• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triathlon GAF - All Levels

mdsfx

I'm a runner transitioning into triathlon this year and I've been searching for a place to post my progress, experiences, and questions without cluttering up the running or fitness/lifting threads. I'm hoping there are enough people out there to contribute to a triathlon thread, whether your starting your first week of training or a seasoned Ironman.

There was certainly a mental barrier for me when I first considered it. I really thought it was for ultra-competitive athletes only, but I was surprised to find that like running, all different kinds of people of varying skill levels were competing and everyone was overwhelmingly welcoming and helpful.

After running about 10 races last year including a few half marathons, I decided 2017 was the year of the triathlon and full marathon. I'm currently signed up for 4 triathlons in my area this year including the Chicago Sprint Triathlon, as well as the Chicago Marathon (full).

I've been training consistently 6-7 days a week
and have taken some swim lessons (by chance from an Olympic medalist) which helped tremendously, but as expected, I still have a long way to go. I just purchased my first wetsuit and a used time trial bike. I'm swimming about 2.5 miles, cycling 30+ miles, and running 30+ miles per week, but that's slowly ramping up.

Things are heating up for this year and I'm really looking forward to the new experiences, albeit with a hint of nervousness!

mdsfx

Testing out the wetsuit today along with my tolerance for cold water (Chicago area). Here goes nothing! Brrr...

cdViking

A random top, but would be interested in seeing if anybody else is into tri. Doing first race in a couple of years next weekend after focusing on cycling for the past while, and had to order the million and a half small items you need to do the sport sans headaches (race belt, elastic shoelaces, bento box, aerobar water bottle holder, etc.).

Going to be interesting to see how things go. Haven't run well since 2011, but have become a beast on the bike since then. Zwift makes weekday training infinitely more engaging.

mdsfx

Lol thread is back from the dead!

That's some beastly cycling there. Nice work! Your lightyears ahead of me in the cycling department. My rides usually cap out at 25 miles, but I'll get there.

All of the accessories needed for a race certainly add up, but some of the little things can make a big difference in terms of time, comfort, or both.

I have my 3rd tri coming up in a few weeks. Just placed 57/422 in Lake Zurich, IL a few weeks back. I'm loving the sport overall. I would love to see if any other GAFers are into it.

Edit: never heard of zwift! I'll check it out

cdViking

Good to hear you're taking a longer-than-one-and-done interest in the sport... while I haven't competed in any tris the last couple of years, I have a lot of friends/training buddies who have given anecdotes about declining participation.

If you have a power meter, Zwift is a godsend if you have to ride indoors. Basically a video game for trainer riding, complete with the ability to do races, compete for King of the Mountains jerseys, etc. In my opinion, a power meter is an absolute must have once you get your bike legs (ie pass the "just ride a lot and you'll get way fitter" stage).

I have a sprint in Whidbey Island, WA scheduled and then an Olympic in September. I *might* look at 70.3 SuperFrog in San Diego if my run progresses really quickly, but I'm likely going to hold off on long course events until the second half of next year. Getting older (31 and not 25) means I have some appreciation for doing things for the fun of it and not risking long term injury for short term gains, so no use in pushing things too quickly. :)

mdsfx

Less than 2 weeks out from the race that started it all for me: The Naperville Sprint Triathlon. I never thought I would actually be participating after being a spectator 2 years ago, especially considering that I hardly knew how to swim at the time. I cannot freakin wait.

mdsfx

And done! Placed 152 of 1304 which is my best placement yet (top 12ish %). Took off way too fast in the swim, which had me trying to catch breath, but I survived with a time if 6:50 for 400m (my weakest leg). I averaged 20.5mph on the bike and 7:10/mi on the run.

w7CdQCv.jpg

Top Bottom