• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A Ghost Story" Trailer - Casey Affleck/Rooney Mara

Sacha

Beautiful and powerful movie, the kind that stays with you for a while. Saw it at the Fantasia Festival up here in Montreal and loved it, especially how it dealt with the passage of time.

Go in blind if you can! Don't watch a trailer!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Came back from this an hour ago. Tremendously poignant, and beautiful movie. There were some scenes that absolutely killed me emotionally.

Also, I dont think a film ever really conveyed that sense of isolation from the perspective of a ghost like this film did. If there was I wouldn't mind being directed towards them.

With that said this is the type of film that will test your patience. I had to come to terms with this during one of the long takes early on and I eventually settled in.

Man man man. This movie was amazing. I've been thinking about it for the last 4 hours I got out of the theater. Seriously go watch it if its playing near you.

Vengrim

Friend and I saw it. He thought it was boring and pretentious. I think there was a lot to like but it didn't rise to great. Particularly...

When the ghost pulls the note out of the wall at the end, he shouldn't have been able to do that since she painted over it. I didn't see anything that would have changed that the second time around.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There's a scene a bit over halfway through this where a guy lays out the themes of the movie in a rant that is so, so, so obvious and indulgent that it ruined the movie for me from that moment onward.

jimmypython

There's a scene a bit over halfway through this where a guy lays out the themes of the movie in a rant that is so, so, so obvious and indulgent that it ruined the movie for me from that moment onward.

I don't think what he said was the theme of the movie. the theme of the movie would be:
some people move on, some don't

the guy's argument is to move on because nothing matters. The ghost strongly disagrees then gets angry and makes the lights go crazy

Of course it's just my interpretation. For a movie like this, I may very well be wrong.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I don't think what he said was the theme of the movie.

my take is
the guy's argument is to move one because nothing matter. but the ghost disagree then gets angry and makes the lights go crazy

it's just my take.

Thats how I took it. I could see how it would cheapen the film as an exposition dump but it
was clearly challenging the ghosts need to hold on to that reality.

It was amazing.

It's a bit of a struggle initially but when it gets past the first 20 minutes, it gets really really good.

Rooney Mara can really eat pie.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think what he said was the theme of the movie. the theme of the movie would be:
some people move on, some don't
. Of course it's just my interpretation. For a movie like this, it may very well be wrong.

my take:
the guy's argument is to move one because nothing matter. but the ghost disagree then gets angry and makes the lights go crazy

it's just my take.
I didn''t like how it interrupts the aesthetic of long shots and minimal dialogue for an extended monologue. It didn't help that what the guy was saying was juvenile nihilistic shit and Lowery let it go on and on and on, with the partygoers shutting up to listen to this pretentious windbag as if he were the most interesting man in the world.
I generally hate it when movies don't trust the audience to figure things out for themselves or find their own meaning - so this guy's rant sucking the mystery out of
the pioneer girl humming Affleck's tune
didn't sit well with me.

Ultimately the ghost
holds on for so long that time loops back around and he sees that his not moving on has caused all these problems in his life - but still he holds on to see the note. When he sees it he just vanishes - as the other ghost did earlier when it decided to move on.
So ultimately the film is endorsing what the overalls douchebag was saying.

xRaizen

Saw this and thought it was great, apart from the
stupidly long shot of Mara eating a pie, seriously just 1 minute into that and I was thinking WTF.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
stupidly long shot of Mara eating a pie, seriously just 1 minute into that and I was thinking WTF.

I'm pretty sure that was the first scene written, and the rest of the film was built around it. It's an integral part of the story, and in my opinion the whole thing would fall apart without it.

I'm pretty sure that was the first scene written, and the rest of the film was built around it. It's an integral part of the story, and in my opinion the whole thing would fall apart without it.
Literally how does it fall apart without it? It could've been replaced with her doing basically anything else and the ghost watching? How people are justifying that overwrought scene is just.

Does anyone know if this is going to open up in more theaters? The only theater playing around me is a good hours drive away, and their ticket prices are double what the other theaters around me charge.

xRaizen

Does anyone know if this is going to open up in more theaters? The only theater playing around me is a good hours drive away, and their ticket prices are double what the other theaters around me charge.

It was playing at a few theaters around me in Orlando last week, but now it's only playing at Disney Springs, one showing per night. It's a pretty limited release, it seems. Shame, I was going to take my other friend but she can't go at the time it plays.

It was playing at a few theaters around me in Orlando last week, but now it's only playing at Disney Springs, one showing per night. It's a pretty limited release, it seems. Shame, I was going to take my other friend but she can't go at the time it plays.

Damn. I guess I'll make it a priority this week. I saw tons of previews for it this spring/summer, so I was kind of surprised it didn't play in the theater near me that sometimes plays these independent movies.

Diabelli

This was great. Beautifully shot and wonderfully poignant. I do slightly agree with Krev about that table talk scene though. Plus there was so much misinformation about Beethoven that it kind of irked me. Maybe that was the point.

There was this one dude that was audibly sighing throughout the film and in this scene in particular, and when the film ended he let out a "thank fuck for that". I just hope he never accidentally stumbles into a showing of Jeanne Dielman.

AHA-Lambda

Well that was so bad I walked out.
Sorry guys :/

Haha funnily enough that was the point that about 3 people seemed to walk out of my screening, I was off shortly after

Well that was so bad I walked out.
Sorry guys :/

Haha funnily enough that was the point that about 3 people seemed to walk out of my screening, I was off shortly after
That was the most uncomfortable scene I've been in a theater in a while. I didn't even know what to do during it since it was silent as hell and I couldn't even eat popcorn.

Just saw this film. And it was strange.

What made the
neighbor ghost disappear after the houses were levelled?
I think it was acceptance.

The ghosts live on so long as they have something to live for: for C, it was to see what was in the note, and for the girl, it was the idea that whomever she was waiting for would come back. When the houses were leveled, she accepted that whomever she was waiting for would never come and thus vanished.

Top Bottom