• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars - Review Thread !

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Man I was on the fence about this game it looks so charming and welcoming for portable gaming sessions and now I see it’s reviewing very well!

I might as well become Australian because it looks like I’m going to toss another shrimp on the barby 🫣

Wow that was bad lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game looks amazing, I skipped the demo because I wanted to go into the full game blind. Glad to see it's getting good reviews!

Self published by the developers Sabotage Studio
Beastie Boys 90S GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Fbh

Nice, have been eagerly anticipating this ever since it got announced. Glad to hear it apparently lives up to the hype.

Any word on length? Wouldn’t complain about 20-25 hours, but wouldn’t mind more. Paper Mario is 20 hours, and one of my all-time favorites. So I wouldn’t complain either way!

A couple of reviews I've read mention 30 hours

its amazing that both xbox and PS users can essentially play this game almost for free.....i woulda paid full price for this

Yeah at first I worried that them going with both ps+extra and gamepass was a sign that they weren't confident in the game.
But honestly in this year and launching close to stuff like Baldur's Gate, Starfield and Armored Core I can actually see an indie retro inspired RPG getting lost in the mix. So I can understand why they went with the safe option.

Thief1987

Lol while Opencritic listing 21 reviews so far, only 5 are from so called "top critic", so the current score is just an average of 5 reviews - two 10, two 9 and 9.5.

Last edited:
Lol while Opencritic listing 21 reviews so far, only 5 are from so called "top critic", so the current score is just an average of 5 reviews - two 10, two 9 and 9.5.
And what is your point here? I don't even know what determines a "top critic" according to their standards. Regardless, the game is highly praised. Are you going to be saying the same then regarding future releases? 21 reviews is 21 reviews, top critics or not. The fact is, this game scored high. There is no arguing in here. Sorry, but I am confused by what you are trying to point out here.

Last edited:

TexMex

Looking forward to trying this but I can't help but to think back to the critical reception of The Messenger and how far divorced my thoughts were to the critical reception. /Debbie Downer

I was the opposite. Ignored the messenger until a few years later and it blew me away. Only thing I thought was oversold about it was the “twist” which the reviews made out to be some earth shattering thing but really isn’t that big of a deal at all.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I know they're completely different games, but it sure seems like this dropping on Game Pass within the same week of Starfield could cause it to fall off of a lot of people's radars.

Hopefully it gets the eyes on it that it deserves.

Last edited:
I know they're completely different games, but it sure seems like this dropping on Game Pass within the same week of Starfield could cause it to fall off of a lot of people's radars.

Hopefully it gets the eyes on it that it deserves.
or you could just purchase it for $34.99 because the devs deserve it and play it later.

Roxkis_ii

Man, I haven't even bought Armor Core yet and we have this banger out of left field.

Sabotage Studio is sabotaging my gaming life. Diablo 4 friends go be a little satly when I get ghost with Sea of Stars. Hopefully Starfield and Armor Core are on sale by time I get to them 😭

Gamers out here eating damn good this year!

Yoshi97

I didn't know the rating was just for top critics on open critic. And looking at some of these 'top critics'.. not sure how they are decided lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
Man, I haven't even bought Armor Core yet and we have this banger out of left field.

Sabotage Studio is sabotaging my gaming life. Diablo 4 friends go be a little satly when I get ghost with Sea of Stars. Hopefully Starfield and Armor Core are on sale by time I get to them 😭

Gamers out here eating damn good this year!
I think season 2 of diablo will drop off massively. No idea why they are intent on having rolling seasons. Give us time to breathe.

reinking

Gold Member
Since Sea of Stars is coming day 1 on both PS+ and Game Pass it kinda reminds me a bit of this meme. lol
"PS and Xbox fans holding arms and jumping together with a banner saying "thank you Jim and Phil" in Japanese and English."

sv6a1d2717x21.jpg
This is an example of how awesome It can be when nobody puts restrictions on a game and it is allowed to be on both services and all systems.

BlackTron

Wasn't even on my radar, then I hard it's from the same people that made The Messenger and you had my attention. Turns out it's an RPG that works like Chrono Trigger, except with timed hits like Mario RPG. OK, I'm playing it

Sojiro

Oh nice, good to see this reviewing so well! Think I will hold out for the physical copy, which gives me time to get through the backlog of games I still need to work through, but I am happy to see this looks to be a solid ass game!

I'm really happy this is reviewing that well as I am excited for it.

Will buy this for sure next Monday when I come back from my big pool tournament, I don't need the distraction and temptation to play this game until then.

bender

What time is it?
I was the opposite. Ignored the messenger until a few years later and it blew me away. Only thing I thought was oversold about it was the “twist” which the reviews made out to be some earth shattering thing but really isn’t that big of a deal at all.

I just thought the game took a nosedive after the twist. It went from being something that was fine to something unenjoyable.

Batiman

Banned
I’m surprised this is a prequel to the messenger. My son gonna be hyped. He loved that game and always talks about it . I’m pretty sure he gas this preinstalled

Duellist

So are we getting this for free on PS+ extra? Says it’s available today but can only add it to wish list.

SpiceRacz

I’ll pick it up but these type of games (16bit nostalgia jrpgs) are almost always overrated.

I bought Chained Echoes and it was total ass.

Yep. It's the same thing with the metroidvania genre. It's bloated with mediocre games. It doesn't take much to for a game to rise above that level, but when a game barely does, it gets undeservingly celebrated.

Either way, I'm gonna give this a shot, but I'm not expecting anything on the level of Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Dayum. When I backed this way back when I expected it to be an 80, maybe an 85+.

So happy to see Sabotage kick it out of the park, my Chrono Trigger itch has been itching for a looooong time and I guess I'm gonna be scratched good.

2QXshal.gif

EDIT: Also, echoing others sentiment...fuck you, 2023. Why do you have to cram me like a pig with so many good games. 😵‍💫

Last edited:

TexMex

I just thought the game took a nosedive after the twist. It went from being something that was fine to something unenjoyable.

I liked how it changed the gameplay especially on the way to some of the objectives towards the platinum. The equivalent of the "light/dark world" platforming from something like Guacamelee 2.

TexMex

I see most places saying this is tomorrow, but some saying it unlocks tonight? Found one counter suggesting 8pm CST? Also the Playstation Store has this listed as an 8/28 release. It would be unusual, most Plus updates are sometime Tuesday morning, but maybe?

So with this game being at 95 opencritic does that mean it's one of the highest rated games of this year? Has to be in the top 5 at least yes?

Top Bottom