• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Just saw Grave Encounters. While I appreciate the atmosphere (I lol'd at a few of the parts in the beginning, such as the guest star dude's overly dramatic intro), it wasn't even remotely scary. For the record, I watched it alone, on a 32" TV, in the dark.

Am I just all toughened up from all the horror games/movies or was GE totally not scary?

MedIC86

Im not sure i can qualify it as horror but i just saw nekromantik for the first time...so yeah..that ending scene...

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Check out the Spanish film In A Glass Cage - maybe not as shocking or openly violent as Martyrs, but similarly beautifully crafted & highly unsettling in content and artistic in direction. They're probably my two favorite horror movies.

Or...an animated (Japanese, duh) movie called Midori, about a girl kidnapped by a freak circus. Hard to find, but worth hunting down if you like horror to be actually horrific and disturbing. (I warned you...)

There is more to be unearthed here, if you're curious, though that's about the cream of the crop - many times you'll notice it's difficult to balance shocking content with craft & purpose, and it can be tough to separate the wheat from the August Undergrounds in this subgenre, of sorts, of extreme horror.

I would add Salò to the list of well crafted shocking movies. I thought it was excellent, but I don't know if I understood it all. There are definite themes present about governments, fascism and religion.

Edit: And you know what? I am going to say it, Human Centipede 2 was a genius movie.

Im not sure i can qualify it as horror but i just saw nekromantik for the first time...so yeah..that ending scene...

Horror is an incredibly broad genre, don't get caught up too much in trying to decide if something should be included or not.

Melchiah

Check out the Spanish film In A Glass Cage - maybe not as shocking or openly violent as Martyrs, but similarly beautifully crafted & highly unsettling in content and artistic in direction. They're probably my two favorite horror movies.

That's a marvelous movie! I bought it from Cult Epics (NSFW images inside) together with Cinema of Death a few years ago.

I'd recommend anything from Jaume Balaguero as well, particularly The Nameless, REC and his newest film Sleep Tight. His short films Alicia and Dias Sin Luz (AKA Days Without Light) are definitely worth checking out as well. Both of them can be found on YouTube.

zerotol

Banned
I just watched 'ATM' streaming on Netflix. It was alright I guess. Three people get trapped in a glass enclosed ATM booth in the night and are terrorized by some guy outside. Of course they make all the stupid mistakes as usual in a horror/thriller. It wasn't great, but it was worth watching.

flippedb

Banned
Since I found this thread (last week lol) I've watched

• Grave Encounters: meh, not even scarry.
  • Shutter: a few jump scares, but I thought it was quite silly. The accent was way too distracting.
  • [REC]:Quarantine really spoiled everything for me. I also felt acting was a bit off at times.
  • Noroi: definitely my favorite one. Really liked it.

I watched all of them (except for REC, which I saw with my brother on the living room) alone in the dark, in front of my laptop with headphones on.

Maybe tomorrow I'll watch Martyrs, hope it's good!

Melchiah

• [REC]:Quarantine really spoiled everything for me. I also felt acting was a bit off at times.
Too bad you spoiled the original for yourself by watching the remake first, which isn't even as good as the original. I personally hated how they changed
demonic possession into rabies spread by terrorists
, which was a laughable idea, and it pretty much ruined the remake. Always watch the original first.

T.O.P

Banned
  • Noroi: definitely my favorite one. Really liked it.

spread the love for this movie guys :D

From the same director

"Occult" a.k.a. The Unidentified
12.jpg

and i'm pretty sure you would enjoy "Marebito" too
Marebito_poster.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just watched 'ATM' streaming on Netflix. It was alright I guess. Three people get trapped in a glass enclosed ATM booth in the night and are terrorized by some guy outside. Of course they make all the stupid mistakes as usual in a horror/thriller. It wasn't great, but it was worth watching.
Hey, that sounds good. I love movies that take place all in one place.

Penny Dreadful and Wind chill were good times.

jgmo870

Banned
I just finished the first season of American Horror Story and was pretty disappointed with how that turned out. But the pilot was great. Any other shows/movies like AHS's pilot?

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
Really? Sweet! Thanks brother

Sister, lols and you're quite welcome! I think it's a really good movie. Starts out a bit slow but it really picks up as it goes on.

Fuuuu, I lied. I'm SO sorry. I was thinking of a different movie. But I swear I've seen it on Netflix.. Maybe my memory is just shot. :c

Sister, lols and you're quite welcome! I think it's a really good movie. Starts out a bit slow but it really picks up as it goes on.

i checked netflix and it doesn't look like its streaming anymore. Drats :(

i did check out the devils rock on netflix. it is about the devil and some nazi's. not that great though but i've seen worse

Fuuuu, I lied. I'm SO sorry. I was thinking of a different movie. But I swear I've seen it on Netflix.. Maybe my memory is just shot. :c

its all good. i'll find the movie somewhere! its on amazon for sale but i dont think it would work on the ps3 (region locked)

Mother_Sanchez

Neo Member
i checked netflix and it doesn't look like its streaming anymore. Drats :(

i did check out the devils rock on netflix. it is about the devil and some nazi's. not that great though but i've seen worse

its all good. i'll find the movie somewhere! its on amazon for sale but i dont think it would work on the ps3 (region locked)

Well that sounds.. Interesting. Haha. Another good one I've watched recently was Muoi: the Legend of a Portrait. Weird enough to keep my interest.

I watched all of them (except for REC, which I saw with my brother on the living room) alone in the dark, in front of my laptop with headphones on.

Maybe tomorrow I'll watch Martyrs, hope it's good!

Watch REC 2. I thought it was better than the first. Watch 3 if you want something a bit more... different from the first two.

Hilbert

Anyone here a fan of Brian Evenson?
I really love his book, The Father of Lies. But his short stories are also excellent. Dark Property is a surreal masterpiece. Anyone have any recommendation for more overlooked authors or books? I have been reading horror so long it is getting really difficult finding new stuff. Under a pseudonym he wrote the novelizations of dead space. I never read them, but they do interest me for that reason alone.

Horseticuffs

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: The Haunting in Georgia
I get where they are coming from, but that is fucking silly. I'm not hating, you see. Just sayin'.

Was haunting in Connecticut such a blockbuster that pretty much the exact same crowd that would go see IT wouldn't go see a movie called "A haunting in Georgia" to begin with?

All they are doing is appealing to the huge demographic of people who will pay to see anything with "Connecticut" in the title.

Ravager61

I get where they are coming from, but that is fucking silly. I'm not hating, you see. Just sayin'.

Was haunting in Connecticut such a blockbuster that pretty much the exact same crowd that would go see IT wouldn't go see a movie called "A haunting in Georgia" to begin with?

All they are doing is appealing to the huge demographic of people who will pay to see anything with "Connecticut" in the title.

I'll hate on it. That title is fucking stupid.

Dascu

Any recommendations for horror novels that are not:
A) Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, Joe Hill, Dean Koontz, Peter Straub (already read most of their works)
B) Short-story collections
C) About vampires, zombies and werewolves

Something with a historical setting would be nice by the way.

Yea Silent Night was fun as hell. It is not a remake in anyway either.

Bored me sadly.

Tex117

Banned
I am not a horror guy at all. Not now, not ever.

That said, Im fascinated by people who are fascinated by it.

Anyway, here is another one I've heard of that is pretty sick from what I understand.

Slaughtered Vomit Dolls

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
A) Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, Joe Hill, Dean Koontz, Peter Straub (already read most of their works)

Well, there's obviously Poe, but like Lovecraft he worked mainly in the short-story format. He only wrote two full-fledged novels, and neither of them are horror stories.

Hilbert

I am not a horror guy at all. Not now, not ever.

That said, Im fascinated by people who are fascinated by it.

Anyway, here is another one I've heard of that is pretty sick from what I understand.

Slaughtered Vomit Dolls

I have seen it, and the two sequels. I don't really...regret watching them. But there isn't much there. Lots of vomit and gore. And nudity.

Hilbert

Historical setting, you could try some of the novels of Dan Simmons(yes, I think he also wrote the Hyperion books). He wrote quite a few horror novels with a historical bent.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G60FTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also if I could post the link, I had tried to create a horror OT a while back, and listed a bunch of authors and books, maybe look through the list and see if something catches your eye? I don't really want to just copy the list here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42037536&postcount=1

Dascu

Historical setting, you could try some of the novels of Dan Simmons(yes, I think he also wrote the Hyperion books). He wrote quite a few horror novels with a historical bent.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G60FTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also if I could post the link, I had tried to create a horror OT a while back, and listed a bunch of authors and books, maybe look through the list and see if something catches your eye? I don't really want to just copy the list here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42037536&postcount=1

Yeah I loved The Terror. Looking for something similar.

Hilbert

No, I haven't. The List of Seven sounds interesting.

List of seven had a good sequel too. Don't remember the name of it.

Edit: looking through amazon, I think the sequel is The Six Messiahs.

Double edit:
I know I said earlier not to stress if something is horror or not, but it might not quite be horror, but I really really love the novel The Name of the Rose.

flippedb

Banned
Martyrs is a fucking horrifying film. Disturbing. I really wanted to stop watching at times.

The end kinda sucked, though. But what a great movie.

Any horror movies in German that you know of?

CREMSteve

No one has mentioned this one yet, 2005's Venom is surprisingly good.

Also, 2007's Inside (French: À l'intérieur) is really good too.

Manus

Is Grave Encounters 2 worth watching if I liked the first one? The thing on the cover of the poster just looks stupid.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
spread the love for this movie guys :D

From the same director

"Occult" a.k.a. The Unidentified
12.jpg
Occult is pretty awesome. The only negative to it is the ending is a little cheesy due to special effects but its a horror classic, imo. The mountain trek is so good.

and i'm pretty sure you would enjoy "Marebito" too
Marebito_poster.jpg
Havent seen this yet. Looking forward to it.

i watched halloween 3 for the first time in a while tonight and i don't know why it doesn't get more recognition. well thats not true, i suppose a lot of people dismiss it because it's "halloween" with no michael myers, but if you just take the movie for what it is it's excellent!

first off, the movie is well acted for a horror movie. the characters don't do too much dumb shit. secondly, the movie didn't pull many punches in regards to the violence. decapitations, nasty looking skull fracturing, kids getting killed, etc. third, the premise was actually pretty interesting. sure there was a villain but it wasn't a slasher flick and i thought it was just a well executed idea. finally, it had a satisfying ending in my opinion.

if you haven't seen it before, definitely check it out. i wish halloween had went this route with a kind of self contained unique story with every new movie. oh well :(

Horseticuffs

i watched halloween 3 for the first time in a while tonight and i don't know why it doesn't get more recognition. well thats not true, i suppose a lot of people dismiss it because it's "halloween" with no michael myers, but if you just take the movie for what it is it's excellent!

first off, the movie is well acted for a horror movie. the characters don't do too much dumb shit. secondly, the movie didn't pull many punches in regards to the violence. decapitations, nasty looking skull fracturing, kids getting killed, etc. third, the premise was actually pretty interesting. sure there was a villain but it wasn't a slasher flick and i thought it was just a well executed idea. finally, it had a satisfying ending in my opinion.

if you haven't seen it before, definitely check it out. i wish halloween had went this route with a kind of self contained unique story with every new movie. oh well :(

Avatar aside, it's my second favorite after 1. I really think Carpenter's vision for the franchise was the right one.

Really sad 3 bombed. I was telling my kids about it last weekend while watching the Silver Shamrock commercial on YouTube.

strafer

Watched Poltergeist for the first time. Great movie. A classic.

Sad stuff about Dominique Dunne that got strangled to death by her boyfriend.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pontypool was a huge disappointment. Great atmosphere but then Dr. expositron shows up and ruins it with shit acting and SUDDENLY really bad dialog. at first the dialog was so bad I thought it might be related to the disease.

Top Bottom