• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect Andromeda is about Colonialism

If I can be an evil colonialist can Bioware please add a mission where like a cute little native child runs up to share a toy with us as a sign of peace and we twirl our evil mustache and press the trigger at the right moment so our character says

"mmmmmyeeeeeeees this will fetch a pretty penny in my CAPITALISM"

They've been good with making hilarious bad choices, hopefully they continue.

I don't quite get it.

It's supposed to be at around the same timeline as Shepard trilogy, right? How can the human race make colonies if their place at the whole universe community is still seen as 'the new kid'. Human barely have power on the senate, and their military power is not the top notch as well.

Serviam

As long as the story is grat and the gameplay is solid. If it turns out to be another DA3, it will be a massive disappointment imo. So tired of filler open world with no direction.

Banned
IhfC5Me.jpg

Renegade points all over my body
Savage.

I don't quite get it.

It's supposed to be at around the same timeline as Shepard trilogy, right? How can the human race make colonies if their place at the whole universe community is still seen as 'the new kid'. Human barely have power on the senate, and their military power is not the top notch as well.

Pretty sure this takes place hundreds of years after.

This is so overly savage, lmao

I don't recall that speech being in the film though.

It wasn't, its basically a Warhammer 40k idea/story copied into an Avatar pic.

Andromeda sounds interesting, but its gotta be tough straddling that line between being too politically correct or being straight up glorifying humanity's past atrocities. A really good writing team should be able to pull off a nice "we were the bad guys all along!" idea which is probably what they are going for, but a mediocre team would make it cringe fodder.

Anyways one of my favorite game series ever so I'll be there at launch no matter what.

A-V-B

And then the Starchild will show up out of nowhere and proclaim that humans will always destroy native life, and that we can never get along, so let's destroy the natives now and get ahead of the curve.

Pretty sure this takes place hundreds of years after.

haven't they said over and over again that it takes place around the same time but light years away as you were a part of a recon team sent out to look for a new home for humans around the time the reapers attacked? So essentially they avoid having to choose an ending of ME3 as canon, but still avoid any major relevance from the other games as it's a galaxy far far away?

haven't they said over and over again that it takes place around the same time but light years away as you were a part of a recon team sent out to look for a new home for humans around the time the reapers attacked? So essentially they avoid having to choose an ending of ME3 as canon, but still avoid any major relevance from the other games as it's a galaxy far far away?

That's what I remember as well, unless there was an update that I'm missing.

Mivey

The Andromeda Galaxy is about 2.5 million light years away. With the ME3 ending destroying all relays, that either means that they found a supercharged form of FTL that can do millions of light years in a few years, (which would mean they could also go back to Earth any time they felt like it) or they found some magic teleportation. I go with the latter. More convenient. They can always pull the supercharged FTL out of their ass for some sequels when they need some contact with our galaxy.

A-V-B

Wouldn't time basically become irrelevant thanks to relativity?

The Andromeda Galaxy is about 2.5 million light years away. With the ME3 ending destroying all relays, that either means that they found a supercharged form of FTL that can do millions of light years in a few years, (which would mean they could also go back to Earth any time they felt like it) or they found some magic teleportation. I go with the latter. More convenient. They can always pull the supercharged FTL out of their ass for some sequels when they need some contact with our galaxy.

which is all the more hilarious if they go there, find a new home for humanity and then can't go back.

Then the game ends with the curb your enthusiasm song.

Wouldn't time basically become irrelevant thanks to relativity?

In a game with magic teleportation devices let's not go that deep into what he posted lmao.

A-V-B

which is all the more hilarious if they go there, find a new home for humanity and then can't go back.

Then the game ends with the curb your enthusiasm song.

Literally every single world is barren, and the only lifeforms have adapted to live on asteroids.

DUN DUN DUN deedee deedee deedeeeee

Ralemont

not me

The leaked survey said it'll take place "far removed by time and space" from the ME trilogy. As far as I know they've never said it'll be around the same time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So we will be the military invaders "heroically" liberating planets from their indigenous populations? And I assume we will be doing this through the business end of a gun?

What in the actual fuck. I like Mass Effect but this is some messed up shit.

A-V-B

So we will be the military invaders "heroically" liberating planets from their indigenous populations? And I assume we will be doing this through the business end of a gun?

What in the actual fuck. I like Mass Effect but this is some messed up shit.

Of course not.

The real question is how maturely will the conflict be handled?

Will the "colonials" be treated like Cerberus from ME2?

or Cerberus from ME3?

Mindlog

Called it.

This was actually one of the better underserved themes from Mass Effect 1.
Time to go back to our Batarian hating roots.
You guys not picking humanity will be put on the list
The airlock is their only path to redemption.

Although technically there is a whole panoply of races on our side. Going to take a while to recalibrate the xenophobic rhetoric. Milky Way needs some sort of easily shouted slogan.

Any chance they wanted to be a little more obvious with the title and call it Mass Effect: Destiny?

This is an obvious candidate for future fan art adaptation. Just need to throw in some Krogan, Turian, and Batarian friends.

SSPssp

I'm assuming humans are colonizing uninhabited worlds and the indigenous race(s) simply don't want humanity anywhere in the galaxy. Otherwise the whole story would probably be all out war.

Taelus

The relays are only destroyed in one of the endings, and in the extended cut it's stated they can be rebuilt.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Someone refresh my mind, weren't Cerberus in ME2 like just really pro-human but like morally grey, and then in ME3 they went full Nazi?

In 1 they were a misanthropic rogue black ops organization, in 2 they were morally greyer shadow organization that was humanity first and still dickbags and in 3 they were a racist intragalatic space army, some how, and definitely gigantic douches.

The relays are only destroyed in one of the endings, and in the extended cut it's stated they can be rebuilt.

"the relays were destroyed effectively keeping all aliens around Earth"

*patch*

"The relays were destroyed effectively keeping all aliens around Earth, but then somebody plugged them back in so it was ok actually they can get back home"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That sounds...politically...messy. Colonialism as a topic is fertile ground, but fighting for a new home in hostile territory against indigenous species...there's no way in hell I trust BioWare to pull that off, short of a "you were the villains all along" total commitment to "colonialism is bad mmk"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Of course not.

The real question is how maturely will the conflict be handled?

Will the "colonials" be treated like Cerberus from ME2?

or Cerberus from ME3?

Maturity? With political situations? In Mass Effect?

I just want to be a Krogan Vanguard, Bioware. Don't screw this up.

...That said, those questions are making me worry.
Someone refresh my mind, weren't Cerberus in ME2 like just really pro-human but like morally grey, and then in ME3 they went full Nazi?

They were radically pro-human--human supremacists, basically. Not a group any sane person would associate with. But yanno, Shepard is anything but.

A-V-B

That sounds...politically...messy. Colonialism as a topic is fertile ground, but fighting for a new home in hostile territory against indigenous species...there's no way in hell I trust BioWare to pull that off, short of a "you were the villains all along" total commitment to "colonialism is bad mmk"

I think the story could be good if everyone from the Milky Way is actually in a much shittier position than the indigenous lifeforms. Like, if they don't find a place to settle, they're truly going to run out of resources, and everyone's going to die. Coupling that with the idea that maybe everyone back home lost and you're all that's left...

It could be a really, really interesting conflict where both sides are right to some extent, and it's a matter of bringing everyone together before someone else tears you all apart.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Expected something like this since the story concept was announced. Humans are at the bottom of the totem pole again, it seems.

A-V-B

It is from a Avatar Warhammer 40k crossover fan fiction, according to reddit.

One of the most awesome ideas I ever heard for a crossover was Gurren Lagann and Warhammer 40k. Two polar opposites, slamming into each other. It'd either be a total trainwreck or a glorious mess.

I have no faith that Bioware's writing team will play this out in a way other than one my five year old niece could come up with.

A-V-B

Maturity? With political situations? In Mass Effect?

Nah, not the politics. The characters.

I liked Cerberus in ME2 the same way I like Magneto and his buddies when they're written well. They're the bad guys in the story, right? But they're interesting people.

Trigger

I think that this is an interesting setup, but like Inquisition they're going to squander it with poor writing and some weird black and white moral system.

Top Bottom