• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Gibson, Gearbox's head of marketing, wants Microsoft and Valve to "Play Nice."

clip

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Steve Gibson? Doesn't he also host a security podcast with Leo Laporte on the TWiT network? He also wrote SpinRite, the world's best hard disk recovery and maintenance utility.

Different guy. This Steve Gibson was the founder of shacknews.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo said:
It seems the most important question was the last one. Party matchmaking or Server browser. I went with server browser.
Ditto. As nice as it is always ending up on the same team in MW2, it's not hard getting our group into a server in TF2 and with a little effort, all ending up on the same team.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Boonoo said:
It seems the most important question was the last one. Party matchmaking or Server browser. I went with server browser.
Same. I did my part.

To be honest, I would get more out of html links to live matches on servers than an elaborate party or matchmaking system, especially for a game with a smaller community.

Zzoram

I liked Borderlands quite a bit. Or at least I liked what Borderlands showed me Diablo style games could become.

Personally I think Diablo should stay isometric view, but I want to see more games that try to be first-person Diablo now that Borderlands has laid the foundation of the way such a game would work. Hopefully future iterations of Borderlands expand on the types of loot you can acquire, implement a gambling system to sink money into like with Diablo, and provide more types of environments and enemies to keep things from getting bland. I have high hopes for Borderlands 2, hoping that it copies as much from Diablo as it can. I only played Borderlands on 360 but if Borderlands 2 has a superior Steamworks PC version I'd prefer that.

Boonoo

Stallion Free said:
Ditto. As nice as it is always ending up on the same team in MW2, it's not hard getting our group into a server in TF2 and with a little effort, all ending up on the same team.

Plus with things like TF2 people can layer on community-built matchmaking. Tf2lobby.com is an example of a streamlined system--it's pretty much a copy of the L4D matchmaking. You can either use your own server or one of Valve's, and you fill up the lobby then it launches you into TF2. Or something a little less streamlined like finding scrims, etc on irc. Having that strong server based community really is key for general public games, though.

Felix Lighter said:
Wow, the people who don't like Borderlands, REALLY REALLY don't like Borderlands.

At launch Borderlands co-op was utterly broken on PC. This was after Big Randy repeatedly claimed that the game was made for PC and ported to consoles, which made myself and a lot of other PC gamers pretty excited to grab it. I picked up the 4 pack on Steam and gifted it to some friends, and by the time the multiplayer was actually playable we had moved on to other games.

I probably devoted about 10 hours to the spectacularly mediocre singleplayer game before I turned it off in disgust. A shooter with sub-par shooting and a looter with shitty loot is neither a good FPS or RPG. And Big Randy deciding to sink the slipper into Valve at the launch of the game made me even less inclined to give him or Gearbox the benefit of the doubt considering the significant contribution which Valve have made to PC gaming and gaming in general.

And now this. Gearbox launched a game with the shittiest, broken online I have encountered for a very long time and now they're criticising two companies who are considerably closer to getting it right. Gibson's point about friend lists doesn't even ring true since a GFWL title can connect to Live, so even if I buy it on Steam I can still play with friends on that friend list.

So yeah, lol Gearbox.

Zzoram

jim-jam bongs said:
At launch Borderlands co-op was utterly broken on PC. This was after Big Randy repeatedly claimed that the game was made for PC and ported to consoles, which made myself and a lot of other PC gamers pretty excited to grab it. I picked up the 4 pack on Steam and gifted it to some friends, and by the time the multiplayer was actually playable we had moved on to other games.

I probably devoted about 10 hours to the spectacularly mediocre singleplayer game before I turned it off in disgust. A shooter with sub-par shooting and a looter with shitty loot is neither a good FPS or RPG. And Big Randy deciding to sink the slipper into Valve at the launch of the game made me even less inclined to give him or Gearbox the benefit of the doubt considering the significant contribution which Valve have made to PC gaming and gaming in general.

And now this. Gearbox launched a game with the shittiest, broken online I have encountered for a very long time and now they're criticising two companies who are considerably closer to getting it right. Gibson's point about friend lists doesn't even ring true since a GFWL title can connect to Live, so even if I buy it on Steam I can still play with friends on that friend list.

So yeah, lol Gearbox.

Good point, I forgot about that.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Boonoo said:
Same here.

Shame the question: Gamespy; kill it with fire or nuclear weaponry? wasn't included.

Zzoram

I would be shocked if Borderlands 2 uses anything but Steamworks. Anybody who bought the first game at launch will probably skip the sequel if they see Gamespy again given the disaster that was.

IoCaster

Steve Gibson, Gearbox's head of marketing...

Damn, I didn't even know that sCary was working at Gearbox. "Head of marketing"...eh...no shit.

Hey Steve, I guess you sold off the Shack or something and I completely missed the news. I'll never forget the Quakeholio and Shugashack era of funtime deathmatch and smacktalk. Hope you made a bundle and best of luck to you.

Also, this issue pretty much exclusively applies to GFWL vs Steamworks, since other DD stores offer titles with both systems. If I were a suspicious person I'd be thinking that Gearbox wants to release a GFWL title to leverage the marketing dollars and support of having Microsoft as a partner, but doesn't want to be stuck with Live for multiplayer since it's something of a ghost town on PC.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Scott Kevill said:
The problem is that a game using Steamworks is effectively bundling the Steam store with the game, which obviously isn't going to sit well with other download stores. Their options are either to not carry the title and hope that publishers see the risk in putting all their eggs in one basket, or to carry it and let Steam infiltrate their own customer base. Either way, Steam heads closer towards 100% monopoly.
This doesn't ring true. We are talking about bundling what amounts to a webpage. I have games on Steam, Impulse, D2D, EAStore, gamersgate, GFWL and will continue to buy from those services (except for GFWL). What someone should be doing is creating a UI that unifies game launching from these services. The only reason steam is approaching monopoly is because they provide the best service and UI (although its still pretty bad) - not because they bundle a webpage link with games. Provide a XBMC movie browser type interface for games with a wide range of sorting and categorizing tools which looks for games from all services and you can attach your own store front to that. Comrade, already looks for a bunch of steam games and allows you to launch from within its game browser, however its UI is terrible and uncustomizable.

1-D_FTW

jim-jam bongs said:
Also, this issue pretty much exclusively applies to GFWL vs Steamworks, since other DD stores offer titles with both systems. If I were a suspicious person I'd be thinking that Gearbox wants to release a GFWL title to leverage the marketing dollars and support of having Microsoft as a partner, but doesn't want to be stuck with Live for multiplayer since it's something of a ghost town on PC.

Steam has no problem selling games that use GFWL. The game is forced to use the crapfest that is Live for online, but Steam still has no problem selling it. And it's compatible with all other versions of the game and Live.

Zzoram

jim-jam bongs said:

The benefit of being GFW Live is being in the ghetto GFW booth in the back corner of Gamestop's increasingly irrelevent PC section. The benefit of being Steamworks is getting the attention of the largest community of PC gamers that buy a lot of PC games. The choice should be clear.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hopefully they remember that server browsers need to work well with friends lists so that you can easily join, see what map, and how many people are in the server, and auto-join! like you can on Steam.

It was weird going back to play Call of Duty 4 with a buddy without X-fire, trying to find the same server together.

Kittonwy

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=268880

I honestly cannot think of a game where the bolded is true.

Jesus Christ just fucking pick a side, why would two competing distribution networks "work with each other"?
Indifferent2.gif

Fredescu

Scott Kevill said:
IThis kind of thing is starting to happen already. Games with a Steam version that uses Steamworks for multiplayer, and a non-Steam version that either isn't multiplayer compatible or doesn't have multiplayer at all.
Which games do this?

Scott Kevill said:
The problem is that a game using Steamworks is effectively bundling the Steam store with the game, which obviously isn't going to sit well with other download stores. .

Tough shit. If their store is so horrible that the slightest glimpse of a competitor's offering would make their customers jump ship then its on them to improve their service and prevent that from happening. If their store doesn't offer something that can rival Steamworks to developers and consumers for free (and none do) then again that's their problem for not matching their competitor's offerings. DD that are much worse than their competition aren't improving the market. Valve have set the bar and its upto them to match or surpass it if they can't do that then they've got a finite existence anyway, whether Steamworks exists or not.

Fredescu

poppabk said:
What someone should be doing is creating a UI that unifies game launching from these services.
I don't know why this is needed at all, but Raptr does this, and you can add all your friends lists from other services. I find those functions pointless though, I just use it for time tracking.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fredescu said:
Which games do this?
Some countries don't support GFWL, so they removed it for retail and replaced it with another DRM. I remember this being the case for Dead Rising 2. I haven't heard of that being a problem with steamworks games though. They wouldn't be able to play the game at all, in that case. In fact, there is a steamworks game that hasn't been announced for Steam. It's currently only been announced for another DD service.

SapientWolf said:
Some countries don't support GFWL, so they removed it for retail and replaced it with another DRM. I remember this being the case for Dead Rising 2. I haven't heard of that being a problem with steamworks games though. They wouldn't be able to play the game at all, in that case. In fact, there is a steamworks game that hasn't been announced for Steam. It's currently only been announced for another DD service.

Region locked online modes is a completely separate issue though and only applies to GFWL. It affects retail copies just the same as it does DD copies.

Zzoram said:
The benefit of being GFW Live is being in the ghetto GFW booth in the back corner of Gamestop's increasingly irrelevent PC section. The benefit of being Steamworks is getting the attention of the largest community of PC gamers that buy a lot of PC games. The choice should be clear.
The choice is definitely clear from our perspective, but what if Microsoft funds print and TV advertising on GFWL titles (for example)? All idle speculation on my part as I have no idea whether they do, just pointing out that these bizarre comments from Gibson would have more context if Gearbox wanted to get benefits from both platforms but were being prevented from doing so by MS.

And 1-D I know that, my post was a bit unclear. I own Bioshock 2 and RE5 on Steam. My point was that it's specifically an issue for GFWL vs Steamworks because both platforms are combined DD and online service providers.

Burekma

Wait, Bloody good time is region blocked in the US? (That's where you guys are from, right?)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2450/

Anyway, this is its store page and it's available for preorder here in Europe.

EDIT: actually, scratch that last part. It's still not available for pre-purchase despite saying so in the title :/

It's definitely getting released though.

Rainier

Burekma said:
Wait, Bloody good time is region blocked in the US? (That's where you guys are from, right?)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2450/

Anyway, this is its store page and it's available for preorder here in Europe.

EDIT: actually, scratch that last part. It's still not available for pre-purchase despite saying so in the title :/

It's definitely getting released though.

Ya, I get this.
An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
What game?
Most games using the Steamworks API also opt for a presence in the Steam store. The only known exceptions (since Valve does not make announcements about such games) are NBA 2K9 and Supreme Commander 2 for Mac OS X.
That just illustrates that developers are free to use Steamworks whether the title is available on Steam or not.

brain_stew said:
Region locked online modes is a completely separate issue though and only applies to GFWL. It affects retail copies just the same as it does DD copies.
It's not a region locked online issue so much as it is that region not allowing for any GFWL support at all, for whatever reason. SK may have a similar problem if they block Steam over the whole ratings thing. That issue is only tangentially related to the current topic though, which is... unified friends lists? I don't even know, to be honest.

Top Bottom