• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last page of the free comic day issue of Secret Empire...(spoilers, duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fades

Banned
But y'all told me in the other thread that marvel wasn't trying to position Cap as an anti-hero in this event.

They're...not? He's pretty damn deep in villain territory. How does him holding Mjolnir change his alignment status? There is also literally no context for this situation anyway.

They're...not? He's pretty damn deep in villain territory. How does him holding Mjolnir change his alignment status? There is also literally no context for this situation anyway.
Cause they wouldn't let him hold the hammer if he wasn't being positioned to not be entirely wrong.

Him holding Mjolnir is going to cause a lot of people to assume that the white Norse Gods are Nazis. The Norse Gods are already associated with racists in real life.
Marvel is really going for the shock factor.

Slayven

Him holding Mjolnir is going to cause a lot of people to assume that the white Norse Gods are Nazis. The Norse Gods are already associated with racists in real life.
Marvel is really going for the shock factor.

7Horx49.jpg

kT7YB1v.jpg

otakukidd

Which hammer is it, Thor's hammer, Thorr's hammer or ultimate Thor's hammer? We still don't know who took ultimate Thor's hammer.

PixelatedBookake

Okay maybe I need to check Secret Empire just to see how this all plays out. It has to be Ultimate Thor's hammer, but the crazy shit that happens after Hydra gets their hands on it is gonna be wild.

Buckle

Its nice to know if you're really dedicated to ruining lives and overthrowing a democratic country in favor of fascism that you can still be worthy.

akira28

Is this storyline any good? It sounds like the worst thing ever.

well its an awesome premise with shitty and convoluted execution. Steve actually being the Aryan superboy all this time? Everything under that lens makes his entire arc some weird manipulation/mockery of America? Its a good idea and fertile ground for great work. But its all too vague and talkie and assuming you know everything about the story your eyes will just kind of glaze over the meaningless dialogue and start scanning the art for recognizable plot points.

At this point I'm just looking forward to SpidermanJr. having his foreshadowed date with
making this whole thing stop thank God.

Hasn't Cap held his hammer before? So it's not really treading new ground here. I know he's HYDRA now, but given the revelation that he's technically always been HYDRA it shouldn't affect his ability to pick up the hammer.

Nothing about wielding that hammer says you're a good person, it's whatever the undefined concept of "worthy" means(or meant, the hammer seems to be doing what it wants lately) in Odin's head. If Thor can still wield it while in the midst of warrior madness it clearly isn't just about being some good wholesome pure hearted soul.

there's a whole storyline in Thor right now about
Gorr being right and the gods are all shitheels who aren't needed.
There's an implication that being worthy partly or mostly just means truly believing you're worthy, since the reason Thor couldn't pick up the hammer is because he
believed Gorr's words
, not because he suddenly became any less of a good person.

Please tell me you're fucking around

Have you been following the hate towards Nick Spencer? Go read the comments.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/how-a-thor-worshipping-religion-turned-racist-456

To understand Odinism—and the way that it became a religion entangled with racism, exclusion, and American prison culture—you need to start with the original Scandinavian pagans. These groups worshipped Norse gods through songs and ceremonies, celebrating the mythology of gods like Thor and Odin, who went by many names. Between the 8th and 12th centuries AD, Christians "explained" to the heathens about the One True God, and so-long went paganism, until the mid-1800s, when a nationalistic climate led Scandinavian countries to rediscover their own history. They found something to call their own—Norse Gods—and rebirthed the religion into Germanic neopaganism.

In 1936, Australian author Alexander Rud Mills established the First Anglecyn Church of Odin, which claimed Odinism as "the indigenous religion of the northern European people." In his opening liturgical text, he mentioned "the fall from grace of the White Race by being untrue to the spirit of their forefathers." Else Christensen, a Danish woman, was struck by the work. After WWII, Christensen and her husband Alex emigrated to Canada and founded the Odinist Study Group after WWII with the claim that "religion is in our genes." After Alex's death in 1971, she moved to the United States and published The Odinist newsletter.

jph139

I'm not sure why Spencer keeps insisting that HYDRA Cap isn't a Nazi when he's ending the issue with a Nazi wet dream - pure white Aryan superman wielding the ultimate weapon of the pure white Norse gods. Like, dude, you can't be doing this all accidentally! It's the whole thematic engine of the story.

And like, even admitting how obviously for-shock-value it is... I can't think of a better "oh we're fucked" cliffhanger and I'm pretty hyped to read it.

If Doctor Doom can convince the panther god to let him have wakandas vibranium due to his conviction, Caps "I'm loyal to nothing but the dream" purity might fool mjolnir.

Fury451

Banned
What does that mean tho?

It's a callback to The God Butcher arc.

Basically the gods are not worthy of praise, causing Thor to view himself as unworthy of being a god

It's kinda weak tbh, since the worldview was already dealt with head on by Thor during that arc. Conceptually though, it's more about Thor looking to be something beyond just the hammer and title of god.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gorr was the god killer who believed that the gods made people's lives worse, and that all the guys should die.

Ahhh thats right, I loved that arc but forgot the dude's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom