• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after insects count drop 75% over 25 years

Remember going on long car journeys as a kid in summer?

There would be loads of squashed bugs on the windscreen at the end of the journey.

Make a similar journey these days (area, duration, season) and the windscreen is completely free of bug corpses at the end.

"All my friends are dead".jpg

I drive to Ohio frequently from buffalo ny and can say that I kill tons per trip still.

ZOONAMI

I’ve noticed significantly less mosquitos in MN over the last 10 years or so. I’d imagine that has an effect on several other populations.

RMI

Banned
Pretty sure they're all banging against my windows at night.

seriously though we're fucked

Nategc20

Banned
So, you're ignoring that insects make up a huge part of our ecosystem and without them, we die? But hey, at least those nasty bugs are gone, right?
Lol, sure. Whatever you say. Our lives will go on if we don't have shit eating insects being shit eating insects. We pollen, plant, and harvest much more then they ever could do for us.

KingV

I drive to Ohio frequently from buffalo ny and can say that I kill tons per trip still.

I actually think part of the change is that cars are more aerodynamic. The wind is whooshing the bugs over the car more than it did in the past.

Also I ageee I still kill plenty on a summer night.

Fuck, I know that mega fauna destruction is happening but did not know about the insects dying off too. I always had the impression that they are fine since they are tiny and reproduce quickly, and thus can adapt faster.

I won't be surprised if the cause is the pesticides that is accumulating everywhere due to agriculture. That shit at low levels is doing something and doesnt just go away quickly.

sarcastor

It depends on whether we can continue to harvest enough food. We are levelling off before the food crunch hits. Once weather and a lack of pollinators disrupts harvests for multiple years and our industrial food supply collapses, we will see how smoothly it levels off.

pretty much when the blight happens, we are fucked. and then Trump will just blame Obama. Even if he's not president at the moment.

Steejee

Lol, sure. Whatever you say. Our lives will go on if we don't have shit eating insects being shit eating insects. We pollen, plant, and harvest much more then they ever could do for us.

We pollinate using bees.. you know, a flying insect.

The CEO's and President's of the big pesticide industries most likely have a "Get rich and fuck everyone else attitude" and that's pretty much goin to lead to this armageddon. Until that attitude up top is replaced, more than likely this will contribute to some serious famine down the road.

Nategc20

Banned
We pollinate using bees.. you know, a flying insect.
We have been manufacturing and pollinating for years, if not decades already. Even "organic" farmers don't even rely on insects. Are you saying every fruit and plant that's sprouted in the last 10 years have been the work of bees, mosquitoes, and Flys? No, they became irrelevant.

75% of them are splattered all over the front of cars.

No sarcasm think about how many cars are in the road per day. Then think about how many of those hit bugs.

It might not be the main contribution but it has to have a large scale affect in their population no doubt

This shouldn't even be that difficult, but it seems there is little interest because people aren't interested in having something like Soylent being the basis of our nutrition, keeping traditional foods for special occasions only. It would also stop the current massive amounts of food waste.

Either that, or massively reduce earth's population. Or both.
Nah. The solution is to do vertical indoor farming. It improves production, creates less waste, and doesn't affect ecological habitats.

Don't know why you suddenly go fo the most extreme solution when there's alternatives.

Good luck trying to get people to care about insects.

We have a hard enough time getting them to care about dolphins and cute shit like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nah. The solution is to do vertical indoor farming. It improves production, creates less waste, and doesn't affect ecological habitats.

Don't know why you suddenly go fo the most extreme solution when there's alternatives.

Did you miss

We need a revolution in food production, so we can massively reduce the amount of pesticides going into the environment and protect land from being exploited for farming.

How do you massively reduce the use of pesticide and land used for farming without vertical farming? I didn't need to mention it.

But you won't be growing beef in vertical farms. So people have to change their eating habits, and it would be drastic. Combine vertical farming with what I have described and you have a real solution. Vertical farming would not be sufficient.

And I am not even mentioning the energy savings and space savings resulting from taking this approach. People wouldn't need all those appliances anymore. Eating "traditional" food would be mostly an eating out option for most people, which is better than having decentralized restaurants in everyone's house.

Do I prefer that? No, but it will have to be part of the solution. We need to start centralizing everything relating to food production to reduce energy and land waste and better contain the environmental impact.

Remember going on long car journeys as a kid in summer?

There would be loads of squashed bugs on the windscreen at the end of the journey.

Make a similar journey these days (area, duration, season) and the windscreen is completely free of bug corpses at the end.

"All my friends are dead".jpg

Is there is an argument to be made that as aerodynamics of vehicles increased over old boxy vehicles, less bugs are splattered over your windshield because they are actually surviving encounters with your vehicles instead of being splattered across them?

Because, anecdotally the same as this windscreen test, there are still ludicrous amounts of insects where I am. More, now that those stupid Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs (aka Asian Stink Bugs) are all over the east cost of the U.S. with almost no predators.

Vertical indoor farming, depending on the particular crop in question, still requires pollinators though. More people keeping apiaries, for instance, instead of NIMBY suburb bullshit would be a huge boon for both bees (one of the most important insect species) and we humans that depend on them.

Some plants just don't pollinate on their own. Many tomato varieties are particularly guilty of this.

Amalthea

Banned
Even if it causes a catastrophic extinction event, the closer towards a 100% reduction of bugs the better.
Uhm, last time an extinction event actually caused a significant reduction of insects it was also pretty much game over for most vertebrates too and that was before the evolution of polinating insects.

As someone who got 10 mosquito bites just from sitting on my front porch for 5 minutes, things aren't much different here in houston

Kurdel

Banned
There were way too many in vanilla earth TBH.

I guess I’ll wait and see if we do want to have kids...

I know, who would ever want to raise a child in a world with less insects.

bee_beard_3.jpg

Top Bottom