• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Twitch subscriptions are about to change, adding 2 new options

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, some of these streamers are about to make a killing. People like Summit, who already have over 24,000 subscribers, will likely have a decent percent of those people willing to spend more than $5 per month.

Apathy

I didn't realize twitch took up to 50%. I thought it was like 25-30% at most. Geeze, 50% is a crazy amount from streamers

Apathy

Twitch is rich!

tumblr_lyc51tCVGv1r03eaxo1_400.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
I didn't realize twitch took up to 50%. I thought it was like 25-30% at most. Geeze, 50% is a crazy amount from streamers

There are costs of running the platform. Including a large amount of streams that aren't partnered at all and have no subs.

Anyway, many Twitch streamers get most of their money from third party donations which they also tried to bring in house with "Cheer" emotes that I'm guessing wasn't very successful considering almost every popular stream I've looked at is still using third party donations.

Honestly, I'll admit, I don't understand why people even watch streamer's

I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly don't see the appeal

For me it's mostly something to have on in the background while doing other things. Then I got into Speedruns after the GDQ earlier this year and found a couple streamers who play older games I love and that's even better.

I get that it does seem strange, anytime I tell people what I do or watch it's literally the same response "You watch people play videogames? Really?" but hey, I find it fun so why not.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I remember people being able to donate any amount they wanted through Twitch, did they axe that completely in favour of the subscriber model? The only issue I have is if this creates "tiers" of subs, because streamers do turn the chat to "sub-mode" occasionally, and I'd be miffed if I gave someone 5 bucks, then couldn't comment if they ran 25 dollar sub-mode regularly.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I remember people being able to donate any amount they wanted through Twitch, did they axe that completely in favour of the subscriber model? The only issue I have is if this creates "tiers" of subs, because streamers do turn the chat to "sub-mode" occasionally, and I'd be miffed if I gave someone 5 bucks, then couldn't comment if they ran 25 dollar sub-mode regularly.

most donations don't go through Twitch. it's only if the are using Cheers that Twitch gets a cut.

Shai-Tan

Banned
For me it's mostly something to have on in the background while doing other things. Then I got into Speedruns after the GDQ earlier this year and found a couple streamers who play older games I love and that's even better.

I get that it does seem strange, anytime I tell people what I do or watch it's literally the same response "You watch people play videogames? Really?" but hey, I find it fun so why not.

Aside from variety streaming which is more about the personality of the streamer there are some types of games where there is an "educational" aspect e.g. learning different characters in Dota or how to deck build and play decks in Hearthstone.

What is also missed is the community aspect of it. It really is just an IRC chat room bolted on to a video stream. Some of them are chaos but 2000 and less users you can still have regular conversations.

Goronmon

Neo Member
There are costs of running the platform. Including a large amount of streams that aren't partnered at all and have no subs.

Yeah, people seem to have this strange notion that a platform for streaming high-quality video to thousands upon thousands of mostly non-paying users is some form of "easy money". I mean, if I was going to try to build an internet business, something like Twitch or Youtube is probably the last thing I would ever attempt.

If you have to ask if $25 is worth it you can't afford it anyways so don't do it. Somebody like Lirik and Summit1G (I have seen one dude give 2 $10k donations back to back) are going to make a killing.

atr0cious

How does it feel to be a poor $4.99 sub pleb?

You know its coming, glorious sub peer pressure
Doesn't it say the bigger donations just mean concurrent $5 subs? If anything, this will be used for people to not have to worry about subtrains and subscriber benefits. I'm sure there will be just as many people using them as subs in advance as there are tipping.

I haven't viewed on Twitch in years, but I do have Twitch Prime. Will the whole "choose 1 streamer to subscribe to for free" still take place?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers

100% this.

So glad I don't watch Twitch anymore, and I was a HUGE fan back in the JustinTV/Early Twitch days. Once it became about money, more and more streamers started acting obnoxious, filling up the screen with bullshit, and focusing on how to get donations from their viewers. That's when I said fuck this, I'm out!

It's been a good year or so since I stopped going to Twitch and I don't miss it one bit. Spectating matches at FightCade is where it's at for me.

I think people are mistaken blaming twitch, this is 100% the esport players/org doing.
We saw this last year with those insane demands of Riot Games.

Halabane

Its the internets form of panhandling. Its a game in the background and the rest is begging for money. If people are willing so be it. I feel sorry for some of them because they are suffering from some mental health issue where they are confusing these people as their friend. Some of these streamers are going to have very severe stalker problems when they say the wrong thing to one of them. The whole thing seems like a set up for a steven king horror novel.

100% this.

So glad I don't watch Twitch anymore, and I was a HUGE fan back in the JustinTV/Early Twitch days. Once it became about money, more and more streamers started acting obnoxious, filling up the screen with bullshit, and focusing on how to get donations from their viewers. That's when I said fuck this, I'm out!

It's been a good year or so since I stopped going to Twitch and I don't miss it one bit. Spectating matches at FightCade is where it's at for me.

In the end it helps the streamers, and they're the ones broadcasting games so....

Its the internets form of panhandling. Its a game in the background and the rest is begging for money. If people are willing so be it. I feel sorry for some of them because they are suffering from some mental health issue where they are confusing these people as their friend. Some of these streamers are going to have very severe stalker problems when they say the wrong thing to one of them. The whole thing seems like a set up for a steven king horror novel.

Sure, 'mental health issue', The only streams I know getting direct pay from Twitch are Esports channels like the Riot channels and ESL, and Games done Quick. Everyone else is at the mercy of the audience.

Wheatly

Damn, some of these streamers are about to make a killing. People like Summit, who already have over 24,000 subscribers, will likely have a decent percent of those people willing to spend more than $5 per month.

Damn, so he's making >$1 million/year if counting ad money and donations.

ISee

Sounds like twitch wants that Patreon money.
In general I never even considered to support someone with more than 5€/month because watching someone play games all the time is a rather boring concept to me. Granted I'm sometimes watching ENB for an hour if he plays a new souls game or take a look into a TIHYDP (DSP), but even that gets boring rather fast. The only YT creators I'm supporting are the EZA guys and even there 5€/month are enough imo.

Anth0ny

Is there any streamer worth $25 a month?

I don't think anyone can give me double the entertainment value of say Netflix

The answer is always yes for thousands of people out there.

People donate thousands of dollars to streamers just because. Not for charity, not because the streamer needs the money, not because the streamer just broke a world record or did something awesome. The streamer will just be playing the game on stream and suddenly "luigilover69 has donated $1000.00" will pop up on the screen.

It's kinda like the whale phenomenon with mobile games. 99% of people think "Who the hell would give a streamer that much money a month?". But that 1% absolutely exists, and they're willing to pay $25 and then some.

Trace

Banned
Man some of yall in this thread are fucked. I would never pay $25 a month to a streamer, but you literally cannot see that some people enjoy watching streamers and would pay money for them? It's no different than watching any other kind of entertainment, with the added benefit that streamers interact with you as well.

takriel

Same. Nothing strange about it. Just another way to recuperate from work for me. Others watch 24 hours news networks, sitcoms, or other dumb stuff. Everyone has their quirks.

ChrisD

I don't know how much Patreon takes from pledges, but wouldn't streamers still be better off just keeping one of those?

That and (continue to?) promote donations over subs.

Having a tiered option there in people's face will still pull in more money though, so eh. It will do its job.

komplanen

When I was younger I could never have imagined people paying $24.99 to watch someone or a group of people play video games "on TV" but it's an option and I could see myself paying such a sum for a month maybe two if I was really deep into a game like I used to be for WoW or DayZ.

Though I have to admit so far I've never even donated or subscribed to anyone, but I could see it happening.

Ruff

I'll never understand people give money to twitch streamers tbh. Only person I ever donated to was Kyle McCarley for 5$ and that's only because he's the lead voice actor in the game he was playing and voiced a lot of unvoiced lines on stream, also brought in some of the other actors and had them do their lines. But people who throw out 100$+ on the regular? Hell no.

LycanXIII

TotalBiscuit just posted a piece about the new tiers and how he's not going to use them. However, there was an interesting part that I've seen mentioned in this thread.

Oh and one final thing that people keep bringing up. Twitch doesn't take 50% of sub fees from everyone. Some people are on better agreements, much better. We're one of those people, which is why we value the subscription system as much as we do rather than promoting any kind of 3rd party subscription or patron-like service. This is what we're comfortable with and frankly I don't think it's reasonable for a channel as successful as ours to ask for donations or patronage. We'd rather do business through ads, merch, sponsorships and Twitch subs.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spqcfc

Velcro Fly

Everybody hopping on the Twitch gravy train soon.

This is cool for a guy I watch occasionally that has had the goal to become a partner but hasn't quite made it in terms of viewers. He definitely would qualify as an affiliate though.

JustinBB7

24k subs? Damn, lets say it's 50/50 and he gets 2.50 a month x 24k.. that's 60k a month right? And like mentioned before he's most likely one of the streamers that doesn't even have 50/50 either, and that's not counting donations/bits etc. God these guys are swimming in money.

Top Bottom