• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest reliable Orbis and Durango specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll bite. If those are the actual Xbox specs, why would a bunch of developers say it's the better development platform? It seems like a significantly more advanced gpu and faster RAM would make the PS3 a clear winner in this category. I am a novice in this area, in case you couldn't tell . . .

Boss Man

So...

Wii U = 4 Gamecubes duct taped together
Orbis = $599
Durango = Windows 8 with Kinect™

Okay, I'll bite. If those are the actual Xbox specs, why would a bunch of developers say it's the better development platform? It seems like a significantly more advanced gpu and faster RAM would make the PS3 a clear winner in this category. I am a novice in this area, in case you couldn't tell . . .
Are you talking about that IGN thing? If so, it could mean anything and it could mean nothing. Something like that could come down to development tools or company policies or whatever. "Best development platform" definitely doesn't mean most powerful console.

ElFly

IMHO Microsoft will prioritize having enough RAM on the console so you can play a movie while you have a game paused, without having to shut down the game I mean.

Umm, I am assuming you can't do this on the current 360, since I've only played one like a couple of times.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
How many teraflops does ue4 need?
What is the target platform for UE4? What kind of hardware are gamers going to need to run UE4 based games?

Unreal Engine 4’s next-generation renderer targets DirectX 11 GPU’s and really starts to become interesting on hardware with 1+ TFLOPS of graphics performance, where it delivers some truly unprecedented capabilities. However, UE4 also includes a mainstream renderer targeting mass-market devices with a feature set that is appropriate there.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-next-gen-gtx-680-powered-real-time-graphics/

IMHO Microsoft will prioritize having enough RAM on the console so you can play a movie while you have a game paused, without having to shut down the game I mean.

Umm, I am assuming you can't do this on the current 360, since I've only played one like a couple of times.

I don't think you can but it doesn't sound hugely ram intensive.
I'm suspecting some of Orbis's rumoured 16 GB flash will be available to the current game, which would be potentially a lot niftier than using an HDD for virtual memory.

jKhvF.jpg

DRINK IT!

ElFly

You can't but it doesn't sound hugely ram intensive.

Dunno how intensive it but it'd require reserving some RAM that the games cannot access (even more than they reserve on the 360/PS3 which is minuscule). That, or doing some swapping on the fly, which isn't out of the question either, just maybe cumbersome.

jaypah

Easy way to hit the higher ceiling - render at 30 fps on the 720 and 60 fps on the PS4 ;)

Assuming the CPU does not bottleneck the framerate of course...

Well either way I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal as I always buy every console as soon as possible (and these days that means day one, double income/no kids FTW!) but I'd still rather devs didn't have yo worry about it.

2MF

Is 'tflops' the new 'bits'?

In this case it's actually better than "bits", since all these consoles are supposed to have very similar architectures (even down to the supplier, AMD). So as far as GPU power goes, the TFLOPS should be a pretty good representation of how powerful the hardware is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom