• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I've never played a Zelda game, though I'm looking to change this, and I'm excited for this. I'm surprised how many people are bitching when all I remember was people asking for a new Zelda to be made that was more like the older ones.

How about actually making a new game that was like the older ones? Not a re-imagined version of an older one?

I mean sure maybe the "story" is different, maybe there are some new puzzles, but we're seeing the same map. Zelda is all about the map. If that's the same and the dungeons are similar then its not really a new game.

Re-imaginings and remakes are fine. No problem with that. But I really would love to see a new 2D Zelda (and Metroid).

Edit: Also this will probably be the perfect introduction for you.

Metaroo

I have no idea where to even begin. I really don't want Nintendo to settle for fishing sales through nostalgia, but that is really all I can see coming from this. I don't doubt this game will be well made (yet), but I really would have preferred something new. I guess we'll have to wait till the Wii U's rendition is announced. My breathe is held though...

nintendo needs to get their 3d artstyle right.

they all look blend :(

Comparative size + Direct feed comparison:

83h0TAM.png

...is equivalent to...

ibvPIfMTijpy0j.bmp

What do you propose Nintendo do if they wanted to adapt the 2D art to full 3D?

Black outlines would muddle with the perspective, keeping the original color scheme would be too dreary in 3D, and too much detail in the textures would be too busy when looking at it through a small screen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
if it takes place after lttp then there shouldn't be a dark world anymore

Right, it'll be the Sacred Realm. Who knows how different it actually was from the Dark World, though.

I suppose the Thieves' Town will be revitalized, at least.

if they used the 2D sprites from ALTTP or from 4-swords GCN everyone could complain that they are lazy for just recycling sprites.

But that's okay, we got people complaining they are lazy for making a direct sequel to ALTTP either way... People don't know what they want. This will likely go down as one of the better Zelda games, but expect in the mean time a lot of people complaining up till release, then a bunch of reviews that give it near perfect scores calling it the best zelda ever, THEN after a year or so it'll fall where ALL zelda games fall... "Not as good as my favorite, (insert LttP, OoT, MM, or WW) but it's still really good."

TheNatural

My Member!
God I hate 3D/2D.... it's so ugly looking. Is it really that hard to make sprites?

It's easier to make 3D models than hand drawn cel shaded or 2D sprites.

In 2013 it's extremely rare to see a faithful 8 or 16 bit restoration anymore, in a sequel or remake. Rayman Origins was a rare example of a great looking 2D game, and they went ahead and dropped it for Legends.

Even Duck Tales has great looking hand drawn cartoon characters, but the background and items were blocky run of the mill 3D assets.

It's better to just give up on the notion that you're going to get a super faithful awesome looking restoration of a classic series. It's just not happening anymore. It's a lot of time, effort, and money invested in animation and drawing that doesn't pay off at the retail end. Too many consumers are just ignorant of the efforts, as the New Super Mario Bros series show, no one really cares that much if the game is in weird fugly 2.5D.

Is it confirmed to be the same overworld, or did they literally use an old picture to highlight how they're translating the art styles and people are being morons?

donny2112

I wonder if they'll make the original Link to the Past available in this art style as downloadable content. Since they aren't doing 3-D Classics anymore, apparently, would make for a great addition to the game. :)

Neiteio

Neiteio gonna smack some fools if they call this "NEW! A Link to the Past."

The clever wall mechanic and high-quality 3D makes this seem way better than a NSMB cash-in, though.

I really liked NSMBU and NSMB2.

ec0ec0

after seeing through the years how old classic games have evolved... i seems that, after some point (i am not sure where), graphis turned out into the problem... and here we have an example...

Is it confirmed to be the same overworld, or did they literally use an old picture to highlight how they're translating the art styles and people are being morons?

Reggie said this game takes place in the same game world that AlttP but with a new story and dungeons. Don't know what it means but don't like the sound of it.

I have no idea where to even begin. I really don't want Nintendo to settle for fishing sales through nostalgia, but that is really all I can see coming from this. I don't doubt this game will be well made (yet), but I really would have preferred something new. I guess we'll have to wait till the Wii U's rendition is announced. My breathe is held though...

You could make that same of any zelda game... That said, Nintendo can't win with the Zelda series. They try something new? Then it's not the same. Go back and make the game more traditional? Then it's just the "same old same old" and "a quick cash grab".

Golly, this thread brings out the fanboy in me more than anything.

Well, they said in the video it takes place in the same world as ALttP but with new dungeons and the like, so I would assume the overworld is going to be pretty similar, if anything.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I love that Nintendo is feeding off Nostalgia, but these slight changing of art styles really ruins the charm, WindWaker HD just doesn't quite look right and over bloomy, and this while totally setting off my childhood memories just doesn't have the same charm. They could make some beautiful looking 2D game on the hardware, but we end up with an iffy looking 3D aliased top down one instead. Everything in the game had a kind of menacing feel to it, even the buzz blobs were creepy, but this, nope, not feeling it, which is a real damn shame.

The one hope with all this Zelda remakes and going back to old games worlds is that we will one day get an old school 2D Metroid style game, though saying that I wouldn't want it if it ends up getting the same treatment.

Revven

The absolute hyperbole over the graphics/art is ridiculous. Jesus, this is practically a repeat of the WWHD thread.

It's like if it's not what your wet dreams contained it's not and will never be good enough.

Unfortunately this is not exciting me. I wanted to buy a 3DS for Zelda, but I really want a new world, not an old one I know by heart. Even with completely new content, this is not doing it for me sadly.

Expected a bit more. I hope this is not the "real" Zelda for the 3DS.

Arkam

This game looks amazing. This could be the Zelda I have been asking for. I just hope the gameplay remains similar to LTTP as much as possible.

Please let there be a light and Dark world too. Or at least that amount of content and areas of Hyrule to explore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
it stopped at "true" master sword (which is the normal form)

utLqf.jpg

"This is the Master Sword. And this... is what is known as the Master Sword that has ascended past the Master Sword. Or, you could just call this the True Master Sword. And this... is to go even further beyond!"

Cool news but the art style is pretty bad, at least from what they showed. It seems like they're going for a claymation type look which could be cool, but I don't think they pulled it off.

Kind of agree with other posters' complaints about Nintendo playing on nostalgia.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
after seeing through the years how old classic games have evolved... i seems that, after some point (i am not sure where), graphis turned out into the problem... and here we have an example...
If you're going to have a beef with Zelda graphics evolving surely it would lie with OoT when it went 3D, or MM that just lifted models and music wholesale, or the Celda controversy, or maybe the non Celda controversy of TP, or WW doesn't work on the DS with PH and ST. Feels odd to suddenly pick this one game out as being the tipping point, especially when it is so close to classic Zelda looks.

genjiZERO

It's easier to make 3D models than hand drawn cel shaded or 2D sprites.

In 2013 it's extremely rare to see a faithful 8 or 16 bit restoration anymore, in a sequel or remake. Rayman Origins was a rare example of a great looking 2D game, and they went ahead and dropped it for Legends.

Even Duck Tales has great looking hand drawn cartoon characters, but the background and items were blocky run of the mill 3D assets.

It's better to just give up on the notion that you're going to get a super faithful awesome looking restoration of a classic series. It's just not happening anymore. It's a lot of time, effort, and money invested in animation and drawing that doesn't pay off at the retail end. Too many consumers are just ignorant of the efforts, as the New Super Mario Bros series show, no one really cares that much if the game is in weird fugly 2.5D.

Thanks for quashing my dreams!! I know that's the reason they don't do it, but I can still dream. At least I'm not the only person who thinks 2.5D is hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom