• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny2112

Summary:
New 3DS firmware coming April 25 in the U.S. will bring folders to the main menu screen and retail game patching. Possibly more, but don't count on it.

Folders:
  • Can hold 60 items.
  • Will use a number, by default, but can be changed.
  • In Japanese, a named folder will be identified by the first character of the full name. In English, it'll be the first letter of the full name. The full name will display on the top screen, though.
  • They're blue and have their own rotating 3-D icon. (JPN Video - EU Video)

Patches:
  • Patching retail software will be added.
  • Mario Kart 7 patch comes in mid-May. Fixes glitches that allow unintended shortcuts in the races (e.g. Maka Wuhu).
  • For Japan, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance and New Love Plus will be patched at some point in the future, too.

Original Post:

The new folder firmware update for 3DS is coming April 25 in the U.S. It also allows for game patches. (Japan) Patches for Mario Kart 7, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, and New Love Plus coming.

https://twitter.com/#!/NintendoAmerica/status/193545921345228800

Besides patching support, no word, yet, on any other new features. From the Nintendo Direct video, there will be plenty of room for items in the folders, and you can name them. :)

From Nintendo Direct video:
Cheesemeister said:
There will be lots of new apps, so we've heard lots of people saying there are too many to keep track of on the front page. Patches support.
https://twitter.com/#!/Cheesemeister3k/status/193542195075219457

Edit: (Thanks, Why would you do that?)
http://andriasang.com/con0rg/3ds_firmware_update/
AndriaSang said:
A 3DS firmware update is coming soon.

This will add folder functionality to the home menu. You can store up to 60 items in a single folder. You can also give names to each folder. The first character of the name is shown in the folder's icon.

The firmware will also add support for software version up/patches. Nintendo's first patch will be Mario Kart 7. The patch will fix some shortcut issues with the game. Iwata apologies for causing players inconvenience.

k9cu3.jpg

Folder video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PshLM1v1vOY

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay Sony now its your turn to get folders on Vita - thx.

5amshift

Banned
People are freaking out about folders hahah.
There's barely enough content to warrant folders. Pretty sure not a lot of people have THAT many programs taking up home screen space.

Since nobody posted a thread about this, I thought I would...
Whoops...

[QUOTE="AndriaSang]A 3DS firmware update is coming soon.

This will add folder functionality to the home menu. You can store up to 60 items in a single folder. You can also give names to each folder. The first character of the name is shown in the folder's icon.

The firmware will also add support for software version up/patches. Nintendo's first patch will be Mario Kart 7. The patch will fix some shortcut issues with the game. Iwata apologies for causing players inconvenience.[/QUOTE]

k9cu3.jpg

Folder video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PshLM1v1vOY

wwm0nkey

There's barely enough content to warrant folders. Pretty sure not a lot of people have THAT many programs taking up home screen space.

Its good for the future of the platform when it does get a lot of downloadable content and it does have a good selection right now.

Also the biggest news is PATCHES!

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Everyone who bought it before let's say the eshop updates has let's see, about 5 free 3DS apps, 20 Ambassador games, and a free version of Excitebike and Zelda 4 Swords. That's not even including the dozen or so that every 3DS started with.

Incorrect, I have too much shit on there that needs sorting. It bugs me that resizing the icons breaks my organisation of them as well! This fixes that :p

More excited about the fact that already released games can be patched though, it opens up a lot of possibilities and will help fix and renew things

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is.

I've a ton of videos, demos, VC, and a few eShop games.
And for those who use DSiWare on their 3DS, even more so. Looks like a cluttered mess despite my best organizing efforts.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

You'd be surprised. I download nearly all the demos, I downloaded the E3 videos which are no longer available (which I want to keep... don't judge me), ambassador games, and other games make for a cluttered home screen. Folders are welcomed.

Whats does MK7 need a patch for?

There are areas of tracks (Maka Wuhu) where you can go off the track and be placed further ahead in the race by Lakitu. You can cheat essentially. They're fixing it.

I think the better prospect is the idea that they can possibly add new items or modes to games now if need be.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder how Patching Mario Kart is gonna work? I thought the game had to be developed with patching in mind for it to work?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure if you downloaded absolutely everything that was free since the launch of the eshop you'd be somewhere over 50 maybe even 60 items on your home screen.

I know I deleted all of the demo videos from e3 and other downloadable trailers.

Zomba13

Folders all over my touch screen!

I'm super excited for them. I like my home screens to be as tidy as possible and with these I can sort my GBA and NES and 3D classics and DSi ware etc all nicely :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They'll add a weeping Waluigi to be placed behind the glass of the ball shooter in Waluigi Pinball just looking in on the race at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom