• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the biggest manufacturing blunder in video game history?

While PS3 was not biggest manufacturing blunder in history it was biggest engineering blunder in history. $599 price tag and still taking over $200 hit per sold console. At the same time X360 costed $399 was sold with small loss and was pretty much equally powerful.

While PS3 was not biggest manufacturing blunder in history it was biggest engineering blunder in history. $599 price tag and still taking over $200 hit per sold console. At the same time X360 costed $399 was sold with small loss and was pretty much equally powerful.
This and RROD, both were disasters

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
uDraw-360.jpeg

Killed an entire company.

Prefer it in GIF form.

UDRAWmotionbox.gif

Original Xbox cost a fortune because they couldn't cost reduce the hardware, think Nvidia had them over a barrel, maybe Intel too. They made a constant loss, big reason why they killed it off. Basically what they paid day one was what they paid all the time for parts, ouch. Anyone want an 8GB hard drive...

Subsequently, rushing the 360, what a disaster that was, shows you how good the 360 was to survive that.
Shows how stupid gamers are, you mean.

That fiasco would have been a killing blow in any other industry.

Sulik2

The Diddy Kong disc is blowing my mind. Why? Why?

Shows how stupid gamers are, you mean.

That fiasco would have been a killing blow in any other industry.

It wasn't just Microsoft. The yellow light error on PS3 was caused by the same problem with lead free solder. All consumer electronics in the 2004-2008 range had horrible failure rates. Laptops were hit even harder then Xbox. Manufacturers hadn't figured out how to work with new solder properly yet. It didn't kill any company that had the issue.

Microsoft survived it because they had the best console that gen and did a bang up job with warranty coverage. Sony would have taken a much larger hit for all the yellow light failures if the red ring had not overshadowed it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The relatively lackluster production of Wii hardware at launch can't really be called a blunder, since the whole thing was such a gamble and it was too late to ramp up by the time it was apparent that it would be a hit. But man, the hype was so palpable across all demographics that year, it felt like they could have sold one to everybody if they had the stock.

Forward

I would put forth: the failed to launch SNES CD. The fallout over it, gave rise to the Playstation brand, AND Nintendo's stubborn stance of using carts for the 64. Both of these factors caused a massive shift in the industry... not in Nintendo's favor. Ninty lost their crown over it.

Hesh

In terms of scale, RRoD was a massive disaster, but it was a disaster Microsoft could and did survive. THQ gambled by putting all of their eggs into uDraw tablet production and its failure killed the company, so I think that gives it the edge over RRoD.

On a personal note, I specifically avoided the 360 after being an OG Xbox owner for years until I got confirmation of the Jasper mobo's improvements, some 3+ years after launch because I would absolutely not touch a 360 because of the RRoD issues.

Jubenhimer

I don't think anything can top the RRoD fiasco. It's so synonymous with the 360 at this point, you can't talk about the console without bringing it up.

JDazzle

Neo Member
The RROD issue was so common that UPS created a special box in which to send 360s in to be fixed.

I didn't believe it until I went to the UPS store to return my console (following the instructions MS gave me) and they reached for the special box as soon as they saw my 360.

NimbusD

I don't see how the classic limited edition consoles are manufacturing blunders? There's nothing wrong with the systems manufacturing... and as far as the number produced, it's a choice made in their board room to produce a certain amount. It sucks for the consumer but it achieves a very specific goal and does so beautifully.

But if we're expanding the definition of manufacturing blunders to stuff like that... The switch has that beat by far. That's their future and they fucked up by not looking to the possibility of their console being a hit. It's going to affect the life of a whole console, not just one time sales of a special edition classic console meant to drive interest and sales of current software and hardware.

RROD is where my vote goes. Literally the reason I never owned a 360 until a friend gave me their old one last year.

ET put the industry back years. It was a disaster for the entire industry.

Nothing really compares to the impact of that. Certainly not rrod. And udraw was devastating to THQ but the rest of the industry shrugged it off.

Lebon14

Wow, that's a thing. That's awesome. Gives more value to having this soundtrack. That's the reason why Darkmoon Cavern is not included!

What the fuck.
Wtf is the story here lol
The disc is the shape of his head!? What!?
Believe it or not, it will still work in your CD player. How it works is that the recording portion of the CD is cut off and is only large enough to hold all of the audio data. I've seen CDs where the recording portion is only the one song on the CD (a CD single of course) and the rest was transparent plastic. There's also "cd business cards" see:

50mb_rink_shape_business_card_cd-rom_silk-screened.jpg

And there's also this:
44edea36428ad3c259b54a969a151de3.jpg

That's a good way to damage a disc drive.

You can't damage a disc drive with that. The outer parts are just as big as a normal CD.

------------

On topic, imo, the only real blunders that come to mind was the RRoD for the 360 and it was really horrible. I know my friend was victim of it.

2008 hinge-gate?

righthinge.jpg

My hinge broke on my DS Lite, but it took longer than 1.5 years, and it was used quite heavily. I think it survived 5 years before it's hinge broke. I was also like the only person on Earth who's GameCube stopped working with DREs less than a year after I bought it lol. Luckily they were dirt cheap so I just bought another one. My OG PS2 dies with DREs after about a year and a half. I had bad luck that gen.

Technically this is software related but it's too funny not to mention. A while back there was a patch for EvE online, but they mistakenly put the incorrect installation pathway for the patch and it ended up writing over an important system folder and borked your machine. If I remember correctly it erased your boot.ini sole or something and you had to reinstall Windows. Not as costly as RROD or anything like that but still pretty egregious.

Xyrmellon

You guys typing out red ring of death and capitalizing it made me think there was some old pc game Microsoft poured money into and then cancelled. Then I realized I was an idiot.

It does sound like a pc game from the 90s though. Or a bitchin kung fu flick.

I don't see how the classic limited edition consoles are manufacturing blunders? There's nothing wrong with the systems manufacturing... and as far as the number produced, it's a choice made in their board room to produce a certain amount. It sucks for the consumer but it achieves a very specific goal and does so beautifully.

r/hailcorporate is leaking into GAF.

Top Bottom