• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can my wages be garnished if I don't pay back my student loans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Sounds like the perfect solution to your problem is to join the Peace Corps. You get your student loans deferred while you're in it, and if you decide you want to leave the country to avoid the loans......well, free plane ticket to Africa.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
perryfarrell said:
Hmm, when threads reach this conspiratorial level of 'people who look bad off actually have it better than you,' I know it's time to raise eyebrows.

What in God's name moves you to say things like that? Is it to relieve any guilt towards people who are worse off than you? It baffles the mind.

No, not in the least bit. There are legitimate homeless people and then there are people who actually do either work it on the side or do it full time.

Ancedotal evidence... there are 3 girls who place themselves once a week at the corner of the Target that my fiancee works at. This is a great spot because it is surrounded by 2 heavily traveled shopping areas and is off one of the exits without being ON the exit (meaning people have more of a chance to look at your sign than just breeze passed it). They always have a sign that says they are hungry, need money, etc.

I've seen these girls over the course of two years doing this. A couple weeks ago, we were in the mall looking for dress styles that we wanted to try to find in the thirft stores that we shop when we saw one of the girls who panhandles. She was shopping in American Eagle. And she didn't look hungry or haggard whatsoever.

When I approached her and asked her if she was one of the girls that panhandled, she got kind of scard at first but then vehemently denied it. But the initial look in her eye told me everything I needed to know. I haven't seen those girls there since that incident. Ancedotal evidence but... *shrugs* ... this is the internet so take it for what you will.

perryfarrell said:
Hmm, when threads reach this conspiratorial level of 'people who look bad off actually have it better than you,' I know it's time to raise eyebrows.

What in God's name moves you to say things like that? Is it to relieve any guilt towards people who are worse off than you? It baffles the mind.

Uh, why do you think it isn't the case?

A friend of mine did a sociological research paper on the homeless and actually went as a bum and panhandled/begged for five days. He made somewhere around $150 a day by begging on the corner of city downtown. He was pretty surprised at what happened, as he expected to get very little.

The Experiment said:
Uh, why do you think it isn't the case?

A friend of mine did a sociological research paper on the homeless and actually went as a bum and panhandled/begged for five days. He made somewhere around $150 a day by begging on the corner of city downtown. He was pretty surprised at what happened, as he expected to get very little.

A friend of mine did a similar paper for the same reason and came to the same results. People who think this is a myth are simply deluding themselves; there are legitimate poor people but there are a lot of people who simply leech off of good people whenever they realize it can be done.

perryfarrell said:

You really need to research the topic before you comment on it. Nobody is saying legitimate bums have it better off. Reading Comprehension > You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom