• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

(Memorial site established by Drizz's wife at http://www.allenmackey.com)
This OT is presented due to the invaluable efforts of Lnkn52 and JohnOfMars, who provided graphics, writing, and collected stats from across the web.
My sincerest thanks also to all those throughout DestinyGAF who provided stories, images, and videos.
Special recognition is due to Macello as well, for taking the intiative to set up a fund for our contributions and have the "Guardian Angel" bouquet delieverd.
Finally, a shout-out to DeathJr, Unstable and all others who championed the close runner-up for the title of this thread, a dumb pun that Drizz would've loved: "The Doctor is Out."

This thread is a celebration of Dr. Drizzay's life and the immeasurable impact he had on our community.

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_02.png

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_03.png

No corner of our community was untouched by his legacy.

Here are some collected stories and memories- still a mere fraction of the times we had.
(presented in alphabetical order by username)​

Biggy70686 said:
Like many of you on DGAF I'm in awe of Drizzay's contribution to the community, His commitment to help each and every guardian with whatever activity they requested is phenomenal. I'm thankful to be part of this great community and to have met such a great kind soul.
You've inspired me to reach out and help the community.
R.I.P Allen Carr Mackey AKA DrDrizzay101

2FIrmRG.png

iNKSJJF.png

ZLRgRbP.png

Chucker said:
I was literally talking to my IB Train last night about the last time I ran trials with him. I did poorly, and he gave me constructive criticism.

He made me feel like I had disappointed my dad, and told me how to be better. Nobody else was like him.

I didn't play with him a whole lot, but we certainly talked in Discord.

He was too good, a saint.

RIP Drizz, see you when I see you.

If you still have space, that is.

Dave_6 said:
My last interaction with him was a couple months ago about him running my account in Trials. I knew he was a nice guy but to do something like this for me and so many others with no questions asked is out of the ordinary these days. I knew I didn't have to worry about him doing something stupid like deleting one of my characters or stealing any of my account info either. Well an hour later I get this screenshot sent to me from him:

28523206854_02cc82333d_o.jpg

Needless to say I was super excited. I had been chasing a Doctrine for weeks and just didn't have the skills to get it myself. I will never delete the loot I got from this and I will never forget how much Drizzay did for us and the Destiny community in general.

RIP man, you will be sorely missed by so many...

deafmedal1 said:
Almost all of my playtimes with Doc were raid related, especially VoG- I'm fairly sure the last time we were partied up we waxed poetic about VoG and how it was a shame it was left behind, forever lost in the dark corners of time.

Anywho, on a fateful night, on the Ides of March in '15 a group popped up here to do a run. Doc, ocean, Xion, Majik, lunlun and I... This was during the great G'horn drought. Always was great playing with someone who didn't have one when they finally got it. Xion was one such person and his reaction was fanfuckingtastic! Dude was crying and sooooo fucking happy, it was awesome to be a part of that. We actually did a "throwback" run, where we all rocked as much VoG gear as we could (I still do this!) and it was just pure fun :)

Link to page group formed, make sure to check out post 407 on the next page for a not as good written announcement by Xion

Very nostalgic reading those two pages.

Bonus:
Of course, I will always cherish our HM VoG Flawless- everyone told me I was crazy and it would be too hard. Not with the pros in that fire team :)

Duebrithil said:
30th of November 2014, 14:49 in the afternoon. That's the exact unlock date of my "Flawless Rider" trophy.

Those weren't easy days for prospective flawless riders: only Vault of Glass was available and the final boss, Atheon, had a tendency to glitch out and ruin people's runs (the rumor went, as retaliation for certain "disrespectful" behavior towards him). Not all hope was lost though, as The Templar's recently developed phobia of grenades simplified much of the run.

The Templar bug was not going to last long (and indeed was patched next tuesday), so time was of the essence. Furthermore the infamous jumping puzzle could turn a perfect run south real quick.

Trying to help 5 strangers through such a challenge when factors outside player skill could ruin everything would have given pause to most people.

Fortunately Drizzay was not most people, and had already helped others before us. After a first rocky run where lag screwed us over, the real run went without a hitch: confluxes were destroyed, platforms were jumped (without need for skipping the whole thing even!) and we sent Atheon packing out of our timeline.

Here's a clip of the Atheon fight, recorded by Coy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1W0lncCoow

Surely the amount of work, pressure and repetition would tire Drizz? Hah! See what he had to say after the endeavour:

Boguester said:
Flawless #5, woohoo!! Great job everybody and big congrats to all the new guardian lords and soon-to-be guardian lords!!

Not only was that a glitch-free Atheon fight, but we got three straight left-side portals and burned him down with T's V every time. Holy shit, I'm speechless. Only the second post-hotfix, glitch-free Atheon fight I've ever seen.
Flawless #5, woohoo!! Great job everybody and big congrats to all the new guardian lords and soon-to-be guardian lords!!

Not only was that a glitch-free Atheon fight, but we got three straight left-side portals and burned him down with T's V every time. Holy shit, I'm speechless. Only the second post-hotfix, glitch-free Atheon fight I've ever seen.
And that's how I like to think about Drizzay: Always willing to help a fellow Guardian, and happy when he could push us ever closer towards our goals.

Flawless rider, Crota, Skolas, Oryx... Thank you for everything.

E92 M3 said:
Drizz, helped me a lot with my transition to PS4 trials. Starting out, I didn't have much and was underleveled, but he still played with me to get things started. And also, was just a great guy to talk to.

Truly one of a kind.

Frostburn said:
One of my most random and fondest memories of Drizzy is him sharing HM Gorgon's checkpoint while on his Vita and me on my fresh level 30 Titan I leveled super fast not being able to jump up to the cave opening correctly. He immediately took to the DGAF thread to make fun of me about it.

Boguester said:
lol Frostburn, your jumping is an insult to Titans everywhere! Where are the ups??

Edit: I was so upset I tried to aggro the Gorgons onto you...
And my reply:
This guy just hit 20 then 30 last week. I'm a Titan n00b :( and the glare on my TV from the sun is SOOO bad right now.

/titanexcuses
Just a random moment in time with one of the best of DestinyGAF.

GlamFM said:
GraveRobber and I used to play regularly for a long time. Every Tuesday morning (Germany time) instead of going to work we did our reset duties together.

One day Grave did not show up and we soon learned that he had had an accident.

Fast forward MONTHS later and he is online all of a sudden! And he´s in a fireteam of five! Of course I jump in!

"Hey Grave! Long time no see! How are you?"

"Hey Glam. It´s me, Drizz. I´m just helping Grave getting his Characters into shape so he can play with us once he´s back"

That´s so Drizz, because not only did he play his characters, carry everybody to the moon and back. No, he also logged into a friends account to help him catch up.

GraveRobberX said:
The first day I got back home from a 1 year stay at the hospital, I searched him out through party chat while he was helping someone
Just as I joined, he let out a nice great hello in his distinct voice
I went Drizzay mised you and thank you for my characters and helping leveling them up
He joked now it would be a problem of identity crisis that there's a Real GraveRobberX and Fake GraveRobberX.
The meme joke carried in the inner circles for a few weeks
I just remember talking to him for hours just shooting the shit on my first day back, not even logging into Destiny, just wanted to say Hello to my buddy.

I might have not known him super personal, but I always was there to be by his side if needed, he went out of his way to get me ready once I came back
Gonna miss him so much.

GutZ31 said:
When I was first getting involved with Destiny, and the Vault of Glass raid, I would frequently do the raid over and over throughout the week to learn the ins and outs. After a while, I get fairly confident in my ability to not be the weak link in a raid.
Shortly after getting comfortable with the raid, I played with Drizzay, and was in awe at what he knew, and his willingness to impart his knowledge on me, and anyone willing to listen.
Meeting him that one time changed me from wanting to be a raider, to wanting to be part of the community, to teach, and learn from each other.
My first meeting with Drizzay made me want to lead people thru some of the hardest PvE content Destiny has to offer.
I became a better person because of that.
This community is better for having known him.

Hawkian said:
I spent a long time trying to come up with the "best" or "most epic" Drizzay story I had, but then decided just to settle on the first one that came to mind, because it was so him.

A newbie who had never done Skolas before posted looking for help with it. Through serendipity both he and I offered to assist; I joked as soon as we we in the fireteam that our new friend was really getting the all-star treatment here. Surefire success was our only outcome, of course. ;)

We tore through the Prison of Elders and left Skolas a smoldering hole in the ground. I'm sure this was Drizz's 85th time killing him or something. This was just after the shotgun nerf, so we were sliding around struggling to get kills on yellow enemies that would've been cake the day before.

But Drizz didn't complain about that in our party chat. No, almost every word I remember about our run both during and after was praise and advice for this newbie we ran with. He couldn't stop talking about how well he did and what a great kill it was for a first-timer. It stuck with me as exactly 100% the way new players deserve to be treated when they come to our community for help, and putting it into my own practice helping others is the way I'll make sure to never forget the lesson.

Hypermusic said:
Hi,

Mine isn't some big story or the like, but I remember it fondly.

As usual with IB and GAF we ended up together in a team. One match he ended up finishing below me and as I'm fairly bad at PvP, I said it was an insult to finish below me:

Destiny_20151019153055_zpsaobo5vq4.png

He laughed and said he'd rectify that next time. It was all banter and I said "sure". This was the next time we played:

Destiny_20151019150142_zps3iq42isn.png

I was so busy laughing and so was he. It was just an absolute pleasure being in his company, and my only regret is I didn't have the opportunity to play more Destiny with him more.

My best, K.

igordennis said:
My story with drizzay is -as you would expect from me- a trials match. We played thousands together but some of them stand out, some were exhilarating, some were incredibly depressing to the point it made me and him not play destiny for a week, some were absolutely hilarious, and some made us feel at the top of the world. But most of all, all of them were fun.

And not even because of the game itself, but because of who i was playing it with. If you ever played trials with him you'll know what i'm talking about. His presence gave an incredible sense of safety and confidence, he made everything seem possible. Yes, even a 0-4 comeback against a team with 3 supers. I have played with a lot of players that had better stats than him but this warm "aura" was unique to him.

And so, one of the highlights of my trials memories with him is a particular match on frontier. If you know me by now, you know how much i hate frontier. But it was only after this weekend that i started disliking the map. But certainly not because of this match that I'm talking about, no.

This match...was a match at the end of friday. Me and him had (as frenden would put it) been poop-socking it that day and were playing trials on that god forsaken map for 8+ hours. We played 60+ matches that day, something like 6 or 7 successful cards, more than half of them being us helping weaker players. And so it was a marathon, we didn't set off the session planning on doing one but it ended up becoming one because of our enjoyment of it. Especially helping weaker players get to the mythical (and ever harder to get) lighthouse. Me and drizz agreed on this fact of Destiny: there is nothing more rewarding that this game offers than helping someone get to mercury. Or as he put it, "deflowering mergins (mercury virgins)".

And so this match was at the end of this marathon, the very last card. It was almost 3 am for me and we were tired but playing as focused as ever. Because this one, like i said, was helping a mercury virgin. And the stakes were higher than ever, this was final boss and we had lost our mercy earlier to a really good team so this was gonna be make or break. And since it was our last match of the last card for the day it would also either make us sleep really bad or make us sleep like a baby. Ending the day on a loss as painful as this one would be really fucks you up, me and Drizz absolutely hated ending the day on that note. It makes you forget all that you accomplished earlier that day (which was a lot) and all that is left ringing in loud tones on your mind as you fall asleep is that sour loss.

Our third was mercury virgin foxehkins, to be honest I'm not even sure if he is a gaffer, i don't think he is. All i know is he came asking for Drizz for help and, of course, Drizz offered a hand. Anyway, this was as sweaty as a final boss could be, really good team, self-rezzing warlocks, bullshit firebolts, extremely slow match, the other team abusing the cheese spots on the awful map that is Frontier, all that mess.

So we lose the first round (don't know how because it didn't record it). We lose the second round because they abuse the cheese spot on the map to get a pick on me and collapse on us. But in turn we win the next round because we punish that guy cheesing that spot by getting a pick. This guy self rezzes and after a lot of scramble and 8 kills for our team and only 3 for the enemy team we manage to close out the round. 1-2

The next round goes all the way to cap zone and when everyone starts moving there i manage to get two down, kill the last guy as he gets a revive and the revived guy dies soon after. 2-2. Next round they start by getting a pick on our carry but me and drizz manage to play off of it and win the round, 3-2.

Next round, things start derailing. We use all of supers, they use two of their smashes and i died to an unfortunate really long range shockwave. 3-3. We lose the next round because i shot a guy's neck instead of his head and get picked off. 3-4. We were kinda hopeless at this point.

On the next round i appropriately shoot their heads and win the sniper battle to get all 3 of them down, but the warlock self-rezzes while i wasn't watching and prolongs the round while getting all 3 of them up and our carry being dead. Me and drizz fall back and make plans for the cap zone. We manage to win that round by me sniping a guy, drizz sniping another one and me trading with a smash. 4-4.

Last round, drizzay gets a pick, and we push, he uses his blade but gets smashed (expected), so i use mine and kill two of them. One guy standing on their side, all 3 on our side. Drizz closes out the match by sniping him. We win. The famous "LETS FUCKING GO" is appropriately yelled some 4 times as loud as drizz could. I celebrate with him and we spend some 5 minutes stretching and making some weird (almost orgasmic) noises of relief as we go to our final destination, Mercury.

The night is closed out on a bright note and me and drizz have a late night talk for like an hour about trials and various stuff. This is one of my best and most cherished memories with him.

I saved the video but it doesn't have voice. But when we won, that was the most hype i ever saw him. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3txbuEU0c

owvqduC.jpg
QcBpLxS.jpg
A6yNVEz.jpg

I will forever miss what he brought to this game, which was something unique and very personal. Rest assured, 20 years from now when I'm logging off for the last time on Destiny 4 or whatever, the person i will be thinking of is going to be none other than DrDrizzay101, or as he signed it to me on a PM:

qsUKTzU.png

Jinjo said:
I can only hope to leave a fraction of the impact he had on this community. I played with him throughout my entire Destiny adventures from almost the beginning, whenever he was in your group you knew you'd succeed. A great Guardian and an unbelievable kind and fun person. It is no surprise why he was so truly loved by the community. If there ever was a true Iron Lord, it was him. May he look upon us from the Traveler in the sky during the rest our adventures. Rest in peace, Guardian.

kGqUHY5.jpg

Kalamari said:
I never got to know Drizzay that well, or play with him that often, but I had a ton of respect for the guy. The few times that I was able to play with him, it felt like I had won the lottery or something, he was always a pleasure to interact with whether it be on the forums, twitch chat, or in Destiny.

The amount of time and effort he devoted to helping others was enormous, in fact people would joke about there being a Drizzay Signal to activate, much like Batman's, if you needed help with something. Subtly implying that he had gained superhero status among those that knew him.

Klyka said:
Driz helped me and another DGAFfer to beat Skolas for the Year 1 Triumphs.
Then we sat in a party chat and like, these two kids, couldn't have been older than 13 maybe joined and kept asking Drizz to help them with Skolas.
He had literally just spent 3 hours pulling us two through Skolas where we fucked up SO much and kept apologizing to him and instead of saying "No, sorry, I am tired" he just went "yeah sure, let's go" and went with the two kids and did it.

Honestly, Drizzay deserves a damn statue next to the Iron Lords.

LiK said:
My best memory was when we got the Flawless Raider trophy together. This was in early November 2014 during the first year of Destiny. We spent literally 2 weeks in VOG trying to get it through all the glitches and accidental deaths by various Gaffers who grouped with us. It was quite a struggle and when we finally did it, it was an amazing feeling. I still remember how excited he was when we finally got it. He screamed with such relief and we finally got to sleep well. He was such a nice guy and we would have great conversations together. He was one of my bros in Destiny and was always nice to me. And when we got frustrated with the game for whatever reasons, we had some good laughs anyway. I will never forget him. He was a good dude.

RIP, my friend. You were the best in DGAF.

This screenshot was when I finally got the trophy and I'm happy Drizzay is in it:

B1t-0DhCAAMuHRY.jpg

Lnkn52 said:
Drizzay helped me achieve the impossible in Destiny.

But one thing that he and I shared was trying to make the OT nice and spiffy. I will miss the collaboration, I will miss my fan, I will miss my dear friend.

vXCMHA7.png

LTWood12 said:
There's so many memories, but having him on speed dial for HM Crota was so awesome. And then feeling like I'd 'made it' when he'd call on me to help him out with a group of newbies. Seeing so many people finally clear that hurdle and the screams of joy they got from it is just cemented forever in my memory.. He took so much joy from helping others, and anytime I'm able to do that now, I'm going to think about him.

See you at the lighthouse Doc,

LT

Macello said:
Anyone who knew him felt like they were his most important friends, that he would always show up to help if you put up the signal, because that's the kind of guy he was. His incredible gaming skills were insignificant compared to his quality as a person.

Mass Appeal said:
When I first started posting on DGAf around the time Crotas End raid came out, my real life friends had already quit Destiny because of numerous reasons but I still loved the game and wanted to continue playing. I was hesitant at first because I didn't feel like I could be welcomed. It was tough but I remember making my first post there about wanting to join a raid and Drizzy welcomed me with open arms to join one ot their raids.

I was immediately accepted by him as a member of the community and him explaining the mechanics of the raid floored me because of how genuine and kind he was even though I was a newer player. He never got frustrated by the numerous times we had to wipe because of me. Finishing that raid and hearing my excitement got him excited and that's something I will never forget.

The last afew years I have had some of the most memorable gaming experiences in my life. He and Wicked carrying me to the lighthouse in year one is probably one of the most amazing experiences in gaming for me. Drizzy pretty much saved Destiny for me when all my friends had quit.

Namikaze1 said:
I remember my raid group got stuck at Oryx for a long while and weekly reset was coming. We wanted to get our first Oryx kill before the raid reset for its very first time (this was during KF's first weekend) and some of us couldn't make it. I ended up joining a few others who got stuck at Oryx as well Saturday morning. Drizzay offered to help us out since he already cleared it. It took us 90 minutes on the Oryx encounter alone but we managed to bring down the king. I stuck around with Drizz that day for a second run. He ended up helping a couple more groups beat Oryx that weekend. Dude was always helping out others. Rest in peace, good doctor.

CPXk3qtUcAE3Jdq.jpg:orig

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
neoak said:
Night_Knight said:
"Just what the doctor ordered!"

MAcy0ZW.jpg

STORY TIME!

Setting:
It was my second time with Igor and Drizz in Trials of Osiris. I believe the setting was Asylum round 4. We were up by 3 wins and just storming the other team. Drizz just got his super and told Igor and me to hang back and crouch for radar pressure.

Light_Knight: "Radar pressure? What?"
Igor: "Stay crouched and behind cover near them"
Drizz: "Almost there"

Igor demonstrated and explained that we just have to fool the enemy team into thinking we were approaching. We stayed behind cover while Drizz snuck around from behind.

Drizz: "Let's go!"

That's when we heard "push push!", Drizz popped his super and we collapsed on the opposing team with a 3 pronged attack, terrifying our foes. They didn't stand a chance as our beloved Bladedancer spliced though our enemies.

Drizz: "Good shit Light, good shit Igor"

Light_Knight: "Wow... I didn't even know that was possible"

ocean said:
CgO9j7jUkAAVC6n.jpg

I helped him carry people through Skolas. He helped carry me to Mercury. He was there for my first Gjallarhorn in that HM CE run where I didn't realize I had the wrong armor on and I was like 3 levels below spec.

I sometimes went on party chat with him just to talk shit even if we weren't playing together at the time. He only raged at players he thought were good and could do better - he'd never bring someone down for being unskilled. He said, when we discussed CA$H4CROTA or paid Mercury carries, that he respected others making money off these things but he'd never truly understand it. That you should just do it for fun, or to help out, if you could.

He used the word community a lot, and he laughed beautifully.

I miss you, my friend.

optimus8936 said:
So one day in Y1 me and a buddy asked Drizz if he could do Skolas with us. He said "Yeah, sure, I'll help you after I do a couple Trials runs." we waited all day watching his stream while he was carrying people. I couldn't believe how he was able to stay so patient, even after failing a run, and he never lost his cool, never raged at the carry, I was amazed. I could never be mad at him because I knew he was busy helping other people and it would be selfish of me to think that he should help me first. I even brought this story up in a Twitch stream and we had ahold laugh about it. He made up for it by taking me to the lighthouse for my second Y2 flawless. RIP Drizz, your impact in DGAF will never be forgotten and always be treasured.

phen0m24 said:
One of the first few times I played with Dr Drizzay involved my son Josh. My insanely lucky offspring managed to get the exotic Thorn bounty, and he did the pvp part on his Vita. (How about that, Lt in training!) He finished that and the last part he needed to do was the Xyor strike. Yeah, he tried to solo it (still on that Vita) but to no avail. He asked me for help. I saw Drizz online, and hesitantly asked him if he could help.... my 10 year old. Drizz gave a patented "Yeah man! No worries!" and then Josh's Vita battery ran out. So here I am, running this strike with Drizz. Of course we finish it, I mean, this is Drizzay we're talking about. But I'll never forget how he spent time complimenting Josh - how amazing it was that he had done all that pvp by himself via Remote Play. Here's this guy that I barely know, and he's bragging about my son! He simultaneously managed to get the strike done (Thorn Y1 OP hype) and made me feel like I could fly. I learned an important lesson about encouragement that day - one that I will never forget as long as I live.

The fact that my son, now 12, counted that as his favorite memory of Allen as well - immediately brought this grown man to tears.

Lauren, you married a special man, one that I was proud to call my friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing him with us. Josh and I miss him already.

Rehsa said:
I will start with the two images I have (sadly, though more may be on my PS4 I dont know) of my one and only personal trip to the Lighthouse.
YWKpxDR.jpg

ZtxySoG.jpg

I am not good at PVP, so it took me a while to find the courage to ask Drizzay for a carry to the Lighthouse back in Y1. I have played PVE with him before but never PVP, though I watch the streams all the time at work. Him and Rubenov were carrying people all weekend and into Monday night, and it was finally my turn. We buy the card and boons and head to orbit. I am a nervous wreck, hand are sweaty moms spaghetti, and we are just queuing up. It is late and I can tell they are both exhausted, but they are willing to help. They tell me to make sure I am close by to get revives and to make sure I call out everything. First match goes as expected, I die immediately. I remember dying a lot, and Rubenov getting mad when I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not getting rezes, and Drizzay's exasperated sighs but always constructive criticism trying to help me get the feel of Trials. We had to restart the card a couple of times from losing right off the bat, but ended up going on a run to 8-0. Things were going great, I actually managed to contribute along the way getting some clutch kills and some "LETS FUCKING GO that's what I am talking about!" or "Good shit Moridhin". We were up 4-1 on Final Boss with no Mercy, then Rubenov got DC'ed. Drizz was like "It's OK these we got these guys". Except we didn't, because I was playing. They rushed us but he managed to take two of them out while dying and I would lose the 1v1. For 3 more matches.

Drizzay was a beast and almost took them all out for the win each time, and I was left to fail. Drizzay didn't get mad at me, he got mad at himself for not being able to take all 3 of them out to get me the final win. He was apologizing and berating himself for not being better even though I kept telling him it was OK and my fault, that is the kind of person he was. I was heartbroken and felt ashamed to have let him down and to have him blame himself compounded that feeling. They asked what I wanted to do then and I just told them maybe try for 1 more win for the bounty and call it, it was probably 2 AM and I wasn't going to ask for another card after that pitiful performance. We finished the bounty and Rubenov bounced, but I remember talking to Drizzay a bit and he said we would try again.

2 weeks later he set me up with XO and Private Hudson, he had to leave them to go help a friend finish a raid. They already had a few wins on a card, but considering my previous experience that didn't last long. We lost two and reset the card and boons, and was able to win a couple before losing again. Drizz finished helping in the raid and jumped back into Party Chat. Hudson decided to bounce and Drizz joined back up like the good guy machine he was. We got new cards (again :/) and off we went. We managed to go through this card and get a good final boss and won even with my abysmal performance. Again I managed to get some good kills or clutch rezes here and there and the praise from Drizzay made me feel like I was actually worth a damn. His calm and collected demeanor during the bad times, his joyful laughter and excitement during the good times made the experience the best thing in Destiny. That feeling of landing on Mercury, and his enthusiasm after doing this a million times and having to show me everything about it, the hidden room where you teabag the skeleton, the bouncy wall and finally the golden chest. I was probably one of his heaviest sacks to carry, and thanks to XO and Rubenov for putting up with it as well.

I still was't done with the Doc in Trials even though I never played, he stayed up late again and helped me get the Doctrine. Easy 7 wins and even though I had a worse KD than the two Lighthouse attempts, and he told me to save the card in case they got through everyone we could try for Mercury, but it never came to fruition. I was still grateful he helped me get one RODEO HYPE! He was even nice enough to run my account with the countless others for the Cat Emblem, and now I wish I would have played it myself with him. I wish I would have played more Trials with him to try to better myself but I didn't because I didn't want to be a burden even though he would never see it that way, and play more raids or run Skolass or PoE or anything.

RIP Boguester/DrDrizzay101/Allen, I am sad that I will never get to hear those exasperated sighs or "LETS FUCKING GO"s again. Thanks for the great times, few that they were.

Robdraggoo said:
Drizz was kind enough to help me to mercury on my birthday.

Although it wasn't the loot that was the present or important. It was getting to play trials with drizz. When you played with drizz you never felt like you were getting carried. He was always encouraging, patient and made you fill like you were contributing even though you barely were. But you always walked away better than you before.

Ruthless said:
I met Drizzay almost 2 years ago when most of DGAF was grouping up together to get the flawless raider achievement. Even though I didn't get mine

with him, I had run many practice attempts with him and learned a lot that helped me get it soon after. Sometime after Crota hard mode, I started

playing regularly with him and doing reset raids each week, which went on to be our weekly ritual and continued on until very recently.

All this time I've know Drizzay, he was always there to help out those who needed it, and inspired me to do the same. Our reset group shenanigans

were some of the best times I've had in the game and what kept me playing each week. Drizzay always seemed to have the right answer and correct

advice for any issues and his temperament was incredible. Where others would have rage quit, screamed or argued, he kept calm and kept on going

until the job was done.

Drizzay loved the fact that DGAF was made up of so many different people from various countries and backgrounds. He would have wanted and

cherished meeting as many people of the community as possible. When I went travelling and met some fellow DGAFers, he was probably more excited

than I was and wanted to hear everything about my experience with them.

The 17-hour blind raid we did is my most memorable event with him. Arguments and frustrations were trumped by teamwork and coordination. As hard

and taxing the challenge was, we got it done in the end, and straight after Drizzay went on to help others without even taking a break. Such was

his selfless nature and resolve to help the DGAF community. He always was the 'Last Guardian Standing'.

Raid Sherpa
Trials hero
Community leader
Reset brother
Mr. Destiny GAF
DrDrizzay101
Allen Mackey

The good times will always be remembered, the memories made will never be forgotten.

Rest in Peace...

scarletham said:
Drizz, the Fun Run couldn't have happened without you. Not really sure how you had the patience to watch me fail at the jumping ship puzzle 6-10 times a week. You were always there for me when the others had moved on. Sorry for all the times I'd push you off of platforms when you were AFK.

SheHateMe said:
owSEyTo.jpg

He is Legend.

I know I'm saying that now; bringing flowers for a person when they can't smell them, but I mean it: he is Legend.

I told him as much in our last interaction. Zoba (Twilight Gap) was holding a raffle in the OT for the next trip to Mercury, and I was picked. I felt like I'd won a million bucks; even with decades of FPS experience under my belt, I wasn't good enough to get to Mercury. I'd just be dead weight. (Or slightly above. I got a couple of kills on my trip.)

Not to Drizzay, though. He is Legend.

He told me to stay calm, play my position, call out whenever possible. Make every move better than your last move. Push when told, hold when asked. He never once made me feel bad for poking my head out from behind cover and getting it blown off. He simply told me that it was okay; I can and will get better. his voice was soothing, yet commanding. I watched move gracefully and with ease through 9 battles, each one more difficult than the last (except for Battle number 2: they quit once they saw his and Zoba's names. Free win.)

He is Legend.

We interacted before, mostly on the OT, but sometimes during the game we all love. He was with me on my first Oryx kill. He was assisting me with my only Skolas kill. (Even let me get the last hit. I'll never fight Skolas again.) He was always around to answer any question I might have. He was selfless. I asked him for 3 minutes; he gave me 30. He would've given DGAF everything he had to make sure we were the best community around.

And he did.

And he is Legend.

I said elsewhere that he is my Iron Lord for Y3, and I meant it. He was able to take a father and a husband who had limited time to play Destiny to the Lighthouse in under 2 hours. He never once yelled at me or made me feel less than. He actually encouraged me to spend my time getting better. I will always remember him for his grace under fire, for his time sacrificed to the community, and for his everlasting presence in Destiny GAF. I hope to be even a fourth of the person that he was to everybody: in game or not.

He. IS. Legend.

Now and forever.

Shiv47 said:
I didn't get to play with Drizz very much at all, only a couple of times, but he was always gracious, especially the first time, which was running through Skolas before TTK dropped, as I was trying to get my Y1 Triumphs. Now, I had played the game at launch for about 2.5 months, but having been a strictly solo gamer up to that point in time, I never bothered hooking up with Gaf folks to do stuff. My involvement with DGAF was basically looking every once in a while at the threads as they frenetically moved along. Solo play was boring, and so I quit in early November.

Come the next August, the hype for TTK started to intrigue me, and I re-purchased the game and the DLC, and quickly became addicted, particularly as I had now begun reading the OT. I started doing stuff with GAF members, and closing in on my Triumphs, of which Drizz was kind enough to help out with Skolas. Trouble was, at that point in time, I'd only been playing again for a couple weeks, and I was pure garbage (compared to now, where I embody solid mediocrity). During that Skolas run, I was truly, truly abysmal, but Drizz held it together for us, killing literally 10 times the enemies I did, endlessly encouraging us, and getting us through what must have been a pretty difficult run. I just found his post where he saluted our achievement, and he wrote that it was "a slightly more exciting run, haha. Nevertheless finished Skolas off in no time at all." He was being very kind there, needless to say. I don't recall him once getting upset at my (in retrospect) almost insulting level of scrubbiness, and I have always been grateful for that.

He helped me get my Black Spindle in the fall, and then, this past spring, he started carrying people's accounts through Trials so we non-pros could get the grimoire and loot, and as my crucible skill is far from good enough for getting through the massive sweatfest that Trials became, I was one of the folks he very kindly spent time doing this for. He messaged me that he could run my account one Friday night, and the next day, I woke up to discover he and the other two GAF pros (shoutouts to Vaalbar and Falifax) spent FIVE hours getting my account to Mercury. It may not have meant much to those guys, having done it however many times, but it meant, and still means, a lot to me. That is serious dedication to helping people out, and after I effusively praised them in the OT, Drizz modestly said it was no big deal. I got the Bastet emblem from the run, of course, but I've generally not worn it, because I myself didn't earn it, and it felt wrong to wear it, like I was an impostor. But I'll wear it more now, if only to honor the memory of a guy who gave so much and so freely.

SlenderBeans said:
I unfortunately don't have any screenshots since I had to factory reset my PS4 a while back, but I do remember doing a Crota's End run back when hard mode released. He was the most patient and forgiving player I had ever seen. Even when one of the randoms kept getting angry because of the wipes, Drizzay never faltered and never once blamed anyone for messing up, whether it was their fault or even the lag. Nothing but encouragement from the man. He is one of the main reasons I continue to play Destiny and I continue to strive to be a better member of the DGAF community. RIP Drizzay.

stb said:
My best "memory" of Drizz isn't one specific occurance, but the various times he helped me raid team on HM Crota. We'd struggle for a while and finally have to call in the big gun. Drizz would appear, sword Crota like a fucking ninja not once, but as many times as we needed to get everyone their clears (including the person who gave up their spot to make room for him to join), then take off into the ether to go help more folks like some sort of goddamn superhero.

He was also on deck to help me get my Skolas clear for Y1 Triumphs. I was dreading doing it; I genuinely hated the encounter, but knowing guys from my raid team wanted to help me do it, and Drizz was standing by in case he needed to bail me out really removed any excuse I had not to do it. Even when he wasn't DIRECTLY helping, he was still helping just by being there TO help if I needed it.

Stephen_drewz said:
My most memorable moment with our Guardian Lord Drizz was goofing around in the Lighthouse and having a laugh after he helped me through a tough card to get me flawless for the first time. R.I.P Buddy.

T-44 said:
I remember using GAF for the first time because I was looking for someone to do the nightfall or something with and LT was busy. I'd played with Drizz many times but didn't know him as Boguester. So I made my very first post asking for help and 'Boguester' said he would join me. Then LT texted me that I had hit the jackpot, and I was like 'what?' Then he said 'that's drizzay!!'

I was so pumped!

Teasing_Pink said:
Shortly after I first booted up Destiny, I took a look at the trophy list, and one stood out for me in particular, "Flawless Raider". I immediately wrote this one off as nigh impossible, and continued on. While I was on GAF at the time, I wasn't an active member of DGAF. I ended up taking a long hiatus from Destiny the day the Vault of Glass opened, after my raid group got about halfway before disbanding, intending to reconvene, but never doing so.

Having preordered the Legendary Edition of Destiny, I returned after House of Wolves released, figuring I may as well get my money's worth and check out these expansions I had already bought. When I came back, I started getting more involved with DGAF, and was pleased to find a great community. One of my earliest groups with DGAF (and my first with Drizzay) was a flawless Crota run for the trophy. I answered one of Drizzay's posts looking for fireteam members, and was off. As you can see in the screenshot, this would end up being only my fourth successful raid completion. I was extremely green.

The entire time I was just trying to keep up and not ruin the whole thing for everyone. Drizzay on the other hand was the avatar of calm, collected patience. He explained every encounter, wrangled us when the shit hit the fan on the bridge, and buoyed our spirits through the close calls. Before I knew it, once last call for rockets went out (and me with my Corrective Measure, hah), and he cut down Crota. First try flawless, and in the end, it felt like it was easy with Drizzay as a sherpa. The "nigh impossible" achievement, and there it was. He thanked us for the run, congratulated us on the good teamwork, and excused himself, off to help another group. I left knowing the run inside and out, hyped for the trophy, and happy to have met some more great people along the way. I stuck around with DGAF and Destiny, and I know my enjoyment of the game wouldn't be a fraction of what it is without the wonderful community Drizzay helped build and epitomized.

It's easy to lionize people when they are gone, but I don't think that's possible with Drizzay. Humble, helpful, kind, and a genuinely good human being; none of that is an exaggeration. That was clear from just small interactions with him through the lens of Destiny. He will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him, family, friends, and guardians in arms alike.

HYKIYDl.jpg

TheAquaticApe said:
CqgguloXYAAIwf8.jpg

Just wanted to add this contribution for Drizzay. I will always remember him for his sense of humor and ability to make me laugh at the little things.

Thanks.

thelongdarkrivers said:
DrDrizzay101 said:
Another first-try-first-timer, congrats to darkistheway on his first clear! Couldn't have been smoother once the silent assassin drassill joined up to help.

CNTxSQzUAAI3SCF.jpg:large

From almost a year ago, back in OT 28.

I don't know what else to do. This is my tribute to him. He got me my Year One Triumph and he did it pretty much by himself. I loved that he thought to take a picture.

drassill had no mic so we pulled the essence off him whenever he danced. It was fun and totally chill. If you happen to die, Drizzay would just say "no worries, we're fine" and he would revive you next rotation. I was in awe of his skill and his willingness to help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheWorthyEdge said:
Hey Hawkian. Hate to be PMing you on such a sad occasion but I'd like to say a few things as tribute to Drizzay:

When I came back to Destiny in the Summer of '15 after a long 6 month break of the game I had no clue where to start. I was lost. I had a few Gaffers help me out here and there and then the time came. I was ready to venture into the Vault of Glass.

I was on GAF at the time and I found a sherpa that would take a group of us that had never done the VoG before. His name was Drizzay. My group slowly (and I emphasize slowly) adventured down into the abyss as Drizzay showed us the way. We were all in awe, and that awe was elevated by the narration and anecdotes of the man himself. He was personable, he was our savior a couple times xD and more importantly he was a good person who never got frustrated when we screwed up. And we did. A lot.

A couple weeks go by and Namikaze is asking people to try and flawless a HM VoG. I signed up because I thought it would be a good time. Drizzay signed up as well and I was so excited to be back playing with him yet again. My first VoG was with him, and now the Flawless HM was going to be with him. Seemed fitting. It was only my 5th VoG ever so I was terrified because I sure as hell did not want to be the one to screw everything up.

We did it. The greatest achievement and moment in my gaming history. The satisfaction of it all was astounding, and I was so happy Drizzay was there for both moments.

Drizzay is what we call a friend, a gamer, and a legend. He was everything, and he helped with everything. Nothing was about him, it was always helping others and that's what makes a hero a hero, and a legend a legend. Someone who's there for everyone when they need him to be.

Because of Drizzay's passing I'm honoring him by jumping back in. After 6 months I feel now is better than ever to jump back into the fray, and fight the darkness for Drizzay.

RIP Drizzay. Forever a friend, forever a legend, forever a Guardian.
- TheWorthyEdge

thoseAREmySHOES said:
I've always been more of a NeoGAF lurker rather than an avid poster and contributor, especially on the Gaming Community side. I don't have a job with downtime where I can easily keep up with all of the threads I want to. But, from the very beginning, even with how fast the first 35+ Destiny OTs moved, I always managed to keep up, primarily because of the incredibly helpful and inclusive community.

I wanted to specify that, as someone who watched a lot of the Destiny OTs from the sidelines and unfortunately never had the chance to play with Drizz himself, it was almost even more apparent how much of a pillar of the community he was. I felt as though every page either included someone thanking Drizz for his assistance, or at the very least had Drizz setting up a group or volunteering to help someone out. His level of dedication to making DestinyGAF one of the best communities on the site was unparalleled. Whether it was never giving up in getting someone to The Lighthouse, to his countless Skolas runs for Year 1 Moment of Triumphs, to his recent efforts to get as many people Flawless Raider as possible, the man was as close to altruistic as you can feasibly be when it comes to his commitment to helping others. He was the absolute definition of dependable. All of this was entirely apparent just from reading the OTs. I feel like that, alone, is what made him stand out. When someone's presence is so readily felt without even having played with him, there aren't many other words to describe someone other than legendary.

May you rest in peace, Drizz, and know that the thousands of us on NeoGAF, both in the Destiny community and outside of it, will not forget the incredible impact you had on us.

utsavinheaven said:
Prior to house of Wolfe's ,I was mainly a lurker in dgaf and no idea who drizzay was.
My fire team had disbanded and I needed to reach lvl 34 on my hunter and also beat skolos
For y1 not.that is when deathjr introduced me to drizzay,who at the time I thought was also someone looking for y1 not.
He helped me and some other dgaf person thru skolos and guided us with a patience and strong leadership.even after a many mistakes in boss battle against skolas he was cool calm and composed.the win was very important moment in my destiny experience, but little did I know it was one of the few honours I would have running missions with such a legend.
You will be missed a lot.shine among the stars guardian lord.

V1ctim said:
Hi Hawk,

Here is a screenshot of the second time I went flawless in Trials.

JgjTQxp.jpg

Drizz got booted to orbit so me and Inapplicable had to win one round alone. Drizz was annoyed but thrilled to see we pulled through in the 2v3 situation. It was a proud moment for me and it made me feel worthy of the company I was in. He never made me feel like he was "doing a carry". He was instructive and offered loads of constructive criticism that sticks with me to this day. His voice was always soothing and his comments on Gaf were incredibly thoughtful and in depth. I'll miss him an awful lot. Destiny from here on out will never feel the same. I'm glad those of us who are left will try our best to engender the same culture of acceptance, encouragement, and fun that he did.

WipedOut said:
This was our Complete Trials Run and MY only trip to Mercury on PS4 thanks to drizz, Throughout you can hear the patience this guy had. One of a kind man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAHjFWNrHAc

XenoRaven said:
I don't know if I have an amazing story that compares to some of the others on GAF, but I have a recent memory that will probably stick with me forever now.

I, along with several others, are trying to knock out our Moments of Triumph before RoI hits. Part of that is getting Challenge Mode done. Last week was Golgoroth. Drizz had told us he'd help out, but when it came time to go it was obvious he didn't want to. I tried really hard to find anyone to replace him that was experience enough to walk us through the fight, but I couldn't. Drizz bit the bullet and joined us.

I wouldn't considered Drizz and I best friends or anything, but I feel like I know him well enough to know his mood by the tone of his voice. It felt like he would have rather been anywhere else at the time. But not only did he still help us, he maintained a calm, pleasant, and positive demeanor throughout the entire raid.

To me, that's such a strong reflection of what Drizz means to our community. Willing to help even when he didn't really feel up to it. A bastion of patience and positivity regardless of circumstance.

He's someone we should really all strive to be. He leaves a massive hole in this community that no one person can fill. It's up to all of us to learn from his example and carry this community forward in his honor.

I miss you already Drizz.

X-Frame said:
I had trouble deciding which memory of Drizz to choose from, but ultimately I think the most appropriate one is the truest testament to his character and that was him Sherpa'ing me and another random through Skolas, around this time last year, for the Year 1 Moments of Triumph.

After setting up the day and time, I got home to log on and join him only to find out that he was already in Prison of Elders and was solo'ing all the pre-Skolas rounds! I was shocked. Those early rounds of Skolas are boring and long and grindy -- yet he wanted us to avoid that and get right to the good part, and save US the trouble.

We ended up beating Skolas no problem, first try, and I got my loot and emblem and completed my Moments of Triumph, all thanks to him.

Then, he left to meet up with another 2 people who he was taking through Skolas after us. On and on until he ended up clearing it over 100 times for the community before the deadline. Absolutely mind-blowing.

xplicitone said:
I've spent the majority of my year 2 helping the community get flawless, and DrDrizzay101 was the biggest part of that. We made lists and had countless nights helping people get their first ever Flawless, first Year 2 Flawless for the Hic Jaket before it went away on April 12th, 2016, and first Cat Emblem afterwards. We did it on both PS4 and XB1 to encompass the entire DGAF community. We would also do it to help others get more comfortable with PvP and Trials, for those that wanted to improve. The lists would get so long at times that we would then ask if people only cared about the emblem/loot if it would be ok to use their accounts so we could help everyone more efficiently. DrDrizzay101 never hesitated to help in any way, shape or form that can benefit the most people, and he took pure joy in doing so. He was that guy.

I've had many fun nights with him during these sessions, many late nights that I never regretted. He taught me so much during these runs. We'd not only talk about Destiny, but many other games, along with personal subjects and he would always know what to say. He would always join my streams and he'd hype up the chat and it always felt good to have him around. Playing and communicating with him for almost 2 years was something I enjoyed greatly. I considered him one of my closest friends. I miss him so much.

My First Flawless Raid [January 11, 2015]:
Y9hYF6X.jpg

Drizzay's last Trials run / Flawless Trials / Lighthouse visit - August 12, 2016
Ku67GLn.png

--

Still others have offered condolences or thoughts on the passing of this legend.
DGAF_2016-Drizzay_09.jpg

And his stats speak for themselves:
Drizzay_Stat.png

--

A message from JohnOfMars and Hawkian on his legacy and the thread title, which was first mentioned to igordennis by Drizz himself in jest, but has new relevance today...

We have, each of us, only a finite amount of time in this universe. We don't know how long that will be. We can't know how long it will be.

To embrace the not-knowing is to bear this in mind, and rather than allowing it to paralyze you, let this knowledge fill you with a sense of purpose. If any moment may be your last, then even a moment cannot be wasted. Every day is an opportunity to enrich the lives of those around you in whatever way you can. Any way that you can.

As you can see from the stats above, Dr. Drizzay was an exceptional player in every part of Destiny. But Drizz was more than just talented. More than just dedicated. Every minute of every hour of every day he spent in this community, he lived in a way that made it better. Doling out information to those that needed it. Ensuring other people enjoyed themselves. Giving them the best possible chance to succeed. Preventing our little community from getting (too) salty. With boundless patience and true humility he embraced the not-knowing, and simply made our lives better for being a part of his.

Now it's up to us to do the same. If you're here, you're one of us. Answer a call to help with a Nightfall or a story mission. Take an extra moment to hand out some info or a compliment. Jump into a raid when you know you can give the fireteam a shot at coming out victorious. And don't ever be afraid to ask for help, even if you're new. Take every chance you encounter to make any given moment just a little bit better for someone else in this community. You don't have to be a raid master, or a Trials hero, but you can help and be helped.

We cannot replace Dr. Drizzay, but we can carry on his legacy.

All of us are in pain, in mourning. The sadness may only fade with time. But embracing the not-knowing—and the good that comes from this community—that's how the good Doctor will live on in all of us. That's how we make sure his Legend never dies.

Eyes up, Guardians.​

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_05.png

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_06.png

NeOak

(Posting this here since I was not able to submit it in time for Hawkian to include it in the OP)

My first time playing with Drizz was one of those times back during House of Wolves when he offered to do flawless raider trophies. I posted, not knowing who Drizz was back then except noticing he was the one posting the OTs instead of Hawkian when I returned from the break I took during The Dark Below.

Drizz scrubbed out the initial pillars part, so we had to go to orbit and try again. We just talked in party chat meanwhile. Well, "talked". I just listened since I didn't really know any of the others that were in there. After a while, we finally got to Crota, got our Gjallys ready and the result was as expected:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/w0u0mhy.jpg[/img]

I was surprised. But more than that, I was impressed: here was a single man doing 90% of the effort to get us that trophy just to help.

I'll never forget the admiration I felt that day.

The Taken King launched, and I was playing with real life friends at the time, but also started to run things more with people from DestinyGAF. It was during that time how I came to really see how Drizz tried his best to help the community as much as he could. But, he was growing frustrated with how Card Based Matchmaking was making Trials of Osiris more difficult and, overall, a mess due to the lag.

I was familiar with it when playing with some of my real life friends. How once you hit 6 wins with no losses, the game matches you with anyone from around the world that has the same score in their card as you. However, Drizz did not believe that Bungie could be so careless with Trials of Osiris to do that. So, I offered to show him how Card Based Matchmaking was working while we did a flawless run.

He agreed to do so, and he brought along with him igordennis for the task. That was the first time I played with igordennis.

As expected, the early matches were not bad. The Netduma had been able to match us with close teams, so the only one that had some latency was igordennis due to where he lives. But no matter that, they eliminated enemy teams with ease.

Then we hit 6 wins with no loses.

The first team we faced, we had no problem with them. We were now 7-0.

I do not remember where we lost the mercy boon, but I do remember that we would have to win the last two matches in order to get to the Lighthouse. First, the team we faced for our 8th win had two guys in the US and a single guy in Australia. The first two had green bars, but that last one was a bad red bar. Yet his ping was overall something like 260ms. He gave igordennis the most problem. We were able to defeat them.

Time for Final Boss: Two guys in the US with decent ping, with one guy in Peru. With 900ms ping.

It was a clutch match because I ended up as the only one alive in one of rounds and managed to melee the Peruvian guy for us to be at 4 wins. Then Drizz and igor finished them off.

Unfortunately, Drizz was disillusioned with how Trials of Osiris was, and that match was the final straw that soured him on running them every weekend. After that, he took some time off from Trials of Osiris, and came back when he started to do runs to get as much people as possible the Hic Jacket emblem that was going to be retired with the April 2016 update.

Watching that effort was rewarding. And painful. Drizz was frustrated with how the game matched fireteams, and while he was able to get many people their emblems, he was burned out after all that effort.

I had been entertaining the idea of doing a community drive to get Drizz a Netduma so he could have less laggy teams in his matches, but when I was going to ask: I got banned from GAF. For a month.

During that month, I could see what would become Drizz's true enemy while he played Destiny: Netflix. Whenever his wife opened Netflix, he would be disconnected from the match, and could not return to the game or it became unplayable if he was able to connect back. With this, I was determined to get him a new router before he was able to buy one, so when I returned from my ban, I mentioned the idea of getting Drizz a Netduma in the thread to see the reactions. They seemed positive, so it was time to ask the man himself to see what he thought:

9xUa7x4.png

OlRmDIG.png

X5KsPi6.png

7ulesFL.png

Ap7DVVH.png

oMOwfFE.png

With that said, I started the GoFundMe. People donated and we had more than enough 5 hours into the drive.

One of the best kept memories I have during that drive was when Drizz playing with Ape. Ape was streaming, so I went to his stream and linked the GoFundMe. More people donated, but it was Ape's and Drizz's interaction in the voice chat that was memorable. I do not remember the exact words, however, I do remember Ape telling Drizz that he was going to donate. Drizz thanked Ape, but then told him that he did not have to donate to the GoFundMe. Ape replied that it was not a problem, that all his effort was appreciated and that it was his way of showing his appreciation for what Drizz did.

Ape was not the only one writing words of appreciation and support for Drizz. Many did in the GoFundMe as well as in the OT. I mentioned it to him during one of the several talks we had to set everything up. He was surprised, but he was thankful and knew that people appreciated what he did for all of us.

The GoFundMe was over, and despite a couple dissenters in the OT (u got rektd lol), everything went well. Drizz sent me his personal information over PM and included his cellphone number just in case. It was the first time I had seen his real name: Allen.

With that, I was able to order the Netduma, an extra router and some Ethernet cables that he said he could use. But when I made the Netduma order, I added this:

hS7515e.png

(He told me later on that they did write that when he got it.)

I ordered the extra router (a TP-Link Archer C7 in case you were wondering) and the cables from Amazon with Next Day delivery. As soon as I got the tracking number, I sent it to him. This is his reply:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/PJABjLG.png[/img]

I mentioned that the Netduma would get there a few days later, so he wrote back:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/91o4uU9.png[/img]

The first router arrived and the set up process started. I had to explain Drizz how to use Discord for voice chat, and this is the image I have of that time:

rdW94Ro.png

I guided Drizz through how to configure his modem, set up the router, connect everything, install DD-WRT on the router, and get everything up and running. And so, the trial by fire came: He opened Netflix on an iPad while we were playing a random Crucible match.

Success!

Now he would not be disconnected from Destiny, He continued playing more that week, while we kept in touch over Discord for the Netduma being delivered. Finally, DHL was going to deliver it... and he wasn't home!

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/qww8PcJ.png[/img]

Success x2!

But it would take a few days before he had time to set it up:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7utMfNj.png[/img]

We got again on voice chat in Discord, and I explained to him how to set it up. I sent pictures of my configuration and we tested it. It worked no problems, and after that, he would use the Netduma to play. It did not eliminate completely the problem of lag switchers, but it made his Crucible and Trials of Osiris matches more bearable when it came to latency.

I am proud that I was able to start something that allowed all of us to show him how much we appreciated him and how thankful we were to him for all his dedication and help he gave to anyone that asked. He was aware, and our gratitude made him more resolute in his dedication to the community. He expressed much more about it during our voice chats, and he was looking forward to streaming again, which he did the last few months.

We played with him the July Iron Banner where he did use his Netduma. Here is one of those matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DHRA2aEgs

He had bought a capture card to start streaming more often, and had asked Kadey and me for advice. I was waiting for him to tell me when he wanted to set it up, but sadly that will never happen now.

Fast forward to last month, August 2016, and the last thing I sent him was this:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/cbS1XSh.png[/img]

He did watch it as far as I know. I'm glad he was able to see that #BlameVaal run.

It is hard to write about someone that is lost, but whoever has read up until now: Thank you. I wanted to share that we indeed had been able to show him while he was alive that we cared for him and we appreciated him both in game as well as the man he was outside of it: Wise beyond his years.

But, I can't resist the chance to make a joke out of a bad situation with the intent of making people laugh, and since it was taking me too long to write this story for Hawkian to include it in the OP, I could not resist one last time to make people laugh... or salty :p

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/cH7NnTF.png[/img]

And so, Discord lit up:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MIEErTP.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ciqM5VP.png[/img]

<3

Phenomenal OT. It's almost impossible to express how much he really meant to our community, but this does a pretty damn good job.

Thanks for the memories Drizz.

noomi

This really is the most amazing community. OT is perfect.

Drizz will be missed but never forgotten.

DGAF is best GAF

A fitting tribute to a cornerstone of our community. Let us all strive to do our best to emulate the best qualities of the good Doctor moving foward.

GutZ31

Thank you Hawkian, Lnkn, John, and many, many others for making this thread.

Drizzay, you will be missed. I hope you knew we cared, even just a little.
Sleep well Guardian, until next time.

Thank you for everything, Drizz. Your dedication to the community is unparalleled and you’ll be sorely missed. The game won't be the same without you and we can only try to honor your memory by helping each other to the best of our abilities. Your knowledge and positivity was an invaluable resource; rest well Guardian.

Beautiful work on the OT.

ocean

Banned
What a beautiful job - the Doc deserved no less.

You'll be in our hearts and thoughts forever old friend.

Utterly amazing OT. Thanks to everyone that contributed.

Couldn't help but notice Drizz's longest session in one day was 31 hours. So good at Destiny he broke the boundaries of space and time. Must be all the time he spent in the Vault of Glass.

Top Bottom