• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect Andromeda is about Colonialism

Mindlog

I'm all down for space Heart of Darkness. Whether or not Bioware can accurately reflect that through writing is another thing entirely.
Woah, woah, woah. We need to slow our roll here. Less Heart of Darkness and more Wagons East.
Py1zGoO.jpg

TheXbox

Bit of a foregone conclusion, but it could definitely lend itself to some classic ME morale dilemmas. Do I put humanity's interest first, at the risk of pissing off some aliens? Or do I opt for the peaceful alternative, at the expense of our own well-being?

Hopefully we get some more shades of grey with these. For once I'd like to see the obvious goody two-shoes option lead to some damaging consequence, and vice versa.

timmyp53

Me and my brother were discussing this and features we basically thought would be in the game.

I was teasing him about putting so much time into FO4 settlement system and then I thought about Andromeda and how would probably have the same ish but worse.

Predicting how it would have colonizing with the major colonies having some loose plot and story(voice acting) and the smaller colonies almost being like a meta game for resources etc.

Also if they're going to relate it to a modern thing it won't be colonialism, it will be like refugee stuff. We're trying to coexist in this new galaxy but Space Trump won't let us in because of something or other and we have to fight their evil empire for the existence of our species with the help of some nice local species that are friendly with us.

It would take a pretty severe lack of self awareness if the good guys as portrayed by the game were literally just entering a galaxy and conquering defenceless low tech natives.

A-V-B

Also if they're going to relate it to a modern thing it won't be colonialism, it will be like refugee stuff. We're trying to coexist in this new galaxy but Space Trump won't let us in because of something or other and we have to fight their evil empire for the existence of our species with the help of some nice local species that are friendly with us.

It would take a pretty severe lack of self awareness if the good guys as portrayed by the game were literally just entering a galaxy and conquering defenceless low tech natives.

As long as they don't give Space Hitler a toothbrush mustache made out of their own tentacles/fins, I'm down hehe

timmyp53

mnulies_nonhuman_poster_S.jpg

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah.. I remember how it started with original trilogy.
I was from colony, had strong distrust on earth and the earth centered assholes..
Then in final game I had to save the bastards against my better judgment..

I really hope this is not the case in Andromeda.
Hoping for more procedural approach on storytelling and how choices affect the game. (Perhaps even choices that happen during gameplay.)

Kuldar

Meh, maybe they can do something good with this but seeing how ME2 and ME3 were handled, I think it will just be full of "Humanity fuck yeah!".

StereoVsn

I wonder if it will take place in space Africa, space Vietnam or space Dubai.

Its Space China. Humans are going to be the British and will bring Opium equivalent to unsuspecting aliens. Fits pretty well with other races as they can be all the various nations during Opium Wars.

patapuf

"Liberating" local species has just as many pitfalls as straight up conquest imo. And i hope that bioware for once shows a bit of nuance in their political setup. In fact, there is no way to colonize something wihtout moraly questionable things happening, which is why it's actually a pretty great setting for a series that prides itself on choices. It would be a good opportunity to finally drop Paragon/renegade in favour of a faction based system or no persistant "morality" meter at all.

But that's a pipedream. We'll get a "customisable town", "rescource gathering", "side quests to help locals so they come live with you", maybe some ancient religious artefacts and a big baddie to tie a bow on the story. In the epilogue they show you populating the planet with all the happy children you had with your great love.

KeRaSh

Are they sure we're not supposed to feel like a villain? :p

Makes us feel like the villain. The aliens are the aboriginals and we're playing as the white man.

My first reaction was that it sounds like Humans are basically barging in and claiming alien lands by force. That sounds awfully familiar. I hope they tackle it a different way.
We're the aliens and we want to live on their planets. With the refugee situation here in Europe it would be very interesting to have the tables turned.

edit: Guess I was too slow.

Are we going to find that the natives wear Eezo jewellery?

I doubt it's really about colonialism, it's way too hard to make heroes out of Shepherd's conquistadors.

I expect it'll be a theme for one planet. Some humans are abusing the natives to get too their Eezo and your team get to either supress or join the natives' rebellion. Avatar, basically.

Whatever the game's premise may be, I think I might be cautiously optimistic about it. I'm hungry for some character-driven space exploration.

What if I dont give a shit about humanity but all the other aliens?

Doesn't matter. You'll still have to choose between 3 colours.

ZiZ

I hope we can choose to be space colonials, or space refugees.

Please make the choices matter this time. Not like first trilogy.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

That helmet render feels like even more of a 'throwback' than the ME3 stuff with a full EVA aspect to it.

I miss the hardsuits from ME1, even if they were kind of bland in terms of 'uniqueness'.

Also a bit querulous on how they plan to make us the 'good guys' in a colonial 'ours now' setting. I'm guessing some of that will be Reaper fear, but I dunno. Bioware typically doesn't play the 'bad guy' well without going over the top far too often.

Zojirushi

Well now my biggest fear is that planets will essentially be outposts and then the Galaxy will gradually open up unlocking more useless side stuff and welcome to Ubisoft's The Mass Effect Experience.

That Avatar and Warhammer hybrid fan fiction speech of colonialism exceptionalism or whatever it is reminds me of the Sarif Industries ending of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

"Sarif was right about one thing. It's in our nature to want to rise above our limits.

Think about it: we were cold so we harnessed fire; we were weak so we invented tools. Every time we met an obstacle we used creativity and ingenuity to overcome it. The cycle is inevitable... but will the outcome always be good? I guess that will depend on how we approach it.

These past few months I was challenged many times, but more often than not didn't I try to keep morality in mind, knowing that my actions didn't have to harm others. Time and time again, didn't I resist the urge to abuse power and resources simply to achieve my goals more swiftly? In the past we've had to compensate for weaknesses, finding quick solutions that only benefit a few. But what if we never need to feel weak or morally conflicted again? What if the path Sarif wants us to take enables us to hold on to higher values with more stability?

One thing is obvious for the first time in history we have a chance to steal fire from the gods. To turn away from it now - to stop pursuing a future in which technology in which technology and biology combine leading to the promise of a singularity - would mean to deny the very essence of who we are. No doubt the road to get there will be bumpy, hurting some people along the way. But won't achieving the dream be worth it? We can become the gods we've always been striving to be.

We might as well get good at it."

TBiddy

I'll be a sad, sad panda, if they decide to go all-out massive-open-world-rpg-TW3-style-combined-with-settlements-FO4-style.

Just give me a game with the same formula as ME2, goddammit. I don't need your massive open-world with 200 hours of gameplay.

Kuraudo

Banned
Not surprising after the previous survey: it mentioned the ship's name is The Tempest and that the crew uses of arcane knowledge to repress indigenous races.

DSix

Banned
Bioware does not have the ability to pull this off in any subtle manner. This is gonna be cringy as fuck.

Sounds daring. I like it! Hope they can pull it off. Really interested if they go the distance to include stuff from both ends like coexisting, being assimilated to straight genocide.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does this mean we essentially get to play as a space-conquistador?

awesome_to_the_max.gif

mosdl

I'll be a sad, sad panda, if they decide to go all-out massive-open-world-rpg-TW3-style-combined-with-settlements-FO4-style.

Just give me a game with the same formula as ME2, goddammit. I don't need your massive open-world with 200 hours of gameplay.

They were moving away from that in the DA:I DLCs, I think they learned their lesson.

Peltz

Man, that render on the first page... Say what you will about BioWare and this series, no one can deny that they nail that sci-fi art style.

Fbh

Sounds good but I hope it doesn't just end up with the majority of the content like DAI where you go to a planet and check a bunch of boxes on a wide open map.

You just described my biggest fear with this game and the reason why I can't get hyped.

Im afraid it's going to be a bunch of big open areas filled with checklist style quests like gathering resources, setting up camps and taking down enemy camps/towers.

I enjoyed DA:I way more than most people on Gaf. But the way that game was is not what I want for Mass Effect

Top Bottom