• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars: Chaos on stage after 'Moonlight' wins best Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2017/02/watch-w...unced-oscars-la-la-land-moonlight-1202008384/

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/836082911593934848
Memes where you at!
psl5QxX.jpg

Yg0fpp2.jpg

JBD5zor.jpg

NTIqRrd.jpg

BkLHk70.jpg

PVBv4so.jpg

kXC5pJN.jpg

Mcj7RB2.jpg

TGlxhov.jpg

Edit another stream link:
https://streamable.com/fitup

Loxley

It's kind of shocking that in the 89-year history of the Oscars that this has never happened before. Y'all nearly made it a century without a major fuck-up, bummer.

At any rate, I think both films were deserving of the award (though I was pulling for Moonlight). Props to the La La Land producer who righted the ship. Dude must have been pissed in like eight different ways, but he handled it well all things considered.

louiedog

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here since it's got some explanation on how it can happen.

Huffington Post did an article on what would happen if the wrong name was read just yesterday.

Throughout the telecast, Cullinan and Ruiz are stationed on opposite sides backstage. The duo will have memorized the winners, thereby preventing the need to list them on any documentation that could land in the wrong hands. As the night progresses, Cullinan and Ruiz ensure every category’s presentation is factual. Should a presenter declare a false winner for any reason, they are prepared to tell the nearest stage manager, who will immediately alert the show’s producers.

Cullinan and Ruiz, who spoke to The Huffington Post last week, say the exact procedure is unknown because no mistake of that kind has been made in the Oscars’ 88-year history.

“We would make sure that the correct person was known very quickly,” Cullinan said. “Whether that entails stopping the show, us walking onstage, us signaling to the stage manager — that’s really a game-time decision, if something like that were to happen. Again, it’s so unlikely.”

Cullinan is one of the people you see running out there to correct things.

Can't wait to hear the unsavory side of the internet get all pissy that the majority black cast movie stole the award because of affirmative action/SJWs screeching.

Not actually looking forward to this.

UberTag

Man, that's what we call a shocking finish. Seems like reality keeps doling these things out.

Anyhow, here's a pic I have yet to share of Barry Jenkins and crew from the premiere of Moonlight at TIFF back in September when I had the pleasure of giving this year's Best Picture winner and its cast a standing ovation after its screening.

thumbnail_IMG_2783.jpg

Really solid Q&A, too. Film festivals rock, y'all.

Love all the posts in the main thread not buying that it was a mixup. I'm assuming they also don't believe we landed on the moon and that Harvey didn't die at the end of TDK.

AlexBasch

Guess who had his entire text thrown into the fucking garbage near the damn deadline at the newspaper I work at because of this fuckup.

I mean it's cool that Moonlight won but fucking hell Warren Beatty, I had to start over! Haha

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The spirit of Steve Harvey is still alive.

And yeah, it is "Before" OP. Thread title makes it sound like the stage was in chaos after Moonlight won.

Parahan

Love all the posts in the main thread not buying that it was a mixup. I'm assuming they also don't believe we landed on the moon and that Harvey didn't die at the end of TDK.

I believe in all of that expect this. Really not sure they printed Emma stone on best picture card or mixed it up. It seems like a select few knew about this but what was happening on stage with Kimmel and the actors it all was real. They were set up for drama I think.

Ithil

I believe in all of that expect this. Really not sure they printed Emma stone on best picture card or mixed it up. It seems like a select few knew about this but what was happening on stage with Kimmel and the actors it all was real. They were set up for drama I think.

For god's sake. They just accidentally gave Beatty the backup Best Actress envelope. It was just a dumb mistake.

They did a Steve Harvey?! HAHA Glad Moonlight won. La La Land was too tame, and would have spelled Oscars going backwards in their love of Hollywood, this is better progress. And a muslim winnning an Oscar woohoo!

For god's sake. They just accidentally gave Beatty the backup Best Actress envelope. It was just a dumb mistake.
this. if you think otherwise you're a complete fool.

my reaction to the mixup: who cares? La la land people are all young and will again. Handled it gracefully. Everyone came out of this looking fine.

farisr

I always thought that the "x film has y nominations and has won z awards tonight" part was pre-recorded. Didn't know it was done live.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Yup. It was the nightmare scenario production mistake.

On the plus side, at least we know now that Marisa Tomei really was the winner on the card for the 1993 Oscars.

That's ridiculous. Warren Beatty and them didn't even open the envelope when they announced Llaland.

what are you talking about? you clearly didn't see what happened.

he opened it and thought something was wrong which is why he didnt announce the winner. his copresenter Faye thought he was messing around and when she looked at it just blurted out the first thing she saw which was lala land, not knowing he was given the wrong card that also said emma stone.

it wasnt Warrens fault. they gave him the wrong card.

kevin1025

Banned
After this and The Village, I don't trust movies anymore. Who do I even believe now?

And Rules Don't Apply, even. Warren Beatty has ruined my future relationships. With film characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom