• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which current generation game holds the best graphics title?

Chiggs

It's definitely one of the following:

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Forza Horizon 3 (PC, max)
Doom (PC, max)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC, max)
The Witcher 3 (PC, max)

I now they're not the most technically impressive graphics, but no game impressed me as much as Forza Horizon 3. It's absolutely gorgeous and they absolutely nailed everything.

Paper Mario: Color Splash nails the papercraft look in a way that's appreciably different to tearaway. The lighting gives it a more grounded look:

lPmd6Zw.jpg

Personally found Abzu to be one of the most visually striking games I've played for a while. The amount of wildlife on screen at once and the colours was pretty extradonary. To see that in 4k HDR would blow my head off.

Tonky

As weird as it sounds, I honestly believe Ryse is the pinnacle of graphics this generation. It's technically astounding in every sense: lighting, animation, physics etc. It's just a hair above The Order 1886 for me, and the absolute closest I've seen a game get to CGI.

ryse_smoke.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As weird as it sounds, I honestly believe Ryse is the pinnacle of graphics this generation. It's technically astounding in every sense: lighting, animation, physics etc. It's just a hair above The Order 1886 for me, and the absolute closest I've seen a game get to CGI.

ryse_smoke.gif

It's weird, I actually thought the gameplay of Ryse was really underrated and the graphics were overrated - the exact opposite to most people. I bought it because I wanted something to push my new (at the time) 970, but wasn't that impressed, game was so fun though. Still very pretty.

firelogic

I'm going with Uncharted 4 over The Order 1886. The art assets are superior as well as the absolutely bonkers facial animations.

Uncharted 4. There were moments were I literally didn't know how it was possible for a game to look so good.

Recently Battlefield 1 has impressed me a lot.

I remember that Star Wars Battlefront "Real Life Mod" on PC looking insane (4K too), so I'd say that game or maybe Battlefield 1 now (I wonder if there is a real life mod for that too)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Uncharted, Order, Ratchet.

(Very) Honorable mention to Forza Horizon 3.

I think people taking Uncharted 4 screenshots should take some from Libertalia as the tech is shown best there IMO (especially when you're on top of that watch tower and you can see all around you -- it looks beautifully jaw dropping).

DevilDog

Uncharted 4 looks good on photos, but the uncanny valley effect is too strong in game.
Being the most advanced is definently a drawback right now, I'd rather look at overwatch than Uncharted 4.

If you have the horsepower, Quantum Break on PC without upscaling is absolutely stunning. The Division maxed out is amazing as well. I recently splurged on a high-end card and those were the two most striking games when I maxed them out.

I'd be more inclined to give it to The Order 1886 if it wasn't so insanely scripted and compartmented in order to make it look as it good as it does.

Uncharted 4 looks like 90% as good as The Order but has open environments and offers the player much more freedom in how they go about navigating those environments.

n0razi

Gotta go with Battlefront maxed out on PC
ogimage.img.jpg

If we are talking consoles, The Order still holds it for me.... its like a slightly more interactive version of Kingsglaive lol
theorder_01.jpg

Space_nut

I don't think Forza Horizon 3 is graphically impressive. It's beautiful, yes! But from a technical standpoint? Not really. It plays nice though. The best racing game this gen.

FH 3 has some of the best looking environments texture and geometry wise. Also it has the best looking sky in a game with all real time global illumination which a handful of games have. Also uses Sea of Thieves water tech which is simply the most beautiful rendered water to date imo. All this with 1080p rock solid 30fps and 4xMSAA too. Yea it's technically impressive. Bring on the snow expansion coming soon :)

Top Bottom