• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

No. They need some mindblowing game and a big price drop for me to even consider it. The price tag in particular. The cost is flat out insulting.

RoKKeR

I need a price drop before I'm in, but it was a step in the right direction. Lots of awesome titles I'm interested in.

I see what you're saying, but shouldn't we, at the very least, await to see how Nintendo's Wii U sales actually compare to their forecasted sales, on the deadline they have provided?

I apologise Steve, I'm just not a huge fan of panic analysis.

Fair enough. I'm just extrapolating from what we've seen so far, and I don't see anyway they hit that number. The bulk of it was always going to have to come from the holiday rush. Good on them if they prove me wrong.

My feelings as well. The latest Nintendo Direct has really piqued my interest and I feel I may purchase one after E3 since I feel any announcements or reveals then will be the final push I need.

I just wanted to quote this post because I'm happy whenever anyone uses the correct word. Yay!

No, they haven't... far from it. I get a bad feeling from everything about the Wii U.
But when Smash Bros and 3D Mario comes along, I probably will buy it. I have faith in Sakurai and Koizumi.

I don't really trust Nintendo anymore, apart from those guys.

They lead teams with more autonomy than the rest of the company. The current approach at Nintendo is overly self-referential and dumbed down... the result is a form of self-conscious pastiche with a new coat of paint applied. It might be good, but it's hardly innovative.

Without a strong, focused artistic vision, a great tradition at Nintendo is dying. In the long run I think they're shooting themself in the foot by playing it safe, because a lot of talent goes to waste. There's not much room for pushing the envelope when you're conscious about pandering to what "the market wants", because generally that's thinking small. There is a streak of genius at Nintendo, but it's being held back by a perceived fiscal common sense. Come on Iwata, kick up the dust!

Ryuuga

Banned
Quite a lot of disinterested folks or fencesitters, I guess it's because strong first-party titles wasn't what was needed in order to convince potential buyers.

ZimbAdam

Yup.

Nintendo usuals + Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, X, Zombi U, Rayman Legends... that right there is a load of games that I'm highly interested in.

Definitely considering getting one later this year.

FE X SMT was a cool surprise.

I was always going to buy one since i buy all consoles and handhelds, but i don't have an urge to go out and buy one today. Once these games start coming out, i'll jump on it. These games will also probably coincide with a price cut which makes waiting even better. I won't be spending a dime on their eshop (3DS or WiiU) until they announce an account system.

Now, if you're not into Nintendo games or Japanese games then this would do nothing for you. They need more 3rd party announcements.

I was born in 1997. Due to that fact, I completely missed the whole Mario craze. Got a Wii and collected dust in a corner for almost 3 years. Don't ever plan on buying another Nintendo Console. It's not because it has no "hardcore" games, it's just the simple fact that I wasn't born when Nintendo was king.

abasm

Not really. I'm not going to even think about buying any more game systems until games I want are actually *out* for the thing.

... Which means I'll probably purchase the system the day SSB4 releases.

Gannd

Banned
I was born in 1997. Due to that fact, I completely missed the whole Mario craze. Got a Wii and collected dust in a corner for almost 3 years. Don't ever plan on buying another Nintendo Console. It's not because it has no "hardcore" games, it's just the simple fact that I wasn't born when Nintendo was king.

Fuck. You were 8 years old when the Xbox 360 released. *mind blown* and I feel old.

DaBoss

Don't let Baconsammy troll you guys, you're better than that.

Come on now, he isn't trolling, he is making a reasonable assessment of the current situation of the Wii U.

You don't need to have been born before to think Nintendo games are good.

Yes but not right away, i'll eventually buy a wii u when they sort out the flaws and errors in the system and have enough games already out and dirt cheap too.

I usually buy the console in the 4th to 6th year when they're dirt cheap that is if they don't take out features like (GC removed from Wii) from the console.

Rich!

I'm going to flip this question around a bit.

Has Nintendo convinced me not to sell my Wii U? Well, it entirely depended on this ND. Thanks to Xenoblade's successor, I will probably play this console until the end of time

I'm happy.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the price is too high, the graphics aren't enough of a leap, and the controller hasnt proven it's utility in my eyes yet.

Quixz

Short answer NOPE!

With Sony and Microsoft consoles on the way it would be a mistake I feel. The Wii U is not cheap.

Xilium

No, I'm more interested in the third parties. Nintendo first party titles, Bayonetta, and Wonderful 101 do nothing for me and I'm taking a wait and see approach with the Monolith game (wasn't the biggest Xenoblade fan).

Chances are that if I ever get the Wii U, it'll be late in it's life where I can just buy all the exclusive games I would want to play on it then. I'm personally not expecting there to be too many of those.

Videoneon

You think I play Ninnytendo? LOL. I did that when I was kid. Who are you kidding, graphics > gameplay

Upon launch there wasn't much I cared about, but I'm more interested. I ended up with about eight or nine games for my Wii. I know on some level I'm going to get one down the line, but there's a bit more hope I'm not going to end up with few games I was truly interested in as with the Wii. I've thought about whether it may be worth getting during the next American holiday season, but what about the HD Twins? I'll probably wait a few months or a year for them too.

nope, I've grown tired of continuously being disappointed by Nintendo's console decisions.

I love their IP but they've grown derivative over the years and I need something more to fill in the gaps between those releases and Nintendo has shown they're content with continuing to alienate 3rd parties.

I won't buy 2 consoles.

I already have one because this isn't surprising to me. This is Nintendo and they never failed to deliver awesome games for pushing their systems and show the best examples in creativity and ingeniosity regarding the use of their systems specs.

Wonderful 101 is for me one of the best example here.

TheNatural

My Member!
Only an idiot would believe these games weren't coming, and some are obviously so far off Nintendo is trying everything to keep the Wii U from drowning in the meantime. Zelda is probably a 2015 title. Smash 2014 sometime. And both Mario and Mario Kart hopefully get out this year.

Very N64 esque time. Announcing far off games and no third party support. Everyone knew the big titles were eventually coming, but what about months long gaps with mediocre nothingness until then?

lumzi23

I was but then my excitement started waning...

THEN I look at that Monilith X game (thanks to this thread), and I am like "WoW!"

Does Nintendo Direct have any other game videos? Never mind, I'll just go check.

ViolentP

I own one and I have to say, new Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda remake, Yoshi, Smash Bros., and Pikmin games aren't making me feel better about the purchase. I walked in expecting these things so they are of little surprise. Many have also become stagnant in the last few years with so many similar iterations.

The new stuff they showed today was cool, but the purchase is still far from validated according to my wallet.

Hex

Banned
No.
With Nintendo consoles, you know that you will get first party games so that is not a big deal maker or breaker to me because while I enjoy the occasional Mario session I am not a huge fan and I have a 3ds for those needs.
Even then there are promises more than realities and to be honest this is something that many companies have been guilty of.
But I am not going to shell out for a new system just for Nintendo games, and none of this new stuff moves me.
I LOVE megaten. I would LOVE a new megaten game. But no, it is a crossover game which while it may end up great cross over games usually feel like fan service to me and end unsatisfying.
X Looks interesting, but when?
We knew a new Zelda was coming.
We will see what the next few months reveal.

I already did buy one at launch, and returned it within the return period. This doesn't make me regret my decision, but it increases the chance that I may buy another one in the future when it will inevitably be cheaper. Right now, it's all promises. We'll see how improved the UI response is. And Nintendo, obviously in desperation mode, announced a lot of games that are still a far ways off. Makes me wonder if they blew their load early and we won't see many new announcements for a while. I won't buy another Wii U yet, based on such early showings. Ask the people who bought PS3s for Last Guardian or Versus how that's working out. But it's good to see Nintendo come out with some pleasant surprises. We have a lot of time, and the launches of 2 other gaming powerhouses to see how things pan out.

All these Nintendo threads are starting to make me consider it. They have a lot of titles I would like to play but I'm going to wait until I know what the competition is offering first.

lol no, it's just the same old franchises despite maybe X. But I am not a huge fan of Xenoblade, only the first half of the game was fun.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I wasn't convinced until I read the OP. I now want one, but I can't help but remember all the threads about lockups. Sort it out Nintendo, and I'll be sending you money pretty soon.

BlackJace

I find it funny that the people claiming "same, tired, rehashed franchises" are the same ones who will be lining up for the forth, fifth, and sixth iterations of Sony and Microsoft's IPs.

There's nothing wrong with delivering tried and true franchises that people enjoy.

fin

Nope, waiting for a price drop or Retro's game or Metroid Prime 4 or something new. X looks pretty cool but probably a ways off yet. So no rush to buy. Prime Trilogy HD without pointer control would be impulse buy territory though.

Top Bottom