• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst farming/grinding you've had to do in a game to get an item?

World of Warcraft. I spent a month killing cultists in Silithus to become exalted with the Cenarion Circle so I could get the Kris of Unspoken Names. I can't remember what I was using at the time, probably a Staff or Jordan, but it was a massive upgrade.

renzolama

In terms of a single experience, I sat a character in a boss spawn room in Everquest for about eighteen hours straight when I was a teenager to wait in line for some dumb haste boots. Actually, they weren't dumb, they were awesome, I was the l33test, fastest Necromancer in Norrath and everyone who watched me sprint past wanted to be me.

Destiny in general. A lot of grinding went on and it was new for someone like me who generally stayed away from MMO type games. I think the loot cave is probably the most mindless grinding I've ever done. I promised myself I would never grind in a game ever again and so far I've stayed from any game that is more mundane work than enjoyable.

Toxi

Banned
Farming Proofs of Concord Kept in Dark Souls 3 is easily one of the worst, at least before the recent patch that made it easier to be summoned as a Darkmoon/Blue Sentinel. I have likely killed over a thousand Silver Knights to get Darkmoon Blade, and that was with the Symbol of Avarice, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, offhand Crystal Rapier, and Rusted Coin boosting item discovery. I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel maybe 5 times while farming, so my skill at PvP wasn't even part of the equation.

Pure Bladestone doesn't come close to that pain.

Couleurs

Still true. Sitting taking days to get a chance at a drop, or months to finish your epic quest because a hilarious amount of people are camping the spawn. A time before instances. Yep.

I had to suffer through the Cleric epic Ragefire camp multiple times (one for me, one for my GF at the time, then helping the other clerics in my raid group).

Fuck. That. Shit.

Impotaku

I've never heard of this, it looks awesome.

It basically kills everything with one shot and it has infinite ammo and a unlimited fire rate, totally renders the game stupidly easy if you use it. It's more of a comedy weapon but by the time you get it unlocked you have pretty much done everything there is. Still a joy to use though to vent frustration on everything & anything in your path. As hardcore mode is truly the thing of nightmares to complete. No checkpoints & only 3 saves for the entire game while enduring the crushing difficulty.

It's worth seeing in action lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS86rAT4W0

13ruce

Banned
Runescape all of it from bronze to rune and from rune to dragon and barrows, bandos and higher.

It took me 10 years to max out all skills and get the max cape.

I spent like 14 hours one day
grinding the Mad Warrior set in Dark Souls II 😅😅😅😧😧😧😧

Wood Man

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. Everything about the game. I poured so many hours into that game only to have a skeleton community withing a couple months.But once you found a good crew I could sit there for hours replaying the same level over & over.

tsundoku

Oh fuck me its actually some garbage in Maple Story but I was a child then and Shifter 2.0 is a more recent egregious offense

It wasn't an item, but I spent literally two weeks of my life looking for a Chansey in the one little bit of grass you can find them in Pokemon Gold. Playing it every single day, looking for it, I was convinced at one point my game just didn't have chansey, like it was glitched.

Ritzboof

i used to play elsword, and there was a certain "title" that you would get if you ran a certain dungeon 800 times. it was the best in the game at the time and still is (absurd amazing perks with great proc rates), and i decided for once in my life i need to accomplish something intense, but im really impatient, so i did it all in one go more or less

for 16 or 17 days every day, the minute i woke up, i would run this stupid dungeon non stop until i went back to sleep. i wrote a diary for every day i did it and it was a mind numbing adventure. it was worth being so OP though

Grassy

Not a particular item but it took me ~150 hours to get my first Legendary in vanilla Diablo 3. I hated it but I just had to keep playing until one dropped, and of course when one finally did it was shit and wasn't even usable by my barbarian. They ended up getting rid of the real money auction house and greatly increasing the Legendary drop rate so they drop like flies now.

Again not a particular item but I farmed that fucking loot cave in Destiny for more hours than I care to remember. Just standing back with a few other randoms spamming the entrance, grabbing the Engrams and items, rinse repeat...that was mind-numbing but it was easily the best way to get Engrams back then.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. Everything about the game. I poured so many hours into that game only to have a skeleton community withing a couple months.But once you found a good crew I could sit there for hours replaying the same level over & over.

This game really need to be on Steam at some point, so that it could stay alive with a niche community that would keep it going by themselves.

ReMaKe

Should have bought it from Xur during the early weeks, my dude.

But for me, Dark Souls 3. I basically committed genocide against the silver knights. It was then I started questioning my pursuit of achievements.

Lmfao. In the same boat. Do you like the amount of silver knight armor you have? I feel as I can build a whole army of knights wearing silver knight armor.

David___

Banned
I remember grinding the G3 in Warframe to get Brakk parts for a couple weeks on the PS4 iirc. RNG within RNG. One of the main reasons why I won't start over on PC

LogN

Everquest, Cleric and Rogue legendary weapons for Ruins of Kunark.

Took us about 4 months total, having to compete with others on the servers for spawns that were a possibility in a 36 hour window.

This was pre-broadband (for my area anyhow) so we had two phone lines in the house and would call each other during the night to take shifts sleeping during those 36 hours.

Drake

Fissure of Woe armor in the original Guild Wars. Probably took me 8 months to get and that was farming probably 2 to 3 hours a day. Farming Ecto was a 2 man job because they could only be found in 1 area and it was super high level. The armor smith to forge the armor was also found in the middle of one of the hardest areas of the game (The Fissure of Woe), so just getting to the armor smith was not easy and it had to be done with an 8 man group.

Rixxan

Grand Warlord during original WoW honor system days

Didn't make it - stopped at champion after a couple weeks, was a really unhealthy time requirement

rec0ded1

Probably wow for the molten core shit and before that secret of Mana levels but I've learned that grinding for shit ain't worth it as I've gotten older. Enjoy the ride and finish the story. Fuck MMOs son and go outside instead.

Silvawuff

Got Invincible, Mimiron's Head, Al'ar, double Warglaives, Flametalon, and other assorted mounts 'n stuff from WoW.

Longest grind for something was probably trying to get Duelist's Chapeau from Dynamis - Xarcabard in FFXI. Took over a year of running it twice a week.

Izuna

Banned
DMC4 grinding was the worst in principle

Destiny exotic sword farming was the fucking worst

edit: they were fine when you knew the exploit at least

Aalvi

The more busier I get the less I tolerant and desire bloat and grinds in games. I just want to play a variety of experiences and get to the good stuff with appropriate pacing.

for me off the top of my head it would probably be something like DMC4 blood orb grinding. I did all sorts of grinding back in the day.

Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls. Never got it to drop.

Also, Gutsy Bat in Earthbound. And apparently the included guide had a typo on which enemy dropped it. By the time I learned about it years later, I had stopped caring.

Move find item on Final Fantasy Tactics.
I walked over every single square in that game.

Since that, RPGs and open world games can't appeal me. Burned out I guess, lol

Earthbound, getting I believe the sword for poo

It was a super low drop rate, in a boring area to grind, and the thing wasn't even worth the effort.

Marceles

It's a toss between...I forgot what NM it was in FFXI, but it was gear for the DNC class to double attack consistently?? I can't remember what the gear was...but it was either that or to get RDM Joyeuse sword. Strangely I think both NMs were octupuses.

Baleoce

OG relic, or mythic in FFXI. Couldn't be arsed with that shit myself, but helped a few ls leaders out with theirs back in the day.

For me it was probably maats cap. And that was less farming, and just lots and lots of leveling.

one of the metroidvanias; left right left right outta of the rooms a bazillion times to mine something or another. Took me forever if I remember it right. And of course, because you're doing it repeatedly, 1-2 time I'll back out of the room once the item drops and go "FUCCKKKK".

Witcher 3. Farming the cyclops in Skelliege just so I can get to the appropriate level to wear the Ursine set. The process did teach me how good whirl actually is if you want to deal some quick and consistent damage.

Top Bottom