• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

Here I was getting all excited about a new RE game after 3DS's Revelations (which I LOVED), and this sounds like it's going to be a big pile of RE crap. They ALMOST got me with the sweet-looking CG stuff too. Damn the RE games are fantastic at that.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/resident-ev...dent-evil-orc-multiplayer-tournament-6350437/

As much as I dislike gamespot, I was starving for some RE: ORC footage, and I watched a fair amount of this tournament that they had. It's hard to get an accurate impression of the game because of all the people yelling and talking over the gameplay, but it doesn't look broken by any means. It doesn't look like anything new or mindblowing as far as third person shooters go, but it still looks like a solid game. Has familiar RE elements, but some of the standard stuff you'd want to see in a TPS. Hopefully it'll be fun to play.

hmm, really? Movement looks very floaty. Enemies seem to have no reaction to bullets. Absolutely terrible sound effects.

consoul

What's the worst rated RE game? Cuz I think this might have a chance at the title.
Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica. Rated worse than Gaiden. And rightly so. Dead Aim was good. Nothing wrong with RE3 either.

I have a promo copy of ORC coming in the mail now. Not expecting much to be honest. I'm a huge RE fan though, so I've been working hard to keep my expectations low for this one in order to avoid bitter disappointment.

Cels

I see this as a solid 7/10 game. Not some revelaiton in gameplay, but a solid shooter that takes dead aim at the CoD crowd.

Foffy

Banned
Edit:Just noticed the writing on the patch is backwards lol

Oh wow...:p

Two of my friends plan on renting the game, but they expect the worst. I'm not a hardcore RE fan, but this seems so alien to regular RE games...like, why does someone have the ability to turn their gun on fire? D:

smr00

Banned
in case anyone is wondering:

Reviews

Some euro mag - 3/10
Same place gave SSX a 5/10.

Their opinion towards anything gaming related is completely invalid to me. Anyways it's obvious this isn't going to be some 9/10 game but i will be damned if the multiplayer doesn't look fun.

d0c_zaius

Got the 360 version last night. There are some bugs and control issues, and some textures can look pretty low rez.

However it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully more people get it today and over the weekend so I have people to play campaign with. I think I was the only person in the country searching for a game last night.

Its like a b-movie game, something to enjoy for what it is and laugh at what doesnt work, while having a good time with buddies. But I'm a huge fan of the old RE games, so the fanservice goes a long way for me.

Teknoman

Straight up garbage. I can't believe that's all they came up with.

The other posts there show why I dont like when CG trailers are used to represent games. At least mix it in with real gameplay.

I'll probably rent the 360 version since it is Resident Evil. I think this is just going to add fuel to the fire of wanting an REmake2 much like Darkside chronicles.

Ryn

Wow. I just noticed all the spelling errors in the thread title.

Probably going to end up renting 2 copies of this for co-op. Kinda weary of this game but it's an RE title so I'm inexplicably drawn to it.

Ken

Got the 360 version last night. There are some bugs and control issues, and some textures can look pretty low rez.

However it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully more people get it today and over the weekend so I have people to play campaign with. I think I was the only person in the country searching for a game last night.

Its like a b-movie game, something to enjoy for what it is and laugh at what doesnt work, while having a good time with buddies. But I'm a huge fan of the old RE games, so the fanservice goes a long way for me.
Any progression or leveling system to keep you playing?

Is it kind of like L4D where you move from point to point killing zombies?

sleepykyo

Am I blind or does the OP not mention which platforms this game will be on?

PS3, 360. PC in may I think.

Nemesis mode exclusive to the 360.
The ps3 version runs at sub cinematic frame rates and is filled with rampant tearing if that recent Valentine tournament footage was an indicator.

d0c_zaius

Any progression or leveling system to keep you playing?

Is it kind of like L4D where you move from point to point killing zombies?

Yup, theres xp to earn and unlockable perks/powers.

Its less like L4D and more like Uncharted 2/3, at least in the beginning. You move from point to point killing enemies (not just zombies), and then there are cutscenes and story moments.

PS3, 360. PC in may I think.

Nemesis mode exclusive to the 360.
The ps3 version runs at sub cinematic frame rates and is filled with rampant tearing if that recent Valentine tournament footage was an indicator.

I played bother versions before deciding which to buy, but I have to mention that I didn't notice heavy screen tearing when I was playing the PS3 version. I got a chance to play an earlier build, and there was tons of tearing (although I only was able to check by rotating the camera in one room). So I am assuming they must have improved it a lot before the final rev. I can't speak on the FPS as the area I played wasnt really a good place to stress test, but the 360 frame rate seems solid.

Ah man I am still getting this day 1 but it is still very disheartening how so little people care for this and are saying the story is not good. I don't have very high expectations but I just hope the gameplay is playable and I just enjoy the RE elements.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OP gives Capcpom's proper name, but typos Slant Sux. WTF, CVX?

Why didn't they do - at the very least - a private beta?

Because if it is anything like Socom: Constipation it'll be fucking broke ALL beta long and STILL BROKE two years after "launch."

Someone can fall on this turd's grenade for me. I'll pass until it bombs to $5 or less.

Aspiring

Just got this months game informer and they gave it a 6. They say it's a really bad L4D clone. Im not sure about this but will keep my preorder anyway.

TheSeks

Game looks fantastic, and everyone loved it at E3. Not sure what's up with the hate in this thread.

Some of us got into the Socom beta, couldn't even fucking PLAY or attempt to beta test the game since it failed to connect to servers 24/7. Got the game for free months later, saw the busted controls, saw the busted gameplay, saw the busted gunplay and turned the game off. Attempted to replay it two years later after patching the game 10+ times and it's still broke as hell with slightly tweaked but shit controls.

Anyone expecting this to be good has either never played Socom Confrontation or are delusional. Fullstop.

Some of us got into the Socom beta, couldn't even fucking PLAY or attempt to beta test the game since it failed to connect to servers 24/7. Got the game for free months later, saw the busted controls, saw the busted gameplay, saw the busted gunplay and turned the game off. Attempted to replay it two years later after patching the game 10+ times and it's still broke as hell with slightly tweaked but shit controls.

Anyone expecting this to be good has either never played Socom Confrontation or are delusional. Fullstop.

Ok, but this isn't SOCOM Confrontation. I imagine (read: hope) that Slant Six learned from their mistakes 4 years ago and made a better game this time around.

TheSeks

Ok, but this isn't SOCOM Confrontation. I imagine (read: hope) that Slant Six learned from their mistakes 4 years ago and made a better game this time around.

Except everything that I've seen has shown they haven't.

But hey, at least now people aren't stuttering and then lagging around before throwing their grenade, so that's a step-up for Slant Sux at least.

Top Bottom