• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellhunter - Essentially Supernatural: the RPG, Kickstarter soon

Saw this on Twitter yesterday

http://hellhuntergame.com/
http://ballisticinteractive.com/press/sheet.php?p=hellhunter

Hellhunter is a supernatural investigative hunting RPG, where you assume the role of a freelance hunter building his career towards uncovering the ultimate terror. However in each chosen job, the level is procedurally generated, and the true identity of the supernatural creature is not revealed. It is up to you to explore and investigate it, which ultimately effects the fight at the end of every job, creating an intense and unique experience for every hunt.
- Dark & unique art direction, using light & shadows to create a mysterious haunting atmosphere, with carefully tailored animation bringing the game to life.
- Procedural level generation, mixed with dynamic clue and enemy generation makes for a massively replayable experience. Clues are logically scattered around the level which the player has to find and decipher.
- Character progression & customization, with countless hightech gadgets, weapons and consumables.
- Contrasting gameplay, starts with careful investigation involving stealth, but progresses to fast paced intense combat by the end of a job.

Using salt and blacklights to detect a demon
NsNpVmo.gif
IFpKC1W.gif

14.gif

7.gif

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That looks absolutely awesome and the premise is great. Gosh I hope the kickstarter is a success and the developer ks trustworthy

This is so awesome, I love the whole old school 'Monster Hunting', and I always wanted a Supernatural like game, this looks so interesting.

From the book I think we may end up facing more than ghosts and demons ?, maybe Nosferatu's and Werewolves too !!

"procedurally generated"

And all hype is gone.
The blanket hate for the notion of procedural generation is kind of silly. Do you enjoy Civilization or 4X games or Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld or Spelunky?

Anyway, I had asked the dev and he said there will also be an overarching story and hand-crafted missions alongside the procedurally generated ones.

Looks great.

I don't mind the procedural nature. If it works like say XCOM where you do a certain number of generated missions or once you discover something then you do a "story mission" and then repeat the process I'm fine with that.

Shredderi

The blanket hate for the notion of procedural generation is kind of silly. Do you enjoy Civilization or 4X games or Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld or Spelunky?

Anyway, I had asked the dev and he said there will also be an overarching story and hand-crafted missions alongside the procedurally generated ones.

Not really if one's experience with procedural games (or games containing lots of procedural elements) is without exceptions, disappointment.

gabbo

This reminds me of Terminal Reality's Nocturne a bit, obviously in a modern setting, but as a paranormal detective/hunter type, with light playing a big emphasis in gameplay, I'm getting those vibes.

Not sure about the procedural generation, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Poyunch

I'm looking forward to befriending a socially-awkward angel and a strangely needy demon with a superiority complex.

Nice. I'm surprised there aren't more ghost chaser/monster hunter rpgs in general, seems like you could get a really nice setting going.

The characters make supernatural so I don't think saying this is the supernatural: the RPG fits. Yeah I get that it's about demon investigation but that's about it. You give me a character as hilarious as Dean then you can make that kind of comparison. That being said this game definitely looks interesting and I'll be keeping my eye on it. Depending on the tiers I may consider backing but it does look like this is the studio's first game.

The characters make supernatural so I don't think saying this is the supernatural: the RPG fits. Yeah I get that it's about demon investigation but that's about it. You give me a character as hilarious as Dean then you can make that kind of comparison. That being said this game definitely looks interesting and I'll be keeping my eye on it. Depending on the tiers I may consider backing but it does look like this is the studio's first game.
I was referring mainly to the investigation/fighting monsters aspect of Supernatural. Couldn't think of other games that did something similar besides Witcher

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to visit the alternate universe in which there's a big-budget, open-world Supernatural game set in the Pacific Northwest.

Edit: Oh, hey, Aussies are developing this game (as in Hellhunter, not the wish I described above). Backed for beta access.

Top Bottom