• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why No Ninja Gaiden 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx4610

Sonic Mania's positive reviews has me thinking of all of the games that went back to their roots. The biggest stand out to me that hasn't done this is Ninja Gaiden.

One of the quintessential 2D action games of its time and in my opinion, the tightest/precise gameplay out of all of them.

I'm not a fan of the 3D Ninja Gaidens at all. The tone, the story, the gameplay. It doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden at all.

Why not a part 4 that is 2D, challenging and a true sequel?

Devils_Third_boxart.jpg

Revas

I'd prefer a 3D return to Ninja Gaiden(Black)'s roots but I'd play a 2D version if done correctly. Apparently they're in no rush to make another game after 3 underwhelmed. I tend to think that if they don't have the ability to do the game justice there's no reason to attempt a new one, see Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Eolz

Because KT has no interest in 2D games, TN is busy with other stuff, there's no super talented fans wanting to make a 2D fangame as far we know, and there's not exactly a big nostalgia for 2D Ninja Gaiden.

It's like when people say they want a new 2D Castlevania, they usually mean a post SOTN Metroidvania sadly, not a classic one.

Renna Hazel

I'd prefer a 3D return to Ninja Gaiden(Black)'s roots but I'd play a 2D version if done correctly. Apparently they're in no rush to make another game after 3 underwhelmed. I tend to think that if they don't have the ability to do the game justice there's no reason to attempt a new one, see Mass Effect: Andromeda.

This. A 2D version would be fun but I'd greatly prefer a return to Ninja Gaiden Black/2. There is just nothing else quite like it, at least from what I've played.

Rymuth

Because of Yaiba

Maybe I can say that Nioh is a gateway into the next chapter for Ninja Gaiden. [Ninja Gaiden] is a very important, if not the most important franchise, for us. But at this point I think this franchise needs to be in the shadows for a while until we bring it back. There will be a time, and when the time is right, we will bring it back."

Hayabusa... zombies... cel-shaded... just throwing a bunch of different things into that. We don't wanna backpedal on our decisions, but it wasn't the right move, I think. But we learned a lot. Just like this Nioh experience, you only learn things by failure. And I don't think we could have made this game if we hadn't had the Yaiba experience

Psxphile

tumblr_o70jg0gurO1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

best in the business

I had always wanted to see what they could do in the 16-bit era, but all we got was a shitty port job of the first three w/ some touched up artwork.

BriGuy

The original series is way too goddamn hard and nobody today is good enough to play through a theoretical NG4.

Eolz

Can people read the OP and see that this is about the 2D series?
The title is pretty unclear to be fair, but come on, it's just some lines.

dcx4610

If you think 3 was bad, you really need to replay it.

Yeah, the story wasn't as good and it wasn't as memorable as 1 or 2 but the gameplay is perfect and no respawning enemies. It's still a hard game though and I don't think many people gave it a chance.

Coda

I would've really enjoyed the Ninja Gaiden game we all deserved. 3 had some good ideas and nice camera kills but overall the enemies and environments as a whole were as bland as they get. The game had no style.

Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 were both great IMO.

I did also enjoy Devil's Third a lot, well at least the multiplayer. The single player campaign was decent at best for me.

As far as 2D Ninja Gaiden games I agree we need more platforming 2D action games.

I recently burned a copy of Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru for the Saturn which gave me some Ninja Gaiden feels, if you've never tried it.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/taromaru/taromaru.htm

ninjaexplode.gif

Cartho

A poor mans attempt at a souls game, nioh feels like a rejected idea from From.

OP was talking about 2D.

Except the part where Nioh had a better combat system than any of the Souls series save perhaps for Bloodborne. Enemy design let it down but I think you're being very unfair - Nioh was a quality game with a superb combat system.

Jawmuncher

Can you imagine the shit storm if they went

"Ninja Gaiden 4! 2D digital only platformer this holiday".

Even with the flaws of 3 the series needs to come back as a top tier 3D action game.

Duffk1ng

The hit to miss ratio in the series is negative currently imo, or equal if you consider ngb its own game. Might as well try and fix that.

The first and ngb are excellent, 2 is just about OK if you stop at mentor difficulty and outright bad if you don't, 3 is just bad in every aspect.

Eolz

We need a new Ninja Gaiden made by team ninja in collaboration with From software (less like Nioh) and a new Shinobi made by Platinum

From already did their 3D Ninja Gaiden in the past and it wasn't good at all. Why would you even want that?

Why would you want this after Ninja Gaiden 3? The Razors Edge version was still terrible despite the fanboys trying to convince everyone otherwise early on.

Nioh 2 with some environmental and enemy variety. And better level design. These dudes suck at character action but they seem to have found their place inbetween Souls and action.

Zeextremekid

Neo Member
I'd rather have a sequel to Nioh.

The current Team Ninja imo shouldn't make another Ninja Gaiden, that was Itagaki's project that was passed on to them.

stn

Yaiba was shit, vanilla 3 was shit, and Razor's Edge was mediocre. I also do not prefer Sigma 1 or 2 over each original. Their recent record is terrible.

Hey, I liked Razor's Edge :shrug:

Didn't play Yaiba, but IIRC it wasn't the main team and it's a spin-off anyway.

I seem to remember Ninja Team saying they would like to make a NG4 in the future but wanted to focus on Nioh first..so maybe next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom