• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars: Chaos on stage after 'Moonlight' wins best Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
They mistakenly had the card for best actress.

I stil couldn't buy it. Haven't the whole Oscar organizers synced every materials for the show beforehand?

I can't imagine the one who typed the winners on screen (operator?) were typing it manually as the announcers revealed the winner. They should've set everything up already. If it was a mistake by the one who handed the card, the displayed winner would still be La La Land. Unless if the operator changed it to Moonlight as soon as they heard the winner has changed. Which is weird and shows the lack of coordination from the whole team for a show this big.

SkyOdin

I stil couldn't buy it. Haven't the whole Oscar organizers synced every materials for the show beforehand?

I can't imagine the one who typed the winners on screen (operator?) were typing it manually as the announcers revealed the winner. They should've set everything up already. If it was a mistake by the one who handed the card, the displayed winner would still be La La Land. Unless if the operator changed it to Moonlight as soon as they heard the winner has changed. Which is weird and shows the lack of coordination from the whole team for a show this big.

The technical team probably didn't know who the winners were going to be. Only the people with the envelopes knew ahead of time. The people running the Oscars don't want the results to leak early, since that ruins the big draw for the show. As a result, only as few people as possible know the winners ahead of time. If the technical people knew who the winners were, it is almost guaranteed that the results would leak. So, the team behind the show just had graphics and music effects ready to go for every possible winner. Click button 1 on the screen if Moonlight won, click button 2 if Arrival won, etc. Running any live show involves a certain degree of improvisation, after all.

Gnome

Shit, I started typing up a furious rebuttle but then I realized that I couldn't actually remember the other 4 movies you were talking about.

edit: Oh wait, Fences. I liked Fences.

Fences was good, but typically a Best Picture film is better than the sum of its parts, and Fences is propped up heavily by the performances and a script that was less "adapted" and more so "transcribed" to film from stage. To me the movie as a whole doesn't exceed those two pieces which end up defining anything noteworthy about it. It also brought nothing new to the already acclaimed material which Denzel and Viola have won Tony's for because they've been performing the parts for like the past 10 years together.

It's more likely that the operators had a bunch of presets ready to play depending who'd win. The whole mistake could go as long as they did precisely because only two people actually knew who the winners are beforehand and the Oscars take pride on that fact.

- J - D -

Fences was good, but typically a Best Picture film is better than the sum of its parts, and Fences is propped up heavily by the performances and a script that was less "adapted" and more so "transcribed" to film from stage. To me the movie as a whole doesn't exceed those two pieces which end up defining anything noteworthy about it. It also brought nothing new to the already acclaimed material which Denzel and Viola have won Tony's for because they've been performing the parts for like the past 10 years together.

I've never seen the original play so the film was a greater surprise to me. That said, it does feel like a transcription of the stage play at times, I can't disagree. In any case I wouldn't have put it above the 5 you mentioned so it's moot anyway despite even not thinking much of Hacksaw Ridge.

Mimosa97

Moonlight was the best picture of the year. Lala land is a really good movie but not worthy of best picture imo. Same for Manchester by the sea.

I feel like this year the academy nailed it for every category except maybe best cinematography (should have gone to Arrival).

Naomie Harris got robbed though (even though I love viola)

Moonlight was the best picture of the year. Lala land is a really good movie but not worthy of best picture imo. Same for Manchester by the sea.

I feel like this year the academy nailed it for every category except maybe best cinematography (should have gone to Arrival).

Naomie Harris got robbed though (even though I love viola)
I haven't seen Fences yet, but who did screaming faces better?

giphy.gif

Gnome

I haven't seen Fences yet, but who did screaming faces better?
Viola "should have been in lead actress category" Davis had snot and tears running out of her face during her screaming and actually did do better imo, as unbelievable as that is. Harris still got robbed though because of wrong category and all that.

Viola "should have been in lead actress category" Davis had snot and tears running out of her face during her screaming and actually did do better imo, as unbelievable as that is. Harris still got robbed though because of wrong category and all that.
Awesome. I should go see Fences and Hidden Figures as a twofer tomorrow.

That depends on what each movie is remembered for, of course, because of this whole debacle, both will be remembered imo.

That said, I disagree with your metric in general. Transformers: Dark of the Moon made over $1.1 billion at the box office, who even remembers the plot of that film?

This is not the way film history works at all

Taken to the extreme, yes most eyeballs doesn't necessarily mean more remembered but these are two substantial, loved movies, that more people saw one than the other will make a difference in legacy.

If you turn up your volume and listen, right after Dunnaway announces La La Land and the camera turns to the producers, you can hear her say "It says Emma Stone..."

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Insane! But it made sense why he looked in the envelope looking for another card thing once explained.

They really should have just said "Uhhhh, help guys it's the wrong thing." I know millions are watching but that would have been way better than what actually happened lol.

Honestly I'm surprised the show didn't just try to sweep it all under the rug and pretend that was the winner instead of looking like fools, or like "We'll fix it all later." and just finish the show normally without that oops moment being immortalized forever on camera.

Also, with how easily it (apparently) can happen we can wonder how often it has happened before that did just get covered up lol? The conspiracy theories run rampant! I know there were already a couple of 'famous' ones.

It won't be remembered or watched as much because society is still very low-key homophobic and completely apathetic towards queer (and black) people and their struggles. Hence, why a Hollywood musical revolving around straight white people is more celebrated.

And also, Jimmy Kimmel as host was terrible, but at least he made some dumb joke about the reaction/hypocrisy his joke about the one (minor) gay sexual scene in Moonlight got with the Oscar's audience. Yeah, its great that all you straight people like patting yourselves on the back and clearing your consciouses for being all for LGBT rights or whatever; but when it comes to normalizing anything other heterosexual sex scenes in significant films, lets just suppress that to all hell and joke about it as if a short and rather innocent and inexplicit scene depicting sex between two people of same sex is the weirdest and most gross thing ever that you have to skip through it. Yup, doesn't affect the mental health and well-being of LGBT people, at all, none-whatsoever. Totally doesn't make us feel like freaks of nature and unworthy of mainstream representation at all.

tl;dr: Fuck society.

FWIW, my wife and I found the beach scene hot as hell.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What whacky world am I living in where La La Land and Moonlight aren't both great movies?
seriously. some ridiculous shit going on when people talk about these two movies, including this whole discussion about which one is going to be forgotten or not.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here since it's got some explanation on how it can happen.

Huffington Post did an article on what would happen if the wrong name was read just yesterday.

Cullinan is one of the people you see running out there to correct things.

Seeing Cullinan on the videos made me wondering why Matt Damon was on stage and how one can look different in the movies and in real life.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
seriously. some ridiculous shit going on when people talk about these two movies, including this whole discussion about which one is going to be forgotten or not.

This is gaf, if one is amazing the other must therefore be worse than Hitler.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The Rock posted this on instagram. He was ready to do a run-in. lol

The Rock said:
psl5QxX.jpg

�� You can literally see my wheels spinnin' on whether or not I should hit the stage and take down an Oscars producer who I thought went rogue and was trying to sabotage our final moment of the night as La La Land was accepting for Best Picture.
Seconds before this I saw out of the corner of my eye, the producer saying loudly, "NO IT'S MOONLIGHT, the winner is MOONLIGHT!" as he walked up onto the stage.
When he walked on stage, I remember sitting up and saying to @laurenhashianofficial, "What the f*cks he doing?". She grabbed my arm and said, "Oh my God, they made a mistake". The rest was history.
In crazy moments like that, we need leaders to step up and take charge... I give La La Land producer, Jordan Horowitz much respect for stepping up to the mic and calling the Moonlight filmmakers and actors to the stage to accept their award.
Thankfully, Jordan gave us the clarity we needed, because as much as I love and adore Meryl, I was willing to rumble over her to take down the producer going rogue. ��

No business like show business. #Oscars #ThatLook #MattDamonWasReadyToGoBourne #IWasReadyToGoHobbs #LetsDoThis

Jimmy was on Simmons podcast today. Great behind the scenes stuff from Kimmel, especially the part about what his last joke was supposed to be.

Poor Cousin Sal too...a year of close calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom