• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian last names lead to fewer job interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...last-names-lead-to-fewer-job-interviews-still

What's in a name? A lot, according to a new study from researchers at Ryerson University and the University of Toronto, both in Canada.

The study found that job applicants in Canada with Asian names — names of Indian, Pakistani or Chinese origin — were 28 percent less likely to get called for an interview compared to applicants with Anglo names, even when all the qualifications were the same. Researchers used data from a previous study conducted in 2011 where they sent out 12,910 fictitious resumes in response to 3,225 job postings. The previous study, also in Canada, similarly found that applicants with Anglo first names and Asian last names didn't fare much better than applicants with Asian first and last names.

"Some people still believe that minorities have an advantage," said one of the study authors, Jeffrey Reitz, a sociologist at the University of Toronto. "These studies are important to challenge that and show that not only is this kind of discrimination happening, but it's quite systemic."

Reitz, who completed his undergraduate and graduate degrees in the United States and has conducted numerous studies comparing race relations in the two North American countries, says this kind of discrimination is prevalent in the U.S. as well. "It's a very intense belief that we're a multicultural country in the way that the U.S. is not. But it's not terribly different in the two countries," said Reitz.

A two-year study published in the Administrative Science Quarterly Journal found that Asian job candidates in the U.S. were almost twice as likely to receive a call back if they whitened their resumes by changing their names and excluding race-based honors and organizations. (The same was true for African-American candidates).

Last year, a young Asian-American named Tiffany Trieu who applied for a graphic design position received a letter from the president of the studio denying her the job because "we've hired so many foreign nationals that it seems time for us to hire an American, or be unfair." Trieu was born in the United States.

In the same year, the U.S. Department of Labor filed an administrative lawsuit against Palantir Technologies alleging that the data mining startup systematically discriminated against Asian job applicants. The case claimed that while 77 percent of applicants for several engineering positions were Asian, less than 15 percent of the people hired were Asian. Palantir has denied these allegations of discrimination and the case is still pending.

The kind of discrimination described in the study often goes unnoticed because statistics often portray Asian-Americans as doing quite well — one of the best educated, highest income racial groups in the United States. But such statistics belie the fact that they're still not treated equally in comparison to their white counterparts. What's more, data on Asian-Americans is rarely broken up sufficiently so that it differentiates between Cambodian-Americans and Korean-Americans. That level of generalization can skew perceptions of how parts of the population are doing in certain regards.

Reitz said that when researchers of the studies cited above asked employers to explain why they called fewer Asian applicants, they usually received a response along the lines of, "Well, you see an Asian name and you know that language problems are going to be there."

For many Asian-Americans, this kind of discrimination means that the pressure to change their names and shed the perpetual foreigner stereotype is strong. In 2009, Texas state representative Betty Brown suggested during House testimony that all Chinese-Americans change their names to ones "we could deal with more readily here." But for many, those Asian names given at birth hold a lot of meaning. As Quartz writer Zheping Huang wrote, "This is the only name that I feel I belong to."

One point that i feel is particularly interesting is that the combo of white first name + asian last name does not fare that much better than asian first name + asian last name.

I already posted this in the Asian-GAF thread, but here's my favorite part:

Reitz said that when researchers of the studies cited above asked employers to explain why they called fewer Asian applicants, they usually received a response along the lines of, "Well, you see an Asian name and you know that language problems are going to be there."
Like, wow. They're just so casually racist here.

Cyanity

Banned
And people like [most of my family tbh] still get defensive and/or angry when you try to suggest that this is a racist country.

Proelite

I already posted this in the Asian-GAF thread, but here's my favorite part:

Like, wow. They're just so casually racist here.

Seriously, they can afford to read the rest of the resume to figure that out. Someone who's gone to college in the US or have been working for a few years should not have language issues. Unless by language they actually mean culture.

L Thammy

There's no separate numbers for South Asians and East Asians here, is there? Scanned the article and didn't notice any. I'm curious about that.

i-Lo

In this ever present time of discrimination, I guess I got lucky with my family's last name. It's what I use when conversing with acquaintances and is far easier to remember for them.

Pau

If only there was a realistic way to strip names from resumes. It's doable in the beginning of the process but once they decide to contact you and see your name, I guess they can drop you last minute. :/

SRG01

For those of you who recognize Chloe Bennet from Agents of SHIELD: she actually had to change her last name from Wang to Bennet in order to get auditions :(

DJ_Lae

Before he retired my old boss told me part of the reason he chose his daughters' names. He figured that people would still be inclined to gloss over female names in the hiring process, so he chose them unisex names so that their gender wouldn't be immediately identifiable.

They're white, of course, so he didn't have to dodge anything there, but I'd imagine once you start stacking minority on top the response rates would fall further.

I don't see it changing any time soon, unfortunately.

Apathy

add this to the list of studies that show having a name that doesn't sound white means theres a chance minorities are gonna get screwed over.

L Thammy

People always ask me what my Indian name is and why I have an "American" first name.

��

If you don't mind me asking, do you have an Indian last name? I'm lucky enough to have both European names, never gotten a fuss over it. Though it might be people thinking that I'm Hispanic, I dunno.

For those of you who recognize Chloe Bennet from Agents of SHIELD: she actually had to change her last name from Wang to Bennet in order to get auditions :(

This is incredibly common for actors, isn't it? I know there are also a bunch of Jewish people who more Anglo-Saxon names. Like John Stewart (Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz).

Yeah, as Chloe Wang, unhirable. As Chloe Bennet, one of the leads in a Marvel show while people bitch about Marvel not hiring any Asians as leads.

SRG01

This is incredibly common for actors, isn't it? I know there are also a bunch of Jewish people who more Anglo-Saxon names. Like John Stewart (Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz).

That was more during an era where stage names were more common-place, I think?

Yeah, as Chloe Wang, unhirable. As Chloe Bennet, one of the leads in a Marvel show while people bitch about Marvel not hiring any Asians as leads.

Interestingly, Agents of SHIELD is probably Marvel's most diverse cast outside of Luke Cage and Black Panther.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much the same with all ethnic names, really. At some point people will have to do blind resumes and not include any personal information whatsoever.

There really needs to be a shift in hiring processes. Enough holes have been poked in the usual resume and interview system. Not that I know a good alternative.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thank goodness I was named after a white guy. And my last name is so often mispronounced that it sounds like it could be white. And in some cases it's botched completely into a white last name lol. Also you know it's fucked up when I was worried that my aunt named her son a really ethnic sounding name. First thing I thought of was yep he's going to have issues later in life solely because he has a really Filipino name. And I was thinking like that 12 years ago when I was still in high school.

There really needs to be a shift in hiring processes. Enough holes have been poked in the usual resume and interview system. Not that I know a good alternative.

Name blind hiring is a thing that exists, so part of the solution is already known. Strip out all the inessential parts and just leave the things that the decisions should be getting made on, like work history and qualifications. Interviews are a harder problem to solve, but you can control for things like who's on the board conducting it.

ezrarh

For one of my first professional job interviews, the HR lady on the phone complimented my speaking skills because she assumed I'd be a poor speaker cause Asian in engineering = terrible at speaking and afraid of people. If I have to apply to new jobs in the future, I do wonder if it's better to go by a different name but the whole references thing would be awkward to sort through.

jerry113

Banned
Seriously, they can afford to read the rest of the resume to figure that out. Someone who's gone to college in the US or have been working for a few years should not have language issues. Unless by language they actually mean culture.

maybe i need to start including my sat scores to show that i scored high on the verbal

If you don't mind me asking, do you have an Indian last name? I'm lucky enough to have both European names, never gotten a fuss over it. Though it might be people thinking that I'm Hispanic, I dunno.

Nope. My last name is shared by a lot of white people lol. Only my middle name is indian.

Cels

people often assume asian appearance/name = bad at english or foreigner. it's just another example of the "otherness" asian people experience even if they are born and raised in america or canada or whereever.

for example i was in puerto rico doing a cave adventure and the lead guide was telling us about problems he had with prior groups. he said there was a chinese group that claimed to understand english until they didn't follow his instructions and held up the entire group due to the language barrier. then he looked at my friend (korean-american) and asked him whether his english was good. like yo.

LionPride

Banned
Is this a surprise? It happens to Hispanic/Latinos, us, Asians, brown people. Been happening. Dean Hernandez, Devonta Johnson, Melisea Wu, Ali Abdul-Rauf, all random names I made up that have less of a chance of getting an interview than whatever a "white sounding" is.

Like, it's sad I have to be thankful I wasn't named Tyrone, Deshaun, or the fact I have an acceptable last name. Sucks for minorities in the job market sometimes.

milkham

At the last two places I worked at, I've overheard people comment on how good my english was.
One was, "Your asian has better english than our asian" when talking to someone else working on my shift.
Another was a lady in management who thought my english was impressive meanwhile, her accent was thick enough that I often had no idea what she was saying to me.

I read this article about that chick from Agents of Shield changing her last name to her dad's American last name and getting more callbacks for work. Sucks because I am Asian and I feel the struggle.

wandering

Banned
I'm honestly surprised. I thought Asians were seen as "the good ones" compared to other minorities.

People like to say that when they want to put down other minorities, but it's pretty painfully obvious Asians are discriminated against just like everyone else.

jimmypython

yep. I am Asian and I am in Canada.

This is what I am experiencing right now.

"Why is your English so good?" is one major and common comment I hear from meeting white people for the first time.

I'm honestly surprised. I thought Asians were seen as "the good ones" compared to other minorities.
That's actually a huge problem, as it emphasizes the "otherness" of this group from both whites and "the bad ones." It leads to both sides hand-waving away this group's problems because they don't have it as bad as certain other groups, which is why it's okay to just be casually racist towards this group.

I'm a minority, but I have pretty much the whitest first and last name. I had a person tell me, I wasn't what they expected when I showed up for an interview.

The study found that job applicants in Canada with Asian names — names of Indian, Pakistani or Chinese origin — were 28 percent less likely to get called for an interview compared to applicants with Anglo names, even when all the qualifications were the same.

Dam Son

This weird thing I see where some Asians try to be accepted as white freaks me the fuck out.
It shouldn't. "White" is a shifting classification, and it wasn't that long ago that a lot of groups we today consider white without a second thought, like Italian Americans, or Polish Americans, or German Americans, for example, weren't considered "white."

I do interviews for my company, and if I can't be 100% sure I am pronouncing a name right I am a lot less likely to call them for an interview. So maybe that is part of it.

yep. I am Asian and I am in Canada.

This is what I am experiencing right now.

"Why is your English so good?" is one major and common comment I hear from meeting white people for the first time.

I am from Vancouver and have never experienced this there (guess it's cause of the large population of second and third generation Asians there). Where are you from? In China I experience this often though, but I understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom