• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegas Security Guard disappears right before TV interviews (update: debunked)

shandy706

I sort of ignored this when I only saw it on Fox News. It's on all the outlets now.

Hickey was helping Campos get ready for his TV appearances in a Las Vegas hotel on Thursday when the guard disappeared. Hickey told the Times he was in a meeting in one room with MGM, which owns the Mandalay Bay Resort, while Campos sat in the other room but when he returned around 2 p.m., Campos was gone.

After not hearing from the guard, Hickey canceled his appearances. Hickey later heard that the guard had gone to a Quick Care clinic, but the clinic said Campos was never there.

The conflicting reports may have made the guy nervous, no telling. Hopefully it's nothing more than that.

Las Vegas Metro Police Undersheriff Kevin McMahill had told KNPR, a local NPR affiliate, that Campos was on the 32nd floor to check on a door alarm when he noticed that the stairwell door was blocked. He radioed a maintenance worker, who arrived and when the two started talking, then Paddock started shooting the door of his room.

But a former guard told the LA Times that the Mandalay Bay has no alarm system for doors.

Dishwalla

Banned
What if he's in some sort of witness protection type deal? I'm sure the FBI is questioning the dude like crazy, maybe they are keeping him out of the spotlight while their investigation is ongoing.

Z_Y

This must have been the guy who repaired the windows on the 4th floor where the second gunmen was before all the cops got there.

KingK

More fodder for conspiracy nuts. Great.
Yeah, I didn't realize there were conspiracy theories about this one until I went home this weekend. One of my friends was going on about how he was convinced there was a second shooter. He didn't claim to be sure of any reasoning or cover-up or anything, just that there was a second shooter, and the whole thing was suspicious.

Sounds like the dude wanted to get in the spotlight but then his white lie grew too big and he got outta dodge before his name would be dragged through the mud.

Interesting tidbit on the open door alarm that doesn't exist at the hotel according to another securiy guard who used to work there.
fuel for conspiracy nuts foo.

bunbun777

Conspiracy nut is a bullshit term. Questioning events and attempting to come up with answers does not make everyone into some kind of Alex Jones.

Conspiracy nut is a bullshit term. Questioning events and attempting to come up with answers does not make everyone into some kind of Alex Jones.

I reserve it for fringe elements who build a whole theory on one or two new bits of information. 9/11 demolition conspiracy nuts, Vegas shooter was a false flag conspiracy nuts. Etc. nuts. Unhinged. More interested in dramatic fiction than reality.

Conspiracy theories were kicked up anew on 12 October 2017, when the 24-year-old Campos abruptly cancelled media interviews, including a scheduled appearance on Sean Hannity’s popular Fox News show.

Although many may find it unsurprising that a person who narrowly escaped mass murder days earlier would want to lay low, the cancelled appearances caused a cascade of meltdowns among the conspiracy-minded and attention-seeking. For example, in all-capital letters, Ann Coulter tweeted, “MANDALAY BAY SECURITY GUARD, JESUS CAMPOS, NOW MISSING AFTER SCHEDULING 5 MEDIA INTERVIEWS.” Self-deputized “investigative journalist” Laura Loomer declared, “If #JesusCampos is truly a hero, why would he cancel his interview with @seanhannity ? That’s like ripping up a winning lotery [sic] ticket!”

I love how the alt-right are going batshit insane.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So there is actually two workers who were present when Paddock shot, the other probably hasn’t disappeared.

So you willl just read twitter social media and forums?
Or are you done with the internet.

I mean, you have to understand the poster's frustration. By and large, the US media has indeed been trash and there are plenty of examples in tons of situations to justify that. From local outlets to large national ones. Even "saviors" like the NYT and WaPo. And especially cable news.

It's disheartening. Even with some of the good they're doing.

TheJLC

Conspiracist in me: "He'll be found having committed "suicide" by shooting himself 5 times in the back."

Realist in me: Dude likes his privacy. Let him be.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Imagine being Campos and being harassed by psychopathic truthers, you just endured the worst mass shooting in American history, you have a lot of regret about what happened, wondering if you should've sacrificed yourself to maybe take him down, considering all the variables of that night, all of which likely caused PTSD.

You don't know the exact details of the timeline, you're about to go on TV and are advised not to talk about the timeline because the official timeline isn't known. It's not like you were looking at your watch when you did a rudimentary room check and were shot at. One second you were checking out a typical door ajar issue and the next you're in a warzone and all you hear is shooting. You think about the other people in the hotel. You need help from the cops. Your ears are ringing.

And now you're about to go get interviewed and have to not say anything about what happened except general details. Specifics, you can't talk about, timelines, you don't know.

I mean, you have to understand the poster's frustration. By and large, the US media has indeed been trash and there are plenty of examples in tons of situations to justify that. From local outlets to large national ones. Even "saviors" like the NYT and WaPo. And especially cable news.

It's disheartening. Even with some of the good they're doing.

Trash compared to what?
What is the benchmark that they fall short of?

I happen to think that if you know where "they are coming from" then the MSM is going to be the best source just like it always was and within this there is a hierarchy: hear it on BBC, NYT, etc, and it's most likely the closest to the truth at the time.
Everything else is more unreliable and outright dangerous. You can take scraps from twitter and Facebook etc but you need your wits about you. Particularly for subjects where you have a strong preconception and hear confirming news.

More so now that the social media AIs given half chance think they know our bias, and serve up stuff to feed it.

When I hear the BBC hourly news I know they don't know what I want to hear. I prefer that. It's not perfect but shit it's better than the hell of getting news from a socIal media algorithm.

JWiLL

Banned

WedgeX

Banned
To be fair...this Snopes "article" doesn't really prove that he's not missing, either. He still left the day of his interviews and apparently went to a walk-in clinic, then hasn't been heard from since.

They added some info about how people deal with these tragedies from a Sandy Hook survivor, but other than that there wasn't much new info.

It says that the LV police know where he is. Not sure how that can be more clear?

Lautaro

I’ve managed to not hear anything. Are they saying this was a ‘false-flag’?

Since they found out the killer was white.

Sigh, 4chan has been going wild with conspiracy theories from day one. It seems is working if it's reaching the media.

JWiLL

Banned
It says that the LV police know where he is. Not sure how that can be more clear?

Sounded more like a "there's no missing report" more than they know where he is. Makes sense that he's under protection from the wacko conspiracy theorists though.

It is a bit strange overall though. The other person mentions him wanting to tell his story, but perhaps they thought any further media coverage would just stir the pot more and create an even more dangerous environment for him.

I bet the guy is getting death threats and everything, being blamed as the second shooter, being used by far right idiots as a minority scapegoat, all this after almost being killed during a mass murder... I don’t blame him one bit for laying low. He’s talked to police, his done his part, he doesn’t owe reporters a scoop.

- Name/info of victim of some act of terror gets released
- Conspiracy theorists harass victim
- Victim goes into hiding to avoid harassment
- The going into hiding is now part of the conspiracy

The feedback loop these sick fucks create is horrifying.

DrSlek

To be fair...this Snopes "article" doesn't really prove that he's not missing, either. He still left the day of his interviews and apparently went to a walk-in clinic, then hasn't been heard from since.

They added some info about how people deal with these tragedies from a Sandy Hook survivor, but other than that there wasn't much new info.

In big type at the top of the page it essentially says "We contacted police and were told he's not missing".

Top Bottom