• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls headed for Japanese arcades

This is HUGE news for Skullgirls. I had hopes for an arcade release over here, but I didn't even think getting on the NESICA system was a possibility.

The Nesica cabinets are fantastic because they store dozens of games on them, making them a good value for arcades. Persona 4: Arena and BlazBlue get a ton of love on our local machines, and it's fantastic because we can just switch back and forth with no problem. If I remember correctly, Aquapazza and Arcana Heart 3 are also on the system, along with a dozen shooters and such.

If Skullgirls makes use of the NESICA card, the game has a chance to be massive. Console-only fighting games have small scenes here, but the ones that hit the arcade are pretty much guaranteed to live on, provided they're at least pretty good.

My fingers are crossed for you guys. This is the chance of lifetime, and that's ignoring the accomplishment of being a western developer with a game in Japanese arcades!

The card in question:
BKxBFYwCQAAKuvH.jpg:large

There are dozens of different designs, but one card works for every game on the NESICA system provided they support its use. You use the card to access/unlock colors, spend digital currency you earn through VS matches etc. It's a fantastic system and one of the reasons arcades here are so great.

This is HUGE news for Skullgirls. I had hopes for an arcade release over here, but I didn't even think getting on the NESICA system was a possibility.

The Nesica cabinets are fantastic because they store dozens of games on them, making them a good value for arcades. Persona 4: Arena and BlazBlue get a ton of love on our local machines, and it's fantastic because we can just switch back and forth with no problem. If I remember correctly, Aquapazza and Arcana Heart 3 are also on the system, along with a dozen shooters and such.

If Skullgirls makes use of the NESICA card, the game has a chance to be massive. Console-only fighting games have small scenes here, but the ones that hit the arcade are pretty much guaranteed to live on, provided they're at least pretty good.

My fingers are crossed for you guys. This is the chance of lifetime, and that's ignoring the accomplishment of being a western developer with a game in Japanese arcades!

The card in question:

There are dozens of different designs, but one card works for every game on the NESICA system provided they support its use. You use the card to access/unlock colors, spend digital currency you earn through VS matches etc. It's a fantastic system and one of the reasons arcades here are so great.

I'm so fucking jealous of you guys like you have no idea. I want a card system damn it, every game that manages to get here that usually has one needs to have it removed >___<

El Sloth

Banned
Impressive to see such a distinctively Western game make it to Japanese arcades.

Wait a minute.
Every time I hear or see a Japanese person talk about what they like about the game they always mention they like its, "distinctly western cartoon visuals." Paraphrased of course.

Folks here see and focus on one thing and they see another.

Impressive to see such a distinctively Western game make it to Japanese arcades.

Wait a minute.

The Japanese fighting game players I know here certainly think it has a very distinctive western cartoon-style. It's part of the reason they dig it.

Anecdotal sure, but still.

Riposte

Oh great, another one of those OH NOTHING CAN TOP GLORIOUS HOLY NIPPON! THE MOTHERLAND OF SUPERIOR GAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE DISTINCTLY JAPONESE!

How about NO.

If you say western fighting games are bad, you are pretty much saying you think Skullgirls and the games Netherrealms make are bad. Of the two, I only like Skullgirls. Any deeper than that and you dive into the trash heap.

If you say western fighting games are bad, you are pretty much saying you think Skullgirls and the games Netherrealms make are bad. Of the two, I only like Skullgirls. Any deeper than that and you dive into the trash heap.

America has had it's share of good fighting games. Primal Rage was pretty decent once you got used to its combo system. Killer Instinct was mashing good fun with depth. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had some chops. Mortal Kombat 2 was a good representation of the fun of frame counting and mastering the ninja kicks.

Japan isn't the only one that can make good fighting games. It always reminds me of some anime nerd saying only the motherland of Japan can produce good fighting games. Anyone can make good games in any genre. Not just Japan.

Risette

A Good Citizen
America has had it's share of good fighting games. Primal Rage was pretty decent once you got used to its combo system. Killer Instinct was mashing good fun with depth. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had some chops. Mortal Kombat 2 was a good representation of the fun of frame counting and mastering the ninja kicks.

Japan isn't the only one that can make good fighting games. It always reminds me of some anime nerd saying only the motherland of Japan can produce good fighting games. Anyone can make good games in any genre. Not just Japan.
you are diving into the trash heap

Riposte

You are even going as far as to name Primal Rage? Dumpster diving.

Shito

Is absolutely impossible to see any NESiCA game outside Japan: It's a network system who works ONLY in Japan and you cannot buy the cabinet/PCB, Taito uses a monthy rent system and 30% of every credit is for Taito.
Hmmmm, I've seen some P4A cabinets here in France.
The card system doesn't work, of course, but the game does.

Congrats to the team, because this is big. Fuck getting arcade ports, they went from the digital download realm and made the arcade port them.

Ravidrath

That's pretty awesome news. Interested to see what Japan thinks of the game.

It's already doing well on JP PSN. It sold more in the first two weeks than Cyberfront expected it to sell in its lifetime, and was on the JP PSN Top 10 for a few months.

And all the reviews I've seen have all been really positive, praising the gameplay and the visuals.

The only complaint I've seen so far is that the story mode is a little cheap, which... well, it is. But it's a $15 game.

El Sloth

Banned
That's pretty awesome news. Interested to see what Japan thinks of the game.
Well, the game has been out on the Japanese PSN for a while now and was consistently in the top 10 for good long while after release.

Apparently it sold more than the Japanese publisher's projected LTD sales in it's 2nd week.

Edit: beaten by the man who would know best.

We already had scsry looking combos come out Japan like 1 week into the release over there. Fucking Fortune loops.

It's already doing well on JP PSN. It sold more in the first two weeks than Cyberfront expected it to sell in its lifetime, and was on the JP PSN Top 10 for a few months.

And all the reviews I've seen have all been really positive, praising the gameplay and the visuals.

The only complaint I've seen so far is that the story mode is a little cheap, which... well, it is. But it's a $15 game.

Yup. A lot of the dudes I know down here play it, but not as seriously as other games because there's no arcade version.

This is huge for you guys. Can't believe it.

America has had it's share of good fighting games. Primal Rage was pretty decent once you got used to its combo system.
America has had it's share of good fighting games. Primal Rage
Primal Rage
iedgdiqHuvSLv.gif

On-topic, I'm happy for y'all.

SolarPowered may quote that for posterity.

I wouldn't know about P4U, but we do have BBCSEX and it's like that too. Console mod was the one UMvC3 we had there for a while.

Definitely interesting because even Arcade owners in the US are trying to hack NESiCAxLive without good results, what Arcade do you visit? it is famous in France?

Definitely interesting because even Arcade owners in the US are trying to hack NESiCAxLive without good results, what Arcade do you visit? it is famous in France?

Random Mexican arcade actually. Still, to be honest it was more like an update to CSII. I'm not saying that because that's what Extend was, I'm saying it because the fucking title screen and opening animation literally still says CSII but it has all of the Extend content.

Random Mexican arcade actually. Still, to be honest it was more like an update to CSII. I'm not saying that because that's what Extend was, I'm saying it because the fucking title screen and opening animation literally still says CSII but it has all of the Extend content.

It seems that what you saw was CSII with the console DLC characters. It can be updated with a special disc for Type-X2 and was, in fact, the last Blazblue release for Type-X2 without NESiCAxLive.

Nope, that's correct.

The arcade version of CSII got updated to include the Extend content, but the name didn't change. It also didn't get the new opening animation either. The final version of CSII, containing all the Extend stuff, was still called CSII.

EDIT: At least the final version of CSII on the NESICA cabinets at my local place were that way.

Chavelo

Wait, SBO is dead? I know there were a lot of problems with how last year's event went, but I didn't know it got shuttered afterwards.

It was on its last legs and people thought they were over, and the only reason it was brought back last year was because they were a sideshow for a bigger video game event that brought them in.

Tizoc

That's great to hear, and I hope the arcade release will do well for you guys =)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh man that sounds awesome.

Congrats Skullgirls

Top Bottom