• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Just-in Gaming

Ok GAF. Been here a long time, done youtube for years and looking at starting a new online show featuring a bit of news, thoughts on games, rumors and other stuff for the week with potential mini episodes covering big sudden news/rumor drops.

I've done all kinds of content over the years but I'm looking for improvement, refinement, and something I can stick to. As well as perhaps something you dont find litered all ober youtube with.

So after ordering a new desk, I jumped into making a quick impromptu episode to start things up and wanted to get fellow gaffers thoughts. If mods want to close this or deem it inapropriate, please close it and I understand.

That said, here is the first episode.
https://youtu.be/BIk6DxS9D4k I expect a wide range of comments good, bad, etc. So have at it. I'd love to do video reviews as well strictly on games but if people think just throwing condensed reviews in the episodes works better, I'm all for it.

What's with those hilarious quick zooms?

Edit :Seems decent, watched about half of it. Sound seems a little off even though I can can see you have a decent mic.

(Also you have the same wedding band as me)

What's with those hilarious quick zooms?

Just experimenting. If they suck, they suck and can remove that. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, continue to work within the gaming community. So going to keep the format up and refine it best I can.

Cool.

Well good luck with it. I don't watch many YouTube shows because I generally find the presenters super annoying. You're not so that's a good start.

I'd rather stay more down to earth and grounded aside from some rare moments. Thanks for that feedback.

I don't like them if they're serious. But my God if you did them to be stupid it would be great.

Also, may pick up Cursed Castilla!

Yeah I figured they would be more for goof ups, ridiculous moments, etc. Normal convo is for the straight shots!

And yes, the game is a underated gem!

Yeah I figured they would be more for goof ups, ridiculous moments, etc. Normal convo is for the straight shots!

And yes, the game is a underated gem!

Looking for a game like that, I picked up Shovel Knight on the Switch but I really just dislike how it feels, I don't know why. It doesn't feel fluid.

Ilonis

Neo Member
Overall I think this is pretty good.

I agree with the others, that the zooms were well done. You've got a good balance here, so don't go too overboard with it in the future.

The content was fine; a good mix of recent going ons and personal interests (though I thought the Splatoon2 bit was out of place since you had no experience with it yet). You seem genuine and comfortable in-front of a camera, but I see this isn't your first attempt at that.

The only part i had issue with was the audio side of things. The backing track you had while speaking was a bit too busy, I felt. It competed for my attention too much throughout, and made it hard to focus on your words. Also, look into minimizing the "in the closet" sound with some of that acoustic sound foam stuff to reduce the echo (sorry, forgot the name of it while writing this). Finally, the first audio transition was very abrupt.

It's good. Keep at it!

TriAceJP

I think we've had our fill with 'guy in room with video game crap on tables and cabinets wearing gaming tee'. We already have MetalRockJesus spamming YouTube to take the format back 30 years.

Try to go for a more professional set up. If you can somehow make a small studio, I'd go that route. Nice Mic, less clutter and in your face 'I'm totally a gamer' would go a long way.

Overall I think this is pretty good.

I agree with the others, that the zooms were well done. You've got a good balance here, so don't go too overboard with it in the future.

The content was fine; a good mix of recent going ons and personal interests (though I thought the Splatoon2 bit was out of place since you had no experience with it yet). You seem genuine and comfortable in-front of a camera, but I see this isn't your first attempt at that.

The only part i had issue with was the audio side of things. The backing track you had while speaking was a bit too busy, I felt. It competed for my attention too much throughout, and made it hard to focus on your words. Also, look into minimizing the "in the closet" sound with some of that acoustic sound foam stuff to reduce the echo (sorry, forgot the name of it while writing this). Finally, the first audio transition was very abrupt.

It's good. Keep at it!

I think we've had our fill with 'guy in room with video game crap on tables and cabinets wearing gaming tee'. We already have MetalRockJesus spamming YouTube to take the format back 30 years.

Try to go for a more professional set up. If you can somehow make a small studio, I'd go that route. Nice Mic, less clutter and in your face 'I'm totally a gamer' would go a long way.

Very good info folks. Appreciate the comments and yeah, I agree. Don't want to go overboard on the zoom ins. As for the studio design. Its literally how my office looks. The stuff on the desk was just to be on topic and not random game stuff.

Amneisac

My advice would be make the show you want to make. Don't worry too much about what people say because you'll never please everyone. If you're doing the show you want, the way you want to, that enthusiasm will go a long way. If you start to see feedback that you agree with you can adopt that, but just do your thing. Originality will go a long way.

My advice would be make the show you want to make. Don't worry too much about what people say because you'll never please everyone. If you're doing the show you want, the way you want to, that enthusiasm will go a long way. If you start to see feedback that you agree with you can adopt that, but just do your thing. Originality will go a long way.

True words for sure.

As a pretty critical person I took a cursory look at your video and skipped through it. I found it perfectly fine, especially for a first try. I'm likely not your target audience as I only watch a few things on Youtube, but it wasn't cringeworthy or poorly made or embarrassing in the slightest. Who knows if you can build an audience with the saturation on Youtube of these sorts of things, but you've at least got a solid foundation.

TriAceJP

Very good info folks. Appreciate the comments and yeah, I agree. Don't want to go overboard on the zoom ins. As for the studio design. Its literally how my office looks. The stuff on the desk was just to be on topic and not random game stuff.

This is where editing comes into play.

I'd have one thing, talk about it, cut too the best thing by itself, etc

As a pretty critical person I took a cursory look at your video and skipped through it. I found it perfectly fine, especially for a first try. I'm likely not your target audience as I only watch a few things on Youtube, but it wasn't cringeworthy or poorly made or embarrassing in the slightest. Who knows if you can build an audience with the saturation on Youtube of these sorts of things, but you've at least got a solid foundation.

Well thats definetly a positive take. Honestly I meet so many people online and off that say they can see my passion for games, my optomism, and my knowledge, and think I can do something with it. I'm not out to be vile, cause drama, or shit talk devs. This is something I grew up loving and still do to this day.

This is agree with.

Sorry I meant to say is that I like the games and gaming stuff on show. Just that I think it would look even better if it was a studio kind of setup. :)

Yeah would be cool to give it that edge but figuring that out and with a budget is rather tough. Could greenscreen it all but feel that might take away from it all.

Aizo

Banned
I really don't like a lot of YouTube channels for gaming, so I went in expecting to dislike this. You're actually a real person, and not an exaggerated piece of fiction, so I thought it was enjoyable to hear you talk about the games. You have real feelings about the games, and your personality seems quite good for this. I liked the segment. I thought at first "Too much shit on your desk," but having everything there as a sort of sign of what you'll be talking about is a nice visual guide and had me thinking "What the hell is that Castilla thing?" until you talked about it.

On the critique side, some lines could be recorded again. I think it's mostly fine, but things like "I never thought to think that..." when mentioning the human form of Shelob in the LotR game was odd. Also, small edits could have been a bit cleaner that cut part of a word. Overall, I think you seem fun, real, and confident. I like that.

Finish the game also sounds like a good segment. I wish you luck!

Edit: After reading other feedback, I wanted to add some stuff. The zooms are funny, and I think the balance was good. Definitely keep them, but don't do more than a few in a video. I think that could really lead to some good gags.

About the overall look of the video, I agree that dressing a bit more professional could be good, but I have no problem with the space you're recording in. That's your real office, so it seems good to me.

Pretty good stuff. Like others, I think that the quick zooms are pottery decent. Ramp up the writing, change the setup (can't stand the "guy in a home office" shtick that most YouTubers cling to) and I think you've got some potential.

Now I need to get back to writing and recording some more content for my channel.......

Also, I know that generally we aren't supposed to share our personal content on GAF, but I would love it if we had a thread for feedback on channels/content. Maybe on the Community side of things?

I really don't like a lot of YouTube channels for gaming, so I went in expecting to dislike this. You're actually a real person, and not an exaggerated piece of fiction, so I thought it was enjoyable to hear you talk about the games. You have real feelings about the games, and your personality seems quite good for this. I liked the segment. I thought at first "Too much shit on your desk," but having everything there as a sort of sign of what you'll be talking about is a nice visual guide and had me thinking "What the hell is that Castilla thing?" until you talked about it.

On the critique side, some lines could be recorded again. I think it's mostly fine, but things like "I never thought to think that..." when mentioning the human form of Shelob in the LotR game was odd. Also, small edits could have been a bit cleaner that cut part of a word. Overall, I think you seem fun, real, and confident. I like that.

Finish the game also sounds like a good segment. I wish you luck!

Edit: After reading other feedback, I wanted to add some stuff. The zooms are funny, and I think the balance was good. Definitely keep them, but don't do more than a few in a video. I think that could really lead to some good gags.

About the overall look of the video, I agree that dressing a bit more professional could be good, but I have no problem with the space you're recording in. That's your real office, so it seems good to me.

^ yes bless you OP for being a genuine person.

Subscribed.

I like your laid back attitude and the no screaming.

You know what you're talking about and the zooms are funny.

Good video.

Pretty good stuff. Like others, I think that the quick zooms are pottery decent. Ramp up the writing, change the setup (can't stand the "guy in a home office" shtick that most YouTubers cling to) and I think you've got some potential.

Now I need to get back to writing and recording some more content for my channel.......

Well thanks everyone for the great feedback. The show is in its infancy and I'm sure it will grow from doing it more. I am being real as this is how I would talk to any other person that wants to talk games. I just get into it. I can do strict longer reviews or single shorter big news also in this vein. Ultimately I enjoy conversing about games and while I do tend to be more postive about games, I still will note or criticize elements without turning it anything into huge drama. Devs and all, were all people.

I just want to jump back in for a second with a quick opinion about all the "guy in a home office" criticisms. Is it cliche? Sure, and a great studio would make any video pop. But this is your first video and you have no audience yet. I think any focus on production levels beyond "no noticeable problems" is a huge waste of time. Jim Sterling stands in front of a curtain at a podium. Easy Allies are in their garage. I say stay at your desk and keep learning the basics. Just enjoy yourself and get more comfortable.

I just want to jump back in for a second with a quick opinion about all the "guy in a home office" criticisms. Is it cliche? Sure, and a great studio would make any video pop. But this is your first video and you have no audience yet. I think any focus on production levels beyond "no noticeable problems" is a huge waste of time. Jim Sterling stands in front of a curtain at a podium. Easy Allies are in their garage. I say stay at your desk and keep learning the basics. Just enjoy yourself and get more comfortable.

Yeah I mean grow the audience and have fun with it all, is my ultimate goal. Yes I can perhaps update the office and make it more suitable as I go along, but I do believe your right.

I agree with mostly everyone here. Its also refreshing to see someone who speaks normal on youtube and not over-exaggerate things. Good luck OP.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That wasn't bad at all. And I gotta say I totally agree on the Soul Reaver/Darksiders comparison.

Luminaire

I'd suggest softer lighting, perhaps colored. Go for a more studio feel ala Giant Bomb/Beast. Too much of a yellow tint to the room that makes it seems a little harsh on the eyes. Otherwise, as others have said, maybe some less clutter.

I think your voice volume could be a little louder, but otherwise I felt it was pretty good. There was no cringe! Editing seemed good as well and the show was overall informative. If you do plan to do it weekly, I'd maybe number/date your episodes.

Visual presentation would be my only improvement recommendations.

2nd episode is much less cluttered!

J_Viper

Oh shit I think I was watching you stream RE3 the weekend before RE6 came out, that was a fun night

Really liked the video dude! I'll definitely subscribe

brawly

I like it. It's good to see that you cut around the edges a bit, especially when going from one topic to the next. Makes it snappier.

Keep it up.

I'd suggest softer lighting, perhaps colored. Go for a more studio feel ala Giant Bomb/Beast. Too much of a yellow tint to the room that makes it seems a little harsh on the eyes. Otherwise, as others have said, maybe some less clutter.

I think your voice volume could be a little louder, but otherwise I felt it was pretty good. There was no cringe! Editing seemed good as well and the show was overall informative. If you do plan to do it weekly, I'd maybe number/date your episodes.

Visual presentation would be my only improvement recommendations.

2nd episode is much less cluttered!

Thank you. Def going to keep trying to improve the style, etc. I don't have a way to really use another space to make it more studio like but any inprovements or ideas I'd love to brainstorm or consider???

Oh shit I think I was watching you stream RE3 the weekend before RE6 came out, that was a fun night

Really liked the video dude! I'll definitely subscribe

That was a few days of fun streams!

Keep the zoom-in's.

They made me laugh.

I like it. It's good to see that you cut around the edges a bit, especially when going from one topic to the next. Makes it snappier.

Keep it up.

Seems people love the zooms. I try not to overdue it but yes I enjoy them.

Top Bottom