• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Turns 30 This Thursday

Pesmerga00

It had a bumpy start, but some damn fine episodes throughout. I really wish they would continue the time line. They just keep rebooting. Prequels one after another, can we please move on.

Not

Banned
The Next Generation was a big part of my life growing up. Was one of the only shows I was allowed to watch that wasn't a safe of religious program. Which is kinds funny. Picard was my role model.

Yeah, it's odd my family was so into a show where they glorify secularism and reason.

The We Hate Movies guys started a podcast a while back called The Nexus where they go through one TOS and one TNG episode each. If you're familiar with WHM, I don't have to tell you it's amazing. You can only get it by supporting them on Patreon, though.

RangerX

Banned
Still my favourite Star Trek show. It was just such a great cast of characters with the greatest captain in any media , ever.

tootie923

Earl Grey Tea sucks!

tumblr_lvt63munZQ1qf4elio1_250.gif

Shiv47

I was in college when part one of "Best of Both Worlds" aired, and was blown away. Part two aired that next fall, and I was in England on a study abroad program. One of the first things I did after getting back near Christmas was to watch the videotape of the second part that I made sure my parents recorded. I also remember it airing at 10:30 on Saturday nights, I believe, when it started in syndication where I was.

Volimar

Before the hate train starts, I actually liked Wesley. As a smart kid it was pretty neat that the smart kid got to be friends with the android and fly the ship. It's a real shame that the writers didn't know what to do with him.

Robin Lefler <3

Thanks for making me feel old.

Aside from that, I'm eight episodes into TNG S2 as part my full rewatch of all ST shows, which I occasionally update on in the general Star Trek community thread (yeah, we have one of those).

But, the one thing that does genuinely bother me in the transfer from TOS and TAS to TNG is the change from minorities just being minorities to being specifically othered to the point of being fetishised. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's basically the black cyborg trope: the notion that someone who is essentially already treated as an other, has to be visually made into another kind of other in order to be sold as such. It's a symptom of the time it was made in though, not a specific judgment on the show. But it does decrease my enjoyment of it now that we are a long time away from the 90s and realize all that racial othering is really cringeworthy. Also, the complete lack of asian (asian-american that is) actors feels weird after watching TOS.

On the bright side, having to immediately compensate for this rather embarrassing outcome of the 80s did give us Sisko in DS9.

Wesley wasn't that bad, it was a cheesier time in the show in general.

The weird part for me was when he just kind of wandered off the show to go explore other planes of existence with The Traveler, Dr. Crusher barely seems bothered for it, then he randomly shows up at the wedding in a Starfleet uniform in the Nemesis movie. OK?

Before the hate train starts, I actually liked Wesley. As a smart kid it was pretty neat that the smart kid got to be friends with the android and fly the ship. It's a real shame that the writers didn't know what to do with him.

Robin Lefler <3

It's interesting they went straight into another series with a kid after not knowing how to handle Wesley. Jake had a regular companion though, and he didn't want to join Starfleet so that was slightly more interesting at least.

Wesley wasn't that bad, it was a cheesier time in the show in general.

The weird part for me was when he just kind of wandered off the show to go explore other planes of existence with The Traveler, Dr. Crusher barely seems bothered for it, then he randomly shows up at the wedding in a Starfleet uniform in the Nemesis movie. OK?

He wasn’t dead. Was she supposed to fall apart?

aceface

I've been listening to The Greatest Generation, a podcast by two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast: http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

They're almost done with the series too.

The Greatest Generation is great, it's a highlight of my Monday and Wednesday every week. And they're not in the pocket of Big Rod like Mission log!

Also yes, the HD eps are on Netflix and Amazon prime.

Wigdogger

Are the remastered episodes that were released on blu ray the ones that are available to watch on Netflix?

As far as I can tell, yes, they are HD transfers. I think they are the Blu Ray versions, but not having referenced the Blu Rays, I can't be sure.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Greatest Generation is great, it's a highlight of my Monday and Wednesday every week. And they're not in the pocket of Big Rod like Mission log!

Also yes, the HD eps are on Netflix and Amazon prime.
Great, might check out that podcast and do a TNG rewatch. I feel like I've seen a lot of episodes from when they used to be shown in the evenings on BBC 2, but have never done a full watch of every episode before.

"Oh, my son has departed this plane of existence with a mysterious stranger. Ok."

They don't even show her being informed of it. The episode just ended with Wesley and the Traveler walking off.

No it didn’t. The last scene is Wesley, Beverly and Picard in the transporter room. Beverly grabs him and almost sheds a tear but pulls it together “Dress warmly on those other planes of existence.” After Wes beams down to the planet Picard walks out and she stares at the transporter pad before leaving herself. Seems appropriate.

Beverly knew the traveler was trustworthy. He helped save her from her bubble reality.

What about Keiko and Nurse Ogawa?

I am only at S2 with the rewatch. Keiko is introduced in like, S5 or something? I don't recall her being a significant character at all until DS9.

It haven't rewatched the full show since they were broadcast in 90s though, so I might have to change my opinion when I get to that point.

I am only at S2 with the rewatch. Keiko is introduced in like, S5 or something? I don't recall her being a significant character at all until DS9.

It haven't rewatched the full show since they were broadcast in 90s though, so I might have to change my opinion when I get to that point.

She's introduced in S4 "Data's Day"

Top Bottom