• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit Cards & Finances |OT| Rewards, Cash Back, APR, & More!

Husker86

It also doesn't impact your personal credit score. You are developing a business credit score with that card.

So I probably should have used my Sole Proprietorship EIN, huh? I was about to, but it specifically said "If Sole Proprietorship, use SSN".

Ah well...

NeOak

So I probably should have used my Sole Proprietorship EIN, huh? I was about to, but it specifically said "If Sole Proprietorship, use SSN".

Ah well...

On the flip side, you could get a second business card easily using the EIN this time :O

Syriel

Ah well...

Sole Prop doesn't usually have an EIN since it's a pass-thru for personal taxes.

If you had a LLC, you'd use an EIN.

Ashhong

no sign up bonus... it's the Chase Freedom 5% category for this quarter.

Wal Mart and department stores.

unless you regularly shop at Wal Mart, it's quite a useless benefit.

I was just kidding with you because I thought you had posted about Walmart in the wrong thread =P

Yes. I spoke to them yesterday. No problem changing the date. Put em all on the same day.

Nice, that'll make it much more convenient

Hero

Hey guys, need some advice.

So I got LASIK done about two months ago and the place I went through has a 2 year no interest financing, which is pretty much a credit card. I applied to it and got it, but because of the high amount it's pushing my monthly total utilization up over 30%. Should I do something like pay off a decent chunk of what I owe (like 1000 out of the 4000, 25%) right away just to lower the credit utilization or does that really not matter that much?

NeOak

So I got LASIK done about two months ago and the place I went through has a 2 year no interest financing, which is pretty much a credit card. I applied to it and got it, but because of the high amount it's pushing my monthly total utilization up over 30%. Should I do something like pay off a decent chunk of what I owe (like 1000 out of the 4000, 25%) right away just to lower the credit utilization or does that really not matter that much?

I mean, it will hit your score for a few points (YMMV though) until the % goes down. No point in stressing unless you are about to take a big loan like for buying a house or a car.

Just check what your FICO/Vantage/e-penis score was before the % went up compared to now, and decide if it is too much for your liking.

Syriel

If you want to lower your utilization, just apply for another card. Once you have enough credit, you never have to worry about utilization again.

Ashhong

If you want to lower your utilization, just apply for another card. Once you have enough credit, you never have to worry about utilization again.

But the score is also affected by the utilization per card from what I can tell.

If you have the money I say pay off what you can. If you need the money then don't stress about the utilization and just pay off the payments.

Syriel

But the score is also affected by the utilization per card from what I can tell.

If you have the money I say pay off what you can. If you need the money then don't stress about the utilization and just pay off the payments.

Barely. I've maxed out cards (95% utilization) on a single card when they had sweet 0% interest promos and the impact on my score was negligible (well within the regular monthly point swing) so long as I kept the total under the magic 10% line.

You'll see a slightly bigger shift in the 10-30% range, but keeping it under 30% total should still keep you in a good place.

Nothing wrong with applying for cards and just building the overall credit line.

Ashhong

Barely. I've maxed out cards (95% utilization) on a single card when they had sweet 0% interest promos and the impact on my score was negligible (well within the regular monthly point swing) so long as I kept the total under the magic 10% line.

You'll see a slightly bigger shift in the 10-30% range, but keeping it under 30% total should still keep you in a good place.

Nothing wrong with applying for cards and just building the overall credit line.

Hm, I notice a big change when my balance on one card goes up, even though my total utilization is under 5% total. I think like close to 10 points. I could be remembering wrong though.

But yea, nothing wrong with getting more and more cards.

JEKKI

Walmart is still the worst store ever.

I went back today to another one.

the bad news is a fight almost broke out; a disgruntled customer was screaming obscenities at some of the employees and banging stuff...

the good news is I got my watermelon switch!!!!

but the bad news again is apparently the return period on gaming hardware is only 15 days?!?!?!

I bought this off impulse! I don't even know if I want it, and wanted to spend the next 90 days debating whether or not to keep it!!!

plus it's like $100 more expensive than the regular and Carly Rae Jepsen versions of the system!

but do the math...

$400;

get 5% back in credit points, so $20... but that credit is worth $30 when redeemed for a flight to wherever the next Carly Rae concert is.

and apparently Splatoon 2 comes with the system! but on a DLC card that sells on ebay for about $45.

So technically spending about $325 for the system, which I think is good??

actually not good... I got my PS4 for waaaaay cheaper lol. Came in a special bundle which I sold off all items... AND redeemed a special AMEX newegg cash back bonus for buying it from there lol.

JEKKI

yeay, you pay the premium for the watermelon controllers.

I had no intention of getting the new Nintendo any time soon, but the watermelon made me do it.

apparently joycons alone cost like $80... the heck is that?!?!

and it comes with a case too! I can probably sell that for a few bucks too

Ashhong

yeay, you pay the premium for the watermelon controllers.

I had no intention of getting the new Nintendo any time soon, but the watermelon made me do it.

apparently joycons alone cost like $80... the heck is that?!?!

and it comes with a case too! I can probably sell that for a few bucks too

Absolute worst case scenario you can return it using Chase Return Protection. I had the pink and green set and returned it because I didn’t see any resale value in it. It wasn’t even selling out online

I'm really new to this so I apologize if my questions have been answered before.

I went through a very rough patch years ago. Credit cards were taken out in my name that I didn't know about and I had student loan debt piling up that I couldn't pay. I filed for bankruptcy (13) and everything was wiped out last month except for the student loans, of course (which I'm paying back starting next month). My credit score is rated as "poor" and I was told to get a good credit builder card to help out over the next few months. I was told to keep the balance at about $200 on the card and continually make payments above the minimum but to never pay the entire thing off.

I had to buy a new car as well since my old truck just happened to die right when my bankruptcy ended.

Great, that's fine. But which card should I go with? I'm new to this. I have a good job with steady income but don't want my student loan debt + credit cards + car payment to eat me alive.

Ashhong

I'm really new to this so I apologize if my questions have been answered before.

I went through a very rough patch years ago. Credit cards were taken out in my name that I didn't know about and I had student loan debt piling up that I couldn't pay. I filed for bankruptcy (13) and everything was wiped out last month except for the student loans, of course (which I'm paying back starting next month). My credit score is rated as "poor" and I was told to get a good credit builder card to help out over the next few months. I was told to keep the balance at about $200 on the card and continually make payments above the minimum but to never pay the entire thing off.

I had to buy a new car as well since my old truck just happened to die right when my bankruptcy ended.

Great, that's fine. But which card should I go with? I'm really new to this. I have a good job with steady income but don't want my student loan debt + credit cards + car payment to eat me alive.

Depends on your current score really. The Citi Double Cashback (or is it capital one?) seems like a decent option. Or maybe Chase Freedom Unlimited. Also depends on what you would use it for.

I don’t see how a credit card would eat you alive though. ALWAYS pay the entire bill off. The important trick is to make an extra payment after the bill payment but before your closing date. Bring the card total to under 10% utilization if possible. But always pay off the full balance of the bill. Yell at whoever told you not to

Depends on your current score really. The Citi Double Cashback (or is it capital one?) seems like a decent option. Or maybe Chase Freedom Unlimited. Also depends on what you would use it for.

I don’t see how a credit card would eat you alive though. ALWAYS pay the entire bill off. The important trick is to make an extra payment after the bill payment but before your closing date. Bring the card total to under 10% utilization if possible. But always pay off the full balance of the bill. Yell at whoever told you not to

Funnily enough, it was the financial adviser who sold me the car. He told me to use the card to pay for gas and little things and always maintain a balance of some kind but not to pay it off each month.

I guess I can just use it to gas up throughout the month and buy the occasional meal and then pay it off in two installments each month?

Ashhong

Funnily enough, it was the financial adviser who sold me the car. He told me to use the card to pay for gas and little things and always maintain a balance of some kind but not to pay it off each month.

I guess I can just use it to gas up throughout the month and buy the occasional meal and then pay it off in two installments each month?

Maybe you misunderstood or misheard? I just can't imagine anyone suggesting to keep a balance and paying interest. Seems ridiculous to me. If you use it so little that your balance doesn't really go over 10-20% of your total limit there's no need to do two payments. Just make sure to pay off the full bill balance with autopay

Zoe

People suggest doing that all the time, even people in finance. Doesn't mean they're right.

Always pay off your full statement balance by the due date.

Ashhong

People suggest doing that all the time, even people in finance. Doesn't mean they're right.

Always pay off your full statement balance by the due date.

What's their logic? Does it show you're a better borrower because you are a sucker and pay interest?

I appreciate the advice. You guys seem to be right on the money from reading other creditor responses to the question online.

I'm just going to use the credit card to do my normal small amounts of spending (gas/etc.) and pay off the balance entirely each month. Shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully I can get a good income based rate on my student loans as well. Between that, the car payment, and keeping my credit card debt at 0 I should be able to refinance that car payment in a couple of years (hopefully).

NeOak

Great, that's fine. But which card should I go with? I'm new to this. I have a good job with steady income but don't want my student loan debt + credit cards + car payment to eat me alive.
You're going to have to get a secured card at the beginning in order to build a new credit history.

Zoe

What's their logic? Does it show you're a better borrower because you are a sucker and pay interest?
They think you need to show a balance (just having a statement balance will do that) and you need to be a good customer for the bank (they make money from you using the card regardless of interest).

Top Bottom