• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Twitch subscriptions are about to change, adding 2 new options

So do we even know what these higher-tiered sub options even give to the subscriber beyond more money towards the caster and some small, minor, and insignificant features?

MrS

Banned
Is there any streamer worth $25 a month?
Easy Allies
image.php

No is the answer.

antonz

Having talked to a few partnered streamers the biggest issue they have expressed is the fact Twitch wants to make a tiered subscriber system. They have no issue with the concept of getting more money but setting up the system so one set of subscribers is worth more than others is a controversial thing.

I don't think anyone can give me double the entertainment value of say Netflix

Twitch is just trying to move the whale-hunting systems that have built up from outside sites into itself. Bits/cheers were to provide a donation system other than "send your viewers to PayPal." Now they want a slice of patron money.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

What has become clear to me is that for some, twitch has replaced watching TV every night. I remember Dan with some ungodly amount of people watching him put together a desk. The plans that Twitch have for the future looks like it will end up being justin.tv 2.0 in the end. The front page advertising cooking streams, eating streams, craft streams, music streams right along side gaming streams can't be that far away.

Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers

It has always been about extracting money! Do you think they were ever in it for goodwill and happy vibes? The Amazon purchase has given them the know how and support to do more with the site, but also has given them and streamers more ways to make money. It's all optional though. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. If you don't pay you are watching ads, which is giving them money anyway.

antitrop

I sub to moonmoon for the emotes so I hope he doesn't move any to the premium caps moon2SMUG
Stupid subs who only spam stupid purple lady face in other streams. THEY RUIN MY CHAT EXPERIENCE EVERYWHERE, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WATCH MY SWEET GAMES IN PEACE IF THEY ARE ALWAYS SPAMMING THEIR STUPID SUB EMOTES

Archpath1

Is there a difference between subing plus donating now Compared to this?

Good luck twitch chat creating more division lol
Subs vs non subs, now itll be a civil war

Loxley

Having talked to a few partnered streamers the biggest issue they have expressed is the fact Twitch wants to make a tiered subscriber system. They have no issue with the concept of getting more money but setting up the system so one set of subscribers is worth more than others is a controversial thing.

Yeah, I can see where that could get a bit messy. Right now it's easy since it's a subs vs non-subs, but tossing in tiered benefits for subscribers could cause issues with a particular streamer's own communities.

Honestly I think it'll be fine, but I can see some bumps in the road at first as folks get used to it.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Back in my day entertainers were happy to work for free, they subsided off the smiles of young children. Sickening what this industry has become.

SeanTSC

If I had the disposable income for it (I don't, not even close) I'd do it for Easy Allies for sure. Though it'd be better to give directly to their Patreon either way. I'm sure there's people with money who will gladly do it for people they enjoy and want to support.

squidyj

i mean a 10 dollar tier I can sort of see, maybe you really like that streamer but uhhh, 25? if you really want to give them that much money just send in bits or donations, shouldn't tie it to the subscription system.

Twitch is just trying to move the whale-hunting systems that have built up from outside sites into itself. Bits/cheers were to provide a donation system other than "send your viewers to PayPal." Now they want a slice of patron money.

I can't see streamers with a Patreon absent last wanting people switching to a higher sub since Twitch takes way more money.

Half. It still seems better to just donate to a steamer if you like them.

They take less from strangers with more subs, but even then it's still 30-40% compared to a little more than 5% with the cut Patreon takes.

Twitch is continuing to develop ways to get curb donations and get in on the money. This is why they implemented bits. I don't see this as a great proposition just because any recurring payment that's above 15$ that isn't a bill horrifies me.

People will probably use bits and donations more when they want to shower the streamer with cash. More revenue streams aren't a bad thing though, this one just doesn't seem like it'll do well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Id think at $25 a month you could start saving for a gaming machine and all the games that that streamer plays...

No offense, but the 3 decades I've spent on earth, spending 25 or so years playing games, none of that makes sense.

I want to start an ad agency called "Game for Yourself" and get kids or young adults playing games versus spending money like this.

Don't get me wrong, nothings wrong about supporting something you believe in, but it's throwing your money away just so someone recognizes your Twitch username and something you can type out on a keyboard in the matter of seconds. To me, this is taking a lot of money from people for exploiting their hobby.

Id think at $25 a month you could start saving for a gaming machine and all the games that that streamer plays...

No offense, but the 3 decades I've spent on earth, spending 25 or so years playing games, none of that makes sense.

I want to start an ad agency called "Game for Yourself" and get kids or young adults playing games versus spending money like this.

Don't get me wrong, nothings wrong about supporting something you believe in, but it's throwing your money away just so someone recognizes your Twitch username and something you can type out on a keyboard in the matter of seconds. To me, this is taking a lot of money from people for exploiting their hobby.

Eh, people donate and subscribe to people on twitch because they like the stream and want to support the streamer. They like the personality and the show that the person is putting on. I've donated/subscribed from time to time and I still game constantly.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Eh, people donate and subscribe to people on twitch because they like the stream and want to support the streamer. They like the personality and the show that the person is putting on. I've donated/subscribed from time to time and I still game constantly.

I just see money going into places that won't actually benefit the person. No offense if you actually believe it does, but for that amount of money you could pay off bills, save up for a house, a new car, and still buy games to play. $25+ is a lot of money in today's society.

I can see $5 being ok, but those larger amounts for someone to sit at home and play games for a living is a bit much.

zugzug

You'll be surprise. There are many viewers that call their streamer "dad" because they spend 5+ hours a day everyday. Destiny the streamer has this option for years on his private site and the market speaks for itself(yeah he has tons of subs that pay him $20+ a month)

It absolutely shocks me that twitch has allowed destiny to piggyback his own site and have his own subs thru the site while using twitch. I remember there was some flack from twitch telling destiny to retain 500 subs thru twitch. Yet destiny still reaped so much using his own site while using the twitch portal and funneling his stream thru his I own site, destiny said several times he never reads twitch chat and only reads his own website video chat. Which clearly copied twitch format in every way even having his own emotes.

Twitch just allows some veterans to get away with another set of rules than new streamers.

Edit: oh on another note apparently cohh carnage has gotten enough money to have approached the people who own the S.T.A.L.K.E.R rights and written twice asking to buy the IP I heard him mention it on todays stream briefly. They did not respond either time he said.

hmm, I have five more months of paid subs with my favourite streamer. I wonder if I'd be able to upgrade to the $25 tier once he gets this option.

AtlAntA

Well outside of the people that give$100+ donations - is there a streamer out there that anyone thinks is worth $25 to regular folk?

OIC.

Well if anyone reading this thread knows of a streamer worth $25 a month lemme know. I want to see what a dedicated super-twitch streamer is like.

I really like squirrel. He is not you're average streamer. Just a really cool and nice guy. Really clean streams without swearing. I'd pay him 10 bucks a month.

Blueblur1

$5 to three streamers is already enough for me. They must be counting on trustfund kids to pay for these highers subs, no?

This is just Twitch trying to take a bigger share of the pie as there are plenty of viewers that donate this amount of money to their favourite streamers on a regular basis. (Twitch cannot take a cut on the donation money). Remember Twitch takes a 50% cut for every sub so they are raking in $12.50 at the $25 tier as opposed to $2.50.

Velcro Fly

Reaction will be the same as bits/cheering

People will be mad but get over it in a second when their favorite streamer embraces it.

Also the more gradual emote unlocks and them being permanent is great. I'm really glad Twitch seems to be listening to their streamers.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
I'd like to think that the streamers I watch and the couple that I subscribe to won't offer exclusives for the $10 and $25 tiers, but you never know. If that happens, I really don't think I can support them any more with views or even a "basic" subscription.

Plus you just know there's going to be that guy that locks all of their emotes behind the $25 tier.

It varies from streamer to streamer. I believe the "max" that they take is 50% on the monthly $4.99 subscription fee. So for every $5 sub, the Partners get $2.50. I've heard of some Partners getting more than that, but nobody really talks about it.

I know MOONMOON_OW has mentioned he gets 3 something(I want to say 3.20) for every sub.

lmimmfn

Honestly, I'll admit, I don't understand why people even watch streamer's

I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly don't see the appeal

imBask

Banned
Honestly, I'll admit, I don't understand why people even watch streamer's

I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly don't see the appeal

Background noise

I never sit down and JUST watch a stream. I'm playing overwatch with a stream on my second monitor right now

Toad.T

Banned
Really, if you have enough income after family/food/utilities to support someone like this, then you probably aren't living a rewarding life. You could use that money to see a sport of your choice, go to a play, donate to a cause, support actual arts instead of e-buskers that make funny noises while they play video games.

I do not live a rewarding life.

NorthEastMonk said:
I just see money going into places that won't actually benefit the person. No offense if you actually believe it does, but for that amount of money you could pay off bills, save up for a house, a new car, and still buy games to play. $25+ is a lot of money in today's society.

Or yeah, what the monk said. (Only saw this after I made this post.)

atr0cious

Background noise

I never sit down and JUST watch a stream. I'm playing overwatch with a stream on my second monitor right now
Yup, my only sub is to a guy speed running dark souls, and i don't even really like those games. I randomly clicked his stream to see if "high level" was something I was missing and just ended up keeping the stream on for his voice and personality. Most of the time, unless his current run is far along, I have the stream on audio only, and read gaf or play something.

Rains

I Am lost with the whole paying to watch people play video games even watching them for free is does not appeal also do they get ad revenue aswell like youtube what am i missing ?

Also twich taking 50% lmao wow

Top Bottom