up 15%.

Might bail if it hits $10. Would make 50% in a week.

Not huge money. Only bought 1000 shares. So if it hits $10, it'll be about $4500 profit (CDN).

Last edited:

The market is always forward looking though isn't it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks for sharing - crazy how much of their portfolio is in AAPL.
Ya.

One thing about Buffet is never follow what he says on TV. Best way to follow what he does is see what he actually does.

Years back he was the big time anti-tech guy, then next thing you know they guy has shit loads of Apple and Amazon. Guy had been scooping up shares for years and then tells people he got in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I;m out. Dumped KNDI for $9.92. It's up 20% today. Made about $4500 CDN profit in a week. Not humongous money, but worth rolling the dice on 1000 shares at $6.50 last week.

I'm out of Chinese EV, but NIO reports after hours.

Still got EVs on my watch list in case I jump back in.

For all you gaffers riding the EV train, good luck and hope you guys make more cash.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I;m out. Dumped KNDI for $9.92. It's up 20% today. Made about $4500 CDN profit in a week. Not humongous money, but worth rolling the dice on 1000 shares at $6.50 last week.

I'm out of Chinese EV, but NIO reports after hours.

Still got EVs on my watch list in case I jump back in.

For all you gaffers riding the EV train, good luck and hope you guys make more cash.

I think NIO will beat but the rally doesn't justify further price movement if it beats. I think its already priced in unless it gives VERY VERY strong guidance.

We saw other Chinese EV suppliers beat. Options up over 200% on vol so if they give strong guidance you're easily looking at 1000% plus. Not risking it thou. I'm satisfied with my gains and TSLA joining the S&P

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just rolled the dice on Cineplex on TSX. On a 3 day hot streak. Got in at $8.

I don't think that $30 buyout is ever going to reverse and happen. But if sentiment about vaccines holds, it might rebound to $10+ and settle, then I'll dump.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think NIO will beat but the rally doesn't justify further price movement if it beats. I think its already priced in unless it gives VERY VERY strong guidance.

We saw other Chinese EV suppliers beat. Options up over 200% on vol so if they give strong guidance you're easily looking at 1000% plus. Not risking it thou. I'm satisfied with my gains and TSLA joining the S&P
Whats your view on Fisker? I bought in today just trying to play the momentum game.

Got lucky on Cineplex. Up again.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Whats your view on Fisker? I bought in today just trying to play the momentum game.

Got lucky on Cineplex. Up again.

I looked into them around September. But not enough detailed info to make an investment decision on. They are still fairly new to the game. They only have one analyst covering them from Cowen which gave them a PT of $22.00 a 33% upside.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I looked into them around September. But not enough detailed info to make an investment decision on. They are still fairly new to the game. They only have one analyst covering them from Cowen which gave them a PT of $22.00 a 33% upside.
Thanks. Ya, not a lot of info about them. Only key nugget I got was their expected launch of vehicles is Q4 2022, and they are partnering with Magna to build them.

Pretty barren info aside from my quick skim for info.

Dumped my Cineplex for a small gain over 24 hrs. Fatty Doug Ford said he's going to announce more covid lockdown crap Friday. He seems pissed at the large Toronto region spikes. I'm out.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
DKNG up 40%+ since beginning of November. Whenever a good company sells additional stock, this always happens. It falls due to dilution and then rises after earnings.

Loving my position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom