• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

Just a random thought; the iPad has keyboard support, has anyone ever made a keyboard only game? I guess it wouldn't get through submission at the moment but it would be interesting if apple allowed it, there would be potential for a lot of pc ports. Will probably never happen.

Manax

Which one is this?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/joypad-game-controller/id517378526?mt=8

For the low price of free! just saw it works for match panic, I am totally all over that

http://getjoypad.com/

Edit: looks like they recently split the app's functionality from an elite one which was for iPad as well as PC/Mac to a version for iPhone use and a version for PC/Mac
Looks like people who paid for the elite app are complaining because the two split apps are now free for everyone to grab (they had to do it this way so those early adopters could get them free) but boy would you be pissed if you missed the update and didnt get them while they're free. there's currently 4 apps i can see (Elite (which is dead), Joypad gaming controller (iPad), Joypad legacy (PC/Mac), Joypad EOL (the original release for iPad before they introduced the elite app)

tldr Grab all the "joypad" apps right now as they are all free for a limited time!

SteveWD40

Just a random thought; the iPad has keyboard support, has anyone ever made a keyboard only game? I guess it wouldn't get through submission at the moment but it would be interesting if apple allowed it, there would be potential for a lot of pc ports. Will probably never happen.

My dream is that they one day allow bluetooth mouse and keyboard as an app input...

Shaneus

JKt2b.jpg

numble

iCade-supported games are basically keyboard supported games. I don't think they'd let an iCad-only game on the store though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
But it sounds like that expansion won't look as good on my 4S as the HD version. Which sucks.

What I meant was, if you have GoF2 and the Valkyrie expansion already and buy GoF2 HD, you get the Valkyrie HD expansion free. Save games can also be moved between the two versions via the iCloud or Openfeint save slots. I'd wait for the inevitable sale once Supernova hits later this month.

japtor

Contentious, but I'd rather simpler art. It's not a drawing game - it's a communication game. I got the DOWN album cover, but the person trying to guess it evidently didn't. How would drawing something simpler have been less fun for the game, rather than showing off? Hm.
Yeah it's fine to play that way...but it generally just gets way too easy to draw and guess stuff, it becomes a game with no challenge. I (and some others I've played with) have more fun screwing around with the whole idea, whether making a random (hopefully entertaining) drawing and/or some obscure reference or simple riddle. Not saying drawings have to get all super elaborate though if that's your main point.

Here's one I got today with everything going on at once:
YZ5Hq.jpg

firewood

And just messing around (running theme with Wa/luigi going with some folks):
lyR0h.jpg

markers

...most of my stuff doesn't have penises, really!
Texting of the Bread is the closest we've gotten to this.... but yeah I know... No real iPad keyboard support...

I would love to see Sega port TOTD to the iOS though.
It's so obvious too, I've been wanting it for a while now.

Speaking of Sega, where the hell is Bass Fishing (announced late last year iirc) and Virtua Tennis (shown somewhat recently).

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Am i missing something with infinity blade 2? I beat the different bosses and then beat the god king - is that it? Is there nothing else to do? If so, it really isnt bigger than the first infinity blade. What a let down.

Card Boy

Banned
Am i missing something with infinity blade 2? I beat the different bosses and then beat the god king - is that it? Is there nothing else to do? If so, it really isnt bigger than the first infinity blade. What a let down.

Sounds about it to me judging from the first one. Its the only iOS game i have that i regret buying. I hope Infinity Blade: Dungeons isn't a Diablo clone that takes 5 minutes to clock.

colinp

Banned
ClashMob people add me!

colinpjp

The mobs seem to last longer and, generally, actually finish these days, which is a nice change.

ToxicAdam

Been playing Virtual Villagers:Origins and am starting to get creeped out. I need to increase my population, but that means having teenagers mate with their parents. What a sordid village. I think I need to make a spreadsheet so I can avoid all of this moral ambiguity.

Dingotech

Oh for flaps sake....

I have the Fighting Fantasy books on my Appshopper wishlist for over I'd say a year.

I finally say bugger it and grab them at $3, and now 2 days latter I get a notification from Appshopper that they have dropped to $1....

Thank me later people!!

GeekyDad

Been playing Virtual Villagers:Origins and am starting to get creeped out. I need to increase my population, but that means having teenagers mate with their parents. What a sordid village. I think I need to make a spreadsheet so I can avoid all of this moral ambiguity.

Does the theme song from Deliverance play in the background?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh man, TOTD would be incredible on iOS. I still regularly bust out my dreamcast and play that. Did they ever localize TOTD2?

Edit: Also, I feel like League of Evil is the only Joypad-supported game that's worth a damn. I just looked at the list, and it's incredibly thin.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh man, TOTD would be incredible on iOS. I still regularly bust out my dreamcast and play that. Did they ever localize TOTD2?

No, I wish it would but it never happened. The PC version still runs very well btw (and is not demanding at all, runs on crappy laptops), makes it real convenient to play as well, given the default input device being a keyboard and all.

I didn't see any of TOTD's charm in Texting of the Bread based on the media I saw, forgot all about it and never played it. I think the 3D aspect of TOTD adds a lot to the game for me, as it reminds me more of the 3d light gun games in arcades.

ToxicAdam

Battleloot Adventures had an update. They tweaked the classes a bit and changed some stats on the weapons. Makes the game a bit easier once you get to the 3 star missions. Which was welcome.

Still not a great game, though. I'm just powering through it to beat it.

GeekyDad

any impressions on Civ Rev for iPhone?

Played the hell out of the DS version, so I was used to the iOS version. The only differences I noticed are that the iOS version has actual animations on the map. Aside from launching nukes and the battle sequences, the DS version was completely static visually. Personally, I love the game either way. It's addicting. It ain't no Civ V, but for Civ on the go, you really can't ask for more. Well, you could, but you'd be unreasonable.

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/193354102095347714

Marvel VS Capcom 2 is coming to ios on April 25th. Don't know how this will work with touch controls.

I'm sure at least as good as SFIV, considering it's not nearly as demanding combo-wise. That's not to say it will be good by fighting-game standards.

BTW, Brandnew Boy just went on sale. Anyone get this game to run on 3GS? It just sits on the loading screen for me. Waited literally about 15 minutes, tapping the screen every few minutes to keep my phone from going into sleep mode, but no luck.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are you still wanting a banner for controllers? I could throw one together but it'd be very basic and probably sloppy.

Yep! If you wanna have a go at them I'd appreciate it a lot, no worries about being sloppy, if a kick-ass banner comes around later on we can always replace them. See what you can/want do. :)
This is what I need concerning banners:

[GAF Community] banner, as big as the current [GAF iOS Membership]

Then, the sIze of the smaller ones currently in the OP:

[GAF iOS Membership]
[iOS Gaming Gadgets]
[GAF Knows Best]
[GAF iOS Challenges]

Dash, can you make the link to the iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread .com and not .net? You can remove the board game threads for Ascension and Ticket to Ride too, as they're now inactive and redundant...

Done! I've actually updated the OP with a whole bunch of new stuff. We're getting there, slowly, but we're indeed getting there... ;)

Best pacman game(s)?

If you've got an iPhone, Pac-Man CE, otherwise Ms. Pac-Man

Joypad - EOL

Cool, if you wanna write a couple of lines (or whoever in this thread feels like it) on how it works and a link to the US store I'll put it in the OP. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone to try it myself.

iCade? Is it worth it?

Yes, IF you're going to use with MAME that alone justifies the purchase, being supported by some games is more like the cherry on top than anything else, IMO, of course. It's pretty awesome.

iceatcs

I have been look up for some iPad exclusives. I'm prepare get them before I will go on long flight journey later this evening.

So far I have:
Aquaria
Machinarium
Incoboto
Avernum

Anyone know more good iPad exclusives (I have iPhone 4S, that's why I want iPad app only)

RetroGreg

I have been look up for some iPad exclusives. I'm prepare get them before I will go on long flight journey later this evening.

So far I have:
Aquaria
Machinarium
Incoboto
Avernum

Anyone know more good iPad exclusives (I have iPhone 4S, that's why I want iPad app only)

Kingdom Rush!

Do you like old Skool arcade games? Do you have imame or are you jailbroken and can get it?

If yes, it's fantastic. It's my go-to Minter and Mame device.

I like old Skool arcade games but I'm not jailbroken. I get the impression it's only really worth it if I jailbreak my iPad.

Tempting.

I noticed the Midway collection has iPad support but that apparently just happened yesterday.

iceatcs

I like old Skool arcade games but I'm not jailbroken. I get the impression it's only really worth it if I jailbreak my iPad.

Tempting.

I noticed the Midway collection has iPad support but that apparently just happened yesterday.
I love with my iControlPad. It's so portable. Of course jailbroken will get more out for bluetooth controllers (non-iCade mode, i.e. emulators)
Or Blutrol (Cydia app) can allow use iCade (iCP work) on nearly all of apps.

Azriell

Saw Enscripted praised a few pages back. I'd never heard of it, but I checked it out and had to have it. I've always wanted to do those cryptograms in the newspaper, but have never had the patience to do it with pencil.

For those not in the know, Enscripted ($.99) is a cipher word puzzler. Each puzzle is a quote from a movie, and that movie's title, which the player must solve by swapping letters until the quote finally makes sense. You get a new puzzle everyday for a year, and the old ones stick around too, so you can bounce around between multiple puzzles if you get stuck one.

This game is hard though. I've got unsolved puzzles where the timer is already over half an hour. I assume it's one of those things that gets easier as you go, as you learn to watch out for more patterns and letter combos.

Does anyone have any tips? The single "a"s and "I"s are easy enough, and I usually try to build on 2 and 3 letter words from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom