• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian last names lead to fewer job interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This weird thing I see where some Asians try to be accepted as white freaks me the fuck out.

What about Asians and other minorities who think they're white?. I know 3 active military who act like they're white and are all right wing nut jobs now.

LionPride

Banned
It shouldn't. "White" is a shifting classification, and it wasn't that long ago that a lot of groups we today consider white without a second thought, like Italian Americans, or Polish Americans, or German Americans, for example, weren't considered "white."
Here's the thing, I don't consider Italians white. At all. Germans and Polish people have shifted into becoming "white", but suffered persecution before comforming. Asians will likely never be seen as white. The ones who want desperately to be considered so, can jump through as many hoops, but you're still an Asian.

I'm honestly surprised. I thought Asians were seen as "the good ones" compared to other minorities.

surprise-motherfucker.gif

Asian Last Names exactly like Black first names.

Some of us have been saying this for years

I do interviews for my company, and if I can't be 100% sure I am pronouncing a name right I am a lot less likely to call them for an interview. So maybe that is part of it.

As an HR manager with a lot of years in the industry, let me be the first to say you're a complete disgrace, and need to find another line of work.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I have a European last name but it's incredibly rare and rarely do people pronounce it correctly and I'm third generation American and I've wondered how often that gets my resume tossed out too.

We should all just change our last names to Williams.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I am from Vancouver and have never experienced this there (guess it's cause of the large population of second and third generation Asians there). Where are you from? In China I experience this often though, but I understand why.

I feel like this happens less along the west coast. There's a number of areas where white people are in the minority, and many job places are very diverse. The Bay Area, for example.

Breakage

Well, the one of the first thing's a lot of immigrants kids do is adopt a "white" name like Tony or John. At least it was like that when I was in school.
Yeah, I thought that was one of the motivations behind adopting an English name or actually being given an English birth name especially among east Asians. It's just surprising to learn that a name like "Rebecca Duong" is no better than "Thuy Tranh".

ezrarh

Yeah, I thought that was one of motivations behind adopting an English name or actually being given an English birth name especially among east Asians. It's just surprising to learn that a name like "Rebecca Duong" is no better than "Thuy Tranh".

It makes me feel slightly better for never bothering to Anglicize my first name.

Here's the thing, I don't consider Italians white. At all. Germans and Polish people have shifted into becoming "white", but suffered persecution before comforming. Asians will likely never be seen as white. The ones who want desperately to be considered so, can jump through as many hoops, but you're still an Asian.
Maybe. Maybe not. Looks—as well as the systemic emasculation we've been handed for centuries in the West—will be the biggest obstacle, I think, but culture might not be, seeing how those other European groups that eventually became "white" had vastly different cultures that all got thrown into the western melting pot, and culture is also easier to hide behind closed doors. I don't know if it'll ever happen, but I don't think it's impossible. Either way, the end goal is to have a world where color doesn't matter, right?

It's just surprising to learn that a name like "Rebecca Duong" is no better than "Thuy Tranh".

They are looking for any reason to cut resumes. It's not about "hmmm may be born elsewhere and have poor english", it's about, "doesn't sound white".

The sooner everyone recognizes that the better.

Well, the one of the first things a lot of immigrants kids do is adopt a "white" name like Tony or John. At least it was like that when I was in school.

Has that ever led to problems, the name on the passport is different than on official school censuses/database/exam certificates?

muu

Yeah, I thought that was one of motivations behind adopting an English name or actually being given an English birth name especially among east Asians. It's just surprising to learn that a name like "Rebecca Duong" is no better than "Thuy Tranh".

Won't be surprised if people adopting an english name is one of the things that led to this. If you can't tell, might as well expect the worst, right?

My daughter took my last name (Japanese), guess she can use her middle name instead of her last name if she chooses a field where your credential didn't matter at all.

L Thammy

Maybe it's where you are. The Italians/Portuguese I grew up around seemed to consider themselves as white, and were as well integrated as they could be without losing their own ethnic identity.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This is true for most countries that have had this issue studied - as mentioned in the study itself. Swedes are more likely to hire Swedish names, Germans are more likely to hire German names. And it's nearly impossible for a foreigner to get a job in Japan.

I believe the issue is rooted in cultural bias and hiring practices. I think it's a much more complex issue than 'white people are racist.' A blind resume system would be beneficial in removing the cultural bias inherent in humans.

On a different page, I think it's completely fair for companies to not hire individuals of foreign schooling / foreign experience. That's a completely logical exclusion.

They are looking for any reason to cut resumes. It's not about "hmmm may be born elsewhere and have poor english", it's about, "doesn't sound white".

The sooner everyone recognizes that the better.
Therein lies the problem. They can't outright say they're eschewing these candidates because they don't seem white, but they can spout bullshit like they just assumed there would be a language barrier. It's no different from the good ol' college admissions threads we see every once in a while, where people will see an applicant with an Asian name and just say they aren't well-rounded or some shit like that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
And people like [most of my family tbh] still get defensive and/or angry when you try to suggest that this is a racist country.

Well that specifically is nothing to do with Canada alone, as there's no such thing as a non-racist country. Sadly, many human beings are racist, consciously or unconsciously. Happens everywhere, unfortunately.

Breakage

It makes me feel slightly better for never bothering to Anglicize my first name.
Yeah, it is sad that ppl feel the need to do this to get a job or to simply fit in. It only further reinforces the idea that having an English or Western name is some how superior.

Another L for North America. Always wondered what race people think first when they hear my name. I have a french first name and portuguese last name. Must throw them off when they see me.

N.Domixis

Banned
It's why I'm changing my name and last name to sound more "American"
Motherfuckers going to be surprised when I show up to the interview.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yeah we know Americans North Americans are racists, sometimes openly.

Sometimes? Lol.

I it here everyday. All the comments about asian people wanting to be white, small dick jokes, denying that Hollywood casting preferentially gives roles to white people instead of asian people because there are no good asiam actors.

Therein lies the problem. They can't outright say they're eschewing these candidates because they don't seem white, but they can spout bullshit like they just assumed there would be a language barrier. It's no different from the good ol' college admissions threads we see every once in a while, where people will see an applicant with an Asian name and just say they aren't well-rounded or some shit like that.

It's the reason why I always say that work places need to strive for more diversity amoung their departments. But hey what do I know?

Yeah, it is sad that ppl feel the need to do this to get a job or to simply fit in. It only further reinforces the idea that having an English or Western name is some how superior.

They're doing it for competitive advantage. Whether we like it or not we are all selling a brand when it comes to the job market and its a buyers market. I'm not gonna judge people for doing what they think is necessary to level an inherently unfair system. Who gives a fuck about pride versus bettering a dire economic situation?

Yep reminds me of the time I used to work at a bank and had countless customers compliment me on my English.

Old Lady: You speak English very well. When did you come to Canada?
Me: I was born here.
Old Lady: Welcome to Canada.

I do interviews for my company, and if I can't be 100% sure I am pronouncing a name right I am a lot less likely to call them for an interview. So maybe that is part of it.

I worked for customer service for a couple companies (thank god I have sincemoved on), the hardest names to pronounce are hands down the native Indian last names. Asian names are pretty simple to pronounce on that scale for vast majority of them.

That's horrible.

The only guy I ever hired, (we were 2 doing the interviews) was Asian.
He was pretty good during the interview, but once hired could barely understand English.
I don't know if I interviewed his twin or what...

Language can be an issue with anyone, you can get used to the accent.
The key in hiring is to go for diversity. Having folks from all around the world is great and as each university has its own curriculum, you have a better pool of knowledge if you don't favor a few of them.

If in doubt, offer a temp job first and decide if you want to make it permanent after a few months.

As someone currently looking for a job, this is disheartening to read. Casual racism irks me to no end. Asians are always seen as the perpetual foreigner, smh

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

IkRcl75.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I can understand the issue with language being a barrier, but 5% of this country is Asian. It makes no sense not to give them a try.

This is my wife and I last year meeting with my HR lady.

Me: I'd like to add my wife to my insurance.
Her: Are you sure your not this other guy that went to another country to get married?
Wife: No, we got married in California
Her: Are you sure you're not?
Me and my wife: WTF(in our heads though)

She didn't let this go easily and my wife and I spoke to her in fluent English with perfect American accents. By the time we left we were fucking confused as to why she thought we would fly all the way back to Asia to get married together. It's not like I'm making loads of money, I'm just a blue collar worker.

yep. I am Asian and I am in Canada.

This is what I am experiencing right now.

"Why is your English so good?" is one major and common comment I hear from meeting white people for the first time.

When I was studying in UK I was more shocked at the amount of English people with almost unintelligible English, and it's not the accent.

At that time I just assumed they're impressed that I could do it better than them.

mdubs

Banned

Plenty of people do this because they like the names. Don't tell us how to name ourselves, thanks.

Yep reminds me of the time I used to work at a bank and had countless customers compliment me on my English.

I used to get the same thing due to my accent and my ancestors came here in the 1600s.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
When I was studying in UK I was more shocked at the amount of English people with almost unintelligible English, and it's not the accent.

At that time I just assumed they're impressed that I could do it better than them.

I'm afraid it's just you.

nampad

As an Asian, I always knew I was getting discriminated at. The worst thing is, we don't have any lobby against the Asian discrimination/racism because white people feel like we are the "good foreigners" and we are not really having any problems.

My Syrian barber who clearly just immigrated to Germany some years ago told me "Welcome to Germany" in broken German. Considering I am born in Germany and have probably lived over 2 decades here before he even arrived, I was a bit baffled, especially because we already talked with each other ad he could hear my perfect German.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
As someone currently looking for a job, this is disheartening to read. Casual racism irks me to no end. Asians are always seen as the perpetual foreigner, smh

You should go to asia tbh. The quality of life in many places are now competitive, and you wont have a glass ceiling over your head.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Glad that I never really have to anglicise my name then, because now it's more of a protest of "why should I?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom