• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest reliable Orbis and Durango specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tratorn

Well, so is this a "just trust me, i have good relations"-post or why didn't we get links/sources for these specs?

EVIL

If those specs are true ms will bomb next gen. 2gb ram with almost twice gpu power is huge for sony.

MS is marketing the Xbox brand as a full media box, from music streaming services to video games. With this I doubt the box will bomb just because its a bit under powered compared to the PS4.

Well, so is this a "just trust me, i have good relations"-post or why didn't we get links/sources for these specs?
I am sure he can set up a webpage with this info and use that link as his source if that makes you trust the info more.

Info is leaking into these boards all the time, its why allot of scoops come from gaf: "gaf -> video game journalism -> gaf"

Anyway, these specs sound allot more realistic then any of the recent rumors.

Not a ton of info to go on, but it sounds like you'll be able to buy a similarly specced PC for not much more once these things launch.

In terms of Durango, it's promising about 1 total teraflop of processing, don't most GPU's from a year or two ago feature that kind of power?

Zaph

That was how I had been interpreting the rumors of Microsoft caving into Epic et al. and significantly boosting Durango's specs, but apparently it just referred to RAM, I guess?
But isn't RAM the issue Epic always champions? I believe they did the same with the 360.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What? Bananas? You know this is the time for Dragon Ball X ranking, come on!

Huff

Banned
Cool, it's nice to see GAF posters with absolutely no proven ties to the industry get to have threads made about their completely baseless speculations. Can we please keep BGAssassin/StevieP's predictions in the relevant threads without inflating these people's egos even further?

Heh

2MF

Not a ton of info to go on, but it sounds like you'll be able to buy a similarly specced PC for not much more once these things launch.

In terms of Durango, it's promising about 1 total teraflop of processing, don't most GPU's from a year or two ago feature that kind of power?

I bought a HD 5750 for £100, 2 years ago... It does about 1 teraflop peak. It was not anywhere near high-end even at that time.

hodgy100

Maybe Durango will have split memory pools? 2GB of GDDR5 and 2GB of something else, guessing DDR4?

DDR 4 is not yet mature enough and would be too expensive when compared to how cheap DDR 3 is right now.

also there is nothing to say the "PS4" doesn't also have split memory and we just have no information on how much system ram it has. infact its very likely that this is the case as this is also how they produced the Vita (512MB main ram + 128MB Video RAM)

ampere

These are insider information compiled from both Neogaf and B3D. BGAssassin can vouch for the accuracy.

Hm, if rumors without sources are all you have to go by, maybe this stuff is a bit too speculative at this point. Pointing to a GAFer who has 'inside information' isn't going to fly as a source for most people.

I mean, Nintendo has unveiled the Wii U, twice, and we don't know the specs. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have unveiled their new consoles so it seems pretty silly to post supposed tech specs for them. It's just far too early, they could still change even if the rumors had a real basis.

For CPU and RAM Durango > Orbis.
For GPU Orbis > Durango.
Probably equal, all things considered.

That said, contrary to the thread title, there's nothing reliable about this speculation at all.

For the ram you can't be certain since Durango might be using DDR3 while Orbis will be using DDR5 so things not so clear cut .
Still none of this stuff is reliable or most likely out of date info along with being base on rumors and speculation .

ElFly

DDR 4 is not yet mature enough and would be too expensive when compared to how cheap DDR 3 is right now.

also there is nothing to say the "PS4" doesn't also have split memory and we just have no information on how much system ram it has. infact its very likely that this is the case as this is also how they produced the Vita (512MB main ram + 128MB Video RAM)

Good points.

1GB of VRAM would be kind of disappointing, though.

An 8 core x86 processor when most pc devs are struggling to use 4?

Seems a bit overkill.

Eeeh, mostly cause they have to make sure their games run on the 3-core xbox 360 too. Once that restriction goes, they can be more creative with what they do with their CPU.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Kinda hoping for Orbis to bump to at least 3gb. 2gb doesnt seem like nearly enough when considering O/S needs as well.

There will be meltdowns.
There always is.

The videogame industry might be tech oriented, but the vast majority of fans are near tech illiterate. I won't act like I'm perfect. I wear it like a badge of honor any time someone like Faf owns me.

But I try to learn from it. I let others fill in what I don't already know, or teach what I've misinterpreted.

Come on all. We brothers and sisters in this cesspool of the internet. Let's try to leave the place in a better condition than we received it.

hodgy100

Good points.

1GB of VRAM would be kind of disappointing, though.

Eeeh, mostly cause they have to make sure their games run on the 3-core xbox 360 too. Once that restriction goes, they can be more creative with what they do with their CPU.

Provided there is enough system ram to back it up 1GB VRAM would be a fair amount for a console

Botha systems will be able to run the same games, and WiiU will need a bit of quality lose due to less RAM.

How accurate is the above statement?

2MF

One thing that I'm afraid of regarding the number of cores is developers taking the easy route towards parallelization.

That means adding more pipelined stages to calculate/render a frame which results in higher latency.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These specs sound reasonable based on what we know for sure but not reliable. I wouldn't be surprised with them being true although I'm expecting Durango to wind up with less RAM than 8Gb. Even with the Windows 8 and Kinect stuff it won't need that much. It may just be a current crutch in dev kits to help gauge how much is needed for everything, with Microsoft willing to go up to 8Gb if need be but hoping to limit it to cut costs.

I would love Orbis to wind up with more RAM but Sony is likely to be a bit more stubborn about that than MS unless their first parties really get on their case about it.

jaypah

If these specs are even close to being true a lot of folks are going to be disappointed here.

I am a bit surprised that PS4's GPU is shown as almost 2x as powerful as the 720's though.

Yes, that's weird. I'd like them to be a bit closer just so 3rd party devs could have an easier time hitting the higher ceiling. But damn near double the power? I'm not sure i can swallow that pill just yet, especially seeing how MS did so well this Gen as far a 3rd party is concerned. That and LIVE pretty much saved their asses and i doubt that fact is lost on them.

Azure J

Good stuff all around, although I'm surprised to see that Durango's setup looks to be less GPU grunt and more general computing muscle. Something related to Kinect 2.0 I'm guessing?

Wii U must have trained on Earth. They can suppress their power levels there.

:lol

There always is.

The videogame industry might be tech oriented, but the vast majority of fans are near tech illiterate. I won't act like I'm perfect. I wear it like a badge of honor any time someone like Faf owns me.

But I try to learn from it. I let others fill in what I don't already know, or teach what I've misinterpreted.

Come on all. We brothers and sisters in this cesspool of the internet. Let's try to leave the place in a better condition than we received it.

That was beautiful, Thunder Monkey.

On a side note, I've heard rumors that Sony is pursuing a unified memory architecture this time around. If Skyrim's issues didn't teach them a lesson, I don't know what will. Portables are a different beast completely.

Microsoft plans to do a lot more with their OS and whatnot than with actual games, I suspect that explains the GPU and lots of RAM.

2MF

Yes, that's weird. I'd like them to be a bit closer just so 3rd party devs could have an easier time hitting the higher ceiling. But damn near double the power?

Easy way to hit the higher ceiling - render at 30 fps on the 720 and 60 fps on the PS4 ;)

Assuming the CPU does not bottleneck the framerate of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom