• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

Tizoc

Tom and Jerry had some fantastic animation in their early years. I should really get around to marathoning that era.

TEJ

Freakazoid is my favorite tv toon ever.

It only got two seasons :(

Pretty much classic to 90's era warner bros and Disney are my favorites. 80's don bluth is cool too.

Love seeing TRON Uprising get recognition. I also have to recommend Motorcity. It also aired on Disney XD with TRON. Easily my favorite thing Titmouse has done. Awesome and unique style, very dynamic animation, and Mark Hamill is always welcome in animation. It was also cancelled with TRON, and only has the one season.

I'd also like to throw in Moral Orel, which I slept on and recently watched on Hulu, realizing my mistake. The show is a ride and gets very dark and very real in the end of the second season and all of the third.

Both are available on Hulu in full in the US, as well as on Amazon and iTunes for purchase.
Oh man I fucking ADORED Moral Orel, and like yourself originally gave it a pass since I just figured it'd be a generic parody of Davey and Goliath with LOL RELIGION IS FOR IDIOTS message. Wound up loving it, though I'm not sure I'd rank it as my favorite [adult swim] show. Still easily up there at least.

In particular, seeing them delve into what initially seemed to be a generic hypocritical Christan father-figure with Clay got legitimately unsettling for me at times, something even some of my favorite animated series can't really attest to.

retroman

I really love the rubber-like animation of classic cartoons :)

tumblr_npgm00j4p41tkxxq7o1_400.gif

retroman

Too bad the above GIF is so small and short, because the opening scene of Mickey On Ice looks rather lovely with all that stuff going on in the background.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm really enjoying star wars rebels

is the clone wars cg show just as good?

Early Clone Wars is worse than Rebels, later Clone Wars is better.

You should watch Clone Wars if only to watch Ahsoka Tano grow as a character, if you liked her in Rebels.

BadWolf

Re-watched Tangled recently, it's so good.

Its animation is the closest that 3D has come to replicating the life of Disney's best 2D animation imo.

They did an amazing job with Rapunzel in particular.

Glen Keane, man.

The man is incredible, a huge inspiration.

For those that haven't seen them, here are two animation shorts he has worked on since leaving Disney:

Duet
Nephtali

He is just on another level.

vypek

You had to remind me they stopped this show after only 2 season....

I loved this show soo much :(

I just disliked most of the songs.

The creators wanted to stop there, right? I remember looking it up after I didn't see a season 3 and the only info I could seem to get was that the team just liked ending at 52 episodes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The one in New York?
Yeah! Titmouse has a home in LA, then a NY and Vancouver branch.

NY's current announced projects are Son of Zorn, Niko and the Sword of Light, Goldie and Bear, and Hasbro's Hanazuki. It's a pretty exciting variety to see on screens while walking around.
Re-airing the old stuff, or new stuff [Megas]?
Ah sorry, that was just a joke about long dead shows that keep getting fan requests for new shows episodes. I'd personally love to see what direction a new Megas XLR season would have gone in.

Oli

I always found it interesting to look at pencil tests for computer animated movies.

(Frozen)
tumblr_n7cfgcCZ8H1ttjvjko2_500.gif

Urgh! It's so wonderful. Wish the whole movie was like this. Granted, 3D animation has come a long way and looks fantastic, but there is just no match for the hand drawn look.

NY's current announced projects are Son of Zorn, Niko and the Sword of Light, Goldie and Bear, and Hasbro's Hanazuki. It's a pretty exciting variety to see on screens while walking around.

Ah sorry, that was just a joke about long dead shows that keep getting fan requests for new shows episodes. I'd personally love to see what direction a new Megas XLR season would have gone in.

That's what I get for skimming.

:'(

Crossing Eden

I visited that studio like six months ago. We may have met.

Urgh! It's so wonderful. Wish the whole movie was like this. Granted, 3D animation has come a long way and looks fantastic, but there is just no match for the hand drawn look.
Paperman and Feast would disagree.

God, there will never be a better outsourcing studio than Tokyo Movie Shinsha.

....well, mayyyybe Studio Mir.

Wow, so that iconic Clayface scene wasn't even animated in Murica? Figures.

It also blew my mind that early 90s X-Men was all Korean, apparently. For later series like Evolution I thought, "Sure, that just has the look of having been outsourced", but again, not X-Men '93.

I have to propose that everything outsourced to Asia be excluded (if you have time to play detective). Which would mean, for starters, everything Avatar :( On the other hand, I can entertain the argument that it shouldn't matter.

Wow, so that iconic Clayface scene wasn't even animated in Murica? Figures. :/
The way outsourcing like that works is that a scene is typically storyboarded in the US, and then layout and animation is done with an overseas director. Korra for instance, is written, designed, and storyboarded in great detail in the US, but then the team has a close relationship with Studio Mir for getting a specific look out of the animation.

Fun fact about that Clayface sequence - TMS during the time of BTAS was fully staffed with vets from Akira.

Yoshinobu Michihata is the name of the animator on the transformation sequence, and he's done Akira, Ghibli, and everything inbetween.

There's a behind the scenes featurette somewhere, where Bruce Timm, Glen Murakami and the rest of them didn't realize the pedigree they were working with at first, and after they found out, it was a matter of giving them more freedom in certain moments to do what they do best.

MomoMura

Can I get some Adventure Time love in here please

Also those pencil tastes look amazing. I wish I had that sort of craftsmanship

Only two pages and it's already full of love and adoration to the people and products of the industry. I really wish we had a thread on web based animation and the like. From the up and comers starting their journey on the web to people making shows on the web, to just fight animations and such. Oh well, maybe some day.
Bravest Warriors and Bee & Puppycat got mentions on the first page (and a recent Bravest thread is why we have this OT now) and they're web based! I don't see any reason we should bar stuff like that from this thread if still falls under "Western Animation", unless people would prefer this to be "Wester Studio Animation" thread. Share some of your favorites!

Don't we have a Gaffer here that works in animation?

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

Crocodile

For some reason this thread is more expansive in time frame than I expected but then again all the Anime Os cover ALL anime and not just the current season so it makes sense.

The gif spam is going to be murder on browsing and posting in this thread though as sweet as they can be though :p

Man I'd give my first born for another season of Sym Bionic Titan.

I still miss this show. One of the best cartoons in the past decade IMO :(

At least new Samurai Jack is upon us soon <3

They're continuing Motorcity? o_O
Sorry to get your hopes up, it was just a cruel joke. It's buried deep inside a Disney vault, never to see the light of day again.

I was with that Uarts group.
Oh cool! I'm trying to remember my seat during that timeframe, but if you were shuffled into a dark pre-production room and shown some stuff about a little flower girl, I was the one giving the talk about character design and model sheets. If that doesn't sound familiar, then I think I was shuffled onto a different desk to do storyboards then.

But that's really cool! We've since moved into a MUCH nicer office. If you're still around next year, I hope your school gets to swoop through again.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Paperman and Feast would disagree.

Oh, man. Feast hit me dead on. My buddy was having some relationship issues with his girlfriend, and I was pretty happy about it because he was around more. I realized I was the dog. I don't know if that's what they were going for, but damn did it work.

tumblr_ndk67o7XNs1rf73xqo9_500-1424473408.gif

This thread is also reminding me how great Over the Garden Wall is. I need to watch that again before Halloween.

tumblr_neyhw7Vtd21qdi5kdo1_400.gif

I do miss variation in the... uh... lines in a lot of animated shows. While I do enjoy some current TV animated shows, all the line work seems to be the same.

To illustrate my point, here is the original Powerpuff Girls:
LGXYCf1.jpg

And the modern reboot:
powerpuff-girls-key-art-small.0.jpg

It's really thin.

I'm sure there's a good reason in the general shift to this style, but as a viewer I'm not a fan of how it looks.

Crossing Eden

Sorry to get your hopes up, it was just a cruel joke. It's buried deep inside a Disney vault, never to see the light of day again.

Oh cool! I'm trying to remember my seat during that timeframe, but if you were shuffled into a dark pre-production room and shown some stuff about a little flower girl, I was the one giving the talk about character design and model sheets. If that doesn't sound familiar, then I think I was shuffled onto a different desk to do storyboards then.

But that's really cool! We've since moved into a MUCH nicer office. If you're still around next year, I hope your school gets to swoop through again.
I remember seeing the storyboards, pretty sure I moved back to where James Sugrue was working. I looked around in an old sketchbook and found the two minute doodles I did.

Pretty sure they're going to Titmouse this year, that's always the most exciting studio for students since the other ones are typically Fox News and studios that specialize in making animations for an incredibly young audience.

Top Bottom