• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the biggest manufacturing blunder in video game history?

I thought this was cool as hell as a kid, did it break cd players or something?

Yeah. You shouldn't put them into tray or slot loading players. Your cheap portable CD players were the most common way to play them. In other words, they were a pain in the ass.
A slighlty better idea were CDs shaped like this, which were mostly used in the Linux community back in the day:

170px-Shaped-cd.svg.png

There were also some Pokemon CDs shaped like this.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'd be interested what disaster actually did more dollar-value damage, Udraw or the RRoD. Udraw singlehandedly bankrupted a company, but RRoD may have cost more and MS was just better able to absorb it.

LKSmash

I'd be interested what disaster actually did more dollar-value damage, Udraw or the RRoD. Udraw singlehandedly bankrupted a company, but RRoD may have cost more and MS was just better able to absorb it.

You've got it right. RROD was definitely the more expensive blunder but UDraw was the more devastating obviously based on each company's financial standing.

Fisty

There were lots of stories of people just buying a new 360 (sometimes more than once) instead of going through the warranty process. I'm sure it cost them a shitload, but with Udraw there was basically no upside for THQ and they couldnt just fix peoples tablets, since the issue was actually selling them in the first place

Tyaren

Red Ring of Death. I had to send the Xbox360 in to be repaired, about a year later it got the RROD again. Eventually I had to buy a new Xbox360, which I thought was inexusable. One console should last me for one generation.
That was the very reason that I switched to Playstation this generation (never owned a PS before) and never looked back.

luulubuu

I am in love with this.
What the fuck.
What the fuck
Wtf is the story here lol
The disc is the shape of his head!? What!?
That's damn good. I want it now.
I thought this was cool as hell as a kid, did it break cd players or something?
How did this even get to the production phase

Basically it never worked and it could destroy devices, NoA has been always a public enemy

AmFreak

They aren't on the same level.
RRoD did cost them over $1 billion while uDraw revenue was $100 million less than they expected, meaning losses were considerably lower than that.
THQ had far more problems than uDraw.

Atari's collapse and the RROD are the biggest, but Nintendo's handling of their mini consoles is probably the stupidest and the easiest one to have avoided.

Sanador

It's probably not the biggest manufacturing blunder, but it is the one I am most curious about.

What exactly was so bad about the Batmobile that all the Batmobile Special Editions for Arkham Knight were cancelled at the last minute? I really would love to see what caused that strange last minute cancellation.

Majmun

RROD

Ended up costing MS in the billions. Any other company would've ceased to exist after such engineering disaster.

Celine

E.T. for Atari 2600 was a big blunder but Pac-Man for Atari 2600 was a even bigger one.
At the time, Atari projected 10 million consoles were still actively used by video game enthusiasts. Atari decided to produce 12 million game cartridges, anticipating every Atari 2600 owner would purchase the game, while two million new customers would purchase the system to play it.
In the end Pac-Man sold 7 million units and is the best selling Atari 2600 game yet 5 million units went unsold!

Kthulhu

Nintendo DS is probably one of my favorite systems of all time . I never had a problem with the hinge but I've had multiple shoulder buttons on multiple devices start to give out on me and I wasn't even a Mario Kart player.

I had a DSi's shoulder button give out after falling from 2.5 ft high. No other handheld has ever had a similar problem.

In reference to the bizarre shaped cd's, most if not all instructions for optical disc devices will specifically state that you shouldn't play unusual shaped discs along with discs with labels on them. I'm pretty sure it voids your warranty.

Anyway, for my suggestion. Wasn't there a significant amount of faults in the Big Daddy figure for one of the Bioshock special editions?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
360 Red Ring of Death.

Atari producing more copies of Pac Man than there were VCS's is a close second.

Alienous

Is today National Hot Take Day? Biggest manufacturing blunders in video game history and these are your contributions?

Well I thought Sony stunting the growth and their dominance of the VR industry was a worthy manufacturing blunder...

120v

atari circa early 80s is probably the most egregious. it's one thing to "miss the mark" on demand but on another level when there's virtually no quality control on your product that you're manufacturing millions of units for

dkeane

Red Ring of Death. It's why everyone I know who plays games gave up on Microsoft.
Why would they give them more money after Microsoft knowingly sold a defective product.

Davlicious

Neo Member
My feeling is RROD takes the cake. It was disenchanting from a consumer standpoint to see that level of blunder slip through the cracks. My 360 died playing RE5 coop shortly after it launched. When the Dreamcast launched some of the Sega published games didn't actually have any data on the discs. I returned 2 copies of Sonic Adventure to get a working copy.

fronn

IIRC, the Atari Jaguar had several really bad hardware bugs in the chips that made actually taking advantage of the hardware extremely difficult.

It was a guaranteed failure the way they released it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Cost perspective: RROD
Impact perspective: UDraw tablets literally sinking THQ
Stupidity perspective: NES/SNES Mini or Disney Infinity figures

Peltz

Virtual Boy's glued ribbon cables. The glue weakens over time and causes the system to get garbled graphics. It's pretty much unavoidable.

Fbh

RROD. It was just ridiculous. And if I remember correctly it took them quite a while to fix it. I remember people in forums talking about the "Jasper" or "sephyr" motherboards...they had to make like 3 waves of internal changes to fix the issue.

Since I have memory of playing games I've only had two consoles die on me...both of them were 360's

Gravy100

The official Dreamcast magazine gave away a demo disk with an action replay cheat thing on it which just after publication was found to bypass the security on the system and allow pirated games to be burnt onto CDs and played with ease.

The OFFICIAL Dreamcast magazine.

Metfanant

Wasn't Sony losing a ton on each PS3 sold even at $600? Or am I remembering wrong? I'd say either that or the RRoD.

Nintendo's bullshit isn't causing them regular losses at least, just loss of potential profit.

The PS3 was a Trojan Horse though...they sold it at that kind of loss to win a format war against HD-DVD...stand alone Blu-ray players were going for $900+ when the PS3 launched it was not only a gaming console, bit the best Blu-ray player on the market for $300+ less...

redcrayon

ET almost killed video games for good. Red ring cost Microsoft alot of money but they managed to recover. I wouldn't blame manufacturering though. ET was a hasty business decision to get a game out that failed and red ring was a poor design by the xbox engineers. The left joycon fiasco was probably more of a manufacturing mistake.
It might have almost killed video games in NA until Nintendo famously launched in the toy aisle, but it didn't affect Europe or Japan much.

Man, thinking about it it seemed if it was anyone else but MS wouldn't have survived the RROD, a design flaw do bad it cost over a billion dollars is insane. I worked retail and people who had the amount of red rings was rediculious.

Big Blue

RROD

Not only did it cost Microsoft millions, it shattered consumer confidence. Anecdotally, it's the reason why I switched to a PS3.

Peltz

The official Dreamcast magazine gave away a demo disk with an action replay cheat thing on it which just after publication was found to bypass the security on the system and allow pirated games to be burnt onto CDs and played with ease.

The OFFICIAL Dreamcast magazine.
Lol. Wow.

Top Bottom